[22-Nov-2009] IIFT-2009: Analysis and Discussions.

Hi Use this thread to discuss and analyse the IIFT-2009 entrance test. Make sure you post only after the Test gets over and do not spam this thread with " all the best" posts. Mod Note: PM any of the mods for a poll with options

Hi

Use this thread to discuss and analyse the IIFT-2009 entrance test.

Make sure you post only after the Test gets over and do not spam this thread with " all the best" posts.

Mod Note: PM any of the mods for a poll with options

Cheers
Sukrit

IIFT springs in another surprise - The paper had 122 questions, 4 sections and HAD sectional cutoffs with 1/3 negative marking.

Hope everyone did well

Waiting for the detailed analysis from puys 😃

i attempted around 60 qustions found QA on tougher side gk on easier side..hope cuttoffs are not too much

wht do u thnk will be the cut off for quants?

I attempted only around 45 questions..

Shocked after seeing two things

1) only 122 questions
2) Sectional Cut off's :splat:

Hey puys,

1 down.. Many more to go..

IIFT Analysis:
Total Attempts: 63
Section 1: 13
Section 2: 12
Section 3: 8
Section 4: 30

Now all depends on the accuracy. Found QA to be really tough nd time consuming, hence d dip in Quant attempts.

I guess d answers will be posted by coaching centres post 3-4 pm then the Mods can start a poll about expected marks so that we have an idea abt the cut offs..

amresh.manit Says
i attempted around 60 qustions found QA on tougher side gk on easier side..hope cuttoffs are not too much

Ya!! Quants were tough This time i think!!.,. !!:banghead:

IIFT did spring a surprise this year as it does every year.The introduction of sectional cutoffs did come as a surprise to everyone who had pre-decided strategies of restricting themselves to eeither LR or VA questions.

My analysis

DI/LR

DI was probably the section that would make or break a call.Sets were very calculation intensive.There was only a single LR set which was a must attempt to expedite marks in this section.The single-questions were doable and this section should have been given atleast30-35 minutes to get a decent score.Cut off should be 7-9 marks @ 1.0 per question

QA

QA played roughneck in the paper.Question selection was of prime importance in the section.Some straightforward algebra questions were scattered pretty much in the entire paper.The questions although were made unnecessarily wordy to confound anyone who might refrain from attempting excessively lenghty and wordy questions.The surprise element,in a deviation from last years' papers was the number of questions of Mensuration.These were sure-shot attempts.Cut off should be 6-7 marks @ 1.0 per question.

GK

Siddharth Basu would have laughed at this section.10+ attempts were definitely possible in 10 min for even the most average of readers.Cut off should be 3-4 marks @ 0.4 per question

VA

VA should have been a breeze although giving too much time would hamper your chances of clearing the sectional cut-offs in other sections(which could happen to me).The vocab based questions were much simpler in comparison to their '08 and '07 counterparts.From among the 4 RCs the 2RCs of moderate length could have been attempted.Ideally one shouldn't spend more than 30 min on VA with a good 13+ attempts.Cut off should be 10 marks @ 1.0 for part A and 0.6 for part B.

Final take on cut-offs

DI 7-9
QA 6-7
GK 3-4
VA 10-11

OA 26-30

My overall attempts:

DI-----10
QA-----11
GK-----11
VA------27

OA Marks attempted=43.25

quant takes more time nd is really tough campared to all previous years :banghead:
hope cut-offs wil b low

I attempted 44 Questions:

Section 1: 19.
Section 2: 11.
Section 3: 08.
Section 4: 06.

Quant was tough. Any take on cutoffs?

Hey puys,

1 down.. Many more to go..

IIFT Analysis:
Total Attempts: 63
Section LR/DI: 13
Section GK: 12
Section Quant: 8
Section Verbal: 30

Now all depends on the accuracy. Found QA to be really tough nd time consuming, hence d dip in Quant attempts.

I guess d answers will be posted by coaching centres post 3-4 pm then the Mods can start a poll about expected marks so that we have an idea abt the cut offs..

quant. section was really a mess.......
and 1/3 -ve was also a surprise.......

Not counted all the attempts but due to pre meditation thought QA would be pretty tough.
A little nudge in time management landed me to only 7 attempts in QA.
Have left all to destiny now...

Well the first major exam of the season is over and now it starts to post scores & attempts ...
Well after an extremely Easy IRMA ...this was the time of a bit Tough IIFT...made tougher with 1/3rd negative marking...

My attempts::
DI/LR-14(gave abt 45mins)
GK-13(gave arnd 15mins)
QA-11(gave abt 35min...my mind blew off in the start..i cudnt concentrate but still managed...)
RC,VA-8,14(will be happy if accuracy is gud..or else...)
OA--60

My analysis::
DI/LR-Was very calculative intensive and only 1 Reasoning set(got surprised)
The section sud have taken atleast 35-45mins attempting arnd 12-14
questions.....
Quant:- As it is said please solve past CAT papers to have a gud time here at IIFT-Quant,it definitely came out to be true...3-4 questions were exact type of past CAT questions.Overall ppl leaving Geometry& Mensuration wud have faced much trouble...30min---atleast 11 attempts
GK---Yes it was very very easy...atleast 12 attempts is minimum in 15mins
VA/RC--:RCs were moderate difficult level....atleast 2RC to be attempted in 15mins(CEO & Sugarcane were easy passages)
VA was average-moderate level....Jumbling sud have been attempted.

Overall Cut-off ---will be easily "30"

My attempts
VA 22
LRDI 15
GK 17
QA 11
------
65 in total.
-----
The cut off cuold be 25-30 % in each section,. and 30%-35 overall.

I messed d quant ..

my attempts
12 rc (y god i didnt read d editorial in morning .. i should hv attempted 2 rc's only)
25 va
15 lr/di
14 gk
8 quant ( i already knw 2 r wrong 5 right .. d 1 left will decide )

puys plz instead of mentionin section 1 section 2 ..write d name quant di ..

attempted 65 0A

g.k.-17
va-24----all vocab vaale
qa-11
lr-13

g.k. nd va went nice qa tough 3 flat tukke di wasted time

quant was definitely on d tougher side..di was calculation intensive..english can be d only saving grace..jst hoping to clear d cut-off's..

My attempts were as follows:

Section 1 :
RC-3
VA-25

Section 2:
LR-8
DI-8

Section 3:
GK-11

Section 4:
QA- 3 :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

OA: 58
Two questions to all Puys:
1) What do u think the sectional cutoffs will be like
2) Sectional cutoff can also mean sectional cutoff=0 like last time right?