750 on GMAT Q:51 V:40

Hi Pagals, I am one of those pagals who have been silently following pagalguy ever since they were born. This is my first post. I don’t know whether I can start a thread to post this. So, please xcuse me dear moderators !! I scored a 750…

Hi Pagals,

I am one of those pagals who have been silently following pagalguy ever since they were born. This is my first post. I don't know whether I can start a thread to post this. So, please xcuse me dear moderators !!

I scored a 750 on gmat yestday . The break up - Quant : 51 Verbal : 40. Awaiting my AWA score.
I saw the score , couldn't believe it , was in a trance , came out of the test centre in Dickenson road,Bangalore , and wandered aimlessly on the road for quite some time. (I know that this sentence doesn't follow the parallelism rule , but I don't care any more 😁 ). I was so happy and didn't know what to do. I am a great fan of 'Pursuit of happyness' and I love the last scene, in which Will is offered a job and he is very happy. A similar scene in my life yesterday

I was consistently scoring 730-750 in my prep tests.
Gmat prep v2 1 : 730
Gmat prep v2 2 : 750 (Gave it 4 days before my test date)
Gmat prep v1 1 : 730
Gmat prep v1 2 : 750
(Notice a pattern here. I always scored well on 2nd test in both the versions. My score in the actual GMAT was 750 too. Hence, 2nd test in any version of GMAT prep can be considered close to the actual GMAT .
Please find the fault in the method of reasoning used by the author 😛 :P)
GMAT powerprep 1 : 740

MGMAT 2 : 730
MGMAT 4 : 730
KAPLAN 1 verbal : 36
KAPLAN 2 :660
KAPLAN 3 :610
MGMAT 5 verbal : 37 (gave it on the day before my test date. Was very disappointed to see this score. I always scored a 41 on MGMAT. I made many CR and RC mistakes. Hence, I kind of became circumspect while doing CR and RC on the real GMAT. And I don't know if that helped. So, should one give a test one day before the Dooms-day ???)
(now, why did i choose random tests in MGMAT and KAPLAN ? My roomie had access to those tests and he allowed me to write a few tests in return for some favours. He was my saviour :D)

I gave all the 800score verbal tests too. BTW,I gave GMAT exactly a year ago. Scored 680. It was a debilitating experience. If anyone is interested in my debrief, I will post a big long story (you will hurt ur fingers, trying to scroll down to the last line ) !
The ppl who posted debriefs earlier - I didn't know their faces, didn't know their names. But they were my heroes and heroines. I always imagined myself writing a debrief.

This was just a Ra.ONE trailer. Debrief.One to be released soon :P.

Hi Pagals,

I am one of those pagals who have been silently following pagalguy ever since they were born. This is my first post. I don't know whether I can start a thread to post this. So, please xcuse me dear moderators !!

This was just a Ra.ONE trailer. Debrief.One to be released soon :P.

congrats for your score....bravo...!!! well, i want to know what kind of study material you followed for the preparation of GMAT..??? i have just started preparing for GMAT...my GMAT month is february...date not decided yet...guide me fr this 700+ score.....

Hi,

For verbal, this is the material that I followed :

OG12 , MGMAT SC 2003 and latest edition. Power score bible for CR. Solved few CR sets from previous LSAT papers and also few LSAT sets from 1000 CR. Solved around 600 questions from 1000 SC.
Also, I attended verbal classes of ********, hyderabad. It helped me strengthen my SC fundamentals and also helped me devise my RC and CR strategies.
Solved around 10 RC and SC sets from ******** notes.

Verbal was my nemesis. So, I had to put in more effort on that front. I didn't do any prep for math.I am quite good at math and I just gave tests. I always scored a 50/51 (MGMAT tests are an exception! Math is really tough in those tests)

As you are starting now, I would suggest the following :
SC : complete mgmat SC. It's too good. Go on to solve OG sc questions after that. In every question, try to identify the kind of error - parallelism, modifier problems etc. Try to apply all the concepts that you have learnt. Application is important.
CR : I would strongly suggest completing Powerscore bible first. Take your time and complete it. Then, solve OG CR questions. Try to use all the concepts learnt from powerscore while solving these questions. Identify the premises, conclusion and try to attack the problem as powerscore suggests you to do.

I started studying powerscore 20 days before the exam. I didn't know that it's such a beauty. Until then, I just used common sense to solve CR questions and I used to get 9-10 correct out of 14 CR questions in the tests. Powerscore changed the way I look at CR questions.

These are the things that worked for me. I need to rush now. I will post some more information tomorrow. Thanks.

By MGMAT SC, I meant manhattan SC ! I hope it was clear.

Hi,

For verbal, this is the material that I followed :
These are the things that worked for me. I need to rush now. I will post some more information tomorrow. Thanks.

dude...thanks for such information... 😲 your strategy in my point of view is completely awesum...i have little information regarding the verbal material..so can you please tell me about power score bible for CR and LSAT papers. i dnt have any kind of material for CR..i have MGMAT SC.. if you have soft copy of power score bible then send me please..hope to get more information from you..

Rocking score man !!! u truly showed a Chris Gardner like persistence, didnt give up after your first score . must ve felt like all the crackers are being busted in your celebration :P.

I too am givin the test in Feb and targetting 750+(although i got a measly 570 in the mock 😞 )

Wanted to ask u a few things :

1. How different are the GMATPrep software test, which are available for free , from the GMAt paper tests 1,2 and 3 .

2. Do u have any idea about the GMAt focus tool of mba.com?

Please share ur profile with us .

go4cat12 Says
dude...thanks for such information... 😲 your strategy in my point of view is completely awesum...i have little information regarding the verbal material..so can you please tell me about power score bible for CR and LSAT papers. i dnt have any kind of material for CR..i have MGMAT SC.. if you have soft copy of power score bible then send me please..hope to get more information from you..

Hi,

CR Sets from Previous LSAT papers and also other LSAT sets are all present in the 1000 CR document.

Power score bible for GMAT - I have its hard copy. Dunno if there's a soft copy available. Search on esnips or elsewhere. You should be able to find it !

One more thing that helped me is -
In the gmat prep exam that I gave 4 days before D-day, I managed to score a 40 in verbal. But, I got 7 wrong in SC, 2 wrong in CR, 1 wrong in RC. It was strange because I used to get 2-3 wrong in SC in all the tests . I did a post mortem and found that in all of the 7 questions,I narrowed down to the final 2 answers but had a tough time finding the right answer. My roomie suggested that I should solve all the 185 SC questions collected from GMAT prep. I could find a document having all the gmat prep SC questions in one of the forums.(many thanks to the noble soul who collected all those questions ).

I was caught up with work for the next 2 days and I couldn't find time for those q's. I work at Hyd , but I had to book a slot at Bangalore. I took a print out of that document so that I could solve them in train (The wisest thing that I did). I got 8 out of the first 10 wrong :(. It was a state of panic just 2 days before the exam. I solved most of them while I was on my way to Bangalore. I got nearly 40-45 wrong. I cursed myself for spending so much time on easy 1000 SC questions and not giving enough time for some tough questions.

The second most wisest thing - I spent the whole of next day trying to find answers for those questions on the net. For all of those questions, I found awesome discussions on manhattangmat's blog - beautifully answered by Ron purewal and Stacy Koprince. I corrected few of my misconceptions, learnt few new things. Kudos to Ron, I became a fan.

I have this habit of telling it like a story :P. I always won a first prize in the story telling competitions in my kindargarten days 😁
Rocking score man !!! u truly showed a Chris Gardner like persistence, didnt give up after your first score . must ve felt like all the crackers are being busted in your celebration :P.

I too am givin the test in Feb and targetting 750+(although i got a measly 570 in the mock 😞 )

Wanted to ask u a few things :

1. How different are the GMATPrep software test, which are available for free , from the GMAt paper tests 1,2 and 3 .

2. Do u have any idea about the GMAt focus tool of mba.com?

Please share ur profile with us .

Hi,

Sorry for such a late reply. Thanks a lot for such a nice compliment - Chris Gardner like persistence. It's been so long since I have heard compliments :D. There's no 'Like' in pagalguy :P, Thanks wouldn't convey the same meaning as Like :P. Facebook mania

1. I haven't given gmat paper tests. I heard that they are retired tests and also that they are of an outdated toughness level. Gmat prep is adaptive and you will get to feel the real Gmat experience.
Give Gmat prep version 2 : test 1 and 2 , gmat prep version 1 : test 1 and 2 and powerprep : test 1 and 2.
I would suggest giving the tests of version 1 and 2 more than once.
If you still have time, paper tests won't do any harm :P. This is my opinion.
2. No idea about the focus tool.

My profile :

-Did my B.Tech in Electrical engineering(power) from IIT Delhi. My AIR in IIT JEE was 670.
-Working as a Senior software engineer at a product company. 4+ years work ex.
-Received few awards and recognitions at work place. One promotion too.
-Winner of the 'Navvula Don' contest conducted by Radio city. I was the first ever fun jockey of Hyderabad :D.
Co-hosted the Radiocity's breakfast show for 1 month and also produced a PPF (Pre-produced feature) for 4 months.
-Scripted dialogues for a telugu movie. Worked with a first time director for 3 months. Though the movie is in doldrums now (for financial reasons), I believe that I can bring out the experience live in my essays.
-Scripted and directed many skits in my school and college days.
-Represented my district at the state level Basketball tournament

Few other extra curriculars. I wish that ISB finds me good enough. Insha Allah :). To be on the safer side, I also want to apply to other schools abroad .

Can I apply to Kellogg ? What are the good schools that are in my reach ? Experts, can you please suggest ! . I think I will have to post the same in another relevant forum.

I have a low undergrad CGPA - 6/10. Nevertheless, I have a 93 % in 10th and 95.1% in 12th.
Moreover, my English writing skills aren't that good. It's going to be a lot of hard work.

Hi,

Sorry for such a late reply. Thanks a lot for such a nice compliment - Chris Gardner like persistence. It's been so long since I have heard compliments :D. There's no 'Like' in pagalguy :P, Thanks wouldn't convey the same meaning as Like :P. Facebook mania

1. I haven't given gmat paper tests. I heard that they are retired tests and also that they are of an outdated toughness level. Gmat prep is adaptive and you will get to feel the real Gmat experience.
Give Gmat prep version 2 : test 1 and 2 , gmat prep version 1 : test 1 and 2 and powerprep : test 1 and 2.
I would suggest giving the tests of version 1 and 2 more than once.
If you still have time, paper tests won't do any harm :P. This is my opinion.
2. No idea about the focus tool.

from where i can get these GMAT prep tests...???
Hi,

CR Sets from Previous LSAT papers and also other LSAT sets are all present in the 1000 CR document.

Power score bible for GMAT - I have its hard copy. Dunno if there's a soft copy available. Search on esnips or elsewhere. You should be able to find it !

One more thing that helped me is -
In the gmat prep exam that I gave 4 days before D-day, I managed to score a 40 in verbal. But, I got 7 wrong in SC, 2 wrong in CR, 1 wrong in RC. It was strange because I used to get 2-3 wrong in SC in all the tests . I did a post mortem and found that in all of the 7 questions,I narrowed down to the final 2 answers but had a tough time finding the right answer. My roomie suggested that I should solve all the 185 SC questions collected from GMAT prep. I could find a document having all the gmat prep SC questions in one of the forums.(many thanks to the noble soul who collected all those questions ).

I was caught up with work for the next 2 days and I couldn't find time for those q's. I work at Hyd , but I had to book a slot at Bangalore. I took a print out of that document so that I could solve them in train (The wisest thing that I did). I got 8 out of the first 10 wrong :(. It was a state of panic just 2 days before the exam. I solved most of them while I was on my way to Bangalore. I got nearly 40-45 wrong. I cursed myself for spending so much time on easy 1000 SC questions and not giving enough time for some tough questions.

The second most wisest thing - I spent the whole of next day trying to find answers for those questions on the net. For all of those questions, I found awesome discussions on manhattangmat's blog - beautifully answered by Ron purewal and Stacy Koprince. I corrected few of my misconceptions, learnt few new things. Kudos to Ron, I became a fan.

I have this habit of telling it like a story :P. I always won a first prize in the story telling competitions in my kindargarten days :D

can you please send me the soft copies of 1000 SC and 1000 CR documents..???? and this collection of SC ques of gmat prep...
go4cat12 Says
can you please send me the soft copies of 1000 SC and 1000 CR documents..???? and this collection of SC ques of gmat prep...

I found all the 3 versions of gmat prep software here :
GMAT Prep & Power Prep Official Free GMAT Tests : GMAT

Pm me ur mail id. I will send those docs.