760 (q50, v42)

Wrote gmat on monday, 26th Jan. I can provide a dramatic account of my experience but for once I felt like staying away from emotional drama. I think it only adds to the hype of the exam. But I can ignore these mature voices in my mind and stil…

Wrote gmat on monday, 26th Jan.
I can provide a dramatic account of my experience but for once I felt like staying away from emotional drama. I think it only adds to the hype of the exam. But I can ignore these mature voices in my mind and still pen down an entertaining account of the exam if that is what the audience wants.
Back to business - I managed 760 (q50, v42).
Since I got many useful advices from this forum, it is time to return the favour. Almost all my points have been taken from existing threads on this forum but I will re-state them to reassert their importance.
1. If you are non-native speaker or weak in grammar, then do go through Manhattan's Sentence Correction book. It helped me immensely to improve my accuracy.
2. Use the 5 question-time left table to avoid losing unnecessary time. For Quant subtract 9,10 and for Verbal subtract 8,9 mins for first 5 questions and the rest.
3. Don't try to speculate your score while answering questions. Because, You have no idea!
4. Use a watch to keep track of time in the optional break.

Can't think of anything else.

I got my AWA score on Friday. Got a mediocre score so no point in giving advice. It was sad to see a 5 because I felt I did well.
I don't know whether this is will be a problem in applications but that is a distant thought. I think I am late for 2009-11 admission so looking forward to join class of 2012.
Back to business - I managed 760 (q50, v42)..........
I don't know whether this is will be a problem in applications but that is a distant thought. I think I am late for 2009-11 admission so looking forward to join class of 2012.

First of all Congrats mate for getting good score. And indeed ur shared experience will benefit us a lot. good luck with next step

hi jonny....great score....can u advice me on improving verbal score...mine is dismal..( just got 23 )

CONGRATULATIONS !!!

Hey... further gyaan such as your profile and study prep materials used will be useful... I plan to appear for the GMAT on 5th Mar.

Johnny bhai - great score!

Was just chatting with Kunal Nagpal (from Chicago GSB) and he mentioned that there were not enough people carrying forward the torches from Kunal, Iday and Keya. Do give some gyaan and stay involved in the PG community!

Arun

shrisachin Says
hi jonny....great score....can u advice me on improving verbal score...mine is dismal..( just got 23 )

23 is dismal! Read a lot and practice even more. Go through as many books as you can.
CONGRATULATIONS !!!

Hey... further gyaan such as your profile and study prep materials used will be useful... I plan to appear for the GMAT on 5th Mar.

Hey Sohail, Sorry man. I was out on vacation so I couldn't respond to your post. But I hope its not late - 5th March is far away!

Ok. I used 2 books for preparation. Official Guide and Manhattan's Sentence Correction. I had Kaplan's 800 something but I didn't feel the need to go through that.

I wrote a lot of tests, I think. I had 2 Gmatprep software tests, 6 Manhattan Tests and 4 Kaplan Tests. I wrote 8 or 9 tests in all.

For AWA, I referred 800score AWA's pdf. But I don't have a score good enough to give any advice on this front.

Other than all this, take my advices (in the 1st post) seriously and everything else casually. Take it easy and have fun.

Wow....This is a great score.
"It was sad to see a 5 because I felt I did well. I don't know whether this is will be a problem in applications but that is a distant thought." A 5 is a totally fine score for the AWA.
Can you give a little more detail on how you studied?? What did you do other than Manhattan's Sentence Correction book and prep tests?

Hey Sohail, Sorry man. I was out on vacation so I couldn't respond to your post. But I hope its not late - 5th March is far away!

Ok. I used 2 books for preparation. Official Guide and Manhattan's Sentence Correction. I had Kaplan's 800 something but I didn't feel the need to go through that.

I wrote a lot of tests, I think. I had 2 Gmatprep software tests, 6 Manhattan Tests and 4 Kaplan Tests. I wrote 8 or 9 tests in all.

For AWA, I referred 800score AWA's pdf. But I don't have a score good enough to give any advice on this front.

Other than all this, take my advices (in the 1st post) seriously and everything else casually. Take it easy and have fun.

I scored 640 47Q,26V.... 😞 despite scoring more in verbal in all practice tests.

I too used the 800score AWA pdf.. 20 days for me to know the score...
Wow....This is a great score.
A 5 is a totally fine score for the AWA.
Can you give a little more detail on how you studied?? What did you do other than Manhattan's Sentence Correction book and prep tests?

Well, I'd love to hope that 5 is a fine score for the AWA (especially for non-native English speakers).

My study for GMAT can be classified into Maths and English preparation.

For Maths, I didn't need lot of preparation since I have been writing CAT since 3 years. I realized I was weak in Data Sufficiency so I focused on solving more DS questions. I solved questions from Official Guide and analyzed my mistakes from the prep tests. I was determined to score 51 in Quant. Anything less than that was not acceptable to me but I became a little bit careless during the exam. There was no fight for time, but I was in some hurry.

For English, I thoroughly solved Official Guide and Manhattan SC book. That was all for me. In the prep exams, I had realized that RC was my strength and SC was a weakness. But that Manhattan book helped me in improving my accuracy with SC.

Either the CAT background helped or it was my lucky day.

Congratulations Jonny !!!Thats really awesome score !! All the best and hope to interact more ....

Back to business - I managed 760 (q50, v42).
1. If you are non-native speaker or weak in grammar, then do go through Manhattan's Sentence Correction book. It helped me immensely to improve my accuracy.
2. Use the 5 question-time left table to avoid losing unnecessary time. For Quant subtract 9,10 and for Verbal subtract 8,9 mins for first 5 questions and the rest.
3. Don't try to speculate your score while answering questions. Because, You have no idea!
4. Use a watch to keep track of time in the optional break. Can't think of anything else.
I got my AWA score on Friday. Got a mediocre score so no point in giving advice. It was sad to see a 5 because I felt I did well.

congrats on the fantastic score dude..
you almost cracked quans out there.

could you please elaborate on the 5 question time left table? Never heard of it..

Hi Johnny bhai,

760.. Wow thats, an amazing score.. Congrats!!! Hope you get through to the best of universities 😃

Hey Johnny,

Congrats!! Need some quick advice........

I will be taking GMAT on 20th April. I have taken all the 6 Manhattan SC Test...can you tell me how close are the question in Quant of Manhattan and those of GMAT......and same question for the verbal.......

Hey Johnny,

Congrats!! Need some quick advice........

I will be taking GMAT on 20th April. I have taken all the 6 Manhattan SC Test...can you tell me how close are the question in Quant of Manhattan and those of GMAT......and same question for the verbal.......

Quant in Manhattan Tests was definitely more difficult than the real GMAT. At times, I struggled finishing the quant section in Manhattan tests.

Verbal is a tricky one. Difficulty level is a relative thing. But I would say that Manhattan was quite close to real GMAT.

Thanks Johnny....

Also can u tell me how many RC u got on your GMAT...and did u attempt all of them...wot should be the strategy like in that case becos RC can be really time consuming.......

Hi Johnny,

I would be taking the GMAT in July. I have pm'ed you a few queries regarding the prep. Can you please reply to the same?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Johnny....

Also can u tell me how many RC u got on your GMAT...and did u attempt all of them...wot should be the strategy like in that case becos RC can be really time consuming.......

I do not remember the precise no. of RC's, but I'd guess they generally have 4 of those. Of course, I attempted all. There is no strategy - you need to attempt everything. They maybe time consuming, but they improve your accuracy in the section
congrats on the fantastic score dude..
you almost cracked quans out there.

could you please elaborate on the 5 question time left table? Never heard of it..

Sure man. Here goes.

For every 5 questions answered in Quant/Verbal section, the clock should show time left as following -

Q: 66, 56, 46, 36, 26, 16, 6
V: 67, 58, 49, 40, 31, 22, 13, 4

For example,
When you have answered 5 questions in Quant, you should have 66 minutes left. And when you have answered 35 questions in Quant, you should have 6 minutes left .

Got it? If not feel free to bug me again, I have nothing else to do. 😃