Admitted to Cranfield with 50% scholarship

Hi, I am pleased to let u all know that I have been admitted to Cranfield University (Oct 2006 intake) with 50% scholarship towards tuition fees. My brief profile: GMAT: 700 Work-ex: 6 years (by the time MBA starts) in IT (softw…

Hi,

I am pleased to let u all know that I have been admitted to Cranfield University (Oct 2006 intake) with 50% scholarship towards tuition fees.

My brief profile:

GMAT: 700
Work-ex: 6 years (by the time MBA starts) in IT (software development)
Current Role: Team Lead
Working for: One of the top MNC IT brands
Others: ISB R1 reject :neutral:

Since Cranfield offers this award only to 20 of its 150-odd admits, I am quite elated and feel proud for having made it. 😃

I feel owed to this forum as I have been getting a lot of useful information out here that helped me do very well in my telephonic interview. Thanks everyone !!!

Regards,
Amit

Congrats amit 😃

Congrats Amit !! thats great news.

Can you give us how much it will be costing you now and other details of the scholarship ? Also, how you intend to finance yourself.

Arun

Hey congrats Amit,

Cranfield is listed in top schools.
What other schools have you apped for?
And why did you choose Cranfield outta those??
you didnt tell us what ur career goals are?? Career progress or Career shift??

best wishes
Shivanand

Congratulations dude.

Can you give us how much it will be costing you now and other details of the scholarship ? Also, how you intend to finance yourself.

Arun

Thanks Arun. The program cost is 26500 GBP. I have received a fee share scholarship of 13000 GBP. The living costs are estimated to be around 8000-9000 GBP. Laptop is provided by the institute for the year.

About my financing options, haven't really given it a serious thought as yet. Recently, I heard about the Paras foundation offering loans at 6.5% p.a. (might be 7.5 % now, because they track the Wall Street Prime Lending Rate). Might explore that.

What other schools have you apped for?
And why did you choose Cranfield outta those??
you didnt tell us what ur career goals are?? Career progress or Career shift??

Thanx Shivanand. I have not been apping aggressively. Infact, Cranfield was only the second school that I apped for... and the only international one. I couldn't make it to ISB, which would have been a convenient school to get into. No tension about placements, Indian food, room service et al. I had also lined up IIM-C & IIM-A (too difficult), and ISB again, but hopefully now I won't need to apply anywhere else. Indian schools are actually too difficult for people with my profile to get into.

I had a pretty stringent criteria for shortlisting the schools that I was applying to.

Criteria 1: CTM Criteria 2: One-year MBA (no additional months)
Criteria 3: A decent institute.
Criteria 4: Program content

The first criteria meant that I apply only to those international schools where I had real possibility of getting a scholarship. Cranfield actually is an under-rated institute for its quality of program. Apparently, because it is not in London, it loses out on local talent. Did think about Singapore schools, but wasn't really excited about their program.

Cranfield's focus on personal development actually illustrates their practical view of leadership. I believe that such a focus can make one an 'accepted' leader rather than an 'imposed' one. As an employee, I get impressed by managers who communicate well, present well, are emotionally strong, are good motivators, etc... basically all their soft-skills exuded in their day-to-day dealings and not their 'MBA degree' or insititute brand. This is the reason I applied to Cranfield. Hope that was not too philosophical.. 😃

I am looking for career progress and I aim to be the 'accepted' leader that I just talked about. I might even consider a sabbatical if it comes with the right deal.

Regards,
Amit

Hey Amit,

Congrats.

I criteria u have set to short list schools is good. Havent u thougt abt placements/ jobs post MBA?

How is it at Cranfield? Have u spoken to any alumni?

~Vomc

Hey Amit,

Havent u thougt abt placements/ jobs post MBA?

How is it at Cranfield? Have u spoken to any alumni?

~Vomc

I thought about placements, but I guess placements are tricky issue in most foreign univs. My expectations immediately post-MBA are pretty modest and realistic, so I don't see that as a huge problem. Thats one reason why I am also looking at trying for a sabbatical. I haven't spoken to any alumni, but have been reading their student diaries (blogs). I met a school representative at the World MBA Tour.

Hey Amit,

Cld u quantify "post-MBA are pretty modest and realistic"

Thanks
Vomc

Thanx Shivanand. I have not been apping aggressively. Infact, Cranfield was only the second school that I apped for... and the only international one. I couldn't make it to ISB, which would have been a convenient school to get into. No tension about placements, Indian food, room service et al. I had also lined up IIM-C & IIM-A (too difficult), and ISB again, but hopefully now I won't need to apply anywhere else. Indian schools are actually too difficult for people with my profile to get into.

I had a pretty stringent criteria for shortlisting the schools that I was applying to.

Criteria 1: CTM Criteria 2: One-year MBA (no additional months)
Criteria 3: A decent institute.
Criteria 4: Program content

The first criteria meant that I apply only to those international schools where I had real possibility of getting a scholarship. Cranfield actually is an under-rated institute for its quality of program. Apparently, because it is not in London, it loses out on local talent. Did think about Singapore schools, but wasn't really excited about their program.

Cranfield's focus on personal development actually illustrates their practical view of leadership. I believe that such a focus can make one an 'accepted' leader rather than an 'imposed' one. As an employee, I get impressed by managers who communicate well, present well, are emotionally strong, are good motivators, etc... basically all their soft-skills exuded in their day-to-day dealings and not their 'MBA degree' or insititute brand. This is the reason I applied to Cranfield. Hope that was not too philosophical.. 😃

I am looking for career progress and I aim to be the 'accepted' leader that I just talked about. I might even consider a sabbatical if it comes with the right deal.

Regards,
Amit

I have also applied to Cranfield two days. can you kindly highlight me your interview questions and preps. How long did they take to evaluate your application.

Thanks in advance

Rao
. Indian schools are actually too difficult for people with my profile to get into.

Criteria 1: CTM

Hey Amit,

Congratulation on your admit.

Just had a few questions.

Could you explain further what you mean by "Indian schools are actually too difficult for people with my profile to get into."

Also, what were the other schools you had picked?

........... I believe that such a focus can make one an 'accepted' leader rather than an 'imposed' one. As an employee, I get impressed by managers who communicate well, present well, are emotionally strong, are good motivators, etc... basically all their soft-skills exuded in their day-to-day dealings and not their 'MBA degree' or insititute brand. This is the reason I applied to Cranfield..........

.............I aim to be the 'accepted' leader that I just talked about.

Amit, don't get me wrong. I could sound too preachy and condescending. I assure you my intention is not that

Firstly, I am afraid true leadership is not something you can find in books. Secondly, strengthening your "soft-skills" is a pretty flimsy reason to invest 20 lakhs and I year of my life. Finally, remember that at the end of the day *nothing* in the world makes sense if you cannot get any tangible profits - so spike your post-MBA plans. Expect realistically but don't under-sell yourself.

The reason Im saying this is that you should set realistic expectations from the investement (of not just money - but also time, efforts etc).

Arun
Hey Amit,

Congratulation on your admit.

Just had a few questions.

Could you explain further what you mean by "Indian schools are actually too difficult for people with my profile to get into."

Also, what were the other schools you had picked?

Too many applications and v few available seats !!!
Amit, don't get me wrong. I could sound too preachy and condescending. I assure you my intention is not that

Firstly, I am afraid true leadership is not something you can find in books. Secondly, strengthening your "soft-skills" is a pretty flimsy reason to invest 20 lakhs and I year of my life. Finally, remember that at the end of the day *nothing* in the world makes sense if you cannot get any tangible profits - so spike your post-MBA plans. Expect realistically but don't under-sell yourself.

The reason Im saying this is that you should set realistic expectations from the investement (of not just money - but also time, efforts etc).

Arun

Hi Arun,

Thanks for your reply. I actually see that our perspectives are quite different. (And mine might be not too popular on this forum.. having read it for a few months). I am really looking at an MBA from a longer-term perspective, rather than the initial post-MBA spike that people get just after completing their course from a brand. Donot construe this as an under-selling exercise. I am actually quite ambitious, and aim to be the CEO of a tech company at least 5 years after my MBA. Even when I look at the ROI, I think of it in terms of whether my annual salary could become twice my MBA fees in 3 years' time. I hope u can see the kind of perspective that I have. I really don't like to make short-term goals, because it kind of mentally blocks you from accepting something better that comes your way, in a form, different than what you had earlier envisioned. I do have a default short-term goal of joining a tech company in the capacity of a manager (preferably with client-side interaction). But I am very open to newer opportunities as well, something that I would know only when I am ready for placement (thats 1.6 years from now).

And, about the reasons to do my MBA, soft-skills is just one of them. Being an MBA program, the Cranfield MBA too has modules on Strategy, Finance, etc., all the regular stuff. Yes, I personally feel and rank soft-skills quite high on my success-factors list.

Cranfield is actually a top-50 univ and there are brands like Accenture, AT Kearney et al recruiting regularly from here. (You would be knowing because I know you were once planning to app here). Hoping that the economy stays as it is or betters, I don't see too much of a pain getting a foot in the door of a campany at the end of my program.

Also, the ability to absorb learning and change yourself (basically adapt yourself to learning) is very individualistic. I personally feel that I am pretty good at it. So if someone 'teaches' me leadership, I might be one of the few in the class who actually change themselves to exude those qualities.

Regards,
Amit
Hi Amit,

Good to know you are clear about your views. As I said, my post was not to offend but more of a reality-check

Coming to Cranfield, you are right - I was damn interested but got kind of circumpsect by the focus on soft-skills and the lack of interesting courses. But what really did it in was the lack of loan support. So I will looking forward to hearing more from you about your Cranfield experiences.

All the best !!

Arun

Congrats Amit on your Admit.
I have PM'd you. Please respond at your earliest.

Appreciate your help.

Hi,

I am pleased to let u all know that I have been admitted to Cranfield University (Oct 2006 intake) with 50% scholarship towards tuition fees.

My brief profile:

GMAT: 700
Work-ex: 6 years (by the time MBA starts) in IT (software development)
Current Role: Team Lead
Working for: One of the top MNC IT brands
Others: ISB R1 reject :neutral:

Since Cranfield offers this award only to 20 of its 150-odd admits, I am quite elated and feel proud for having made it. 😃

I feel owed to this forum as I have been getting a lot of useful information out here that helped me do very well in my telephonic interview. Thanks everyone !!!

Regards,
Amit

Congratulations Amit...!Good Luck
Hi all!

Me too at Cranfield SoM... Got their email today... Hey Amit, you planning on joining?

Anyone with any idea how good/bad/ugly Cranfield is?