A one year review of our community service activities!

Hello folks! I’ve been thinking to make a list of all the community service activities we’ve conducted over the last year or so through our forums. I’m going to start with Mumbai and the other cities folks can join in and reply to this post with t…

Hello folks! I've been thinking to make a list of all the community service activities we've conducted over the last year or so through our forums. I'm going to start with Mumbai and the other cities folks can join in and reply to this post with the activities done in that specific city. Once we have a list of our accomplishments we can put it up on the portal as inspiration for others to join the cause :)

So however simple the deed might have been, feel free to post here and let the world know.

Activities in Mumbai:

1) Teaching Computers, Internet and related skills to the 3rd batch of students. We've taught around 30 or so students per batch.
2) Working on a 6 month curriculum which includes teaching computer skills, internet skills, basic accountancy, telephone etiquette .. ( Mumbai junta.. add more )
3) Running a Marathon together with the other junta and collecting money thru the same.
4) Arranging and volunteering at 3 medical camps conducted by NASEOH outside Mumbai.

Let us know folks.. I could've missed out on some more activities here ..

I hope this is the first question we must ask ourselves before we commit ourself to offer services to the Community.

There are somethings which we feel are neccesities in our life and that's why we do them. Community Services are more than a Commitment. Just as other things are important in our life, we should also believe that our services are also necessary for some people who need us.

I hope once we answer ourself this question, we will have much to add to the reviews.

As far as bangalore is concerned, we are involved with an Organisation called Samarthanam which aims at education and rehabilitation of visually impaired people. We are involved in teaching children,rendering reading services for them, recording cassettes,editing notes for them among others. We are planning to organize a computer work shop for them this summer.

But something is still lacking and that is the dwindling volunteers. I think we need to target the reason behind it and use this thread to encourage people to join us.

Good point there. As far as I am aware, the only group that has been working non stop without a shortage in volunteers has been the MLCS group. But I believe that has more to do with the fact that the regular junta who show up every week are extremely committed to the cause. Each of them can be depended upon to get the work done and the core group hasn't changed much in over a year or so. That will happen in the next couple of months when most of them leave to bschools n such. But this discussion is not for this thread :)

Right now, I am looking at finding out how many ways we've been able to touch lives in our own ways 😃 Once all of us know the actual extent of our reach, that gives us more info to discuss.

Cheerios!

frankly put,i do think about doing something everyday(helen keller institute is on the way to my office) to the cause but just initiation is not there.
and for others,its my personal feeling,but when u do help others(it isnt necessary that they should be underprivileged or special) the satisfaction is incomparable.
few days ago, i remember helping a blind man cross the road and had a gait in my walk whole day of being worth something.
jawan taiyar hai sir!!!

Try to understand the flow of a thread before you post on it. Pls do not dilute the thread's purpose. This is a serious thread to discuss & review the work we have done till now. Every Sunday we Mumbaikers meet at NASEOH. If u are interested, see this thread - http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/new-syllabus-for-naseoh-mumbai-service-25006604

2) Working on a 6 month curriculum which includes teaching computer skills, internet skills, basic accountancy, telephone etiquette .. ( Mumbai junta.. add more )

PGz, How could you forget my contribution - Spoken English?? And buying un-necessary stuffs in the exhibition to support a cause... Just kidding!!!
This thread is a good idea to encapsulate the activities done in other places in a single thread!! :smile:
Cheers

My bit for the Chennai chapter of PGCS:smile: ......

We're the new kids on the block, so to speak...had our first meet on the 22nd of January this year and its been a great ride since then.:smile:

What we do :

We go to the Royapuram Boys Orphanage (RBO to us) every Sunday and spend a few hours there with the kids. The main agenda is to get the boys to understand and speak English. We do this by imparting some basic grammar lessons and try to make the sessions as participative as possible. We also try to squeeze in some value addition lessons wherever possible. So tests, games, stories, prizes, reprimands,....we have them all.

These kids dont have a support system the way normal kids do, so we figured the onus is on us to make them more educated, confident and responsible.

Ummm....seeing the Mumbai activities is giving me an inferiority complex here:smile: but this is all we do for now. I do like to think we're still in a fledgling stage though.

Last couple of months have let me interact closely with the kids, which has been an experience in itself. I've met new people, made new friends, had new experiences, besides relearning some grammar myself .....its been grand!:smile: Initially, there was a problem of dearth of PG volunteers, but now I do believe we are in a consolidation phase with fresh people volunteering every week. The response is getting better all the time and if you can and do want to make it even better, do post here:smile: ....
http://www.pagalguy.com/cat/showthread.php?p=184470#post184470

Special thanks to all the active folks who have made the Chennai chapter possible:smile: ....Lets keep at it ppl! Chennai PGCS rocks!!

Guys, if I missed something, do fill in.....

As is his wont...simon uncannily does the job...thorough and precise as ever...but was jus wondering if the "CRY Pin Wheel" campaign sometime last year fits the scheme of things...the campaign came in the midst of some false starts to the full fledged initiative, so had to take the help of a few frens locally to get it off the ground. The Cry Pin Wheel Campaign was an effort to educate the people about the fundamental rights of a child-the idea was not to raise funds for the kids, but more to garner support for cause of the kids- we did manage to spread awareness about the campaign.And many moons later, we did start out on the formal launch of the Chennai PGCS chapter and if theres one thing i were to add, it has to be the learning curve which i ve experienced. Speaking for myself, i now realise that its one thing to talk about the problems faced by organisations like the RBO, its quite another to work within the system to make a tangible change...as they say..you ve got to be in the system to change the system. Having said that, i guess the real challenge has just begun now that the initial euphoria is over. The onus is on us to take it to the next level, include new activities, make it more interactive, indeed consolidate.

Cheers
God Speed
Yogesh

One general activity:
1. NL for MVF. This has been not so successful so far. Need some serious work here.

Summarizing DCS activities:

1. Helped the kids with their xams for 3 months.
2. This is what we are going to do now - Work on toning down their dis-interest in acads. Also, Work on non-academic aspects such as - general awareness.

1) Teaching Computers, Internet and related skills to the 3rd batch of students. We've taught around 30 or so students per batch.

How about the rather recent "talk to the lads" thingy? Talking to them about what they could do after Naseoh, what their dreams were, how things really are... if we could continue that it might just help them get to know more.

Simba did most of this right ?... whatsay mladay ?

It is United Nations Global Youth Service Day between April 15 and 17. The day is precisely what its name says. Any plans by any CS chapter to celebrate it?

Oh, and BTW we can get ourselves listed as a member organization of the Global Youth Service Day, directions are on the website.