70% Quant, 97% Verbal; Many Schools Focus on Quant Abilities. Should I Retake!?

So…brief profile in case it helps. I’ve been a management strategy consultant for a large global firm for 3 years. I went to U of Michigan Ross Business School undergrad with a 3.5 GPA. So now… …I took the GMAT 2 days ago and got a 710…

So...brief profile in case it helps. I've been a management strategy consultant for a large global firm for 3 years. I went to U of Michigan Ross Business School undergrad with a 3.5 GPA. So now...

...I took the GMAT 2 days ago and got a 710. My first thought was, decent enough score and it's close to the mean/median of most top schools. However, I further assessed the score: 70% quant, 97% verbal, at which point my current paranoia set in:

Many (if not most) of the top schools (Stern, Wharton, Columbia, Sloan, Chicago, etc.), pride themselves on being heavy quant schools. Given that it's the most competitive year for b-school in decades, my main concern is this:

The 70% will raise a red flag to most schools, causing them to either (a) scrutinize my undergrad quant classes and look more intensely to my recommenders/essays for quant experiences ~ both of which would seem to put me at a disadvantage, or (b) they'll just toss me into the "maybe" or even worse the waitlist pile since the significant increase applications will certainly lead to them to assess the red flag-less candidates first.

These are the thoughts that lead me to believe that it might make sense to retake the exam, despite having a 710. $250, however, is a lot of money, and realistically I will only raise my score 20-40 points at best.

I don't think I'm not crazy in reasoning that not raising a red flag looks better than raising one, but I know little about the application process so I could be way off base. I've received mixed advice from friends both applying and currently in b-school. Any advice from people that have a better understanding of the application process would be immensely appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi,

I honestly suggest you to take another try at GMAT, b'coz, for most of TOP MBA schools, 80 percentile and above in both Math and Verbal will make you stand at the good chance.... and with the surge in the applications this year, it becomes even more important...

Good luck
Ag.

So...brief profile in case it helps. I've been a management strategy consultant for a large global firm for 3 years. I went to U of Michigan Ross Business School undergrad with a 3.5 GPA. So now...

...I took the GMAT 2 days ago and got a 710. My first thought was, decent enough score and it's close to the mean/median of most top schools. However, I further assessed the score: 70% quant, 97% verbal, at which point my current paranoia set in:

Many (if not most) of the top schools (Stern, Wharton, Columbia, Sloan, Chicago, etc.), pride themselves on being heavy quant schools. Given that it's the most competitive year for b-school in decades, my main concern is this:

The 70% will raise a red flag to most schools, causing them to either (a) scrutinize my undergrad quant classes and look more intensely to my recommenders/essays for quant experiences ~ both of which would seem to put me at a disadvantage, or (b) they'll just toss me into the "maybe" or even worse the waitlist pile since the significant increase applications will certainly lead to them to assess the red flag-less candidates first.

These are the thoughts that lead me to believe that it might make sense to retake the exam, despite having a 710. $250, however, is a lot of money, and realistically I will only raise my score 20-40 points at best.

I don't think I'm not crazy in reasoning that not raising a red flag looks better than raising one, but I know little about the application process so I could be way off base. I've received mixed advice from friends both applying and currently in b-school. Any advice from people that have a better understanding of the application process would be immensely appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.