590\. That was the score flashing on the computer after I gave my first GMAT mock exam. I had always

590. That was the score flashing on the computer after I gave my first GMAT mock exam. I had always dreamt about an MBA from a decent university. CAT seemed to be too competitive; GMAT was more like what I wanted. I will get 700+ score and the wo…

590. That was the score flashing on the computer after I gave my first GMAT mock exam. I had always dreamt about an MBA from a decent university. CAT seemed to be too competitive; GMAT was more like what I wanted. I will get 700+ score and the world would be my oyster that was my plan for the past eight years or so. And here I was, short by a good hundred and ten points. The world seemed to have crumbled in my first three and a half hour exam. Still, never to be bogged down by low scores, I studied and studied hard. English seemed to be the weak spot as per the mock GMAT. A hundred questions from OG11 on the first day of my studies, all the Kaplan questions the next day, questions from Kaplan 800 and more from OG11, in a week I was up to speed with GMAT. The only hitch, this time I got 580. Phew!!! How on Earth could anyone lose 220 points?

I got the answer to that when I gave a few more tests. When you can lose 250 points in a test, then why cant you lose 220? Sounds simple, or at least now that I am thorough with Logical Reasoning, I can agree with the above statement. But time had really come to pull up my socks. Hard work wasnt an issue, regularity and perseverance was. I had already joined MAD4GMAT test prep. Center, now I had to stick to their schedule as well. Amongst all the disheartening scores, one thing had improved. Sectional tests that I gave at center confirmed that my English had improved and dramatically so. Only the quant section was pulling me down. Still we concentrated on English and gave several sectional exams. Only when we (me and my mentor) were convinced that we can move on to the quant section, did we touch the Mathematics books.

Again, I had to do all the questions from OG11 and from Kaplan and from Kaplan 800 and from Princeton Review and from the numerous other sources that they had developed and were using. I couldnt have imagined doing so many questions. But the problem was they couldnt have imagined me doing anything fewer than this. Not that they forced me but somehow their will prevailed. And thats actually what brought my scores back on track.

Now I was getting decent scores even in Quant section. Better still, I was able to get 630 on a full-length Kaplan test. People say you can easily add eighty-hundred marks on the Kaplan score. But, of course this might be a fluke. My Mentor gave me a hundred other sectional tests or so it seemed. Better still, they analyzed every answer that I gave for each one of those tests and recommended ways I can improve. And here I was getting 710 on the sample GMAT test that comes when you register for the exam. Another attempt and I got 760. Now, I was confident that I would at least get 700 and so it was. On the D-day I got 720, not as high as I had got the previous day, but still it was 700+. Not a mean task especially when I hadnt given any competitive exam in the past seven years.

It's interesting to know about your story....But it looks more like a advertisement for coaching rather that true efforts....
This has happened in earlier forums too(If PG remember scoretop.com forum)... Can we ask people writing their success story not to write coaching center name as a standard practice...or submit copies of their scorecard for authencity to PG administrator...
This way we can ensure only authentic stories are displayed.
Regards,
Ashish