700 in the GMAT - What next?

Hello all, I gave my GMAT yesterday, scored 700 Q49 V37 :frowning: I was expecting around 740 and think my verbals let me down very badly, I always scored over 40 in all Manhattan and Kaplan tests. I scored a 44 in verbal even day before on GMAT…

Hello all,

I gave my GMAT yesterday, scored 700 Q49 V37 :(

I was expecting around 740 and think my verbals let me down very badly, I always scored over 40 in all Manhattan and Kaplan tests. I scored a 44 in verbal even day before on GMAT Prep, something went very wrong in the real one. But anyways, I am not very sad with the score, just that I know it could have been better.

My prep - I prepped from OG 12, Manhattan SC and Kaplan Premier. Started 3 months ago. Did all the Quants from OG and All exercises in SC from Manhattan. Manhattan tests were amazing because of the reports and analysis. It helps you identify the weak areas and build on them.

Manhattan SC is a Must have to crack SC unless you are already an SC guru. 😉

The test-
The AWA section went very smooth, I planned well and got there in time. I am awaiting my scores, but I expect it to be above 5.

Quants started well and I was soon in top gear, until I reached around question 28 or thereabouts. I found a question for which I found none of the choices fit. I wasted hell a lot of time on it and finally found I had made a stupid multiplication error in the first step. :banghead:
Sorted that out and continued with the good run, but was a bit short on time towards the end, thanks to the time I wasted on that Qn. But I felt it was still good enough for a 49.

Took a break and went in thinking I could do a 750, because I am usually better at Verbal than Quants, despite being an Engg student.

In my opinion verbals went pretty well, except for the fact that on some questions I was not able to narrow the choices beyond two options. I think that is where I lost it. :(

Finished the test expecting a 730 and 700 was a bit of a blow, but I felt it was not too bad.

Now I am pondering my next move. I am an Indian IT Male with 1.5 years exp and would like to apply for the academic year of 2011.

I had Goizueta, Tepper, Nanyang on my list. Should I apply to these considering my not stellar score?

My profile:
Class X - CBSE 92%
Class XII - CBSE 89%
UG - Engg. in ECE Affiliated college of Anna Univ - 79%

1.5 yrs Work Ex in IT.

Extra Curriculars - Above Avg - not exceptional.

Can you please suggest what I can do next?

Peace!

Hello all,

I gave my GMAT yesterday, scored 700 Q49 V37 :(

I was expecting around 740 and think my verbals let me down very badly, I always scored over 40 in all Manhattan and Kaplan tests. I scored a 44 in verbal even day before on GMAT Prep, something went very wrong in the real one. But anyways, I am not very sad with the score, just that I know it could have been better.

My prep - I prepped from OG 12, Manhattan SC and Kaplan Premier. Started 3 months ago. Did all the Quants from OG and All exercises in SC from Manhattan. Manhattan tests were amazing because of the reports and analysis. It helps you identify the weak areas and build on them.

Manhattan SC is a Must have to crack SC unless you are already an SC guru. 😉

The test-
The AWA section went very smooth, I planned well and got there in time. I am awaiting my scores, but I expect it to be above 5.

Quants started well and I was soon in top gear, until I reached around question 28 or thereabouts. I found a question for which I found none of the choices fit. I wasted hell a lot of time on it and finally found I had made a stupid multiplication error in the first step. :banghead:
Sorted that out and continued with the good run, but was a bit short on time towards the end, thanks to the time I wasted on that Qn. But I felt it was still good enough for a 49.

Took a break and went in thinking I could do a 750, because I am usually better at Verbal than Quants, despite being an Engg student.

In my opinion verbals went pretty well, except for the fact that on some questions I was not able to narrow the choices beyond two options. I think that is where I lost it. :(

Finished the test expecting a 730 and 700 was a bit of a blow, but I felt it was not too bad.

Now I am pondering my next move. I am an Indian IT Male with 1.5 years exp and would like to apply for the academic year of 2011.

I had Goizueta, Tepper, Nanyang on my list. Should I apply to these considering my not stellar score?

My profile:
Class X - CBSE 92%
Class XII - CBSE 89%
UG - Engg. in ECE Affiliated college of Anna Univ - 79%

1.5 yrs Work Ex in IT.

Extra Curriculars - Above Avg - not exceptional.

Can you please suggest what I can do next?

Peace!

Hey ..u have a decent score and good acads..maybe u would want to put in another year of work ex before applying , although you would have a good enough chance of getting through Nanyang for the 2011 session . I too have similar expectations and have my Gmat in 20 days ..

I gave a gmat prep1 yesterday and scored a 700!! how would you rate this score considering i only have 20 days to improve on it ..any leads on ur gmat prep score during ur prep will be helpful..also SC is my nemesis , got 7 sc's wrong with a break up of 50 q 34 v ..

Although I have 3 years of exp in IT i would be applying to similar univs like Nanyang , Tepper , Kellog etc..

lemme know ur thoughts..

Vikram

Is this the first test you are taking? Have you tried the Manhattan or kaplan or other tests?

A 700 in first attempt is pretty good, I remember I landed a 720 in my first shot at the GMAT Prep. You must focus on your weak links and the main thing is maintaining composure and not get overawed on the G-Day! All the best!

About my app, yes, I am confused about whether I must apply now, and if yes, whether to apply to my first choices. Looks like not many have an idea, so I am still keeping my options open.