[2014-16] IFIM Bangalore Official Admissions Queries and related discussions

Welcome to IFIM Business School, Bangalore’s official admission query thread! We are happy to announce that the admissions for 2014-16 batch is open now.The 2 year full-time courses being offered by IFIM include: Postgraduate Diploma in Manage…

Welcome to IFIM Business School, Bangalore's official admission query thread! We are happy to announce that the admissions for 2014-16 batch is open now.

The 2 year full-time courses being offered by IFIM include: Postgraduate Diploma in Management (PGDM), Postgraduate Diploma in Management- International Business (PGDM-IB) and Postgraduate Diploma in Management- Finance (PGDM-Finance).

All the 3 programs mentioned above are approved by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) and Ministry of HRD, Government of India.

To know more about the institute's rankings, curriculum, faculty, placements, achievements, events and happenings, fee structure, etc. please visit www.ifimbschool.com

You can submit all your queries regarding the application and the admission process on this thread.

Admission Procedure for PGDM, PGDM IB & PGDM - Finance

-Graduation (10+2+3 stream) from any recognized university with minimum of 50% marks.

-Students must have valid score card of any one of the All India Management Entrance Examinations – CAT, XAT, MAT, CMAT, GMAT and ATMA. Students who are appearing in 2014 All India Management Entrance Examination may also apply.

-Short-listed candidates will be called to participate in the Group Discussions and Personal Interviews at designated test centres.

Prospective Candidate can apply On-line. The payment can be made through

1. Online payment gateway

2. By Demand Draft / Cheque for Rs. 1100/- drawn in favour of 'Centre for Developmental Education' Bangalore.

Important dates:

1. Submission of online application begins from 10th Sep 2013.

2. Group Discussion & Personal Interview (GD/PI) dates will be intimated to candidates

through the registered e-mails ID's.

3. Program commencement date: 2nd July 2014

Hello ! May i know the previous years CAT/XAT cutoff and also the last date for applying ?

@raveesh10

Hello ! May i know the previous years CAT/XAT cutoff and also the last date for applying ?

Hello Raveesh! Last year's cut off for CAT/XAT was around 60 percentile and the last date for applying for the first round of GD/PI (which will be in Dec 13 ) is 30th NOV 2013.

Dear Puys. We would be shortly scheduling a LIVE Chat with the experts of IFIM. Users can participate by "following" this thread. More info on that and other events of IFIM will be broadcasted soon. Stay tuned to all updates. Follow @IFIMBSchool mg

Get answers to key personal interview questions. Chat LIVE with the faculty at IFIM Bangalore from 4 pm to 6 pm on 22nd Nov'13. Stay updated by switching ON the thread notifications. mg

CHAT will go LIVE in sometime. All users who are following this thread are requested to login and post your queries as soon as possible so that they can be taken up by @IFIMBSchool and @IFIM_faculty . All the best.

Welcome to the Live Chat conducted by IFIM Business School's Faculty. In today's session Dr. Madhumita Chatterji will be answering all your queries on how to crack group discussions,personal interviews and essays. Dr. Madhumita is the Dean for Academics and Student Affairs at IFIM. Her expertise is primarily in the areas of Ethics, CSR & Governance. She has over 20 years of experience in academics and corporate. We hope you make best use of this opportunity to interact with her.

Tips on cracking GD/PI-
-Concept clarity
-Current affairs: Read Economic times, Know world economy updates and have a opinion which you can share.
-Don't get Aggressive but be assertive
-Don't give Cliche'd answers. Be honest.
-Don't go overboard with your family details but talk more about yourself.

Few tips to crack essay writing:
- Make an outline before you start writing
- Build idea and don't miss the flow.
- Be careful in analyzing the descriptive essay and expository essays.
- Don't put 'numbers' if you are not sure about it.
- Express your point of view but don't forget to mention other schools of thoughts
- Make a graceful wrap up to conclude.

i am going to appear in xat in jan-14 and in mat and cmat in feb-2014....the results of which will be out by jan end, feb end and mid-march. so using which score should i apply for pgdm and what is the last date of application...also when will gd-pi sessions be held...

@naddy65

i am going to appear in xat in jan-14 and in mat and cmat in feb-2014....the results of which will be out by jan end, feb end and mid-march. so using which score should i apply for pgdm and what is the last date of application...also when will gd-pi sessions be held...

You can use your best score and apply.
Last date to apply for the 1st round of admission is 30th Nov 2013, for the 2nd round its 31st dec 2013 and for the 3rd round its 31st Jan. Refer to the attached document for GD/PI dates.

Welcome to the 'Live Chat' with the IFIM Faculty. Today we shall answer your queries on how to crack GD, PI and Essays. Dr. D.N Murthy, Dean- Research & International Relations will be answering your queries. A highly qualified faculty with a Ph. D from the University of Washington. He specializes in Business Marketing and Strategic Marketing. We hope you make best use of this opportunity.

Some frequently asked questions GD/PI and essays:

Q. How to go about a GD topic which is controversial?

A. The best approach for a controversial topic is to think with a broad mind, look in context of long terms perspective, and short term implications. It is best for the group to discuss both pros and cons of a controversial issue and then try to form a consensus. For example: Should India declare war on Pakistan? It should be dealt carefully and both pros and cons (short & long term) of any action should be discussed.

Q. Does the summarizer have an edge over the others in a GD?

A. The answer is definitely yes. Starting a GD or summarizing a GD fetches you brownie points. However, the focus should not be on summary, but a meaningful summary, which includes the major points discussed and the general opinion formed. However, it is not a must. If you feel uncomfortable in summarizing, then it is better you earn your GD points by putting forward valuable inputs.

Q. How to tackle a loud GD?

A. Most of the GDs would be loud and you should be prepared for that. It is best not to add to the loudness. Rather, when the intensity level drops a little, raise your point. Make sure that you raise a new point so that everyone listens.

Q. How to avoid a fish market situation in GDs?

A. Sometimes a fish market situation is unavoidable if others keep on shouting. The best strategy is not to contribute to the fish market. You should wait for the opportune moment, and as soon as the decibel level lowers, you should address the group and tell them that the discussion is heading nowhere. Having said that, impetus is on you to take the discussion forward. Immediately, come up with a new / earlier unnoticed point and encourage the group to discuss on that.

Q. What should be the ideal answer for 'Why MBA' during the interview?

A. There is no ideal answer to 'Why MBA?'. The answer depends on your profile and your objectives. The answer should convince that MBA is the right option for you, as it will help you reach your goals. The answer should also convince the interviewer that this is the right time for you to do an MBA.

Q. Will mentioning anything about money/high salary/good placement, leave a negative impact?

A. I would recommend you to avoid saying high salaries and good placements. Professors (interviews) want you to learn the managerial concepts and apply them in your organizations. You can always say that you wish to reach an executive position where you can apply your decision making skills. And an MBA will help you hone your decision making skills.

Q. If the interviewer asks me why I want to pursue MBA from that particular B-School, what shall I reply?

A. It is best to say a few good and unique things about the institute. You can easily find the answer by browsing the institute's website or other related forums. You can talk about industry interaction, faculty and their research work, infrastructure, brand value, student exchange, history, alums and lot more. Avoid saying about placements (personal view).

Q. What should be the flow of essay writing?

A. Typically essays should start with an introductory paragraph about the topic. It should follow up with the main points where you put forward your case. It is best to illustrate your points with facts and examples. After the main body, the last paragraph should be able to summarize your thoughts and your opinion about the topic should be reflected by the concluding paragraph.

Q. What should I do to speed up my thinking while writing essay?

A. Avoid thinking about new points while writing. In fact, write about what you have already thought. Best approach is to jot down the key points, and draw a concept map on rough paper. Try to think of as many points in first 5 minutes. After that, focus on the flow of your essay so that it covers each and every point.

How is the placement for the bath 2011-13. I didn't find the info on website?

@vishu_mba10

How is the placement for the bath 2011-13. I didn't find the info on website?

Hi @vishu_mba10 Following are the placement highlights of 2011-13 batch:

路 84 companies visited our campus for final placement in the year 2013

路 57 companies visited our campus for Internships in the year 2013

路 Average Salary of our Graduating Batch was Rs 5.2 lacs

What is the average salary for the 2013 pass-outs ?

Shoot any queries you have regarding IFIM Bangalore - to current students, alumni and faculty members. Know the truth about IFIM. You can also visit our admissions site to get more information (www.ifimbschool.com)

Does the fees of Rs 9.5 lac includes cost of Books and other study materials.

If not, are books compulsory??