[2013-2015] MDI PGP Admission Notification and related discussion

Hi All, Management Development Institute, Gurgaon has announced the admission and related process for the following programs1. Post Graduate Program in Management2. Post Graduate Program in Human Resource Management3. Post Gradua…

Hi All,

Management Development Institute, Gurgaon has announced the admission and related process for the following programs
1. Post Graduate Program in Management
2. Post Graduate Program in Human Resource Management
3. Post Graduate Program in International Management

Important dates
Online application submission - 5th September - 10th October, 2012
Issue of Information Brochure and Application form (printed) - 5th September - 10th October, 2012 (Working Monday to Friday, 10 am - 5 pm)

Eligibility
PGPM / PGP - HRM / PGP - IM
1. Minimum 3 years Bachelor's degree
2. 50% marks or equivalent CGPA in any discipline recognized by the association of Indian Universities / AICTE
3. Candidates completing all requirements for obtaining Bachelor's degree by 30th June, 2013 can also apply

Admission Procedure
1. Candidates need to appear for CAT (refer catiim.in)
(foreign nationals / NRI / PIO can apply by submitting valid GMAT score, taken not later than October 2012)
2. Subsequent Group Discussion and Personal Interview

Some important links and attachments
Offical website: www.mdi.ac.in
Blog: www.mdispeaks.wordpress.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mdigurgaon
Twitter: http://twitter.com/MDIGurgaon

Feel free to ask us any doubts.
Please go through the following two posts regarding some common questions' links posted in this thread. We can avoid any repetitive question in that manner.

Check your application status through the link
http://online.mdi.ac.in/AdmissionFPM/status.aspx

All the best everyone for CAT from current MDI batches.

Cheers
Seba

Generic questions

7. When would MDI release the GD PI list for shortlisted candidates
For the last two years MDI released its list in last week of January/ First week of February. Expect the same this year as well.

8. Which are the GD PI locations
Normally it should be according to the preference you mentioned in your application form. However if any city has lesser than stipulated number of candidates, MDI might shift the venue, but chances for that is pretty less.
If not changed at the last minute, cities for GDPI should be Gurgaon, Mumbai, Bangalore, Kolkata

9. What should be the ideal percentile to convert MDI call
It is very difficult for anyone other than the admission cell, to predict what should be a good percentile to convert your call. Admission cell prefers to keep the admission criteria confidential. Hence the student fraternity will not be able to comment on your chances.

10. Do I need to send my CAT score card to MDI for further processing.
No. You need not send your scorecard. MDI will get the scores directly from the CAT conducting body.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.Link for information brochure of 2013 - 2015
http://www.mdi.ac.in/pdf/MDI%20-%20Inforamation%20Brochure%20-%202013%20(04-09-12)%20Low%20Quality.pdf >>

2. MDI Online application link
http://online.mdi.ac.in/AdmissionFPM/default.aspx >>

3. What was the cut off score for MDI in 2012, to get a call for GD PI process?
The cutoff for getting a call for GD PI process was
Overall - 93.98 percentile
Sectional - 70 percentile on each section
The above cutoff is common for all three courses
Cutoff scores vary from year to year depending on the factors like applicant sample space, Overall Selection criteria etc.

4. Number of seats at MDI?
PGPM - 240
PGPHR - 60
PGPIM - 30 (Minor variation of 2 - 3 seats depending on certain factors)
(There is no reservation of seats, of any kind, at MDI)

5. How important is stream preference selection column in MDI application form?
It is highly important. Your allotment of stream during admission is dependent on the preference of stream you fill.

6. How does stream preference actually works?
Stream preference is highly important. After both the rounds are over (CAT and GDPI) MDI forms a list based on a candidate's composite taken from both rounds. Accordingly a candidate is gets a rank. One list is formed through which allocation is done to all 3 streams.
Release of list 1: Once above is done, MDI starts allocating stream. Say the top 300 students get their preference 1 stream. So if someone has first preference course PGPIM, and has a rank of say 250, he/she is allocated the stream. MDI normally keeps a number in mind each for PGPM, PGPIM and PGPHR and accordingly allots a rank.
Release of subsequent list: Now if there are still vacant seats MDI would keep moving people as per their preference. Let me take a couple of examples to explain this.
Example 1, A person has a rank 350 and is allocated PGPHR, which was is 2nd preference. PGPIM was his first preference. If there is a seat still vacant even after exhausting top 349 ranks in PGPIM, then this person with rank 350, will be moved from his second preference (PGPHR) to first preference (PGPIM).
Note - if that person no more wants to move to PGPIM as he/she is happy with PGPHR, it will not be considered. Whatever the person has filled in form will only be considered.
Example 2, A person with rank 600, gets a seat in PGPIM which is his/her 3rd preference. With the protocol mentioned in example 1, this person would moved to preference 2 and then preference 1, as per the availability of seat.

NOTICE
Check your application status through the link
http://online.mdi.ac.in/AdmissionFPM/status.aspx

Questions related to fill up of form

1. I filled up my application in lower case. What should I do now?
Ans - You should have filled in capital letters. But anyways, it cannot be rectified now. Your application will be accepted and you getting a call should not be having any issues because of this problem.

2. I have filled a wrong email ID. What should I do?
Ans - Immediately send a mail to admissions office, stating your name, MDI application number and CAT application number (SR*******). Your email ID cannot be changed at this stage.
In future you will have to keep a track of whatever updates happen at MDI, regarding selection procedure.

3. I have put my surname in place of name and vice versa. What should I do?
Ans - Your getting a call because of that will not be a problem. But for the purpose of documentation you will have to send a mail to admissions office right away with your name (highlight first name and last name separately), MDI application number and CAT application number, stating the issue. If you get a call for interview and subsequently get selected, you will have to produce the letter for clarifications.

4. I do not have a surname, but surname field is mandatory. What should I do?
Ans - Put a dot ( ' . ' ) in the surname field. That should be fine.

5. Where can I check my application status?
Once the application process is over, MDI would come with the complete list of applicants. To be safe, keep the courier consignment receipt and a photocopy of your application form, in case any discrepancy happens at a later stage.

6. Calculation of 10th and 12th percentage
You should take the best 5 subjects in your report card including language subject like english for calculating your percentage.

Hi, can you elaborate a little about MDI as a whole....what is the avg package like(in major streams), faculty and alumni network? since you are a student there, would love to have some insights...not the regular stuff that is published...

All the information asked by you is available on the MDI website.

Placement report link: http://mdi.ac.in/pdf/pl1.pdf
MDI is having the maximum number of permanent faculty members. The complete information about that is available at http://mdi.ac.in/faculty/show-faculty.html
To know about the MDI's alumni network, you can visit: http://mdi.ac.in/alumni-relations/illustrious-alumni.html
@participants: please go through the MDI website, before asking any query. Most of your queries about the institute will be solved by visiting the website. Even if you still have any queries, regarding the admission process or related to that then you can post here
@sharmaa.abhay said:

Hi, can you elaborate a little about MDI as a whole....what is the avg package like(in major streams), faculty and alumni network? since you are a student there, would love to have some insights...not the regular stuff that is published...

Hi Abhay,

I would suggest you to go through the blogs / twitter / facebook group to have a glimpse at life of a Mandevian.

In case you have any specific query you can shoot it here.

Other queries:
1. Level of Faculty: MDI is among the highest in terms of number and experience of permanent faculties, in India. You can go through their profiles in the old brochure right now, or wait for some more time till you get hold of 2013 admission brochure.
We also have guest lectures happening every now and then.

2. Alumni network - Well, quality of all these things are pretty obvious in colleges like MDI.
Anyways, alumni network is pretty strong for MDI.

For placement related information, you can go through the placement summary posted on website. Here goes the link
http://www.mdi.ac.in/placement/placement-report.html >>

what was the last year cut off of mdi????

@kanoirohit said: what was the last year cut off of mdi????
The cutoff for getting a call for GD PI process in 2012 was
Overall - 93.5 percentile approximately
Sectional - 70 percentile approximately on each section
The above cutoff is common for all three courses

they will shortlist for interview on the basis of CAT %tile or we need to apply separately to this college?? if yes then when we have to apply before cat result or after?

@vivek2013 said: they will shortlist for interview on the basis of CAT %tile or we need to apply separately to this college?? if yes then when we have to apply before cat result or after?
Yes, you need to apply for MDI separately.
Please go to the first post of this thread to get the relevant information.
You can also check the advertisement which has come out in national dailies today.
Following is one line
http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Repository/ml.asp?Ref=VE9JTS8yMDEyLzA4LzI2I0FkMDA3MTE=&Mode;=G&Locale;=english-skin-custom >>

So the process of junior batch kicks off(Application form)..Eagerly waiting for you all at the campus..:)

First step to become a mandevian..:)

are they going to accept CMAT scores?

As per the notification given, MDI will only be accepting CAT scores.

Can u please tell me the last person to convert had what percentile..?? And also the approx average fresher percentage of the batch for PGPM .. ??

Thanks in advance :)

can any1 tell me the order in which we shud apply for the streams available in the college.

@maddy2807 said: can any1 tell me the order in which we shud apply for the streams available in the college.
There is no fixed order to apply for the streams.It would all depend on your priorities and choices with long term goals.But do make proper informed choices before filling up the streams.You are not allowed to change your order once you have applied.
All the best.

PS-The information is being given in relation to past years criteria.
@vaibhav9874 said: Can u please tell me the last person to convert had what percentile..?? And also the approx average fresher percentage of the batch for PGPM .. ??Thanks in advance
It would be difficult to quantify the last percentile convert at this time.I would advice you to focus on your preparations for the time being.Still would post it in case we have a concrete information regarding the same.

Hi @seba_catrpillar sir,

few questions from my end:

1. last percentile to convert PGP, PGP-HR, PGP-IM?
2. student-exchange programs and dual degree(I heard MDI has one of the best exchange programs)
say if a student wants to go for student exchange and pursue a dual degree from pgpm only... is it possible??
3. profiles and placements in IT-Systems
@ayush13 said: So the process of junior batch kicks off(Application form)..Eagerly waiting for you all at the campus..
First step to become a mandevian..
sir IMT or MDI whose better?