Adani Institute of Infrastructure Management 2010-11

Hello :: I am starting this thread for all those who are interested in Adani Institute of Infrastructure Management for 2010-11 batch. Its a one yr course. I think the current students can chip in with there constructive suggestions. I have …

Hello
I am starting this thread for all those who are interested in Adani Institute of Infrastructure Management for 2010-11 batch. Its a one yr course. I think the current students can chip in with there constructive suggestions.
I have applied in 1st cycle and my interview is in Delhi on 11 April 2010 (Sunday).

My Profile
Avg acads
B.Tech
4.5 yrs exp in telecom

anybody out there who have applied for the same???

hii all, i have applied here, and has got an interview call from them on 12th april in delhi.

Hi Amit,
Do you see such customised MBA workable? Till now no placement reports (1st batch still to pass) and even websites like pagalguy etc are not at all giving any opinion about such institutes.

Is this course recognized? Which all the companies apart from Adani will recruit from here?

Basically what value add will passouts from this institute will do to companies? Does company need those value adds? Normally Infra companies look for TECHNICAL-EXPERIENCED-DOMAIN PEOPLE, as is generally seen even in campus placements. Secondly are the Infra companies are good pay masters? ofcourse you can not expect fresher or people from core IT to think of this institute. But yes may be people who has +2 yrs of exp in some infra company with lower package will try for this thinking they may get some way good package.

Another point is, since this course is the new one, only those students who did not make through other institutes will only try, hopefully the avg ones but in no way the best ones. So the exposure/interaction may be questionable. It would have been ideal if only +5yrs exp people in Infra (directly or indirectly) would have been considered. Than yes variety, knowledge and matured interaction would have been certainly there.

The only good point i see is Dr Dholakia is the person who is driving the institute. So may be in future if this institute COLLABORATE with other foreign institutes, something what ISB did, than ofcourse it may turn out to be a good one. But at the same time as most of the faculties are from IIM, going for such move looks dark. Also, ISB Mohali which is scheduled to commence in 2012 will have specialization in Infra as one their course. But it will have brand name attached to it.

These are just my opinion, may change after 1st placements. Basically it all depends on how industry welcomes this move.

All the best

Hi mauja and amit

Well, I found mauja's post quite interesting. However, don't you think it would be nice to get a current student's perspective??
1. Customizable MBA: First question..Why does anyone want to get an MBA? Or what does an MBA offer other than the so called fat packages?
People who join such niche programmes are sure that they want to go into the infra sector. Management education is all about imparting experience via classroom education. So if one is focussing on infra sector, shouldn't he be made aware of all the nuances? Check out the curriculum and see for yourself
2. ISB and IIM A PGPX , other popular courses are not recognized as well. So, would you not join them in case you get selected? If you have been following economic times, the institute got a mention from the chairman of feedback ventures
3. The jobs at INFRA companies. Well, if you look at the jobs at infra companies, they are diverse. They range in all functions. So, strategy and finance, operations are integral parts of an INFRA company
4. Age: Well, average age level is 6 years. However, even if I take your argument, what is the basis when you say that a candidate of 4 years is not experienced enough?
5. I do not get the argument why IIM A affiliation would act as a barrier? I mean it is a huge asset. We are taught by a faculty most students would dream to study from. Again, no such basis of such an argument
6. The objectivee of this institute is to get all students placed well. Hence, if you talk about placements, then the institute is putting efforts to bring in a diverse set of companies: consulting, finance, General Management.

Well, I think my arguments should suffice.

devzz

Thanks Devzz for your detailed response.

Customized MBA: There are total of 4-5 institutes in India that provides MBA sort of education in Infrastructure. After going through curriculum of each of them, AIIM looks the best. But what i think is that the contents of "Infra" subjects and "management" subjects are squeezed into sort of 6 months individually. From the hours allotted it looks that only an overview of each topic is possible in such a short duration. Instead of 12, 15 months would have some justice to the contents. I am not sure if subjects like Project planning etc are dealt with latest software trainings like primavera etc. Similar to this are they giving exposure to latest software applications in subjects which need to.

ISB and IIMA PGPX: I hope you agree to the concept that MBA is something like giving expert opinions and experiences to the candidates and not "TEACHING". It is more of sharing experiences and learning from them. Understanding case studies, their logics and having discussion on them. This exactly is the model that best European, US institutes have. ISB is no different from them. They have launched their institute in collaboration with top institutes of the world like Kellogg etc which gave them the recognition of best in class. They have regular faculties from abroad where in they share experiences. Atleast in Infrastructure, India needs US and European experience. Ofcourse adaptability will be as per Indian conditions. I do not see any regular or esteemed faculty from any of the institutes of US or Europe. Neither AIIM seems to have collaboration with any of the well known Infrastructure firms other than Adani. For technical subjects i do not find any experts who is well known in the industry. I am sorry but these are from the information that i saw in the websites. Practically it may be different in the institute. You may like to educate us in this regard if different from what stated above.

Jobs: Every industry has its own demand in various functions. What i meant was, is there any mapping of INDUSTRY DEMAND vs COURSE? If yes than surely there would be no dearth of jobs as industry will get experts directly from institute rather than training even a General MBA candidate. But in case there is no mapping of the demand and course offered, than i am doubtful of good placements and good packages.

Age: +4 years is the minimum criteria that i talked about. From my understanding in 5 yrs of experience and above generally people get to know about management and operations. And if they are from Infrastructure field, than ofcourse it would be a good team from various domains of infrastructure. Where as freshers, or people with 1 or 2 yr experience, it is generally seen that most of the time goes in training or internship and mostly the profile are of documentation or coding or field supervision. This group does not seem to offer variety or decision making capabilities. There may be one or few exceptions.

IIMA: Yes it is a huge asset but only in the subjects of MANAGEMENT. What about INFRASTRUCTURE? The whole reason of this course is Infra. If there would have been some collaboration with other than Adani group, it would have offered good value for money.

Placements: Objective of every MBA institute is to offer best possible placements as it is due to this that people come to know about the institute. Further being a private institute placements can not be taken lightly. But the whole question is "at what level/position"? From ISB people go at AVP or VP position. If a person with +5 yrs of exp and AIIM course offered Sr Mgr position, with package of 10 lacs, i do not this it is a good value for money. But yes if it lands at +GM position with +20 lacs package then yes, it itself indicates that Industry has recognized the course, the sole reason of offering such a customized MBA.

To my understanding the website only tells the need of Infrastructure and people to manage them but it has restricted itself in indicating that AIIM will create such people for the industry.

Pls take the above as discussion. I am no one to challenge the course, rather i would like myself to learn, as my interest lies in building India's infrastructure. The questions that i have put indicates that people are not aware of the intricacies, thats why such queries and discussion points are popping up.

Mauja - the happiness

Sure maujha,
I'll educate you about the real situation:
1. I partly agree that 12 months may not be apt for everybody. But then, that is where one needs to keep in mind that the individuals who decide to join here more or less know what they want to get out the course. Of course, you cannot expect the professors to actually teach you each and every aspect of a software package. However, we are given material through which we can learn about the particular package. In our case, we use MS project. This is a common phenomenon at every 1 year program. One more thing that you may have noticed is that the program has been designed by some of the most renowned professors who were also involved in designing IIMA's program. However, I'd reiterate that 12 months or 24 months depends more on the individual's preference.

2. Well, I do agree with the expertise of the European or the American schools. The management is aware about that. However, based on certain informal discussions that we have had, the institute woud enter into a collaboration once it has established itself. The reason being that the top schools enter into a collaboration with schools who have some past record. Since, we want collaboration only with the best schools, we have right now refrained from such a step. ISB is an exception as it was a Mckinsey baby.
Talking about the teaching, I believe you are referring to core general management subjects as technical subjects and not the civil engineering ones. Well, if you go through the faculty, you would probably find that the faculty consists of seasoned professors who have experiences both as board of directors in numerous organizations as well as in academics. They are also some of the most reputed academic names in the industry.
As for the collaboration with other firms, I do agree that having relations with industry is good. However, in the first year we had consultants from Jones LaSalle LaGrange, Mckinsey, KPMG and E&Y; coming us and teaching us. In addition, we went on an international trip where we interacted with professors from Tianjin University, China as well as experts in the port, Free trade zones, Urban planning sectors. So as a first batch, this is a good exposure. And I expect that the interaction trend would only go up for the future batches.

3. I am not sure what you imply by industry mapping vs course because the reason for introduction of this course is that the companies who train the general MBAs about the nuances of the Infra sector for an year after their induction would no longer need to spend on training them. Hence, this is where the course carves out its niche. Besides, if you look at the budget, huge investments are going to take place in the Infra sector. And you would agree with me that wherever money is involved, Managers are required. And with this, the role of allied services such as finance, Consulting becomes important.

4. I am not in a position to comment about the level/salary package/companies as this is the first batch. However, I'd like to point out that the level of placement that one would achieve depends on an individual. As per the networking with the industry, the institute has its connections and would give the opportunity to an individual to perform. All I can say at that the opportunities are there to exploit. And we as a pioneering batch are putting in extra efforts to ensure that the future batches only grow on a strong foundation.

5. I agree with your understanding on the experience side. That is why the institute has fixed a minimum age bar. The statistics also suggest the same. Moreover, the institute has managed to get together a good mix though I'd confess that like any other B-school in India, IT folks numbers are more. Nevertheless, the diversity has been achieved as we have entrepreneurs, students from the real estate sector, roads and highways, consultants, power and energy, as well as Chartered Accountants.

6. As for the website, we are open to suggestions. So in case you have some specific feedback as to what information you expect to get from the website, do let me know and I'll gladly pass it on the concerned people.

Regards
devzz

6. As for the website, we are open to suggestions. So in case you have some specific feedback as to what information you expect to get from the website, do let me know and I'll gladly pass it on the concerned people.

Regards
devzz

hi devzz

it would be nice if we can see the placement report of the current batch on the website. The companies visiting and the avg and median slaries.
hi devzz

it would be nice if we can see the placement report of the current batch on the website. The companies visiting and the avg and median slaries.

As I mentioned before, the placements are yet to happen. As this is the first batch, it is not possible to show any other reports as well. Besides, AIIM starts its course later than most courses. Hence, placements would also start later. The placement report would be published once the placements have happened.

devzz

Hi Amit,

Do share your experience of the Interview. Wish you all the very best.

Mauja - the feeling of enjoyment

hi devzz

Dear Dev, when is the placement expected? Will it be before the start of new batch or later? Do you see overlap of existing batch with the 2nd one?

I am sure with the growth expected in the Infra sector, all of you will get very good opportunities and industry will welcome this move of Adani's. I hope you become the "look upon" institute for the established institute to offer such customised courses.

Wish you all the very best

Mauja - The feeling of happiness

Hi Friends ,
At Last hardwork at this age paid off and got a admission offer from Director. I have to deposit commitment money by 06 May 2010. I am a simple Science graduate (1987 Vintage) and for last 21 years serving in Army as an Officer.
So Guys anyone else got the offer , pls send me a private message and we can discuss certain issues. As of now it is PARTY TIME n lets have a chilled drink in Hot Summer month.:drinking::cheers:

Hope to hear from selected guys soon.

Take Care n Be Good :cheerio::clap:

hello puys,

i got selected in AIIM n my profile is 2.5 yrs of work exp. in textile....i gave my gd/pi in gurgaon on 11/04 so any guy who converted plz pm me thanx...

Hi This is Gautam,
I got selected to 2010-2011 batch, i have 4 years of exp in S/W and i had done PGCPIB from IIFT new Dehi

Please find my comments in red -

Hi Amit,
Do you see such customised MBA workable? Why not? Till now no placement reports (1st batch still to pass) Well duh! All Whartons and ISB's have had similar experiences 😉 I am sure and even websites like pagalguy etc are not at all giving any opinion about such institutes. Lets face it...Puys are not fools. Nobody makes a comment without any data. The mantra is to wait and watch :)

Is this course recognized? I recognise the ISB course...would you agree? Which all the companies apart from Adani will recruit from here? Ummm...maybe you should ask the AIIM board of governors this.

Basically what value add will passouts from this institute will do to companies? Good question Does company need those value adds? Good question again - Lets wait and watch..what say? Normally Infra companies look for TECHNICAL-EXPERIENCED-DOMAIN PEOPLE, as is generally seen even in campus placements. REALLY??? Secondly are the Infra companies are good pay masters? Good question ofcourse you can not expect fresher or people from core IT to think of this institute. :( But yes may be people who has +2 yrs of exp in some infra company with lower package will try for this thinking they may get some way good package. :(

Another point is, since this course is the new one, only those students who did not make through other institutes will only try, hopefully the avg ones but in no way the best ones. Boo Hoo :(.... You mean the outlaws :( So the exposure/interaction may be questionable. Boo Hoo again 😉 It would have been ideal if only +5yrs exp people in Infra (directly or indirectly) would have been considered. Than yes variety, knowledge and matured interaction would have been certainly there. Hmmmm...

The only good point i see is Dr Dholakia is the person who is driving the institute. So may be in future if this institute COLLABORATE with other foreign institutes, something what ISB did, than ofcourse it may turn out to be a good one. But at the same time as most of the faculties are from IIM, going for such move looks dark. HUH!#@#$?? Are you implying that the IIM faculty/alums are no good??? I hope you know that even Mr. V K Menon (of ISB) is an IIM alum. Also, ISB Mohali which is scheduled to commence in 2012 will have specialization in Infra as one their course. But it will have brand name attached to it. Guess this answers your very first question about workability of customized MBA's :)

These are just my opinion, may change after 1st placements. Thank you Basically it all depends on how industry welcomes this move. Very True

All the best

Mauja...no offense meant :)

Cheers to all those who got selected. We shall meet soon.

All the best to those looking forward to their interviews.

Best,
Whoelsebutme!
As I mentioned before, the placements are yet to happen. As this is the first batch, it is not possible to show any other reports as well. Besides, AIIM starts its course later than most courses. Hence, placements would also start later. The placement report would be published once the placements have happened.

devzz

Hi Devz,

Are you from the current batch at AIIM? If so, can we please catch up over personal messages?

Hii all,
Congrats:cheerio: to all who have got selected including me myself, and Best of luck to all those who still have their Interviews lined up.

Well, I think i will be the youngest of the lot and having least experience of just 2.2 Yrs. in RIL, jamnagar.

Will meet u all soon:cheers:. Byee tc.

Hi amitdhawan1983,

can you please post & share your interview experience.

rgds

Hello
I am starting this thread for all those who are interested in Adani Institute of Infrastructure Management for 2010-11 batch. Its a one yr course. I think the current students can chip in with there constructive suggestions.
I have applied in 1st cycle and my interview is in Delhi on 11 April 2010 (Sunday).

My Profile
Avg acads
B.Tech
4.5 yrs exp in telecom

Hi All: I got the admission too ... Divesh here with ard 4 yrs of work exp ... See you all soon