710 in GMAT - Need advice on way forward

Hi, I gave my GMAT today and scored 710 (48Q/38V). Although I was targetting around 740 mark but still I will take the score. My job don’t allow me to study much during the weekdays and I could only study in weekends. Here is my backgroun…

Hi,
I gave my GMAT today and scored 710 (48Q/38V). Although I was targetting around 740 mark but still I will take the score. My job don't allow me to study much during the weekdays and I could only study in weekends.

Here is my background info:

Class-Xth Standard - 93.6%
XIIth Standard - 83.2 %
Engineering Entrance Rank - 210.
Graduation - 81%

Extracurricular activities - Actively associated with an NGO and helped in developing its volunteer base in certain area.
Played cricket, football in College and Office teams.
Got 2nd Prize in All India Colour contest way back during my school days.

Work Exp:
1) Worked as a consultant for 2.5 yrs in one of the big 4 consulting firm. Handled projects both domestic and offshore.Worked in projects in Health Care, Insurance, Government Risk and Compliance, etc.
2) Working as a business analyst in an Investment management firm for the last 2+ yrs.

I am planning to apply to ISB and some other top schools like INSEAD, Stanford, Duke, GSB - Chicago, etc. Do I really stand much chance in getting into these schools. It will be great if someone can throw some light on my chances of getting into these schools. I am kind of apprehensive about my chances because my score is not in the range of 740+. I do understand the application part will be important but then how important is the score part. Will 710 affect my chance of getting into these schools.

Looking forward for some advice.

Thanks in advance !

Hi arnabray,

You certainly have some great accomplishments.

From my experiences, you may stand a chance if you apply to Chicago or Duke, but it will be hard. Stanford, Harvard, and UPenn may be a reach.

Unfortunately, the top 10 MBA programs are very competitive this year given the economic situation in the US. You really need to find a way to stand out among your peers; really try to highlight certain features.

A few years ago, you would probably stand a really good chance, but most admissions consultants would probably tell you that MBA programs are increasingly competitive.

I would look to either improve your GMAT score, get really good recommendation letters, and look to take leadership positions (even if it is at a nonprofit).

Best of luck,

-Anurag