730 after 4 weeks of prep. Few Counterintuitive tips from my experiance

Hi Puys My advise might sound opposite to most threads but you can read it and can get an alternate point of view Guys although the Quant section is important the key to score above 700 is verbal. Simple logic is that there are Lots of …

Hi Puys

My advise might sound opposite to most threads but you can read it and can get an alternate point of view

Guys although the Quant section is important the key to score above 700 is verbal. Simple logic is that there are Lots of guys who regularly score above 49 in quant (17%) but very few who score above 41 in Verbal (7%) (these were my scores). I have seen a couple of people who have 50 or 51 in Quant but 30's in Verbal which result in a score below 700.

Take the exam even if you are not feeling totally prepared. The reason that there is not too much breath in the GMAT syllabus. The skill lies in understanding the question. If you do every question in the OG, the o0fficial verbal and quant supplements (whatever they are called ), the 8 Manhattan guides, two GMAT prep test and one Manhattan free test you are good to go.

Don't take too many exams, three are enough, save precious time, take these three exams three, two and one week prior to the Test

Remember to redo the questions you didn't get right in the OG and the supplements. Better to do this exercise in the 2nd last week. pay special attention to the questions towards the end

*For Verbal - Read explanation for all the choices carefully, It is very easy and tempting to overlook the explanations of wrong answer choices when you have chosen the right answer, But the key lies in WHY the wrong answer choices are wrong.

IR is here to stay, this year many colleges are not considering IR but 2 - 3 years from now IR will become an important factor in choosing between two very similar profiles. It is awesome, it is a good predictor potential and surely it will not languish like AWA. Doing the IR in the prep software and on the GMAC websites is enough. Also remember IR is VERY long and you will need to maintain the speed all the way

The 75 Minutes tests are like T20 cricket. You are doing awesome and suddenly you spend 4 minutes each on two questions, even if you get those questions right, it will put you under a lot of pressure. The key is to move on after you know that you don't know the answer to the question asked. You will not learn a new concept by spending extra time on a question during the exam

And by the way you got only 74 Minutes because in the final minute your thought process is totally blocked, you are just thinking about not to leave the question unanswered

Been going through a lot of posts about GMAT experiences and must say this is a different although a VERY important point of view. Am about to start GMAT prep myself - will definitely keep what you said in mind.

Just wanted to know if the OG is enough for preparing for IR ?
Yes

You could have used some already open GMAT Thread to share this IMO :roll:

Hi Charuj. I took my GMAT couple of weeks back and got the same score. 730 (Q49 V41) yay.. hi5! :)

I agree with you. I consistently scored 49 in Quants and I did not bother to improve it to 50. Instead I spent that time improving my Verbal score. CR Bible did the trick.. It gave a better understanding of the 'wrong' answer types.

My trick was to skip questions that come from my weak areas (lengthy word problems from combinatorics and probability). In Verbal, I invariably guessed the fourth RC and moved on. It saved me some time and I used that to answer CR n SC questions.. bcos I know I would get them right.

74 Minutes! lol.! very true 😁 .. I go blank. I just keep staring at the countdown.

Can you please pm me your target schools, your application profile, etc? I need help man. Confused :-/

Hi Rama

I am planning to apply for some masters or doctoral programs in the Europe for a couple of reasons

Long term goal is to become a professor in a good university and to do some meaningful research.
don't wanna go to the US, wanna live a relaxed life in the Europe.

@Estallar12
Hi Estallar, will keep that in mind for future threads.
@Estallar12 said:
You could have used some already open GMAT Thread to share this IMO
@visionIIM-ACL :splat: