Admitted to Oxford

Hi Guys, I know a few people now who are admitted to Oxford. So i thought we should start this thread. Keep the posts coming in … with all news and concerns that you have. post admission, accomodation, visa and travel discussion wi…

Hi Guys,

I know a few people now who are admitted to Oxford.
So i thought we should start this thread.

Keep the posts coming in .. with all news and concerns that you have.
post admission, accomodation, visa and travel discussion will be part of this thread.

Amit, Nags
Whats your final call ?

Couple of non PG members i know.. will ask them to join and post on this thread as well.

Looking to BUILD a network

Cheers
D

Hi Guys,

post admission, accomodation, visa and travel discussion will be part of this thread.

Amit, Nags
Whats your final call ?

Couple of non PG members i know.. will ask them to join and post on this thread as well.

Cheers
D

hi,

Can you give me a picture of the Loans available
Hi Guys,

Amit, Nags
Whats your final call ?

Cheers
D
can u share more about the course structure and exact content? am totally unaware of this

Hye Dheerin, Nice idea in starting this thread.
And yeah no loans are available currently as the HSBC relationship has broken.

Well I contacted Sarah she suggested that I should search for funding in my home country. Havnt replied yet, but planning on asking them to differ the admit till the funding is in place. If they dont give me more time I might just ditch the Oxford offer and go in for Cambridge.

Morbidkk, As for the course structure a regular 1 year MBA which starts in October. Check out their website for more details.

Hi Amit /Nags and other ppl gng to oxford

can ya ppl give us details of ure profiles.what are the chances of gtg an admission when applyg for the third deadline?

i insist our seniors to provide us with their profile so that we can have a clear picture of the traits that helped them to go to these intitutes. these things can decide our future in a better way.......
i hope all seniors will be happy in doing the same

i insist our seniors to provide us with their profile so that we can have a clear picture of the traits that helped them to go to these intitutes. these things can decide our future in a better way.......
i hope all seniors will be happy in doing the same

Kiddo, you sure havent heard much about B-schools abroad. Firstly, the profiles of guys who made it doesnt decide ur chances & secondly, whats the matter with you - insist! Be happy if the guys even care to share! Theres no reason why anyone should even bother to put their profile... be modest, for chrissake! :neutral:

Simbaaaaaaaa

Hey Sunny,
If you search for all posts by a particular member I am sure you will find their profile and their experiences. Otherwise most of the people have their blogs and U can check the blog for details.
vish_me_luck you can apply for the 3rd round but be aware of two things (1) there is no chance of financial aid in the 3rd round (2) The competition is ging to be more intense so U need a application which is strong is all respects.

-Amit

Does Cambridge give guaranteed loan option?

If they dont give me more time I might just ditch the Oxford offer and go in for Cambridge.

hi simba,
being modest for the last 3 months i am still waiting for the seniors to share their qualities which we can inculcate in the coming times so that we can increase our chances at good b-school...i never said that their admission willl increase my chances but surely their good qualities if they can share will definitely increase my chnaces...
but seeing the time length i suppose either the seniors don't have time to guide juniors or they are not willing for the same.....so i thought insisting somebody to know good about him won't be a bad idea....
anyways as guided by amit i will serach for specific info on blogs and lets c what i can get from there.....

Hi guys,

Here is the Oxford MBA in a nut shell...
1 yr prog,
starts in Oct
2 projects of about 6-8 weeks each
1 yr working permit upon graduation( under HSMP scheme)

My profile...
BE comp science
working in TCS for 2 yrs now
Part time DJ
played handball and badminton at state and national level...

As for the profile.. i dont think it determines the fate of ur application at a school...
Ur essays shud speak about the maturity you talk in ur CV !!
if u say that in 1 yr you are a project leader in a company as big as TCS then dude.. ur essays have tpo bring out very mature incidents and evaluations of issues and stuff...

Basically, dont "not apply" to a school cos ur gmat is lower than the avg or ur work exp is lower than avg...
U must remember these are avg figures and are poeple below and above this figure.. u can fit anywhere !! cant u ???

while u look at a school... (assuming by now u are sure about what ur career goals are and how an MBA fits in there)
keep in mind..
Funds
Duration of the course
Placements
Specialization (if u have finalized one)
Location of the school
Learning opportunities and opportunities to interact with the employers in that region..

Use a scoring system for each of these( give points to which one holds more importance to u)
and then come up with a list of schools...

once you have that.. then start looking at student profiles.. contact alumni and current students..

Hope this helps !!

Cheers
D

Hi Gyro,

Cambridge doesnt ave a guarenteed loan option. But they do have a scheme with HSBC which differenciates between secured and unsecured loans(variable rates). The deputy-director admissions claimed that everyone got a loan though in some cases the amount of laon sanctioned was lesser than the amount that was requested.

-Amit

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to join this thread... I have also been admitted to Oxford for the year 2006..
My introduction. I am an Electronics engineer from REC Bhopal, have a work exp of 5 years and currently working in IBM..
Was supposed to give the deposit by Jan 20 but have requested for an extension in order to sort out the finances..

Guys, what do you think of Said as a b school in terms of career change and job prospects in UK after the graduation?

Cheers,
Deep

Heyyy guys can anyone lemme know the chances of gtg thru when applyg to oxford in the R3

i have applied in R2 to Said, Oxford. However, i have a few reservations about Said:

1. The Studfent Visa policy is to be chnaged in March 2006. The news is that it will get tougher to get a student visa.
2. With the HSBC-Said alliance becoming history now, it is even more difficult to get funds...

Hanu,
Dont worry about the VISA policy too much. The only major change they are thinking about is to remove the right to appeal a rejection. The real meaning of this change is that if they suspect anyone is a potential terrorist they can just reject the student without having to defend their decisions.

As for the financing yes its a major concern. I still dont know why their relationship broke up.

-Amit

hey guys those u have been admitted i have a few queries:

1. After how many days did the interview calls arrive
2. if i am in India, the interview will be telephonic...how many people are there in interview panel in a telephonic interview
3. some info on what is oxford looking for...some insights
4. some dont's if you could provide

i an from IT 4 yrs exp. 700 Gmat low extra curriculars

Hi Hanu

The interview call generally comes a couple of days prior to the deadline date mentioned on their web site.
Well the interview is telephonic, you will be interviewd by a single person.
Its less of an interview and more of a discussion..
Well what oxford is looking for .. dont know.. i have heard this.. that in the interview they look to compare your way of thinking to the way of thinking and analysis you have used in ur essays.. basically if u can prove that u have ur goals clear and why u want oxford.. they shud have no reservations...

their interview were pretty structured...
they ask about...
goals,
why mba
why now
why oxford
some issue in ur industry
some current issue.. (u can talk about anything)
some book u read recently
how wud others describe u ?
and anything interesting that they may find in ur CV

u can refer to a post by "nagsformba" .. he has listed out his questions,..and answers.

i think ur gmat and extra cirr.. is gone back stage.. once ur application is thru and u have an intervoew call..its all about ur maturity and confidence..

Cheers
D

Hey Deep_Mba

I have spoken to a lot of people at oxford and also past from oxford and also from other Bschools...
they all say just one thing.. NO BSCHOOL CAN ASSIST IN A CAREER CHANGE
i mean none of them are good for it... cos there will be always a pref to the guys who have prior exp in the relevant industry...

As far as Said goes... banking and consultancy are the hot domains... most employers are from this segmant.
Marketting and retailiing in UK is generally weak.. so if u looking at retail ..US is the place to be...
Banking and consulting are the highest paying and widely available jobs in the UK now..

Whats ur plan post MBA ?