Admission Thread for School of Management Studies, NIT Calicut

Hi Puys,Welcome to the official SOMS NIT Calicut, Admissions 2013-15 thread.I am Sharath from 2012-14 batch. I request all MBA-aspirants to use this thread to put in their queries regarding admissions in SOMS, NITC for the year 2013-15-----…

Hi Puys,
Welcome to the official SOMS NIT Calicut, Admissions 2013-15 thread.
I am Sharath from 2012-14 batch. I request all MBA-aspirants to use this thread to put in their queries regarding admissions in SOMS, NITC for the year 2013-15
------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Please read the entire thread before posting new questions.
* Please refrain from making comparisons and inappropriate comments in this thread.Let this thread be used only for admission related queries and discussions.
* Please feel free to PM us as well for any concerns not relevant to the thread's general discussion content.
About SOMS

The objective of NITC-SOMS is to develop professionals for the analytical and managerial skills required for a professional manager and to enrich them with adequate background of humanities and universal values that would create an awareness of the social responsibility, necessary to enable him/her to play an effective role as manager for the benefit of the society.
Back
Contact Information
Contact No:0495-2286077/76/75
Mailing Address : School of Management Studies(SOMS),
National Institute of Technology Calicut,
NIT Campus P.O., Calicut €“ 673 601
Kerala, India.

Hi, can u please tell when r the forma going to be available and also about last years placements

Hi laavanya8889,
The admission process starts soon after the CAT results are published.The form will be available in the SOMS-NITC website.
2010-12 batch had nearly 80% placements with 8 of them getting recruited in Coal India with a package of over 8lakhs per annum.
The placements for 2011-2013 batch will start from Jan'13 only.

Regards,
SVS

Hi puys,

I am glad to inform you all that one of our seniors got Pre-Placement offer in V gaurd,Kochi.

Regards,
SVS

@SharathVS said:
Hi Puys,
Welcome to the official SOMS NIT Calicut, Admissions 2013-15 thread.
I am Sharath from 2012-14 batch. I request all MBA-aspirants to use this thread to put in their queries regarding admissions in SOMS, NITC for the year 2013-15
------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Please read the entire thread before posting new questions.
* Please refrain from making comparisons and inappropriate comments in this thread.Let this thread be used only for admission related queries and discussions.
* Please feel free to PM us as well for any concerns not relevant to the thread's general discussion content.
Great to see the effort put by the current batch. Let me introduce myself. I'm Remil Rashid, Batch of 2009-11. I remember taking the effort myself, starting the thread for 2010-12 batch about three years back. Extremely happy to see the following batches continuing the tradition. Great job mate!
@SharathVS Also It'll be great if you can add 2013-15 to the name of this thread. This is here to stay for a long time, isn't it?

does the construction of proposed mba complex and hostel started yet?

@SharathVS

dude .

1. what is the cut off for OBC? sectional cut off considered?

2. total fees for two years (including everything)?

3. total number of students with work exp.

Plz shed some light on the cut off's...of all categories preferably... :)

@SharathVS dude reply please.
Hey folks! My name is Christy and Im a 1st year student @ SoMS NIT Calicut. Me n a few of my batchmates will take up this thread henceforth.

Regarding the basic admission process, until last year only students with an Engg background were considered. However, starting this year onwards, students with a degree of minimum 4 years duration or with a post graduate degree are being considered. Batch strength would be 60 henceforth. The fee structure also has been modified and has been reduced from 3.15L to around 2L next year onwards. This is the tentative plan and we will confirm this once possible.

Regarding the cut-offs, SoMS NITC generally consists of students with 70 - 85%ile. Normally ppl who apply here do get calls based on profiles despite their %iles. Conversion majorly depends on your performance in the GD & PI. Only around 50% weightage is given to the CAT score and the rest is distributed among past academic records, Work ex and GD+PI performances. If you do well enuf in this regard, u will get admission. However, a CAT %ile of around 75%ile is considered safe for admission. Reservation is for SC/ST/OBC categories and the cut off for this I will inform soon.

SoMS has a good blend of freshers and EPs. EPs vary in their experience from 6 months to 5 years. About 50% of the batch are basically freshers though. However, work ex is a major advantage in your admission criteria.

Please do not hesitate to post your queries here. We will get back 2 you @ the possible earliest. Furthermore, we will soon start a community for aspirants to join and post their comments and updates.

Cheers!!

Please note that all the above info regarding the admission criteria in the 2nd para is totally tentative and will be confirmed only in a few Board meetings towards the end of January.

Do shoot any further queries, we will do our best to answer 'em. Peace!

good. continuing from one of the mentioned posts.

do they allow everyone to attend interview? i mean any constraints like ( no CSE ,ECE students),age limit ?

@NITCSOMS first of all..happy new year to all of u puys....and thanks to seniors who is guiding us..............bro i m persuing my mca from distance education ...am i eligible or not....what is the educational qualification criteria to get in there.........
@ganeshkumar2012
Hello Ganesh,
There won't be any constraints like that. There won't be any preference for any engineering branch either. But I have absolutely no idea what all will be the criteria if the new changes as sited by @NITCSOMS are made.

some "typo" . in the context of PSU(coal india) recruitment. i asked that question.

@remil4remil any reservation for students from kerala? like 50% for kerala students, remaining for non-kerala students?
@ganeshkumar2012 said:
some "typo" . in the context of PSU(coal india) recruitment. i asked that question.
In case of PSU recruitment, the institute will be forced to comply with the terms and conditions put forward by the respective organizations.