Admitted: George Washington and Tippie

Hi fellow puys, Admitted to: George Washington University global MBA program, University of Iowa Tippie School of Business and Thunderbird School of Global Management MBA program. Any suggestions as to what are the pros and cons…

Hi fellow puys,

Admitted to:
George Washington University global MBA program,
University of Iowa Tippie School of Business and
Thunderbird School of Global Management MBA program. Any suggestions as to what are the pros and cons of the three schools would be really helpful. Thank you!!

Profile:
Indian doctor
3 years work exp (1 year internship in India, 6 months in health insurance abroad, 18 months research work in a hospital abroad.
Interested in entering the pharmaceutical/healthcare companies in the US after MBA, such as Pfizer, Baxter and Johnson and Johnson.

Not sure why you chose those progs. But if healthcare is where you wana be...look at Boston Uni /Yale and Dukes. They have stellar healthcare progs. Boston Uni is also known to give generous schols.

Iowa and GWU are more known for finance. Not sure about thunderbird but i think its more tilted to GM.

Cheers!

Thanks snipertrader,

My gmat score was low compared to other applicants from india. So it didnt make sense going for yale or duke. tried boston but didnt make it. At the moment, it seems i'll be going for GWU, mainly coz of the location. I've heard placements are hard to come by at iowa. GWU is also aggressively trying to increase its healthcare sector and has J&J; and pfizer as some of their major recruiters. Any suggestions from your side?

I truly believe GMAT is not everything....maybe you did not put in a convincing app. Furthermore, for docs, its always that much more difficult to come up with a good story/thought process/logic behind the MBA move.

Cheers!

Thanks snipertrader,

My gmat score was low compared to other applicants from india. So it didnt make sense going for yale or duke. tried boston but didnt make it. At the moment, it seems i'll be going for GWU, mainly coz of the location. I've heard placements are hard to come by at iowa. GWU is also aggressively trying to increase its healthcare sector and has J&J; and pfizer as some of their major recruiters. Any suggestions from your side?

precisely.. it wasn't easy convincing the universities why i wanted to do an mba after mbbs. no wonder my interviews lasted an hour and a half each. needed to link up all the work that i've done in the 2 years post mbbs to convince them how i've worked towards my present need of an mba. have got admits from 3 out of 4 universities i applied for, so going for GW. all the universities said that there are very few, if any, docs from india applying to US business schools, so that was a plus for me. more than 90% of indian applicants are engineers and ITs (no surprises there) and it becomes very difficult for them to differentiate one engineer/IT guy from the other. that's why, when i asked them at the end of my interviews what is it that they are looking for in an applicant, all 3 of them said "the work experience" BEFORE other factors such as (in the order told to me) essays, gmat, team-working skills, extra-curriculars, community service, gpa. (GPA was last!!)

Hey Doctor!

I'd strongly recommend Carlson school of business. It is stationed in a very hot location i.e. Minneapolis. The city is the home to numerous healthcare companies. They even have a very special MILI center (Medical Industry Leadership Institute) dedicated to the healthcare industry.

Its good to target the likes of J&J; & Pfizer but then numerous students passing out from the Ivy league are also targeting these companies. Not every one will be successful. Therefore, its a good idea to be at the center of the industry & keep all your options open. You can find information about this program at: Medical Industry Leadership Institute

Companies recruiting Carlson Healthcare students are:
Accenture
Allina Health System
Bayer
Bear Sterns
BlueCross Blue Shield
Boston Scientific
Bristol-Myers Squibb
Deloitte
DuPont Pharmaceutical
Guidant
Johnson & Johnson
Mayo Clinic
Medtronic
St. Jude
UnitedHealth Group

Apart from this another area famous for Healthcare industry in US is RTP (Research Triangle Park), The Research Triangle Park
It is strategically located in North Carolina spread over Durham (Home to Duke), Chapel Hill (Home to Kenan Flagler) & Raleigh. Both are difficult to get through. You can even research Wake Forest University i.e. in North Carolina & close to RTP.

But overall I'd strongly recommend Carlson.