730 in GMAT...should I apply to US next yr or take up admission in an Indian School

Hi Friends, I need ur advice to make some imp career descisions. My profile : GMAT: 730 Work Exp: 2+ years Intial 7 months in a small firm Rest in Deloitte Consulting. I am currently working on Siebel. I had a…

Hi Friends,

I need ur advice to make some imp career descisions.

My profile :

GMAT: 730

Work Exp: 2+ years

Intial 7 months in a small firm

Rest in Deloitte Consulting. I am currently working on Siebel.

I had appeared for cat last year and got a measly 92 percentile...also had an NMIMS admit last year, but left it as I believed That I could make it to the IIM's.

I guess I was wrong. Got a 96.83 percentile..no calls.

I have admits with SIBM, Great Lakes Institute of Mgmnt,Nirma, kJ somaiya.I still belive that i can make it better places but I am sick and tired of the IT indutry and wanna get out.

I am thinking abt joining SIBM in JUNE...yet applying to the US Bschools in SEP-OCT ie.. the early deadlines. If I get an admit from a good US school, I will leave SIBM and join it.

If not, My MBA will be still done.

I know its not one of the best solutions and that it would make more sense to continue with my job and apply to US nxt yr.

But , in case I dont get an admit nxt yr, I will be Shattered....and I wannna get out of IT.

Plz give me ur suggestions regarding my Descision

Regards,
Dipti

I guess I was wrong. Got a 96.83 percentile..no calls.

Hey Dipti, I dont think u are too far off from the IIMs. I dont understand why u are so dejected. Next year, u might as well get a 99 & make it to the IIMs.

I still belive that i can make it better places but I am sick and tired of the IT indutry and wanna get out.

Life doesnt always give u simple choices. Yeah, sure u can jump off right now and never figure out how it might have been if u had stayed on & worked hard for something better! :)

I am thinking abt joining SIBM in JUNE...yet applying to the US Bschools in SEP-OCT ie.. the early deadlines. If I get an admit from a good US school, I will leave SIBM and join it.

U sure have loads of money to throw away. Aint u?? 😃 So, which 'good' schools in the US are u looking at!! I am sure u have done enough research on that.. so let us know...And 730 is an amazing score, no doubts!

I know its not one of the best solutions and that it would make more sense to continue with my job and apply to US nxt yr.
But , in case I dont get an admit nxt yr, I will be Shattered....and I wannna get out of IT.

Looks like u know what u need.. so why are u fretting so much!!! Why would u not get an admit if u work smart enough!!! :)

Cheers!

Look for a non IT job instead... so u can write in your app hey i am serious about marketing, sales whatever it is u r interested. Getting a 730, being a girl going to SIBM is a waste of ur time... ie if u can afford the us mba...

Both the 730 and being a girl thing is a super positive on ur bschool app...
app to kellogg, ISB, IIMs next year u might make it...

just my thoughts, its ur decision...

best of luck,
K
Hi Friends,
I need ur advice to make some imp career descisions.
My profile :
I dont get an admit nxt yr, I will be Shattered....and I wannna get out of IT.
Regards,
Dipti

Hey my suggestion is

Keep working in Siebel for a while(am also working in same right now )

Prepare for CAT
if you waanaa go for some US school my suggestion is wait for two years
You won't get an admit in a good school in US with 2 or even three years unless you have explosive acads and you have an interest in marketing(am assuming you have been working in some sale/marketing module)

Do one thing
Get a copy of Business world guide for B schools...will cost you around 250 but worth it
you'll get all info on bschools like avg work ex
acads reqd
international student placement(really imp i suppose)
male female ratio(it matters let me assure you)
% acceptance rate for past yrs
the fee and expenses(in case it matters to you) and aid etc

i am giving this suggestion as i am also working in siebel and was in the same dilemna as you till the time XL hit me

to end it lemme say try to go for the top ten in india or the top 30 in the us

PM in case you need further info

Cheers
Subeg

just dnt get it, madam..
left NMIMS last year..
settling for SIBM this year..
that too when u gt an excellent GMAT score..
a waste..

ADVICE :-- just hang on, miss..

I would kill for 730. You should be celebrating.

Anyways I have been admitted to Smeal College of business(Penn State University). Smeal is 37th ranked. So not that good. But I ve got full scholarship and Graduate Assistantship hence taken it.

My profile:-
B.M.S. M.Com
GMAT - 680.
GPA - 3.6
2 yrs Work Experience
Lots of Extracirriculars.

(I guess what also worked for me are the essays(got a proffesional to write them)

For you - You can aim from rank 10 - rank 25.
If you can wait for 2 more yrs. you can aim for top 10.

DONT settle for SIBM. You'll be wasting such a wonderfull Gmat score. It is valid till 5 yrs boss.... Have patients !!!!

Or if you dont wanna wait - apply to US - you might get a scholarship in the top 25. And top 25 in US is better than SIBM.

Hastin.

Hey1,,,Smeal is a very nice school mate,,,very reputed n awesome brand,,,,,
anyways, can u gimme some mor einfo...how did u manage Smeal with 2 years of exp....
i'm in the same boat,,,,i'm planning to app for 2006,,,,,,but i'll only have 2 years of exp till then,,,i graduated in 2004 from BITS Pilani,,,,,,

Hey Hastin

Need some info on the "professional" who helped u write these essays.
I am yet to take my GMAT. its scheduled in July .
I have about 2 yrs of work exp.
Extracirriculars are not lots but yes, they are not too few either.

Lemme know if i can get some information on the essay writting fellow.

Cheers
Dee
:infinity:

Anyways I have been admitted to Smeal College of business(Penn State University). Smeal is 37th ranked. So not that good. But I ve got full scholarship and Graduate Assistantship hence taken it.

B.M.S. M.Com
GMAT - 680.
GPA - 3.6
2 yrs Work Experience

(I guess what also worked for me are the essays(got a proffesional to write them)

DONT settle for SIBM. You'll be wasting such a wonderfull Gmat score. It is valid till 5 yrs boss.... Have patients !!!!

Or if you dont wanna wait - apply to US - you might get a scholarship in the top 25. And top 25 in US is better than SIBM.

Hastin.

Hi Hastin

thanx for the advice!!!

Have decided to apply to the US...I know i am very late for this fall.

Will try applying for next spring( a few univs offer mba in spring ) and next fall.

Have lots of extra currics myself....will need ur help for my essays and other guidance

thanx
Dipti

B.M.S. M.Com
GMAT - 680.
GPA - 3.6
2 yrs Work Experience

Hastin.

Hi Bhagat,

Thanx for ur advice...Have decided to apply to the US schools whenever earliest possible

So did u finall take up XLRI???

Do reply

Dipti

Hey my suggestion is

Keep working in Siebel for a while(am also working in same right now )

Prepare for CAT
if you waanaa go for some US school my suggestion is wait for two years
You won't get an admit in a good school in US with 2 or even three years unless you have explosive acads and you have an interest in marketing(am assuming you have been working in some sale/marketing module)

Do one thing
Get a copy of Business world guide for B schools...will cost you around 250 but worth it
you'll get all info on bschools like avg work ex
acads reqd
international student placement(really imp i suppose)
male female ratio(it matters let me assure you)
% acceptance rate for past yrs
the fee and expenses(in case it matters to you) and aid etc

i am giving this suggestion as i am also working in siebel and was in the same dilemna as you till the time XL hit me

to end it lemme say try to go for the top ten in india or the top 30 in the us

PM in case you need further info

Cheers
Subeg

can anybody give the datails of the professional who helped u in writing the essays