a fresher mba or an mba with work-ex..which is better?

hello friends!! this is one question that has always made me think and think a lot…and i’ll will be very obliged to u if u can put forward some points or views on it…

hello friends!!
this is one question that has always made me think and think a lot...and i'll will be very obliged to u if u can put forward some points or views on it..

Hi ....

Well I faced the same problem when I was in 3rd year of my engineering... bt after a few analysis I found that to go through MBA, 1 needs to know to whom you are going to manage, rather on to whom u r going to apply yr knowledge n acuman... right!!!

So i would suggest to go for at least 2 years of experience.....what i m going through... at the same time i am preparing for CAT ....

Tapan Patel

hello friends!!
this is one question that has always made me think and think a lot...and i'll will be very obliged to u if u can put forward some points or views on it..

My advice ....Get the MBA as soon as possible....

Just one warning..As a fresher ..assess your strengths ..aim high ....

..look at the results..If you achieve your target..Congrats!!!...

..If not..do another assesment ...ask yourself why???...

ask yourself whether you still believe that you have it in you to achieve that original target or if you need to revise that....

..it is at this time that you might go in for some work experience....

..and take another shot at the original/revised target...

Sorry if that sounds confusing...!!!:)

Regards
Tanveer
hello friends!!

Dont worry both the ways have its positive and negative points.

Without work exp.
- U have few extra years in ur hand
- Fresh MBA will help u in the area of ur interest and also will help the company to mould u in that way.
- etc

With work exp.
- U will learn the corporate culture which will help u in grassping MBA in practicle way.
- Exp in similar field in which u will be doing an MBA would give an advantage over others.
- etc...

I think we should have some thread elsewhere relating to the same issue!..
but as far as my opinion goes...i think if u can find what you love to do..its always good to go for work-ex..just dont go for the heck of it!

This is one of the basic doubt that arises in the mind of a fresher..Am i too young for a MBA?Should i work for 2 yrs and then do an MBA?

If you ask me,whether it is fresher or ppl with with work-ex,both have to sweat it out in premier institutes like iim's,xlri,fms etc..

The only difference arises during the placements.Ppl with work-ex walk away with more lucrative jobs than freshers.

This is just a general opinion..on a very broad level..The 1 crore salary(and more:wow: )that we come to know of in news would be for work-ex ppl.

If you are satisfied with a few lakhs lesser( who isn't? ),go for it.

This is one of the basic doubt that arises in the mind of a fresher..Am i too young for a MBA?Should i work for 2 yrs and then do an MBA?

If you ask me,whether it is fresher or ppl with with work-ex,both have to sweat it out in premier institutes like iim's,xlri,fms etc..

The only difference arises during the placements.Ppl with work-ex walk away with more lucrative jobs than freshers.

This is just a general opinion..on a very broad level..The 1 crore salary(and more:wow: )that we come to know of in news would be for work-ex ppl.

If you are satisfied with a few lakhs lesser( who isn't? ),go for it.

Hey guys

A classic debate I must say:satisfie: ... and everyone comprehends that there are strong points on both sides when there is a discussion on this. But can anybody deny that "work experience" adds value to an individual- to her abilities, her approach and her placements? I don't think nebody could deny . Work experienced candidates provide a different set of MBA newbies to recruiters coz there is a "natural preference" for candidates who have "been there and done that". After all, as an employee, u cost ur employer...and u need to justify that cost by adding value to the work that u wud be required to do.

Now whether u "NEED" to take wrk exp b4 MBA? That decision, chief, lies entirely with the candidate and the constraints resulting in the question being asked at the first place. Example: if a candidate is financially unstable, an MBA in a private B-school is still difficult.....she might as well decide to work and save some money for 2-3 years. In many practical circumstances, candidates prefer getting work experience to understand work nature in corporate b4 getting into the B-school stage----adds confidence, better understanding of work environment and hence a hang of "co-relating" theory with practical work life is developed.

Many jump into an MBA without proper thought put into "Why MBA? What specialization? What sector(s) to work in?" etc. Work experience provides the "thought channel" for this decision making....many existing b-school fresher guys can co-relate with these questions and hence confusion..

Cheers

I just attained Nirvana......I realised death is inevitable but I would continue to live forever as a PROUD PUMBAITE

my suggestion simple keep trying if you get in one of top instis well and good take it but if you cant theres always next year

being a fresher gives you time on your hand very understated but very imp

as for sal factor many a times you can make up for the lost sal at placement time by working for 2 years

say 24 yr old 2 yrs work ex package 10 lakhs pa
22 yr old 0 work ex package 7 lakhs pa

the 22 yr old can make 3 lakh pa and increase his package by working for those 2 yrs after mba so no diff as such usually

I want to know the answer to this question I cannt think of 1
I am a final yr engg student

Why don't u do job and then come back fter 2years to do MBA?

please give me some an answer

nice topic... though i cant believe this topic was never discussed on pagalguy earlier

ok here are moi two pence....

i will take a middle (jugaad) way.... no one can be dead sure whether he/she is going to make to IIM in a single attempt until or unless he is a demigod (phodu banda)...

what i would suggest ( if u r gunning for IIMs/XL/FMS/JBIMS)

get a job and write CAT simultaneously.... if u r lucky and get into IIMs nothing better than that ( no one on this forum would suggest u to leave IIMs and get more experience, thats bull shit )..... else u can keep on piling on the work ex.... after two years of work ex and two/three failures in CAT/XAT.... u will waste no time in deciding that MBA from a top institute in India is not your cup of tea ( after serious prep for such a long time )

U can then either sit for GMAT or slug it out for one or two more years... or if u are an engineer remain in the technical field.... also there are executive programs and PGP X for people with 5 years of work ex at IIMA....

so with the method i have suggested you loose no time.... its a win win situation... i think u should write CAT every year rather than waiting for two years and then writing it... job ex is good but sometimes u can become stereotyped....

as everything has its pro and cons this matter is entirely subjective...

but i think doing a job and writing CAT simultaneously ( right from the last year of graduation ) is the right and the most intelligent way to approach the situation

also remember one thing... when u say a work ex guy earns 1 crore salary i will give u a classic example that will put ends to all the doubts... i like giving examples

guy A (22 years old ): from IIT got 2 year work ex ( he is 24 now )@ 5 lacs per year
then did MBA from IIM ( 2 more years, he is 26 now ) gets a package of 1 crore
till 26 has earned net of 10 lacs and then will start earning 1 crore from a videshi company

guy B ( 22 years old): from Engineering from XYZ college....
takes CAT in the very first year... cracks it and joins IIM...
he studies there for 2 more years (now he is 24 years )
gets a package of 60 lacs from a videshi company

now u will say see guy A got the better deal

i would say NO

guy A is now 26 years old and earned 10 lacs
guy B is already earning 60 lacs when is just 24 ( and then he will move up the ladder in 2 years of working with that company ) say package is 90 lacs after two years ( when he is 26 )

but he has already earned 1 crore more than guy A ( which guy A will earn in one more year and both are in the same position )....

now u see everything is a matter of perspective do what suits u best as it is ur DECISION that matters in the end

@ catchmeu

Going straight for an MBA after college would be a faster route to higher responsibilities, pay etc. As someone above said, if you are able to crack the top institutes while in college, there is nothing like it.

Many finance companies wont touch workex people with a 20 feet pole, they specifically want freshers! Same for some core marketing profiles like HLL. This does make sense since the current job market means a lot of bright engineers going to IT. This means they are not as attractive to such companies anymore.

So, there is going to be demand from companies and B-schools themselves for fresh graduates for many seats. Some of the best B-schools in India take in about 50% freshers.

The latest trend in some I-banks is to hire IIT grads with good number crunching skills rather than IIM MBAs. This way they save money. So, work experience will really do you good only if you can get experience relevant to the sector you would join after your MBA.

Lots of chaos theory factors involved, I know.. but this is life 😃

i will give u a classic example that will put ends to all the doubts... i like giving examples

guy A (22 years old ): from IIT got 2 year work ex ( he is 24 now )@ 5 lacs per year
then did MBA from IIM ( 2 more years, he is 26 now ) gets a package of 1 crore
till 26 has earned net of 10 lacs and then will start earning 1 crore from a videshi company

guy B ( 22 years old): from Engineering from XYZ college....
takes CAT in the very first year... cracks it and joins IIM...
he studies there for 2 more years (now he is 24 years )
gets a package of 60 lacs from a videshi company

Fk,

Are these examples conjured up or real life. Well they sure look conjured up. If work experience was not valued, then why all the news of lateral plcmnts mking it big (read todays ET says da same thing @ IIM L plcmnts...doood everywhere da lateral plcmnts attract fattre packages.) and 60 lacs is a rosy figure for a fresher...(although never heard ne fresher getting 60 lacs....da company must ave an abysmally deep pocket to pay its employees). And howmany such examples can u provide for 1200 odd students tht pass out every year? 10%...I doubt the figure wud actually be low....

I think the wrk exp factor is sumthing tht really counts....u r right if a student cracks IIMs thn thr is no need to get any wrk exp...but this is where the diff in our education system lies...probably why IIMs dun actually figure in da Top global schools. All global schools focus on wrk exp candidates as an important criteria for selection (read Wharton, LBS, Harvard, Stanford). If u look at the macro pic, work exp is generally preferred before an MBA. ...the trend is visible in lateral plcmnts...wait for a few years....aping the west in this trend is not a distant act for our B-schools
Fk,

Are these examples conjured up or real life. Well they sure look conjured up. If work experience was not valued, then why all the news of lateral plcmnts mking it big (read todays ET says da same thing @ IIM L plcmnts...doood everywhere da lateral plcmnts attract fattre packages.) and 60 lacs is a rosy figure for a fresher...(although never heard ne fresher getting 60 lacs....da company must ave an abysmally deep pocket to pay its employees). And howmany such examples can u provide for 1200 odd students tht pass out every year? 10%...I doubt the figure wud actually be low....

I think the wrk exp factor is sumthing tht really counts....u r right if a student cracks IIMs thn thr is no need to get any wrk exp...but this is where the diff in our education system lies...probably why IIMs dun actually figure in da Top global schools. All global schools focus on wrk exp candidates as an important criteria for selection (read Wharton, LBS, Harvard, Stanford). If u look at the macro pic, work exp is generally preferred before an MBA. ...the trend is visible in lateral plcmnts...wait for a few years....aping the west in this trend is not a distant act for our B-schools

well first of all when i am mentioning XYZ college or something it means i am giving a example just to make my point CLEARER... if u think they were true figures at any point of time... shoot me cause as far validity goes so far till last year no one got 1 cr. package from IIMs... highest being 87 lacs... and this year the whole placement report hasnt been published yet...

and as far as a fresher getting 60 lacs... i have a living proof of it... my cousin brother ( FRESHER TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE ) got placed in hsbc london for 55 lacs last year from IIMB... and tell me how many work ex guys end up with 1 cr package.... some company prefer to take freshers examples given above in the post by route_to_perdition

Also i think here we are having a discussion about indian b schools and definetly not talking about Harvard and Stanford... DO U HAVE ANY IDEA how much dough do we need to land up in these institutes.... Is it possible for everyone to conjure up 60 lacs.... dont tell me about financial support.... u can get a max of 15 lacs... what about the rest of 45 lacs.... so it aint easy... who told u there arent ANY freshers in harvard and stanford... check the whole batch profile....

so dood my points are not totally fabricated

Also I think thats the beauty of the whole set up in India... whether u like it or not both freshers and work ex guys are at equal pegging.... and as u know work ex guys get preferred during the interviews... but there is a big ratio of non work ex guys landing up in IIMs.... So this is the system IIMs believe in and I dont think it will change in the next few years

I agree on the MACRO PICTURE u told about... did i ever say that work ex is bad.... I was only endorsing the view that it is better to give CAT( every year ) and get a job simultaneously.... READ MY EARLIER POST AGAIN and the example was just to explain that point... not to say its foolish to get a job...

I clearly mentioned keep doing the job but if u have a chance of getting into a top notch institute then take it... WAS I WRONG IN THAT REGARD...

Dear Friends.....

Everyone is focusing the first ever coarse of amount being offered on successfully finishing MBA.. bt very a few light on to what sort of responsibilities n authorities will u be supose to carry out, being an executive......

I think whn 1 achieves certain level ( i mean if u can go thru successfully to yr MBA ) then who won't desire to have flashing opportune to exhebit the same wht 1 earned while duing MBA... so i believe tht if 1 earns exprnc of sufficient amount , 1 can easily penetrate the way.. n obviously can have lucrative package irrespective of the b-school 1 passed away... as it's exprnc tht shows u, 4 wht u r here n to whom u r going to handle at wht level......

sorry my ans may seem be confusing......

bt wht i firmly say is to persue exprc of at least 2 years, so as u can have a glance of all wht u r going to study in b-school.... ths will really boost up yr confidence to progress ahead.......

Tapan

A good question ...

An MBA as a fresher is good - you are already in the drive for learning some things... and in a good form too... would be a good break from your engineerin g acads too... It also helps when one is an IITian or so - and looks forward to an MBA from an IIM - adds a lot of value to his profile - and the in-between workex isnt so much necessary... (personal opinion)... Anyway completing education as early as possible is advisable...

An MBA with some workex - say 2+ years - now this does take the cake in terms of having some idea of how an organization functions - and say where would u like to be post an MBA qualification - if thats what you have been always looking for -- OR --- you look out for an MBA to add on to your profile - say from the technical line to the functional hero... eg a guy in ERP consulting who knows the packages inside out - both technically and functionally... he is an asset to the industry and has solllid market value 😉 ... So you can say that having workex does give you a nice picture of the structure of the organization - and also adds value to you in terms of understanding the work concerned - the latter being the case where you seek MBA for sort of a value addition to your existing work profile... the former when you want to venture into something new - like entrepreneurship, new domains of knowledge etc etc...

Take your pick now... ;)

Ashish

hey thanks a lot for the useful posts posted earlier, really from my opinion after reading th above posts i have made a mind of going to a B school instead of going for work ex...as d two years we would be thinking only for B school. instead get into a B school if u r not clear of the type of job u want to do...
so i would finally go for MBA as had made the mind two years before, but need to ask one more thing to all of u----

which B school as a fresher u would opt for(siom, icfai hydrebad, wellingkar), if u know that u can easily get around atleast 95% next year n onwards.....
do give your opinion...

hey thanks a lot for the useful posts posted earlier, really from my opinion after reading th above posts i have made a mind of going to a B school instead of going for work ex...as d two years we would be thinking only for B school. instead get into a B school if u r not clear of the type of job u want to do...
so i would finally go for MBA as had made the mind two years before, but need to ask one more thing to all of u----

which B school as a fresher u would opt for(siom, icfai hydrebad, wellingkar), if u know that u can easily get around atleast 95% next year n onwards.....
do give your opinion...

sandy in my opinion u should opt for the best...

if u r targetting icfai, sion, wellingkar from the start... u r setting easy targets for u... with all due respects to all these institutes they dont figure in the top b schools in the country...

u dont need rigorous preperation for them.... if somebody says otherwise i would vouch against him....

so clear ur mind up...

as far as my opinion or what i am doing goes

i have given papers this year and have calls from iift, imt, imi and nmims....

but i think i will gun for iims and xl or fms only next year.... cause i want to chase my dreams instead of circumstances dictating life to me

a fresher mba or an mba with work-ex..which is better?

sorry for the digression dude... but it should be who is better rather than which is better.. dont u think??:satisfie:

Fk,

although never heard ne fresher getting 60 lacs....da company must ave an abysmally deep pocket to pay its

Are you talking in terms of dollar salary as well ??
Coz I have a friend who passed up an offer of $1,20, 000 from an I-Bank when he passed out of IIM-A in 2001 to join Mckinsey India ( His simple funda was that outside India..even if you earn 50 lacs ..you are still a "foreigner" while in India even if you are earning 10-12 lacs you are King!!!!)

Pretty sensible I thought ..(even more so.. I realised on Sept 11, 2001. Coz he would have been sittting in the WTC if he had taken up the I-Bank job!!)

Regards
Tanveer