710-my complete experience

Just gave my GMAT yesterday and got a 710, not as good as it seems because the split’s Q-44 (69th%ile) n V44(97th%ile). I guess a uniform split would have been better, nevertheless I am very happy with my score. I don’t know whether my experience …

Just gave my GMAT yesterday and got a 710, not as good as it seems because the split's Q-44 (69th%ile) n V44(97th%ile). I guess a uniform split would have been better, nevertheless I am very happy with my score. I don't know whether my experience would be relevant to any of you but since I had used this forum to read the experiences of others and gained valuable insight regarding the exam, I will contribute my bit.

Profile:
MBBS doctor
3 years clinical experience
2 years family business
IELTS score: 8.5

Background: Being a medical doctor by profession, the last time I have unitized my quantitative skills prior to my GMAT training was about 11 years ago; the calculator function of my mobile phone has been a great friend. English is not my native language, but I would say I am adequately proficient in it.

Period of study: I decided to pursue management studies 2 and half months ago and immediately purchased the OG 12 ed, which I believe is the ultimate resource for GMAT. I spent the first month, studying quants basics and completed the verbal sample questions in OG. In the second month, gave a couple of tests n tried to solve the quants questions.

Resources: QG 12 ed, OG quants review, Kaplan n Kaplan 800

GMAT prep tests: I gave the Princeton tests, the 800s, Kaplan, GMATprep (obviously) and Manhattan (half way through the quants section, I got so depressed with my performance that I quit the test and went off to sleep). I have provided below my scores in the last exam of each group of tests (except that of GMATprept test 1) as I had given these just prior to the actual exam and maybe an actual indicator of my performance rather than the ones I had given at an earlir point in my preparation

Name of test...............Verbal........Quants
1......GMAT Prep test1..........40.............38............640.........1 moth prior to exam
2......800 test.....................41.............41............690.........5 days prior to the exam
3......Princeton test.............41.............36............630........ 4 days prior
4......Kaplan test.................36.............36............600.........3 days prior
5......Manhattan...........................Abandoned......................2 days prior
7......GMAT prep 1 (repeat)...41.............40............680.........day before the exam.

Actual GMAT ........... 44............ 44........... 710

GMAT experience: On the day before the exam, I revised the last questions in the quants section of the OG and gave the final GMATprep test by mid-afternoon. The score really elated me. Spent rest of the day, Watching a movie on TV and went to Church in the evening to pray for appropriate divine intervention. Later, I ran through the rules of SC and went off to sleep early.

On the day of the exam, woke up in the morning and solved 2 questions in PS and DS each to prepare my mind for the quants onslaught lying in wait. I reached the centre one hour early.

The Pearson staff was professional. I had no problems completing the various formalities. The scratch-pad and Staedtler pen were easy to use even though I had no previous experience using the same. The keyboard was a generic model, no problems there.

The AWA section was ok, though I think I may have screwed up the issue a bit. I don't have the scores yet. Took a break. A couple of minutes away from the testing room, really relieves stress.

The quants section was not as bad as I thought, managed to get some of 'em right. The questions were at the level of the GMAT prep tests. Took a break again and was relieved that the worst was over.

The verbal began with an SC that I could not decipher, but overall it went well. I got the bold-faced portion question half way through and I was truly elated. And then, it was done.

Ran through the irritating questionnaire, got to the score section and waited for that damned hour-glass symbol to disappear. The hundreds digit of the overall score was >6 and N now I am sitting with here with a hangover and a mild and unexpected sense of loss for the entire experience.

I can offer some advice from my limited experience:

I spent a large part of the 17 days prior to the exam on various prep tests. I think I could have improved my score in quants by studying techniques and revising basics. So unless you are going to really study the questions you have erred in and related basics, don't waste too much time on tests.

Give a GMATprep test on the day before the test. It is so similar to the real one that it really reduces anxiety on test day.

Finally, the GMAT is not an IQ test, it is not a reflection of your capabilities. It is determined by factors such as period of study, resources used, final test day experience, LUCK and many other factors, so if you score less in the real test do not fret too much. You can always improve.

I apologize for this long-winded narration. But if you did read through the epic, I will follow it up with RC questions in my next post =) All the best!!!

Congratulations! Your score is really impressive and I wish you all the luck.

Congratulations. Wish you all the very best for your applications.

Cheers !!
NiDo.

Just to update my full score. got the official score n 6 in AWA. Man!!! but the applying is so much tougher.

Congratulations !! Really impressive.

Just gave my GMAT yesterday and got a 710, not as good as it seems because the split's Q-44 (69th%ile) n V44(97th%ile). I guess a uniform split would have been better, nevertheless I am very happy with my score. I don't know whether my experience would be relevant to any of you but since I had used this forum to read the experiences of others and gained valuable insight regarding the exam, I will contribute my bit.

Profile:
MBBS doctor
3 years clinical experience
2 years family business
IELTS score: 8.5

Background: Being a medical doctor by profession, the last time I have unitized my quantitative skills prior to my GMAT training was about 11 years ago; the calculator function of my mobile phone has been a great friend. English is not my native language, but I would say I am adequately proficient in it.

Period of study: I decided to pursue management studies 2 and half months ago and immediately purchased the OG 12 ed, which I believe is the ultimate resource for GMAT. I spent the first month, studying quants basics and completed the verbal sample questions in OG. In the second month, gave a couple of tests n tried to solve the quants questions.

Resources: QG 12 ed, OG quants review, Kaplan n Kaplan 800

GMAT prep tests: I gave the Princeton tests, the 800s, Kaplan, GMATprep (obviously) and Manhattan (half way through the quants section, I got so depressed with my performance that I quit the test and went off to sleep). I have provided below my scores in the last exam of each group of tests (except that of GMATprept test 1) as I had given these just prior to the actual exam and maybe an actual indicator of my performance rather than the ones I had given at an earlir point in my preparation

Name of test...............Verbal........Quants
1......GMAT Prep test1..........40.............38............640.........1 moth prior to exam
2......800 test.....................41.............41............690.........5 days prior to the exam
3......Princeton test.............41.............36............630........ 4 days prior
4......Kaplan test.................36.............36............600.........3 days prior
5......Manhattan...........................Abandoned......................2 days prior
7......GMAT prep 1 (repeat)...41.............40............680.........day before the exam.

Actual GMAT ........... 44............ 44........... 710

GMAT experience: On the day before the exam, I revised the last questions in the quants section of the OG and gave the final GMATprep test by mid-afternoon. The score really elated me. Spent rest of the day, Watching a movie on TV and went to Church in the evening to pray for appropriate divine intervention. Later, I ran through the rules of SC and went off to sleep early.

On the day of the exam, woke up in the morning and solved 2 questions in PS and DS each to prepare my mind for the quants onslaught lying in wait. I reached the centre one hour early.

The Pearson staff was professional. I had no problems completing the various formalities. The scratch-pad and Staedtler pen were easy to use even though I had no previous experience using the same. The keyboard was a generic model, no problems there.

The AWA section was ok, though I think I may have screwed up the issue a bit. I don't have the scores yet. Took a break. A couple of minutes away from the testing room, really relieves stress.

The quants section was not as bad as I thought, managed to get some of 'em right. The questions were at the level of the GMAT prep tests. Took a break again and was relieved that the worst was over.

The verbal began with an SC that I could not decipher, but overall it went well. I got the bold-faced portion question half way through and I was truly elated. And then, it was done.

Ran through the irritating questionnaire, got to the score section and waited for that damned hour-glass symbol to disappear. The hundreds digit of the overall score was >6 and N now I am sitting with here with a hangover and a mild and unexpected sense of loss for the entire experience.

I can offer some advice from my limited experience:

I spent a large part of the 17 days prior to the exam on various prep tests. I think I could have improved my score in quants by studying techniques and revising basics. So unless you are going to really study the questions you have erred in and related basics, don't waste too much time on tests.

Give a GMATprep test on the day before the test. It is so similar to the real one that it really reduces anxiety on test day.

Finally, the GMAT is not an IQ test, it is not a reflection of your capabilities. It is determined by factors such as period of study, resources used, final test day experience, LUCK and many other factors, so if you score less in the real test do not fret too much. You can always improve.

I apologize for this long-winded narration. But if you did read through the epic, I will follow it up with RC questions in my next post =) All the best!!!

hello doc,
first of all congrats for ur score.
i want to ask u that i m a dentist practicing for 1 yr. does our practice experience count for mba? , and as i m practicing at my own , how can i get experience certificate ?
i'll be very greatful for ur reply thank u.
hello doc,
first of all congrats for ur score.
i want to ask u that i m a dentist practicing for 1 yr. does our practice experience count for mba? , and as i m practicing at my own , how can i get experience certificate ?
i'll be very greatful for ur reply thank u.

I should hope that the practice exp counts. Running your own practice definitely requires managerial and entrepreneurial skills. Just make it a point to portray these aspects in your SOP.

I guess by experience certificate, you mean LORs. The universities informed me that if one is running his own firm or is part of a family business, then he should not get LORs from employees or family members, rather he should get them from a neutral entity related to the business such as a legal advisor or a chartered accountant who is knowledgeable about the functioning of the company. In your case, maybe a senior consultant who is associated with your practice would do.

I find that the most reliable information comes from the universities themselves. Put forward your queries to the universities of your choices, what applies to one should apply to all.

Hi,

Congrats !!! Wish you all the best for your applications.

Though I am a IT professional, I am in a similar position as you were prior to starting your prep for gmat. I am 25% comfortable with maths and am positive that i can get very good by practice, but when i started reading the SC questions in OG, it was like Latin. The english that we usually speak and the common grammar mistakes are very easy to crack, but the GMAT SC requires you to be a pandit in english.

OG doesnt actually train you with the SC rules. Can you let me know how you approached your study for SC? Where did you start? How did you master the rules? What was the source?

Thanks for the help !!!

Hi Doc :)

Kudos to your score
all the best for applications! :)

My quant is similiar like yours (though i didn't take any break as you did from maths, i'm a stats grad)
well everything same as yours only one thing-english scores
i just gave a gmatprep test and scored 580 overall. qaunt-40 and verbal-30
my test in on 2nd feb. i know there is not much time left to increase verbal scores but can you still tell what should i do improve it?
my target score is between 650-700. not keeping any 'high' expectations cause i know if that doesn't happen on test day then i won't be able to take it and to apply to my targeted univeristy. my score should be less than 700.
and i know i have the potential to score more than i do so can you give your two cents?

attimes, i slip on cr ques. and off lately,sc is tricking me,i have always been fairly good in it. better than rest two but my accuracy rate is like 9/16! so i'm worried about it.
rc is actaully all depended on mood :|
i know how to "read" Gmat way and it has always worked. the rc passages where i get lost are science passages. they are a pain:banghead:

ple reply assp.thanks.
neha

Hey thanks for the Excellent narrative of your GMAT experience.
And Congrats on this great score.

Hi,

Congrats !!! Wish you all the best for your applications.

Though I am a IT professional, I am in a similar position as you were prior to starting your prep for gmat. I am 25% comfortable with maths and am positive that i can get very good by practice, but when i started reading the SC questions in OG, it was like Latin. The english that we usually speak and the common grammar mistakes are very easy to crack, but the GMAT SC requires you to be a pandit in english.

OG doesnt actually train you with the SC rules. Can you let me know how you approached your study for SC? Where did you start? How did you master the rules? What was the source?

Thanks for the help !!!

Once you have been through the SC rules, the rest is easy to decipher. The Manhattan guide on SC is an excellent source to start with in my opinion and should be used along with OG, and then Kaplan 800 would be a good source to follow. Hope this helps.
Hi Doc :)

Kudos to your score
all the best for applications! :)

My quant is similiar like yours (though i didn't take any break as you did from maths, i'm a stats grad)
well everything same as yours only one thing-english scores
i just gave a gmatprep test and scored 580 overall. qaunt-40 and verbal-30
my test in on 2nd feb. i know there is not much time left to increase verbal scores but can you still tell what should i do improve it?
my target score is between 650-700. not keeping any 'high' expectations cause i know if that doesn't happen on test day then i won't be able to take it and to apply to my targeted univeristy. my score should be less than 700.
and i know i have the potential to score more than i do so can you give your two cents?

attimes, i slip on cr ques. and off lately,sc is tricking me,i have always been fairly good in it. better than rest two but my accuracy rate is like 9/16! so i'm worried about it.
rc is actaully all depended on mood :|
i know how to "read" Gmat way and it has always worked. the rc passages where i get lost are science passages. they are a pain:banghead:

ple reply assp.thanks.
neha

All the best for your exam. I don't know whether I can really be helpful but I will give it my best shot.
During my practice tests, I used to score worse in verbal whenever my quants went bad so I think it is essential to start your verbal with a fresh mind and leave the quant experience behind. Secondly, I create a grid with all the options and mark out the obvious wrong choices and narrow it down to 2 or 3 choices. I guess you already do all this.
Check this link out, there are a some strategies listed which you may find useful:
GMAT Verbal Section Strategy Tips - How to score 40 plus in GMAT Verbal Tranquil Storm: GMAT, TOEFL, B School Applications => UCLA Anderson MBA
All the best for your exam. I don't know whether I can really be helpful but I will give it my best shot.
During my practice tests, I used to score worse in verbal whenever my quants went bad so I think it is essential to start your verbal with a fresh mind and leave the quant experience behind. Secondly, I create a grid with all the options and mark out the obvious wrong choices and narrow it down to 2 or 3 choices. I guess you already do all this.
Check this link out, there are a some strategies listed which you may find useful:
GMAT Verbal Section Strategy Tips How to score 40 plus in GMAT Verbal Tranquil Storm: GMAT, TOEFL, B School Applications => UCLA Anderson MBA

Thanks Doc.
yes i already use POE.
after crossing out 3 options. it's the fight between those 2 options where i get trapped :|

and ya you right, got to keep my nerves down aft 3 hours of grilling and sit for next 75 mins doing verbal.

Congrats loststranger and thanks for the walkthrough .
Is there any particular reason why everybody seems to start of their tests with quants ?

Congrats loststranger and thanks for the walkthrough .
Is there any particular reason why everybody seems to start of their tests with quants ?

Hi Indian_Noble,

Welcome to Gmat World.
Why everybody starts with quant can only be answered by GMAC cause it's the way the tests are designed.
Four Sections in Gmat and you can't change the order of testing. it's:
1) Analysis of Arguement
2) Analysis of Issue
3) Quant
4) Verbal

you have to give test in this order only.

Regards,
Neha