710 q48 v40

So I gave my GMAT today. Not ecstatic about my score but not disappointed either. Wanted a 700+ score at all costs and got it. 94 percentile isn’t bad I guess. Hopefully enough to get into ISB. Anyway, first of all, a big thank you to everyon…

So I gave my GMAT today. Not ecstatic about my score but not disappointed either. Wanted a 700+ score at all costs and got it. 94 percentile isn't bad I guess. Hopefully enough to get into ISB.

Anyway, first of all, a big thank you to everyone on this forum. I started to follow threads on this forum about 1 and a half months ago. And suffice to say, if I hadn't, I would have been royally screwed! Here is why:

During the initial days of my preparation, I studied from only one book: Kaplan. I had no idea that there was an OG! When I came on here and say the acronym OG plastered all over, I was like: "yeh OG OG kya hai, yeh OG OG?"

Googled it and bought the 12th edition of the OG. A MUST for every GMAT
aspirant. You simply cannot do without it.

So I finished Kaplan and then started to devour the OG. Since I'm working, my strategy entailed working 1-2 hrs everyday after work and about 5-6 over weekends. You all remember when you used to read about some geeky topper's pretty cliched quote in "Competition Success Review" about how he/she studied regularly for 3-4 hours instead of putting in 23 hours everyday at the 11th hour? Well, that is the key. Regular practice. LOL, I sound as if I got 800 but believe me, 1-2 hours everyday will make a big difference.

Kaplan is a must for SC and CR. Some very good examples and techniques mentioned in that book. Of course, OG is good overall because of it's exhaustive nature but the nuances of tacking these two subjects that are mentioned in Kaplan is what makes it compulsory.

So like I was saying, I completed Kaplan and then completed the OG. Gave the Kaplan Paper Sample Test and got a 730. Gave the OG sample test and got a 710. Felt pretty confident up until I gave the Kaplan Tests from the CD. **** me they were horrific! The RCs are like some PhD thesis! They are THAT long! Don't let it psych you out though. The real RCs are nowhere as long. I would recommend everyone to take atleast a couple of the sample Kaplan tests just for the CRs and the SCs. They are extremely helpful. Quants is ok. When I got about 550 in my first Kaplan test, I passed out and when I awoke 3 days later, I panicked and nearly postponed my test! Gave another Kaplan Test and got about 620. Much better performance but nowhere close to what I wanted on the actual test.

Then I visited these forums and realised that Kaplan tests were known to be absolute killers and that you shouldn't let them put you off. Finally, I gave the two GPrep tests and got 710 and 750. The level of the GPrep tests are pretty much what you can expect on the actual GMAT.

By the way, I didn't write a single AWA essay during my prep. Just read a few sample essays and felt that I could cope when it came to writing it on actual test day. Got the usual stuff, nothing too horrific. Quant was ok and I feel that I could have done a lot better. Verbal was as expected. So neither overly happy nor dejected. I'm satisfied. 93 percentile can't be bad.

PS - During my preparation, I noted down some key SC idioms as well as some key mathematical formulae. If anyone is interested, I can scan these and put them up.

hey congo man! for such a good score!
can you please share ur notes of SC and maths?
I am thinking of writing GMAT at the end of the month.!

Congrats! Its a great score!! Even I am interested in your notes..
Can you share your them?

Congrats mate :thumbsup:

ATB with Apping.

srt_fan Says
So I gave.............. Hopefully enough...............

"Hopefully is always wrong in GMAT."

Jokes aside. Good score :). ISB looks at overall profile. The mean and median GMAT score at ISB is around 710. So it definitely is not less. Congrats and All the best to you. Lots of work still to be done.

My G-day is day after tomorrow on 2nd August. Wish me luck.

Congratulations!!
It's a relief to be done with the GMAT, isn't it? :)
Happy Apping!!

Hey @srt_fan

Congratulations for the score!!!!

Wish you all the best for the application process!!!! :thumbsup:

Cheers!!!
Siddharth

Hey srt_fan.

Congrats man...

ATB for the apping

Cheers,
Deep

"Hopefully is always wrong in GMAT."

Jokes aside. Good score :). ISB looks at overall profile. The mean and median GMAT score at ISB is around 710. So it definitely is not less. Congrats and All the best to you. Lots of work still to be done.

My G-day is day after tomorrow on 2nd August. Wish me luck.

LOL. I know. It is hoped is preferred to hopefully. Best of luck for the 2nd!

Thank you to everyone else.
hey congo man! for such a good score!
can you please share ur notes of SC and maths?
I am thinking of writing GMAT at the end of the month.!

I'll scan and upload my notes tomorrow.
Congratulations!!
It's a relief to be done with the GMAT, isn't it? :)
Happy Apping!!

Tell me about it. It's good to get the GMAT out of the way so that one can concentrate on the applications. BTW well done to you CC for your phenomenal score!

Congrats buddy for achieving this score!

I need your help. Let me explain u my situation. My GMAT date is 25th Aug. Am very comfortable with CR and RC but SC is driving me crazy. i have completed Manhattan SC but still am not able to score in this section. Quant hasn't bothered me much. Yo have mentioned about Kaplan book..

srt_fan Says
Kaplan is a must for SC and CR. Some very good examples and techniques mentioned in that book.

Which book u are referring to? Is it available as a soft copy? Can u tell the exact name? also how different is OG12 from OG11?

need ur prompt response on this.
Thanks!!
Congrats buddy for achieving this score!

I need your help. Let me explain u my situation. My GMAT date is 25th Aug. Am very comfortable with CR and RC but SC is driving me crazy. i have completed Manhattan SC but still am not able to score in this section. Quant hasn't bothered me much. Yo have mentioned about Kaplan book..

Which book u are referring to? Is it available as a soft copy? Can u tell the exact name? also how different is OG12 from OG11?

need ur prompt response on this.
Thanks!!

Don't sweat over SCs. On the actual GMAT, they are not as tough as they are in the OG and other books. But obviously, practice is the key. You also have to be extremely sharp because sometimes the difference between the right answer and the almost right answer is very subtle.

The Kaplan book I was talking about is this one:

Amazon.com: Kaplan GMAT, 2007 Edition: Premier Program (Kaplan Gmat (Book & CD-Rom)): Books: Kaplan

If you are in India, you should be able to get it easily.

Never used OG 11 so wouldn't know how different OG 12 is from OG 11.

Hi

Congratulations. Great score.

I have taken the GMAT date on 26th Sep.

Before starting the preparation I had taken PP1 and scored 640. I have been preparing since past 2 months.
But my verbal has not improved much. My speed is less. I had taken Kaplan CD test and was not able to finish the test(both the sections). Got a very low score of 530.

In my PP test speed was not a problem infact I had finished earlier.

Also with low speed the accuracy is not very high either. I am taking almost 15 mins for each RC (8-9 Q) . I am not getting what to do in next 1.5 months to improve verbal.

My SC and CR ase also not very great.

I have finished OG11, Kaplan Review and Kaplan 800. I am currently doing socretop material - 1000SC, 1000RC, 1000CR

Please comment.

Regards
Ingrid

Hi

Congratulations. Great score.

I have taken the GMAT date on 26th Sep.

Before starting the preparation I had taken PP1 and scored 640. I have been preparing since past 2 months.
But my verbal has not improved much. My speed is less. I had taken Kaplan CD test and was not able to finish the test(both the sections). Got a very low score of 530.

In my PP test speed was not a problem infact I had finished earlier.

Also with low speed the accuracy is not very high either. I am taking almost 15 mins for each RC (8-9 Q) . I am not getting what to do in next 1.5 months to improve verbal.

My SC and CR ase also not very great.

I have finished OG11, Kaplan Review and Kaplan 800. I am currently doing socretop material - 1000SC, 1000RC, 1000CR

Please comment.

Regards
Ingrid

Hi Ingrid, I would recommend that for RCs, you use the Kaplan Roadmap technique. While going through RC passages, I used to read superficially, as in, read quickly and skim through the passage in quick time to get the gist of each paragraph and the passage as a whole.

CR, like someone else said, is something that you either know or you don't. This is the only section in my opinion where practice doesn't significantly improve your chances. My technique was to paraphrase the blurb in my words and also try and guess what the answer could be before looking at the question. And of course, read the question stem before you read the text.

Any questions, just ask!

So I gave my GMAT today. Not ecstatic about my score but not disappointed either. Wanted a 700+ score at all costs and got it. 94 percentile isn't bad I guess. Hopefully enough to get into ISB.

Anyway, first of all, a big thank you to everyone on this forum. I started to follow threads on this forum about 1 and a half months ago. And suffice to say, if I hadn't, I would have been royally screwed! Here is why:

During the initial days of my preparation, I studied from only one book: Kaplan. I had no idea that there was an OG! When I came on here and say the acronym OG plastered all over, I was like: "yeh OG OG kya hai, yeh OG OG?"

Googled it and bought the 12th edition of the OG. A MUST for every GMAT
aspirant. You simply cannot do without it.

So I finished Kaplan and then started to devour the OG. Since I'm working, my strategy entailed working 1-2 hrs everyday after work and about 5-6 over weekends. You all remember when you used to read about some geeky topper's pretty cliched quote in "Competition Success Review" about how he/she studied regularly for 3-4 hours instead of putting in 23 hours everyday at the 11th hour? Well, that is the key. Regular practice. LOL, I sound as if I got 800 but believe me, 1-2 hours everyday will make a big difference.

Kaplan is a must for SC and CR. Some very good examples and techniques mentioned in that book. Of course, OG is good overall because of it's exhaustive nature but the nuances of tacking these two subjects that are mentioned in Kaplan is what makes it compulsory.

So like I was saying, I completed Kaplan and then completed the OG. Gave the Kaplan Paper Sample Test and got a 730. Gave the OG sample test and got a 710. Felt pretty confident up until I gave the Kaplan Tests from the CD. **** me they were horrific! The RCs are like some PhD thesis! They are THAT long! Don't let it psych you out though. The real RCs are nowhere as long. I would recommend everyone to take atleast a couple of the sample Kaplan tests just for the CRs and the SCs. They are extremely helpful. Quants is ok. When I got about 550 in my first Kaplan test, I passed out and when I awoke 3 days later, I panicked and nearly postponed my test! Gave another Kaplan Test and got about 620. Much better performance but nowhere close to what I wanted on the actual test.

Then I visited these forums and realised that Kaplan tests were known to be absolute killers and that you shouldn't let them put you off. Finally, I gave the two GPrep tests and got 710 and 750. The level of the GPrep tests are pretty much what you can expect on the actual GMAT.

By the way, I didn't write a single AWA essay during my prep. Just read a few sample essays and felt that I could cope when it came to writing it on actual test day. Got the usual stuff, nothing too horrific. Quant was ok and I feel that I could have done a lot better. Verbal was as expected. So neither overly happy nor dejected. I'm satisfied. 93 percentile can't be bad.

PS - During my preparation, I noted down some key SC idioms as well as some key mathematical formulae. If anyone is interested, I can scan these and put them up.

Hi SRT,

I am planing to give my GMAT this year (a litlle undecided though).
Can you pls scan the CS idioms and mathematical formulae and post on the site.
If possible kindly mail me these docs at [email protected].
The OG Tests and Kaplan papaer tests that you spoke about are same ones that are there in the PG and Kaplan guide, right???
Also, do U have a link to download KAPLAN TEST (the ones that are there in the CD).
Just curious, are you located in Delhi.

Regards.
Hi SRT,

I am planing to give my GMAT this year (a litlle undecided though).
Can you pls mathematical formulae and post on the site.
If possible kindly mail me these docs at [email protected].
The OG Tests and Kaplan papaer tests that you spoke about are same ones that are there in the PG and Kaplan guide, right???
Also, do U have a link to download KAPLAN TEST (the ones that are there in the CD).
Just curious, are you located in Delhi?

Regards.

I was thinking of taking GMAT training from ********, any guesses if it'll really help me?
lokeshvaswa Says
I was thinking of taking GMAT training from ********, any guesses if it'll really help me?

Hi Lokesh. No idea about ********. I studied on my own and did not enrol in any professional coaching institute. I am from Delhi but not in Delhi at the moment. I have uploaded my notes.