[2014-2016] M.A./ M.Sc. in Regulatory Governance, TISS, Mumbai

Dear Pagalguy Forum Users, We are 2013-2015 batch students of the M.A/ M.Sc in Regulatory Governance *Programme at TISS, Mumbai. *Please feel free to post requests for information and clarifications related to this course. *Brief I…

Dear Pagalguy Forum Users,

We are 2013-2015 batch students of the M.A/ M.Sc in Regulatory Governance Programme at TISS, Mumbai. Please feel free to post requests for information and clarifications related to this course.

Brief Info on the Course:

The M.A/ M.Sc. programme in Regulatory Governance, seeks to provide a comprehensive understanding of contemporary regulation theory and emerging regulatory practice models, both at the national and international levels, taking on board critical social dimensions such as equity, environment and sustainability concerns. It is a multi-disciplinary programme and aims to develop socially responsible and environmentally conscious professionals in the emerging field of regulatory governance.

The programme stresses on building interdisciplinary knowledge and has attracted interest from candidates from diverse backgrounds. One gets to learn with the experts and practitioners in varied domains relevant for a firm understanding of Regulation and Regulatory Governance.

For more details, please visit the programme page on TISS' website.

M.A/ M.Sc in Regulatory Governance programme, TISS, Mumbai

Career Prospects:

In the contemporary times, there is a shift seen in the style of governance from direct governance (under various ministries) to arm's-length governance (by regulatory bodies). In the coming years, regulation by specific bodies of experts will be the new face of governance in India. Already there are regulatory bodies like RBI, SEBI, Electricity Regulators, TRAI and many more. Some are functioning successfully and others are in various stages of evolution. This gives space for a new set of professionals who are experts in regulatory processes, skilled to maintain balance among competing demands, concerned with social, environmental and economic issues and still conforming to the constitutional and statutory obligations.

Process of regulation involves multiple stakeholders namely Government, Regulatory body, private/public enterprise and civil society. Every such stakeholder needs professionals who can better understand the regulatory frameworks, the guidelines, identify and eliminate loopholes in them and can better represent that stakeholder.

In private/ public enterprises: Corporates (like Tata Motors) and PSU's have separate regulatory departments which deal with their regulatory compliance requirements. Other companies are also coming up with their regulatory wings. This provides opportunities for regulatory professionals to represent their companies in an efficient and holistic manner.

With Government: Currently Real Estate Bill is on anvil, which will lead to the creation of new regulator for real estate sector. Also State municipal regulatory commission is proposed in some states. Similarly government is coming up with regulatory bodies in various sectors. There is scope for regulatory professionals to work with government agencies for efficient formulation and implementation of regulatory policies and related bodies.

With Regulatory Bodies: Regulatory bodies offer fellowship programmes to young professionals where they can directly work and gain experience in day to day functioning of regulatory bodies, policy making and tariff setting, formulating rules and guidelines, innovating new measures for control and development of their sector. In the long run, they can excel at these opportunities and join the regulatory bodies as full-time professionals.

On behalf of the Civil Society: Young regulatory professionals can represent civil society. Policy research, Policy Analysis and Policy Advocacy are the areas where professionals can start with. Initial work experience with civil society would lay down strong foundation for a rewarding career in the regulatory arena.

Graduate students from all discipline of study can find their relevance and calling in this programme. Current batch of students hail from diverse backgrounds - ranging from humanities, commerce, pharmacy, economics, literature to engineering.

For a more detailed document related to the course, please click here.

[Refer to Consultation document].

The PIT/ PI dates are here.

Please also visit out Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/371960686268153/?bookmark_t=group

All the Best!!

Regards,

[email protected] Team [13-15]

P.S.: This thread is intended to provide information on the M.A/ M.Sc programme in Regulatory Governance.

We've had a few queries before we could formally start this thread. We regret the inconvenience caused due to the delay in starting this thread.

Query 1: Original Link

http://www.pagalguy.com/comments/16253770/c/17419332

Transcript:

nayan1990

Hi, I'm also opting for MA/MSc in Regulatory Governance as 2nd option for TISSNET-2014. I'm from Telecommunication Engineering background. Can you explain me the relevance as compared to regulatory authorities like TRAI ? Would be grateful if you share your experience about the whole selection procedure.

#106 Sep

[email protected]

hi nayan, sorry for late reply...

#209 Sep

kmr_shashwat

Since this course is a new one even had certain apprehensions initially. This entire concept of Regulatory governance is new in India. Only LSE, Harvard and Monash offer this course.

#309 Sep

kmr_shashwat

This course is designed in such a way that u would end up in regulatory bodies like TRAI, CERC etc. As of now in 1st sem we are learning history of regulation, constitution and administrative law, public policy and financial analysis as core subjects. Besides we have been to few public hearings of Maharashtra State Electricity Regulatory Commission.In a way this course is evolving slowly considering diverse background of our class which has engineers, economists and other field students.

In relevance to TRAI and as a telecom engg, you would supplement yourself with policy, law and financial aspect besides technical knowledge u have. This way you can enter telecom sector either as a regulator or in a regulatee telecom company. You would learn issues like tariff setting based on aspects such as technical feasibility. As of now telecom sector is not offered in options because of lack of faculty but they would teach us general practices which can be used everywhere and one can build on that. There are students in our batch who want to pursue telecom sector and are doing the same.

So in short, we as a batch are loving the course and in the mean time also helping faculty to evolve this course. The advantage of being in one of the start up batch

#409 Sep

kmr_shashwat

in regards to selection procedure-

a) be updated with current affairs in all areas, this will help u on scoring well in combined entrance, considering you are good at maths and english

b) 2nd and 3rd rounds are written and interview. Again for written knowledge of current affairs is a must as all ques are based on that. i had a good time in interview, they would like to know your understanding of regulatory field, why you want to pursue the course. they do not seek too much detailed info as they know people are yet not well versed with this field. since you have interest in telecom, be well versed with this sector and its issues.

c) score of all 3 rounds are counted so make sure you do well in all 3 examsHope to see you next year

#510 Sep

nayan1990

Thank you very much for the information...it was much needed...i was really apprehensive about the course as I didn't have any stuff to go through about it...as of now i am trying to improve my GK & current affairs especially economics...wish my dream of studying in TISS comes true...thank you once again

#610 Sep

Query 2: Original Link

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/2013-2015-tiss-ma-msc-in-regulatory-governance-pit-pi-prep-25094664/8363923

neetika.bajaj90

02:14 PM, 20 Sep '13

20 Sep

Hi Can anyone from the maiden batch of Regulatory Governance give me an idea of the kind of job opportunities and package they are anticipating considering you people have spent considerable time in the course now. Thanks

Hi Nayan and Neetika,

Thank you for your interest.

As the course is designed to create "Regulatory Professionals", it would be difficult to comment on the "pay package" aspect.

One could make an assessment going by the fact that

a) TISS is the first and perhaps the only institute offering this programme at the Master's level [PG] in India and

b) the programme focusses on providing an overall understanding of Regulation and its impacts, in addition to the legal aspect. [A good majority of the universities (outside of India) offer this programme through the School of Law/ Department of Law]

Regards,

RGatPG [13-15]

I have another and probably the last question for you guys...

1. When is the entrance exam? I know that the last date to register is 25th October
2. How do I prepare for the entrance? - books, online sources, any other thing that you might want to suggest.
3. And my last question- What is the profile of the first batch looks like- in terms of undergrad background, years of experience, etc.

Thanks very much for the time and effort

https://www.facebook.com/groups/371960686268153/?bookmark_t=group
our facebook page

Clarifications regarding Selection criteria and weightage -

1. The total marks remains 225 - 100 for CET, 50 for PIT and 75 for PI

2. This year a change has been brought in. Instead of the absolute marks scored in CET, PIT and PI; for the preparation of Final merit list the weightages of the respective sections shall be 50 %, 20% and 30%.

3. This means compared to last year, NET/CET scores have gained slightly more significance, hence maximize your CET scores.

4. This year there is clarity on various other counts such as tie-breaker, wait-list criteria, preference factor etc.

5. Please understand the importance of preferences one has filled in his/her application form.

Please clear my one query ..As of now I don't have form 16 of my parents income for year 2012-13 , Also apart from It I am working in TCS from Past tw year ...What do I need to attach at place Income certificate ... Is there any other alternative ?? .If yes , then Please provide some insights ... Help will be immensely helpful 😃

i am not able to upload my photo and signature.. and it says.. server problem and please try later.. else call the administrator if the problem persists.. can i know how to contact the administartor or any details regarding it? please do help

I am final year law student. Is it advisable ( actually is it possible) to join as a fresher without any work experience to this course?

Actually i have the obc certi but it is not updated after 1/4/13 .

in tiss application it is sshowing that certificate must be issued after 1/4/13.

So i would like to ask that whether i am eligible to apply as aobc candidate pls do rply

Did anyone received Admit Card?

Hi !what is the expected cut off in Tiss Net for regulatory Governanace and public policy& governance respectively?

i got selected for this program,could you please give me it's placement details

Hi,

I got an interview call for this course.

Could you provide info on the career prospects and placements for the Regulatory Studies course.

got short listed for the course ... really very happy ... can I know what was the cut off for the course and can I know various cutoff for other courses too ...

how r the placements and future prospects of this course? i understand that this is the 1st batch? r thr much research options available on completion of this course?

got the mail ! my pit/pi is on 11th march first day first show !

Which Topics and Current Scenario we should study for GD-PI

anyone preparing for Water policy and governance?