[2013-2015] IIFM Bhopal Admissions

This thread is aimed at admissions and related queries of Indian Institute of Forest Management, Bhopal, an autonomous institute under Ministry of Environment and Forests, Government of India.* **Any pertinent query related to any other im…

This thread is aimed at admissions and related queries of Indian Institute of Forest Management, Bhopal, an autonomous institute under Ministry of Environment and Forests, Government of India.

Any pertinent query related to any other important issue apart from admissions will surely be answered here by a group of students who are currently pursuing their PGDFM(Post Graduate Diploma in Forest Management), the flagship program of IIFM.

So aspirants and dreamers go ahead with your doubts and concerns and feel free to get in touch through this forum and we are here to make your journey ahead smoother and worthwhile.

Cheers!

Rana Pujari
PGDFM 2014
IIFM, Bhopal.

www.iifm.ac.in

how much %ile would be required for admission? please discuss in detail

@onlyrohit it depnds on the category...for gen category 80%le would be a safe option because iifm gives more weightage to ur gdpi...

Koushtubh Joshi
PGDFM 2012-14
IIFM

Hi Rohit..regarding the %tile nothing much to discuss in detail..last year it went till 75%tile for general.more than %tile IIFM, being a premier sectoral institute, gives due weightage to interview..let me knw of any othr doubts.

@ranapujari said: Hi Rohit..regarding the %tile nothing much to discuss in detail..last year it went till 75%tile for general.more than %tile IIFM, being a premier sectoral institute, gives due weightage to interview..let me knw of any othr doubts.do they have weightage for the academics as well?

acads play imprtant in any good b school...an above avg track record is safe enuf..but its not so rigorous here at IIFM as ur will and interest play a vital role in ur selection...all dese shld get reflected in ur intrvw..u got to justify on why u wana join a college like IIFM to the extremely experienced profs...rest do well in CAT..

@ranapujari said: acads play imprtant in any good b school...an above avg track record is safe enuf..but its not so rigorous here at IIFM as ur will and interest play a vital role in ur selection...all dese shld get reflected in ur intrvw..u got to justify on why u wana join a college like IIFM to the extremely experienced profs...rest do well in CAT..
**important role**
@ranapujari

Hi...

Wasn't there any international placements in 2012?(details not available on website)

The placement scenario has improved alot compared to previous years('11,'10)
What is the reason behind this surge in packages offered?

Is this growth in the placements sustainable ?

What about the lateral placements for the work ex people...do companies give better package to work ex people or is it same as freshers ?

Which companies gave 8+ package last year?

IIFM is considered one of the best sectoral institutes in india
It has a good repute globally; which is comparable to other sectoral colleges(eg NITIE, IRMA, MICA etc)...but in terms of placements it lags behind...dont know why.

Work satisfaction coupled with good package will motivate aspirants choosing this prestigious institute over others.

Thanks. :)

@ashu.juit said:
Wasn't there any international placements in 2012?(details not available on website)
The placement scenario has improved alot compared to previous years('11,'10)
What is the reason behind this surge in packages offered?
Is this growth in the placements sustainable ?
What about the lateral placements for the work ex people...do companies give better package to work ex people or is it same as freshers ?
Which companies gave 8+ package last year?
IIFM is considered one of the best sectoral institutes in india
It has a good repute globally; which is comparable to other sectoral colleges(eg NITIE, IRMA, MICA etc)...but in terms of placements it lags behind...dont know why.
Work satisfaction coupled with good package will motivate aspirants choosing this prestigious institute over others.
Thanks.
yes Aditya Birla Group offered intl placements this time..its dere in the website.no reason as such behind the surge in the package..a lil increase is normal every year..yes growth is sustainable brother coz one is never over paid..regarding the preference for work ex people yes there are companies whr work ex people are at an advantage but not for all..ur Summer Internship is also vital to get a good placement as it reflects ur interest and the kind of company and profile you have interned in.right now we dnt have the details regarding the individual packages of companies but be assured no other college will give you such an ROI!but yes only and only ur interest and self motivation will make you a happy student here.IIFM dsnt market itself as well as NITIE or IRMA so nobdy gets to know wats going on inside.placements are more dan 100% every year and yes its true dat in this sector one can never be paid as high as other sectors or corporates..but wid time one can reach or grow to any level as it has immense repute and respect in the market..your worries are jusfiable at this stage but dnt you worry..

How many seats are there for PGDFM???

@shntn there are 93 seats in total for pgdfm.

Koushtubh Joshi
PGDFM 2012-14
IIFM
@ashu.juit

Dear Ashu,

Average package for 2012 batch of IRMA is 8 lacs, MICA is 8.5 lacs and in IIFM it is 7.3 lacs So I don't see that much difference when fees of IIFM is only 3 lacs. Regarding NITIE we cannot compare NITIE with IRMA, IIFM & MICA because it is even better than some IIMs. In case of IIFM you will get a good average package but I accept that highest domestic package is low because our sectors require experience if a person wants to get well paid so if you will search for IIFM Alumni they are highly paid but after when they get experienced...And also we have recruiters like Renewable Woods, Olam etc. which pay more than 20-30 lacs per annum but you should meet their criteria so IIFM will provide you the expected platform and then it's upto you...Hope I answered your query!!!

Well guys, something not related to admissions but a part of IIFM!!!

Dear Puys,
Warm greetings from Indian Institute of Forest Management, Bhopal !!!
The Entrepreneurship Development Cell - EDC of IIFM cordially invites you to
The Social B-Plan Competition at Daksh 2012.
Anyone can start a small business., but to be one of those businesses that succeeds and continues to flourish isn't so easy. So if you have such business idea, then here is the best opportunity.
Daksh is a unique business plan competition where students from various
institutes and organizations across the globe would be invited to demonstrate their
business acumen by developing sustainable, marketable and economically viable business plans
For details about rules and regulations for registration, kindly check the concept note attached.
Regards,
Team EDC
Indian Institute of Forest Management, Bhopal

What exactly is micro finance

is it a part of PGDFM only or there is a separate course for microfinance

please elaborate.

@curiousboy

Hi, as banks are for corporates same way Microfinance is for those who don't have any money but want to generate livelihood for themselves and others.

You can google it to get the details.

Now it depends on batch for fifth term you have to choose specialization and electives so if 10 or more guys opt for it then it will get floated otherwise not. But there are other subjects too which deal with microfinance directly or indirectly but there is no separate course for microfinanace!!!

Hope it solved your query!!!

@amitmaheshwari Thanks for the reply

So that means the course offered is PGDFM only and we learn forest management,microfinance etc in this course.

@curiousboy

Yes the course offered is PGDFM only but the specializations are

1. Development Mangement
2. Environment Management
3. Conservation & Livelihood

In IIFM you will get exposure to General Management, Rural Management, Forest Management and Environment Management. Details regarding the subjects will be provided in Brochure.

Briefly, In IIFM where you will study core sectoral subjects at the same time you will deal with General management subjects like Financial Management, Marketing Management, Supply Chain Management, Operations, Market research, MCS etc....

So once you will be in market after your PGDFM it's upto you how do you sell yourself as a Corporate Manager with additional inputs on emerging issues or as a Sectoral Manager!!!
ďťżName- Rohit
BE mech
2 yearsand 3 months work ex
from-mumbai .
As i want to do career in rural managements(not necessarily but want to contribute and develop rural area) .looking for inst providing this kind of course
IRMA
XLRI AND others.
Recently gone through iifm website as my coaching inst advised me to fill the form.So gone through iifm website AND found

sorry for asking complicated questions but as a student and before applying to college need to know.

my question is why the cutt-off of iifm is so low 75 percentile for GEN and 60 perc for obc .
i know cuttoff is lower limit but there must be guys betn 76,77,78 perc range?
i have also seen prev years cuttoff they were more by 8 percentile .
also i know weitages as 70-cat.
20-interview
10-GD
i know a lot is dependent on interview but it is not biased right
as with good answers and our interest in joining b-school u can get good marks.

My question is quality of education and placements becoming low... As there is decrease in cat percentile by 8 percents. abt placemets saying 100% perc is ok . Almost all colleges that were strated betn 1980 have 100% placement....and i know from prev threats that this placement fig are less when compared to actual Package.Package is not important for me but organization that are coming for placement is imp as it will be my important step leaving engineering job and studying 2 years getting management job. none of organization mentioned in website are fimilar a part from some environment and banking sector? what is profile of job offered. are profile of job offered are decreasing so compared to prev years ..

Real question for us is cutt off of all other colleges are increasing .... why that of iifm is decreasing?
are less stduents applying to this college because of decrease in good profile offered ?

NO offense to guys like me working in IT COMPANIES..
(pls dont mentioned information abt work ex guys. as we have tcs guys having 3 years we have 10 infosys guys .every other b-school is full of them.per as i know guys like mech ,entc apart from COMPUTER and IT does not belong those company as they cant handle work pressure (esp -coding and software development jobs) and they ARE working as software tester for so long.They want to leave job as my friend was working with infosys . he is my senior in college same stream .and was working as software test engineer for 4 years....so leaved his job for post grad in management in MICA )

pls give ur sincere opinion ...
ďťż
@nguesswho Hi..first of all it is wonderful to see you researching so much before beginning a new career, and it is important too mainly for guys who are coming with work experience.
Now talking about IIFM and the fall in its cutoff and all.See one of the main reasons why this is happening is the lack of marketing and selling the brand name and gaining profits from it which almost all the Institutes do these days and so people like you who are thinking of shifting are not adequately informed about this wonderful institution to study in.As a result the application number is falling and so naturally the cutoff too.But let me tell you it no way infers that the quality of students or even the college is being compromised here.I feel pity that you are yet to be a part of IIFM coz only then you will get to know the real IIFM.
As far as companies coming and job profiles offered, let me tell you there is no relation whatsoever in the quality of jobs offered and the fall in the cutoff.Companies coming(find the det to offer jobs are all well versed with IIFM and its brand and so finally it is our interest and passion which is the sole decider of the kind of companies or profiles we are getting.So be clear there is nothing as such a degradation in the quality of job profiles offered here is happening.
Now getting into IIFM highly depends on your interest and drive to work in this sector.And so the interview part plays a vital role in one's selection/rejection.Profs here are damn experienced with a few of them IFS on deputation.So one will find it too tough to bluff them during interviews.First of all make up your mind and then go after placements and cutoff issues.Just as of now all is well with IIFM and the quality of jobs people are getting of which you are worried.I understand your concern as it is hard to find IIFM's name in general public but being a part of it I can assure you it carries too much worth in the concerned sector.