Admitted in Babson, Eller, Carlson. Any Suggestions?

Money or Brand ? Money or Brand? Money or Brand?

Money or Brand ?
Money or Brand?
Money or Brand?

It would be impossible to advise unless you tell us

What is the specialization u lookin at?
Funding constraints
Location preferences

cheers
V

Well...

Specialization : Entrepreneurship. But I do not want to start a company right away. I am looking at a short consulting career in US ( to pay my loan and gain experience and exposure) then return to India and look after family business or start my own thing...

Funding constraints : Everything on LOAN. So the faster I can pay off my loan .. the better..

Location : nothing in particular.. location would be according to the job prospects in consulting...

So what do u think now ?

@shilpi2801

I would say carlson, I myself have pretty much the same plan as yours, and I feel carlson is a better fit.

overall it has a better ranking that babson... since u wanted to go in consulting first..

Babson requires you to start the biz during your MBA (check again tho)

location wise Boston is def better, but minneapolis isnt bad either, chicago is just an hr away (flight), and job market in Minneapolis is good too. plus the city i feel is much much more beautiful than boston with lakes and all.

hope this helps
Anshul

thanks anshul,

but i am worried about the money! carlson without schol.. how in gods name will i pay bak the loan?!!!!

:nervous:

i hear you shilpi.. and the answer to your Q is not an easy one.... but hopefully by the time you graduate the job market would have improved... and that'll make it easier for you to repay the loan....

did you try looking for private scholarships...?

nope .. i spoke to carlson guys about schol though .. the answer is no

Well, as for your first question...money or brand?
My personal choice would be BRAND.Brand can help you earn money, not sure if money can buy you a brand. Shilpi, look at it this way- Imagine the pride, confidence, satisfaction you get by being associated with a brand. You can strut around with a chip on your shoulder. Again, you dont have to agree with me, its purely a personal chocie and feeling. I am from one of the top tech schools in India and believe me that confidence and pride statys with you forever.

About you choice of schools, babson is too good for entrepreneurship and is a very reputed firm. If you intend to be an entrepreneur, networking becomes a significant point and make sure you incorporate that in your decision making. I dont approve the idea of Eller. So anything btw, babson and carlson will do. I am more inclined towards carlson, because of the reputation of Twin cities and Univ of Minnesotta. At carslon, you can keep your options open about other areas of concentration viz, marketing, finance. I dont think thats the case at babson. On the other hand, none of the above skools are breeding grounds for consulting, so you will have to slog to get into consulting. But its possible.

Regarding finances, everyone who dreams of a US MBA will have this issue. Its a tough ask to clear 20-30 lacs, but you are achieving a coveted US degree. Guess, there is NEVER a free lunch

cheers
V

Well...

Specialization : Entrepreneurship. But I do not want to start a company right away. I am looking at a short consulting career in US ( to pay my loan and gain experience and exposure) then return to India and look after family business or start my own thing...

Funding constraints : Everything on LOAN. So the faster I can pay off my loan .. the better..

Location : nothing in particular.. location would be according to the job prospects in consulting...

So what do u think now ?

HI,

Even i am applying for fall 2011.
Can you let me know your profile.
I have a score of 660,AWA -5 and an experience of 3 years.
I have good extracurriculars.

What do you think are my chances of getting into carlson?

Please advice me on the same.

Thanks and Regards,
-Ritish.

me too applying to Carlson this year...

Hi there!

Did you apply to other schools as well ?

Well its a tough decision.... i would say go with babson. the location will give you access to top recruiters as well as compound the networking opportunities. if you are looking at coming back to india after a MBA then sticking to IIMs or ISB/SPJ is a much better option.

congratulations!