A thread for TOEFL

Jus startled to see that there was no separate thread for TOEFL. Instead it was discussed under the GMAT thread itself. Anyway, i havent taken GRE yet. So gotta prep for TOEFL. Plan to take my TOEFL well ahead of GRE for the following reason…

Jus startled to see that there was no separate thread for TOEFL. Instead it was discussed under the GMAT thread itself. Anyway, i havent taken GRE yet. So gotta prep for TOEFL.

Plan to take my TOEFL well ahead of GRE for the following reasons.

1. I wanna make myself comfortable and know what to expect environment wise for the GRE (I've heard stories of guys being unable to concentrate during exam due to factors such as noise, erryfeeling when 2 or more ACs are sometimes focussed exactly on u) and I do believe that iam at an advantage knowing what to expect so that i can psyche myself ahead of GRE
2. I thought that it would be wiser to go for a relatively less important exam like TOEFL and get it over with before a relatively more important exam like GRE.
3. i wanted to avoid the tension behind the introduction of the new TOEFL which is likely to happen only by November in India. When i booked toefl, i thought that the new toefl may begin in September. So wanted to avoid it.

Tried powerprep but it gives scores in ranges and seemed very easy. Kaplan test though was interesting. I took it up at USEFI and due to too much of noise (the guys there were chatting loudly), i was unable to concentrate properly leading to a score that bothered me.

What books(CDs or tapes) are the best when it comes to TOEFL (I know quite a few of u wouldnt have used books)? I have never thought of TOEFL to be too serious an exam. is there anything in particular i must be wary of?

What books(CDs or tapes) are the best when it comes to TOEFL (I know quite a few of u wouldnt have used books)? I have never thought of TOEFL to be too serious an exam. is there anything in particular i must be wary of?

Nothing really. Powerprep is good enough to measure your competency. If you still want to read/practice, use Kaplan's TOEFL CD (I have one) and Barrons verbal workout (it discusses all the type of questions in detail).

Make sure you concentrate well while listening to long conversations/lectures. This is where I slipped, and when I saw the questions that followed, I said "oopppsss". I am yet to get my score, but it would be around 285 :)

Kaplan's CD is available somewhere in this blog.

All d best

SNAX
spamtaneous Says
toefl pattern is gonna change from this sep-oct....how true is it??

Yes, its changing from September in USA. In India, it will change only in 2006.

"The test will first be administered in the United States on September 24, 2005. On October 22, the TOEFL iBT test will begin in Canada, France, Germany and Italy. The test will be introduced in the rest of the world in 2006."

For complete information, see:
http://www.ets.org/toefl/nextgen/index.html

SNAX
Nothing really. Powerprep is good enough to measure your competency. If you still want to read/practice, use Kaplan's TOEFL CD (I have one) and Barrons verbal workout (it discusses all the type of questions in detail).

Make sure you concentrate well while listening to long conversations/lectures. This is where I slipped, and when I saw the questions that followed, I said "oopppsss". I am yet to get my score, but it would be around 285 :)

Kaplan's CD is available somewhere in this blog.

All d best

SNAX

Kaplan's CD is available somewhere in which blog? plz can u give me a link

new news guys. TOEFL against all odds is getting changed from september i think. so guys taking up TOEFL after August 31st have to prepare for new generation TOEFL. Also, Prometric is having new sessions starting at 5:00 PM and 6:00 PM. dates for the month of august are getting filled up rapidly (atleast,the above information is valid for people choosing Chennai as test center). So thats something to think about for all u guys.

For information regarding toefl test, visit www.toefl.org
For scheduling toefl test and info reg scheduling, visit www.prometric.com

Best of luck guys

new news guys. TOEFL against all odds is getting changed from september i think. so guys taking up TOEFL after August 31st have to prepare for new generation TOEFL. Also, Prometric is having new sessions starting at 5:00 PM and 6:00 PM. dates for the month of august are getting filled up rapidly (atleast,the above information is valid for people choosing Chennai as test center). So thats something to think about for all u guys.

For information regarding toefl test, visit www.toefl.org
For scheduling toefl test and info reg scheduling, visit www.prometric.com

Best of luck guys

Dood, read the previous posts before u post some news
TOEFL is changing in India only in Jan 2006 😃

yes, that was the announcement then. now i believe that its been done away with and now the next generation toefl is likely to get implemented by September. my friend who took GRE yesterday told me that there is an announcement on the notice board of Prometric that new TOEFL is getting implemented from september. couldnt see it on the toefl site though. can anyone confirm this?

srikrishnan Says
yes, that was the announcement then. now i believe that its been done away with and now the next generation toefl is likely to get implemented by September. my friend who took GRE yesterday told me that there is an announcement on the notice board of Prometric that new TOEFL is getting implemented from september. couldnt see it on the toefl site though. can anyone confirm this?

appa srikrishna koncha nerathla vayatha kalakittaye.. yenna naan sep 28th date vaangi vachirukken.. intha mathiri purali kelapi vidathappa :)

u can see in the below link that TOEFL new test will be implemented only from 2006 jan.. i called pronmetric and verified it

http://www.ets.org/toefl/nextgen/timeline.html

cheers
nagila

Dear Nagila
can u b kind enuf to post in English please? Ur seemingly harmless post may ramify into numerous interpretations :grin: uc...since a vast majority of pagals dont follow ur language.
PM if u wanna use ur mother tongue ( I guess so)

Regds

appa srikrishna koncha nerathla vayatha kalakittaye.. yenna naan sep 28th date vaangi vachirukken.. intha mathiri purali kelapi vidathappa :)

u can see in the below link that TOEFL new test will be implemented only from 2006 jan.. i called pronmetric and verified it

http://www.ets.org/toefl/nextgen/timeline.html

cheers
nagila
Dear Nagila
can u b kind enuf to post in English please? Ur seemingly harmless post may ramify into numerous interpretations :grin: uc...since a vast majority of pagals dont follow ur language.
PM if u wanna use ur mother tongue ( I guess so)

Regds

ty omreta for ur kind observation.. 😃 those lines in my native language is meant as a small joke and srikrishnan (to whom i addressed it) will understand it.

as for as why i didnt PM it - i also posted a crucial info which will bring end to the needless confusion regarding TOEFL new format.. and i typed it in english so that everyone can understand..

cheers
nagila

Regards
Sumit

Regards
Sumit

Yes, I'm also interested, but for different reasons .. IF it is there on the forum, its a copyright violation...pm one of the mods with the link to the thread and it shall be removed immediately !!

Cheers

ps: I'm still wondering if the OP called this "forum" a "blog"
Yes, I'm also interested, but for different reasons .. IF it is there on the forum, its a copyright violation...pm one of the mods with the link to the thread and it shall be removed immediately !!

Cheers

ps: I'm still wondering if the OP called this "forum" a "blog"

Hey, sorry for my earlier message. I got Kaplan TOEFL CD from either testmagic or scoretop (dont remember where), from one of the bloggers on those sites. I didnt mean PG when I said this blog :huh:
So mods.... dont worry

V-ROD, Plz note, we do NOT allow copy-righted stuff on the forum. Plz refrain from posting any similar material in the future :)

Cheers

I want to know whether i need to give TOEFL for applying to Nanyang...

should i take the toelf

hi guys...

i have a 700 on the GMAt with 77% in Verbal and 4.0 on the AWA. Now i am applying at Insead, Said, Darden, Duke, tepper. Should i take the TOELF to offset my low AWA and verbal scores. Does it help in anyway. Also where do i prepare if i need to take the TOEFL.
should i take the toelf

hi guys...

i have a 700 on the GMAt with 77% in Verbal and 4.0 on the AWA. Now i am applying at Insead, Said, Darden, Duke, tepper. Should i take the TOELF to offset my low AWA and verbal scores. Does it help in anyway. Also where do i prepare if i need to take the TOEFL.

I guess that its always better to take TOEFL and score well even if it is not mandatory....

hey, i`m so confused abt this TOEFL mess. can anyone clarify the following:

1. What are the new toefl rules and what are the changes in toefl starting 2006?

2. what`s ibt-toefl ?

3. how to register? where to call? prometric or...?

4. what`s this paper based and computer based thing? Which one is better/preferred? is this option available in 2006?

5. i`m done with gmat and have a 730 with a 42 (96%) in verbal. should i take the toefl at all?

Any other toefl info apart from these querries will be highly appreciated.

ibt toefl is internet based toefl test with 4 sections namely listening, speaking, reading and writing and is computer based. you can book the appointment by visiting the toefl website and pay by credit card.i think papre based test is no longer applicable in india. computer based test is better and i dont know about how is internaet based test applied.
yes for applying to us colleges TOEFL is must. there you may find some colleges which can do without GRE or GMAT but wont even consider your applicatin without TOEFL.
even if u manage admission without toefl visa would be a problem so it is better u appear fro the test and for a person lik eu with 96 %in verbal toefl would be like.....get up one morniong and sit for the test(though i dont advice u that)