Admission to Ceibs Shanghai : Queries welcome !!

hi group i’m raghu, mech engg fm nit with 7 yrs exp primarily in telecom business development. gmat 670. have received admission offer from Ceibs shanghai, Iese and melbourne. taken up ceibs offer and will join in august. 4 reasons why ceibs …

hi group

i'm raghu, mech engg fm nit with 7 yrs exp primarily in telecom business development. gmat 670. have received admission offer from Ceibs shanghai, Iese and melbourne. taken up ceibs offer and will join in august. 4 reasons why ceibs is very appealing :

1. china and particulary shanghai is a part of my longterm plan and anybody with knowledge abt business of india and china will have lot of role to play in near future, so i believe

2. facilities are quite impressive and research oriented, even placements are quite good (though international students need to work harder at that)

3. its one of the most modern bschools and even school rankings are quite favorable. one ranking list ranks it as the best in asia and among top 25 in the world

4. value for money, tuition fees @27500 usd is a deal with affordable living costs for such a high ranking program

if any of you wants admission gyaan in any of the schools, pls feel free to ask

cheers/raghu

hi group

i'm raghu, mech engg fm nit with 7 yrs exp primarily in telecom business development. gmat 670. have received admission offer from Ceibs shanghai, Iese and melbourne. taken up ceibs offer and will join in august. 4 reasons why ceibs is very appealing :

1. china and particulary shanghai is a part of my longterm plan and anybody with knowledge abt business of india and china will have lot of role to play in near future, so i believe

cheers/raghu

Kudos to Raghu,

Thankx for taking this intiative. Pls post the GYaan which you have about CEBIS...
like placements,class profile, % Indians,job secene, international placements, faculty, fees etc.... I think this will keep you busy for sometime....

There is another set of queries heading your way as soon you are through with these Q's...

Thankx in Advance

Azeem
ceibs is a very different school fm others, to that extent you need clearcut focus on your priorities in life. i believe that someone with my background and with good exposure to china and india both can benefit a lot in the near future armed with ceibs mba.

the school is treated in china like iims in india, but there is only one of its kind in china as agsnt 6 iims in india and intake is also 220 students, with 20% international students. most of them fm europe as ceibs is born out of jv with european commission. there is an indian also in 2007 batch, siddhartha sarkar, 6 yrs exp in wipro gmat 700+, so i was told. he is now off to paris to join his summer internship scholarship at Lvmh.

sid tells me faculty is international standards, all phds in top schools in us/europe. and also research oriented

ceibs values experience a lot, avg exp is 6 yrs, i think avg gmat is also close to 690 or so.

job scene is quite good, but as an international students, your ability to manage mandarin will play a key role in cracking the job market, the school will brings lots of interview opportunities. last yr 730 positions were offered for 200 graduates and avg salary is as per western standards. see my target is finding a good indian/mnc companies doing business in china or chinese/east asian companies planning to enter india and negotiate for country manager/business development roles. and most of the familiar global names like mckinsey, bain, ibm, lvmh, atkearney, nokia, ericsson recruit there. for more info, look at ceibs.edu

tuition fees 27500 usd for 2008 batch, living costs may be 7-8000 usd approx, its value for money for a top 25 school anyway. but my friend everything depends on priorities in your life

hope i've addressed most of your queries. all the best. any further q's, shoot

cheers

Hi Raghu,
Ni hao..
Well,Congrats for a very judicious and well-dissected decision in joining CEIBS.I am from IT-BHU (Ceramic Engg'2002) and have been working in China (North East) since 2003 in R&D; for Refractories for Ferrous Industries - A wholly owned foreign enterprise headquartered in Singapore and a partner co to Mittal Arcelor Steel.
I have also aplied to CEIBS Albeit a bit late and am expecting the results on the 12th. I was interviewed last Friday for about an hour and part of it was in Mandarin (probably wanted to check out on my language abilities)..Am keeping my fingers crossed for the moment but would be glad to share my interview particulars just in case someone is interested.
I am currently in India and can be reached at +91-9450936055.
Cheers
Vishal

hi vishal

welcome to the group !!
its a very wise decision on your part to choose ceibs. perhaps many of the people get carried away by china's quesitionable reputation while choosing not to apply for ceibs. i've many a friends in shanghai who is awed by the reputation that school enjoys in china. perhaps vishal, you can share that with the group, since you have worked in china....

now the latest news is IBM China has joined the Ceibs advisory board and will support in Ceibs development fund and Case study development and a lot more....

I have attached the clip !!: Happy reading !!:

IBM China Partners with CEIBS to Introduce Innovative Services Management Development Program Three-year Sponsorship Partnership to Extend Across Teaching, Research And Case Development 2006-06-26 14:37:31 Print-friendly Page
Shanghai, June 26, 2006, IBM China and the China Europe International School (CEIBS), Asia's leading business school, today signed a three year sponsorship agreement that will involve the introduction of Services Management Development Programmes into the CEIBS MBA and EMBA curriculum and development of Chinese business case examples.

The sponsorship comes after many years of cooperation on a variety of education initiatives including the design and delivery of the IBM Asia Pacific Client Executive Development Program.
IBM's sponsorship of the CEIBS Development Fund will assist to develop the knowledge assets and the business and IT skills necessary to create China's innovation-led future. The Services Management Development Programme will be based on the Services Science discipline, a growing area of education already adopted by some of world's leading educational institutions. CEIBS is the first educational institution in China to introduce Services Science based subjects into its curriculum. As part of the sponsor partnership IBM will also develop China case studies with CEIBS Case Development Centre on issues such as "transformation roadmap from business strategy to IT implementation".
"China is undergoing a fundamental transformation as it moves from a labor intensive manufacturing economy to a knowledge based service economy," said IBM Global Business Services Managing Partner, Greater China Group, Nigel Knight.
"It is clear that by combining leading business practices with strong technology skills is a critical success factor for this transformation - both at the enterprise and National level - as illustrated by IBM's own transformation over the last decade or so. By working closely with CEIBS, we have the opportunity to combine the best of real life practice with university education to prepare China's top talent for this exciting period of transformation and growth."
IBM China will now become a member of the CEIBS Corporate Advisory Board to assist in guiding the development and strategy of the school. CEIBS will also provide IBM China's with priority access to the CEIBS MBA students for group consulting projects and internships and access to the school's MBA graduates for recruitment. Under the new partnership, IBM China will be invited to share their expertise as guest lecturers on some of CEIBS executive management development programs as well as participate at CEIBS Executive Forums and industry conferences on campus.
Professor Rolf D. Cremer, Dean and Vice President of CEIBS welcomed the new partnership; "It is an honor for CEIBS to welcome IBM, one of the world's greatest names in business and innovation, to join forces with the CEIBS Corporate Sponsor Partner network today. This partnership comes after many years of cooperation with IBM China; In 1995 IBM China was one of the first companies to recruit from the very first CEIBS graduating class. Throughout the years since then, over 100 of IBM China's executives and clients have attended CEIBS executive education management programs and the CEIBS EMBA program. We look forward to building on this solid foundation and to a greater cooperation and sharing of expertise between our two organizations. Through their sponsorship of the CEIBS Development Fund, IBM demonstrates a long term commitment to the further development of not only their own employees in China and to the Asia Pacific region, but also to the field of management education in this country. We thank IBM for their significant commitment."
IBM's involvement in China dates back to 1934, and IBM opened its China office in 1992. Today, IBM China has 18 branch offices, two fully-owned subsidiaries and eight joint ventures. One of IBM's eight research centers is located in China, where more than 300 technical and research talents are developing the latest technology solutions such as pervasive computing and wireless solutions, and IBM's customer services center is the largest of its kind in China.
With thousands of technical researchers and business consultants around the world dedicated to services, IBM is in a good position to partner with universities to develop Services Sciences, providing opportunity to test and develop Services Science theories and practices. Through collaboration with university researchers and educators IBM is helping to drive new programs and courses and is building a new community around Services Science globally.
CEIBS is the leading business school in Asia-Pacific. The school's MBA program is ranked # 21 globally by the London Financial Times (Jan. 2006). CEIBS is the only business school in Asia with all of its MBA, EMBA and Executive Education in the global top 50 and the only mainland Chinese business school to have EQUIS accreditation.

Congrats Raghu for Ceibs Admit !

I am also commencing my MBA this Aug at NUS . As you mentioned ,like many of us I too dont have much insight into Ceibs . So it would be great if you can answer my queries :

1) U thinking of continuing in your telecom secotor post MBA in China ?
2) U mentioned that managing mandarin would help in getting a good offer for international students . What extent u think one should master mandarin - 100% fluency , 80% accuracy in speaking or ability to understand ? some gyan on this ...
3) Any visa restirctions for Indian /international students in China/Shangai /

Thanks ...
BTDTE
Visit my blog http://www.beentheredonethateverywhere.blogspot.com

hi group

2. facilities are quite impressive and research oriented, even placements are quite good (though international students need to work harder at that)

3. its one of the most modern bschools and even school rankings are quite favorable. one ranking list ranks it as the best in asia and among top 25 in the world

4. value for money, tuition fees @27500 usd is a deal with affordable living costs for such a high ranking program

if any of you wants admission gyaan in any of the schools, pls feel free to ask

cheers/raghu

In my application essay, I talked about how I intend to revolutionize the telecom scene in asia, world et al, how I'd contribute to the rural telecom rejuvenation blah blah......but in reality I'm keeping my options post mba wide open. I'm not unduly worried about what sector to choose and believe one aspect of mba education is to show us through the appropriate career path. but would love to stay close to telecom.....:) 😃

by mandarin, i meant business mandarin :satisfie: for instance, to work in mckinsey/any consultancy in china, you should be able to reasonably interact with their clients in china in their language to develop intimacy and relationship, neednt learn grammer/syntax/ and for that matter need not even learn to read/write except essential letters (it takes decades to learn chinese symbols even for the chinese ), but you better learn to speak well, which i believe is possible with some diligent practice. the school provides free coaching for that purpose

well, for student visa, i dont foresee a problem. for work visa, i havent heard any problems occurring atleast in the high skilled segment(read mba). see, china is a booming economy and they require lot of mgmt talent to run their industries. the biggest opportunity is in consultancy and financial services, infact the entire banking system is antique compared to india and there is nothing much to talk about the stock market at all. but all of these are changing, with the new reforms planned in banking space, jobs will be aplenty for the 'right' people. i heard bank of china has managed one of the bumper listings recently in shanghai stock exchange after debuting in hongkong stock exchange. i'm not trying to paint an overoptimistic picture, but if you're really committed to working in this region and believe in the region's longterm future, i dont think you'll ever be disappointed. but you've to really work towards the goal....

In my application essay, I talked about how I intend to revolutionize the telecom scene in asia, world et al, how I'd contribute to the rural telecom rejuvenation blah blah......but in reality I'm keeping my options post mba wide open. I'm not unduly worried about what sector to choose and believe one aspect of mba education is to show us through the appropriate career path. but would love to stay close to telecom.....:) 😃

by mandarin, i meant business mandarin :satisfie: for instance, to work in mckinsey/any consultancy in china, you should be able to reasonably interact with their clients in china in their language to develop intimacy and relationship, neednt learn grammer/syntax/ and for that matter need not even learn to read/write except essential letters (it takes decades to learn chinese symbols even for the chinese ), but you better learn to speak well, which i believe is possible with some diligent practice. the school provides free coaching for that purpose

well, for student visa, i dont foresee a problem. for work visa, i havent heard any problems occurring atleast in the high skilled segment(read mba). see, china is a booming economy and they require lot of mgmt talent to run their industries. the biggest opportunity is in consultancy and financial services, infact the entire banking system is antique compared to india and there is nothing much to talk about the stock market at all. but all of these are changing, with the new reforms planned in banking space, jobs will be aplenty for the 'right' people. i heard bank of china has managed one of the bumper listings recently in shanghai stock exchange after debuting in hongkong stock exchange. i'm not trying to paint an overoptimistic picture, but if you're really committed to working in this region and believe in the region's longterm future, i dont think you'll ever be disappointed. but you've to really work towards the goal....

I was told that essays are 60% bullshitting and 40% facts..

Ihad some offline message to you Quality78, greatly appreciate ifyou can respond
Bye

masaladosa

i'll take your comments with a pinch of salt. first of all, writing those damn essays allowed me or rather forced me to introspect into what i was doing all these years and whats next course of action. you can choose to inflate facts in the essays but any smart interviewer can lay you bare. having said that, nobody expects an mba applicant to plot your careergraph after 8.3 yrs post mba, but atleast they want to know whether you have thought enough in that direction. as long you are able to convince the adcom in the essays and interview that you are not fooling around, you are welcome into the school !! so, my suggestion is to paint a portrait as close to yourself in the essays and you still can make a good compelling story to sell them !!

cheers

p.s i've replied to your pm

reading through the above posts, i m also inetersted in applying for this institute. will be giving gmat soon but i was considering US schools mainly.
Problm is i dont have any experience in China and also i m also low on number of years of work experience.

Thanks for the info Raghu ....
Keep us updated about ur life in Ceibs ....

BTDTE
Visit my blog http://www.beentheredonethateverywhere.blogspot.com

sure btdte, you rock too !!

ankush

glad that you are thinking of ceibs....its a very westernized school, jv of chinese govt and european union, will have lots of influence in the coming years....

every one should have their choices, and i believe US is not the only choice, though popular one by virtue of track record, robust economy and open society and also just make sense.

the education and exposure you get in ceibs is not like any other, you're in a class of 200 people, totally strangers, different countries/cultures, you cant remember their names (some zsu/zhang, tukuki etc), language issues, food challenge(dont know what you're eating, and you dont know what to ask) and in the middle of everything you are struck with one of the most studious and hardworking students in earth.

so you have to learn the language, understand the culture, party with them, practice guanxi (relationship management culture in china), understand business practices in china and asia pacific and also supposed to be maintaining the grades.

for me (and 44 other foreigners enrolling ceibs this year), this is the biggest challenge : The Unknown !! if i manage to adapt to this ambience and survive for the next 18 months, i'll have managed to find some employer to provide roti, kapda, makkaan and $$....

yep, workex may be a concern in some schools, why dont you share your profile, will provide informed gyaan

Hi,

I am posting my profile and request you to please Vet my profile and let me know what are my chances of making it to CEBIS. (FYI I am looking for MBA in Finance with core emphasis on investment banking ( M& A), which I want to pursue as a career. Please also advise me on what are my chances of getting Job & PR because this is one of my most important parameters for an foreign MBA).

Here is my Profile :-

Acad's & Professional Qualifications

XIIth :- 70.4%
Graduation :- Bachelor of Commerce - 68.6%
Post Graduation (professional) :- Company Sectryship (ACS)
Diploma :- Computer Application (A+)
Certifications :- National Stock Eexchange of India Ltd's Certification in Financial Markets (NCFM)- 4 certificatification (Completed)

-Capital Markets (Dealers) -93%
-AMFI (Mutual Funds) - 74.25%
-Depositories - 73%
-Securities market - 76%

Futher I am planning to complete another 3 certification from NCFM in
-Derivatives Market
-Debt Market
-Commodities Market

Presently Pursunig Level 1 of CFA

Work Experince

Presently Working as Manager (Merchant Banking & Issue Management) with a start up Company since 25/02/2005. Area of work include: -

-Managing New Capital Issues
-Merchant Banking
-Opening New Branches, Selecting & training sales teams
-Managing new Debt Issues & Private Placement of Capital
-Advising clients on Equity Portfolio
-Advt & sales of Third party products like MFs & Insurance
-Handling a team of Sub brokers & selling agents & monitoring their Performance
=>Worked as Personal Banker with HDFC BANK LIMITED (Secuderabad Branch- Joined on 01-06-2004 till 18-02-2005). The Job has given me complete exposure to Retail Banking which includes :-
- Acting as Financial Planner & Investment Advisor for High Net worth Clients
- Opening and monitoring Demand and Time Deposits (including NRI Accounts).
- Selling Banks&third; party Products such as Mutual Funds & Insurance
- Handling routine operational Issues of the Retail Banking.
- Responsible for generation, reporting and reconciliation of various reports on the Performance & Revenue generation of all the employees in the Branch.
- Device marketing strategy along with the team at Branch level which includes conducting consumer Meets to Advertise the Banks Products & to increase its presence
- Conversant with the operation relating to Depository Services.
Worked as a Company Secretary with M/s P.S.Rao & Associates, a leading firm of Company Secretaries in Hyderabad for 3 years and 5 months. (27 months Pre-qualification) The areas of work in this Job included:-
-Knowledge and experience in the area of Corporate laws, more Specifically Companies Act, FEMA, Intellectual Property rights, SEBI & RBI compliances.
-Also well versed with the aspects of Financial Accounting, Financial & Secretarial Audit & liaisoning with various government Departments like RBI, ROC, and DGFT etc.
Academic Achievements:
-Awarded the Best Project & Presentation Award on the subject of Mutual Funds - Concept and issues involved by Hyderabad Chapter of ICSI during SMTP ( National Level Event)
-Obtained 2nd highest marks in Banking Theory & Practice in Graduation. ( In More than 50000 students)
-Won Medals in Public Speaking in National Police Academy.
Sports Achievement
- Represented South Zone in Badminton in School. (i.e. represented whole of South India at National Level)
-Won 1st three positions in
-Shooting
-Swimming
-Riding
-Tennis
-Squash
-Table Tennis
Community Service
Involved with the Activities of Social Service Club for welfare of Children for the past 4 years. I work as a placement Consultant & Coordinator of Educational programs.

GMAT :- ) Will be taking GMAT on 11th September (Confident of 700+)

PL:- when can I meet you (I live in hyd).

Thankx
Azeem
... Double post... sorry

hi azeem

you have a very good profile. project yourself as a financial expert and make "whats your future plan" essay revolve around that !! china and ceibs desparately needs financial planners who can help shape and usher financial reforms in the country, and i can tell you that a large number of foreigners in our batch has top financial sector or consultancy experience.

since you've lot of time, why dont you also get CFP ? tis value is high internationally

work on your gmat, ceibs avg gmat is close to 700.

cheers

Hi All,
I am glad to inform you that I have been offered a place at the CEIBS as well9they informed me 1 day in advance)..
Will post more in details..Have to choose between Cranfield, City, York, CEIBS and NUS (PhD)..CEIBS is my no.1 preference..
Rest soon..
Cheers
Vishal

My two Qs -
1) It appears to me that Studying in china requires some knowledge of the local language ..... I remember vishal mentioning part his interview was in Mandarin.... What do you suggest to people who dont know Chinese
2) How about Finance?

Hi Ahmad,
Pls find my 2 cents enclosed below.
Rgds,
Vishal

Hi,

I am posting my profile and request you to please Vet my profile and let me know what are my chances of making it to CEBIS. (FYI I am looking for MBA in Finance with core emphasis on investment banking ( M& A), which I want to pursue as a career. Please also advise me on what are my chances of getting Job & PR because this is one of my most important parameters for an foreign MBA
Your landing a job in China will depend solely on 2 factors (a)The extent to which you pick up Mandarin and (b) "Guanxi"-Networking in Mandarin.Remember that you will be competing with the best amongst China's HUGE pool of aplicants. I understand that while we may possess an edge over them when English language capabilities are concerned but unless we get a hold on the language, its a VERY dicey situation for an international student. Neverthless, international students DO get jobs but again, the quality of your placement (so to say) will depend primarily on you- just like any other B School except that you will have to prove yourself again n again since the competition to land a plush job in China is going to be severely intense.
China has yet not started the PR thing, which happens to be one of your goals.Although there have been talks about granting Pink Cards to foreigners who have been working in China for more than 5-7 yrs , nothing has materialised yet.
I would strongly recommend that you dissect all issues thoroughly and then apply..DO EXTENSIVE RESEARCH ON THE KIND OF JOB POSITIONS AVAILABLE TO FOREIGNERS IN YOUR INDICATED DOMAINS OF FINANCE IN CHINA. It would be worth it...

Here is my Profile :-

Acad's & Professional Qualifications Impressive man!!!!!!!!

XIIth :- 70.4%
Graduation :- Bachelor of Commerce - 68.6%
Post Graduation (professional) :- Company Sectryship (ACS)
Diploma :- Computer Application (A+)
Certifications :- National Stock Eexchange of India Ltd's Certification in Financial Markets (NCFM)- 4 certificatification (Completed)

-Capital Markets (Dealers) -93%
-AMFI (Mutual Funds) - 74.25%
-Depositories - 73%
-Securities market - 76%

Futher I am planning to complete another 3 certification from NCFM in
-Derivatives Market
-Debt Market
-Commodities Market

Presently Pursunig Level 1 of CFA

Work Experince

Presently Working as Manager (Merchant Banking & Issue Management) with a start up Company since 25/02/2005. Area of work include: -

-Managing New Capital Issues
-Merchant Banking
-Opening New Branches, Selecting & training sales teams
-Managing new Debt Issues & Private Placement of Capital
-Advising clients on Equity Portfolio
-Advt & sales of Third party products like MFs & Insurance
-Handling a team of Sub brokers & selling agents & monitoring their Performance
=>Worked as Personal Banker with HDFC BANK LIMITED (Secuderabad Branch- Joined on 01-06-2004 till 18-02-2005). The Job has given me complete exposure to Retail Banking which includes :-
- Acting as Financial Planner & Investment Advisor for High Net worth Clients
- Opening and monitoring Demand and Time Deposits (including NRI Accounts).
- Selling Banks&third; party Products such as Mutual Funds & Insurance
- Handling routine operational Issues of the Retail Banking.
- Responsible for generation, reporting and reconciliation of various reports on the Performance & Revenue generation of all the employees in the Branch.
- Device marketing strategy along with the team at Branch level which includes conducting consumer Meets to Advertise the Banks Products & to increase its presence
- Conversant with the operation relating to Depository Services.
Worked as a Company Secretary with M/s P.S.Rao & Associates, a leading firm of Company Secretaries in Hyderabad for 3 years and 5 months. (27 months Pre-qualification) The areas of work in this Job included:-
-Knowledge and experience in the area of Corporate laws, more Specifically Companies Act, FEMA, Intellectual Property rights, SEBI & RBI compliances.
-Also well versed with the aspects of Financial Accounting, Financial & Secretarial Audit & liaisoning with various government Departments like RBI, ROC, and DGFT etc.
Academic Achievements:
-Awarded the Best Project & Presentation Award on the subject of Mutual Funds - Concept and issues involved by Hyderabad Chapter of ICSI during SMTP ( National Level Event)
-Obtained 2nd highest marks in Banking Theory & Practice in Graduation. ( In More than 50000 students)
-Won Medals in Public Speaking in National Police Academy.
Sports Achievement
- Represented South Zone in Badminton in School. (i.e. represented whole of South India at National Level)
-Won 1st three positions in
-Shooting
-Swimming
-Riding
-Tennis
-Squash
-Table Tennis
Community Service
Involved with the Activities of Social Service Club for welfare of Children for the past 4 years. I work as a placement Consultant & Coordinator of Educational programs.

GMAT :- ) Will be taking GMAT on 11th September (Confident of 700+)

PL:- when can I meet you (I live in hyd).

Thankx
Azeem

Congrats Raghu and Vishal,
hope you keep the group informed about the activities at school and your first perceptions about it.

santosh