760(Q-50,V-44)- A long, gruelling battle comes to an end!

Got done with the GMAT yesterday and scored a 760. Total 760 Quant 50 Verbal 44 Background: I belong to the over represented demographic segment of Indian,IT, Male working in one of the supposedly “great companies to work for” so had…

Got done with the GMAT yesterday and scored a 760.

Total 760
Quant 50
Verbal 44
Background:
I belong to the over represented demographic segment of Indian,IT, Male working in one of the supposedly "great companies to work for" so had to get a good GMAT score. I know GMAT score beyond a point doesn't help but at least a good score will give you an edge and maybe to an extent compensate for some other weakness in your profile

The decision to go for an MBA..
There were three primary reasons I wanted to do any MBA I
a)don't want to do the boring work that I'm currently doing
b)don't want to progress slowly.Hey who the hell gives a damn about becoming a team leader/project manager in an IT anyway
c) don't want to earn peanuts b) want to move to silicon valley-the place which is changing the world that we live in

Okay, let me not digress from the topic and make it a "Why MBA" essay and let me share with you my thoughts about my prep and what helped me achieve a good GMAT score. This is less of a debrief and more of a retrospection as I think about what helped me succeed. Here are some words of wisdom from a not-so-wise person who has beat the GMAT!

1. Start early AND finish early :Although I had started my prep quite early, I finished it quite late. I already missed the deadline ofISBHyderabad and though I'm primarily targeting the US Business schools but I'd have ideally liked to get over with the GMAT in October

2.My struggle with a Busy Work schedule...
This was a huge problem with me as I have a tight working schedule and sometimes I have to stay back in office till 8 in the evening. But I knew one thing for sure, that either I can rot in my current life and work like this earning peanuts or move to the next stage in life which could happen only by doing an MBA. So come what may,I need to study for the GMAT

3. The resources that Helped me crossed the barrier

Official Guide 12th and 13th edition- Don't waste questions in these books by practicing the questions randomly rather extract every bit by doing questions systematically and learning from them

Sentence Correction- Used SC Grail 3rd edition. Use the topicwise question matrix while practicing the 125 questions at the end of the book.I went through the book at least twice. I did use other books for SC but found them confusing. This one is a great book.

Critical Reasoning- CR comes naturally to me but I needed to learn the strategies and question types so that you take lesser time on them. Used CR Grail. Good for additional practice problems.

RC- Practice makes a man perfect and that couldn't be more true for RC. Did around 70-80 passages in all- 26 from OG13+ 30 from Aristotle RC Practice sets+20 from OG11 and OG12. Focus on building your mental stamina and analyze the passages well.

Quant- Used ManhattanGMAT Advanced GMAT Quant Guide for theory. Did around 180 practice questions from Aristotle PS & DS Boosters. Did all the OG Math problems. The initial ones frankly suck but it's the last 50 PS and DS each that you should do really well.

CATs- Did 2Kaplan, 6 ManhattanGMAT,1 grockit and 2 GMATPREP tests.so in all I did around 12 full length CATs spread over 20-25 days. GMATPREPs are the closest andMGMATare the next best ones!

5. How I learnt to prioritize
I'm a member of 3 social clubs and NGOs and an active sportsperson and catch up with my friends regularly. However, during the prep phase, I cut down on most of these things. Why? Think about the amount of time one ends up wasting in coordinating/travelling/meeting with friends in big cities. Going for a game of squash would mean that my entire Sunday would just vanish firstly in getting ready for the game, then playing it and then resting after coming back. It's about prioritizing things and focusing on what is important.

It's not being hard on yourself; it's just about not losing focus. Now when the GMAT is done, I can resume all the things

6.My advice for the G-day
The only advice I have for the test day is to not try predicting your score. I thought that I hadn't done well enough on the Quant section but was surprised to see a good score. Think of all the sections as independent ones and don't let your performance in one affect the other

7. What I learnt to Do Right After Doing It Wrong
Focus on learning.Not on doing.I think in the first month all I did was do more and more problems. I would just focus on doing maximum number of questions but learnt that it was not taking me anywhere so learnt the best strategies here and started focusing on doing the things the right way

8. Error Log-Does it help?
Even I had the same question when I read stories of people here who found error log very helpful. I always wondered do I need one.
Now most of us aren't very systematic and maintaining an excel sheet is something that we hate. But I think that error log helps a lot simply because I could come back to the problems I had gotten wrong and needed to review.

9. What I learnt from Full length Practice Tests
One thing I learnt the hard way is that your accuracy on timed practice tests is bound to be less than what it'll be when you'll do only a handful practice problems so one needs to live with this fact and don't lose your sleep. Initially I would get frustrated a lot after seeing the mistakes I'd make in a test.

10. My success Mantra
One of my guiding philosophy in life is that If you do the same thing, you'll get the same result
Probably,this couldn't be more true for the GMAT. If you keep on doing things the same way, you'll get the same results. I had to fundamentally change the way I studied to move beyond the ceiling that I had hit.

Very helpful Hemant. Thanks for sharing your experience and good luck for your applications.

I have just started preparing and am currently doing the OG's. While preparing, were you also tracking your accuracy levels?

Thanks vicky. Yes, I was tracking my accuracy level. However, what I think is more important than "tracking" accuracy level is what are you doing about that. What steps are you taking to improve the accuracy level. That is what matters

Thank you for sharing the experience. This helps a lot.

Hemant congrats for ur effort...I would like to know from where i can purchase the books u have mentioned?

This is about me"

Glad to hear that this is a club for GMAT. I intend to write GMAT in Feb 2013 just to have a fell of it, then try for the final one. Meanwhile i have 6+ years of experience in banking, rural development etc. I only have the GMAT 13th Edition Review with me. I am confused with the preparation. I dont know how to proceed. Will purchasing any books help? Also I aim to get into ISB or any IIM's. Kindly suggest some measures.
The point i was trying to make was...since i have been out touch from any attending any competitive examinations since 2 years...my preparation is from the scratch...also i feel now that i'm lacking in little verbal & English both...i need books to improve both.
Also i have a question:
1. Can i increase my score in GMAT only by referring Books?
2. Should i take all the books referred to as study materials & solve them?
3. Should i go through the concepts from the study materials & then solve papers?
4. Where can i get papers to solve?
Can u help me sort this out?

Regards,
Vinay
@hemant02 Many congrats buddy, Even I am also from the Same over represented group and I have all the same reasons as you to do MBA also one more reason is d) I hate my job to the core , boring on interesting I hate it ..(Support projects , solving tickets , Night shifts , zero social life, no respect have to fight with managers for even Registered holidays , 24* 7 you have to solve the issues :\ the list goes on and on and on )

I am in the middle of my prep but struggling a lot in improving my verbal score.
SC and CR are killing me every time I think I have done it right only to my disappointment the answer i select is wrong 😞
My accuracy is currently lingering at 50% from OG -12 questions and there seems to be no way out and with my current new job I cant have the luxury to attend classes.

If i have to do it I have to do it by myself only and in right way ...Please suggest for verbal.

P.S simply loved your the following lines
But I knew one thing for sure, that either I can rot in my current life and work like this earning peanuts or move to the next stage in life which could happen only by doing an MBA. So come what may,I need to study for the GMAT

Its my wallpaper now in personal laptop, office laptop , my cell 😃

hope to take inspiration from your debrief

Thanks,
Abhinav

@vinayfresher said:
Hemant congrats for ur effort...I would like to know from where i can purchase the books u have mentioned?
You will be able to purchase the ManhattanGMAT book from flipkart and aristotle books from aristotleprep.com . You will get 6 CATs free with the manhattangmat book so that will take care of the CATs.
Though I'd highly recommend you to buy the books as they really helped me but what is important is how you use the books and how you use your prep time. I found the advices in the attached pdf very helpful.
@dudeabhi011
If you have hit a wall in Verbal, I'd also recommend you to go through "The Wrong and the Right way to study for the GMAT" in the attached ebook. Also go through the last section.You'll get all your answers there

Hemant,

I did not find ebook attached?where can i find it?

Vinay

Hemant,

What exactly is the name of the book i.e Manhattan GMAT ?

Vinay

It is ManhattanGMAT Advanced Guide. The size of the file is too big so unable it to attach it. please download it from this link http://www.aristotleprep.com/the-gmat-demystified/

Hemant,

Thanks for the link...however i meant to ask which "You will be able to purchase the ManhattanGMAT book from flipkart " You will get 6 CATs free with the manhattangmat book so that will take care of the CATs." book is that?

Manhattan GMAT ( ) whats the complete name.

Happy new year....

Vinay

guys what can be the answer for this?

Give details

Dan and Karen, who live 10 miles apart
meet at a cafe that is directly north of
Dan's house and directly east of Karen's
house. If the cafe is 2 miles closer to
Dan's house than to Karen's house, how
many miles is the cafe from Karen's
house?
(A) 6
(B) 7
(C) 8
(D) 9
(E) 10

it makes a right angle triangle

X^2+(X+2)^2=10^2
X=6, X=-8,
distance from karen's home is X+2=6+2=8.
@hemant02 Congratulations! that is an awesome score!

@kunaldelwadia @vinayfresher I don't think this is the right thread to discuss specific questions :mg:

Arun
@hemant02 Congrats bro..

I have the same story as yours...Stuck in the IT job...Boring is an understatement actually..
Anyway wanted to ask you a few questions since I am new to GMAT prep and everything related to it..Tried my hands at CAT twice. The reason for doing MBA is to break into M&A;/PE
In India you need to be in the top 4-5 colleges to get into these areas..
So far what I have heard from seniors all have said very few people get into PE, you can say around 5-10 % of the finance people

Now since you have prepared for GMAT , you might be having a fairly good idea about colleges that are good for finance.

Your few words of wisdom please

Thanks!!!
@saurav205 I too have xact same query(as well as boring IT job) as yours.... @hemant02 can you please help both of us.... Thanks....
@nish_it I guess all engineers today face the same dilemma ..with the present scenario if you dont crack 99+ in CAT your dreams can get washed away..

You going for GMAT?
@saurav205 yes buddy....GMAT....(will be) looking for NUS, AIM....whn r u plannin to tak GMAT?