750 : How I Made It.

Finally, I’m done with the GMAT. I’ve always dreamt of writing debrief (after reading some by some of the great gmat gurus - twinnsplitter, ursula, erin etc. ) and I’m happy that finally today I got a chance to write one. Quant : Resourc…

Finally, I'm done with the GMAT. I've always dreamt of writing debrief (after reading some by some of the great gmat gurus - twinnsplitter, ursula, erin etc. ) and I'm happy that finally today I got a chance to write one.

Quant :

Resources I used for Quant :

1. OG 10, OG 11 and OG 12 (all PSs and DSs)
2. Some more problems on probability and statistics. (downloaded from esnips and various other forums including PG, BTG, GMATClub, urch etc.)
that's it.

Verbal :

Practice, more practice, memorizing the rules and applying those in proper places are main keys for getting a good score on Verbal. Once in some forum (probably BTG) I read one debrief in which the test-taker mentioned that with more and more practice you attain some kind of higher level of precision - you just scan the problem statement, scan the answer choices provided and get the right answer selected - all in a fraction of a minute; your precision attains such a high level that you don't really bother about each of the rules separately, just as while spelling out a word, we don't concentrate on each of the letters separately. Such a level of precision can indeed be achieved, all you need to do is practice.

RC :
1. OG 12 ( not all, completed 90 % of all the passages)
2. 1000 RC (did 10-15 passages)
used stopwatch to record the time spent on reading passages and would try to improve the timing the next time I'd get a passage. Vertical reading strategy helped me a lot in this regard. (note : before applying vertical reading strategy on a passage I'd make sure that the passage wasn't too tough, because I feel that use of this strategy on a highly complex passage is a bit difficult and needs extensive practice).

CR :
1. Powerscore CR Bible ( very good book to build your basics )
2. OG 10, OG 11 and OG 12 (all).
3. 1000 CRs (solved around 200 problems).

SC :
1. Manhattan SC Guide (a must-have resource to build your basics )
1. OG 10, OG 11 and OG 12 (two revisions on OG 12)
2. 1000 SCs ( 1-300 and 700-900). It's not that I followed a pattern here, just couldn't get enough time to solve them all.
3. Kaplan 800 Verbal (Sentence Corrections Part).

Mock tests :

1. GMATPrep 1 - 720 (Q 50 V 37)
2. MGMAT 1 - 680 (Q 44 V 38 )
3. MGMAT 2 - 680 (Q 47 V 36)
4. MGMAT 3 - 710 (Q 46 V 41)
5. MGMAT 4 - 680 (Q 48 V 35)
6. MGMAT 5 - 730 (Q 49 V 41)
7. MGMAT 6 - 640 (Q 42 V 35) *** faced glitches in between
8. GMATPrep 2 - 730 (Q 50 V 40)

Finally, I took the plunge today and scored an overall 750 ( Q 49 V 44).

I hope my debrief was not too 'de-longed'. :oops:
Thanks to all the puys for your consistent support.
Feel free to reach out to me for any queries you may have, I'll try my best to assist you guys. :)
And to all the puys who're all going to appear in the test soon, ALL THE BEST :cheerio:

Finally, I'm done with the GMAT. I've always dreamt of writing debrief (after reading some by some of the great gmat gurus - twinnsplitter, ursula, erin etc. ) and I'm happy that finally today I got a chance to write one.

Quant :

Resources I used for Quant :

1. OG 10, OG 11 and OG 12 (all PSs and DSs)
2. Some more problems on probability and statistics. (downloaded from esnips and various other forums including PG, BTG, GMATClub, urch etc.)
that's it.

Verbal :

Practice, more practice, memorizing the rules and applying those in proper places are main keys for getting a good score on Verbal. Once in some forum (probably BTG) I read one debrief in which the test-taker mentioned that with more and more practice you attain some kind of higher level of precision - you just scan the problem statement, scan the answer choices provided and get the right answer selected - all in a fraction of a minute; your precision attains such a high level that you don't really bother about each of the rules separately, just as while spelling out a word, we don't concentrate on each of the letters separately. Such a level of precision can indeed be achieved, all you need to do is practice.

RC :
1. OG 12 ( not all, completed 90 % of all the passages)
2. 1000 RC (did 10-15 passages)
used stopwatch to record the time spent on reading passages and would try to improve the timing the next time I'd get a passage. Vertical reading strategy helped me a lot in this regard. (note : before applying vertical reading strategy on a passage I'd make sure that the passage wasn't too tough, because I feel that use of this strategy on a highly complex passage is a bit difficult and needs extensive practice).

CR :
1. Powerscore CR Bible ( very good book to build your basics )
2. OG 10, OG 11 and OG 12 (all).
3. 1000 CRs (solved around 200 problems).

SC :
1. Manhattan SC Guide (a must-have resource to build your basics on SC)
1. OG 10, OG 11 and OG 12 (two revisions on OG 12)
2. 1000 SCs ( 1-300 and 700-900). It's not that I followed a pattern here, just couldn't get enough time to solve them all.
3. Kaplan 800 Verbal (Sentence Corrections Part).

Mock tests :

1. GMATPrep 1 - 720 (Q 50 V 37)
2. MGMAT 1 - 680 (Q 44 V 38 )
3. MGMAT 2 - 680 (Q 47 V 36)
4. MGMAT 3 - 710 (Q 46 V 41)
5. MGMAT 4 - 680 (Q 48 V 35)
6. MGMAT 5 - 730 (Q 49 V 41)
7. MGMAT 6 - 640 (Q 42 V 35) *** faced glitches in between
8. GMATPrep 2 - 730 (Q 50 V 40)

Finally, I took the plunge today and scored an overall 750 ( Q 49 V 44).

I hope my debrief was not too 'de-longed'. :oops:
Thanks to all the puys for your consistent support.
Feel free to reach out to me for any queries you may have, I'll try my best to assist you guys. :)
And to all the puys who're all going to appear in the test soon, ALL THE BEST :cheerio:

Hi

I wanted to ask you if you did any kaplan mock GMAT's ? How are they in general ie similar to actual tests,easier,harder ?
Hi

I wanted to ask you if you did any kaplan mock GMAT's ? How are they in general ie similar to actual tests,easier,harder ?

man I didn't take any Kaplan mock test, so can't really comment on that. All I can say is whatever I have heard and experienced in the process of my preparation, GMATPrep is the closest replica of real-time GMAT (especially the Quant part).

Hi somFordo,

I am aware of the GMAT prep tests but where/how to take MGAMAT test?

Thanks,
Sanjeev.

Hi somFordo,

I am aware of the GMAT prep tests but where/how to take MGAMAT test?

Thanks,
Sanjeev.

MGMAT exam set (Manhattan GMAT Computer Adaptive Practice Exams) can be bought from manhattangmat website.
somFrodo Says
MGMAT exam set (Manhattan GMAT Computer Adaptive Practice Exams) can be bought from manhattangmat website.

Hi.... congrats on your phenomenal score......

Cud u send me a link( may be as a private message) for the books on probability and stats that u took from esnips.

Also, it it necessary that if ur sailing well thru quant section( in the actual paper) u ought to get last 3-4 questions with rising difficulty from probability.... did u experience the same.

good luck for apping...........

Congrats! :D

What schools are you aiming for?

Cud u send me a link( may be as a private message) for the books on probability and stats that u took from esnips.

Also, it it necessary that if ur sailing well thru quant section( in the actual paper) u ought to get last 3-4 questions with rising difficulty from probability.... did u experience the same.

**i'm attaching the file here (don't remember from where i downloaded it, but thanks to the original uploader)**

http://www.onestopgre.com/gre-preparation/quantitative-test/Probability-Practice_-_Good_ones.pdfSometimes you don't get enough time to determine whether the question appearing is easier or a harder one
But personally i'm not very satisfied with my quant performance.

What schools are you aiming for?

ISB, IIMC PGPEX and NUS are on my list. Will be apping to some more but yet to decide on 'em.
somFrodo Says
i'm attaching the file here

Dude, there seems to be something wrong with the file you have uploaded. Can't download it

Hi
Congrats Man ....
I will be giving GMAT in july first week. Please guide me in terms of Verbal. I am not able to score more than 30. Currently doing OG 12. Is OG 11 or 10 req. ?

mukultcs Says
Dude, there seems to be something wrong with the file you have uploaded. Can't download it

man indeed there seems to be a problem with the file. however try to download from here

http://www.onestopgre.com/gre-preparation/quantitative-test/Probability-Practice_-_Good_ones.pdf

Hi som,

Can you pls tell me how are the tests of 800Score.com compared to the actual GMAT. I have some 4-5 tests along with Kaplan,GMATprep and PowerPrep. DO i need to get MGMAT after all these tests or is it fine.
Pls suggest

Hi there,

I am planning to retake my GMAT in a couple of months. I have a score of 700(Q50,V34) from my last attempt in Sep 2008 and I wish to improvise on this score. The main challenge in front of me is to improve on my VA section. Last time around 34 was the least I scored in any of my Mock Gmats, but in the main test I dont know how or why I screwed up to get such a score. This time, I am trying to target a 40+ in VA section.

Any pointers in the direction will be helpful.

Thanks
Ankit

first of all, great AWA score ! (i'm yet to get mine 😞 )
if your basics are all good, i'll suggest that you start solving as many SCs and CRs as you can (make a group of 10, maybe, set a time of say 15 minutes and start solving. In the end note down how many were correct, and make a detailed analysis. I'm sure it'll boost your confidence in verbal.

Hi
Congrats Man ....
I will be giving GMAT in july first week. Please guide me in terms of Verbal. I am not able to score more than 30. Currently doing OG 12. Is OG 11 or 10 req. ?

Yes I'll suggest that you solve all these 3 OGs.

Hi som,

Can you pls tell me how are the tests of 800Score.com compared to the actual GMAT. I have some 4-5 tests along with Kaplan,GMATprep and PowerPrep. DO i need to get MGMAT after all these tests or is it fine.
Pls suggest

Again no idea about 800Score.com tests. I'm not here for promoting any brand, but yeah MGMAT tests helped me a lot in improving verbal.

Could you please share your " vertical reading strategy " ?

About quanta, which books other than OG you suggest?

Congrats somFrodo!!

Hi dude
congrats for ur score :)
I ll be giving gmat on aug 20
today oly i heard that ISB advanced the deadline dates to aug 30
after the exam if i apply for isb will I be considered for round 1 since the scores ll reach oly after 15 days
or will they be sending my score minus awa score to the institute so that i ll be considered

Sundar,

They will not forward that to ISB/any other school till AWA score is available and that means you may miss R1 deadline. Generally it takes 10-14 days when you take GMAT and when the scores are sent to your schools.

Regards,
Ahirjoy

Sundar,

They will not forward that to ISB/any other school till AWA score is available and that means you may miss R1 deadline. Generally it takes 10-14 days when you take GMAT and when the scores are sent to your schools.

Regards,
Ahirjoy

Thanks for the reply man
but this is wat i saw in isb website

GMAT DATE: The application system will not allow you to submit the application without entering your GMAT score. You will have to take the GMAT before the application deadline so that you can enter the Verbal and Quantitative scores as part of your application. We regret that we will not be in a position to grant an extension for submission of the GMAT Score Report. GMAT SCORE REPORT: Please ensure that you have requested Pearson to send the Official GMAT Score to the ISB before submitting your application. The GMAT Code for the school is N2D-J5-01. We regret we will not be in a position to short-list you, if Pearson does not report your official score to the ISB within two weeks from the application deadline. Pearson usually takes about 2 weeks time to report the official score from the date you place your request.
It is mandatory for you to upload a pdf scan of your GMAT Test Centre/Official/Unofficial Score report as a part of the application.

doesn't it mean sep 14 is the last date for gmat score report which pearson will send them if we apply after the exam???