[2013-2014] IIM Shillong One Year Executive Programme Discussion Thread (IIMShillong PGPEx MBIC 13-14)

Dear All,* The notification for one year executive programme of IIM Shillong, PGPEx-MBIC (PGPEx 13-14 IIMShillong) is out. Details about the course and application process can be found here: **iimshillong.in

Dear All,

The notification for one year executive programme of IIM Shillong, PGPEx-MBIC (PGPEx 13-14 IIMShillong) is out. Details about the course and application process can be found here:

http://www.iimshillong.in/pgpex

If you have any queries about the course and admission, please post them here. We will try to answer them as soon as we can.

Thank you.

Interview call is not solely based on CAT/GMAT scores. So cutoff's cannot be predicted unless we know the details of all students who apply. Please read the below document.

http://www.iimshillong.in/pgpex2013/SelectionCriteria.pdf

hi Komal,

The course is new. We are the first batch. Placement stats will be added for our batch in due course of time. We are yet to release notification in dailies. This could be a reason for non-activity. Nothing to do with popularity.

Thanks.

The married students in our batch are staying single in the campus.

@Sai_IIMShillong -The IIM shillong site is specifying that CAT/GMAT score is not mandatory for 2013-2014 batch. Then how are they going to shortlist candidates. Can u clarify doubts regarding 2013-14 admissions.

Weight-age will be given to CAT and GMAT scores. Shortlisting criteria is same as given in the below pdf:

http://www.iimshillong.in/pgpex2013/SelectionCriteria.pdf

The only change is that it is not being made mandatory for this year due to the cited technical reasons.

Hi All .. Below is the link of the students and profiles that are currently persuing PGPex.. As said by Sai .. it may not be mandatory due to technical glitches... but it adds to your score/chances for shortlisting.

As we students were 6 months in China.. We are back on Jan to India . So we failed to answer many of your queries during that period. And trust me your experience in China is the USP and crux of this course . You wont repent for that .

And as far as Placements are concerned, Many elite companies have contacted the placecomm and some people are shortlisted. Placements will continue till April . So we cant give you a definite figure of the placement statistics as of now. Second me -its ur capability and 'brand IIM' that will make the difference. ;)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiRDgdOd9KzAdDdoSTR2ZEY0TWFHUXFPQm5McG1nRFE#gid=0
@ Sai.. In deed this is a unique India China executive program..pl tell..How many months is the stay of CHina? Can you tell something about the intership experience. i went throught the website and read the names of teh chineese companies students interned..

As part of the programme one will be required to stay in China for 6 months. For 4 months classes will be held in various Chinese subjects. A 2 month internship will be done in a Chinese company. The experience was good. There are some problems like language which are addressed by the use of translators.

Thanks Sai_IIMShillong for the information, can you put some light on the courses taken in China and on what specialization IIM Shillong provides. Also how fit is this program for a gril candidate?

Below are the Chinese courses:

Chinese Module
China and the World Economy
Business Management in China
Investment in China
Marketing Management in China
Chinese Culture
Basic Chinese
Business Excursions
Corporate Lectures

Regarding the second question, there are 2 girls in our batch. How it would benefit a girl is subjective and I will leave it to your analysis.

@Sai_IIMShillong: First of all thank u very much for your time.Can you please give some stats regarding placement because your being the first batch there is no information about it.Moreover it would be helpfull if you could throw some light on the acceptability and response of the Indian company towards the course.How marketable is the IIM tag u talked about?.

Thanks again..:)

Your concern is valid. But as a policy we cannot speculate about placement statistics till the entire process is over. The placement season is going on and we will update the portal once it is done.

One will take some initial core courses in Shillong, fly to China and come back to Shillong. This is the structure we followed. However this may change based on situation.

Today I received an Email regarding IIM-S PGPEX, last date to enroll March 15, but on official website it is 25 Jan. PLease guide for this problem.

Last date is extended till March 15.

@Sai_IIMShillong said:
One will take some initial core courses in Shillong, fly to China and come back to Shillong. This is the structure we followed. However this may change based on situation.
Dear Sai,

Thanks lot for providing insights on this course from IIMS. I have two questions for you:

1. On the objective and vision page, it says that we will get certification from IIMS. Is this just a certification? Or is it a PG program for executives? The info on the website looks misleading to me. Please clarify.
2. I am not able to understand why only ppl from 5-7 years of experience are given more weight age. Now I have 8 years of experience with 2 years at onsite, will that not be a plus point? I am confused.
3. I am currently in USA so will I get a chance for Skype interview? Also, I have indian passport, so will I be considered an overseas candidate?
4. Can i not send a bank draft of Rs. 1000 to IIMS? I can ask my dad to do that.
5. I am not able to understand the score calculator for GMAT? Should there be a + sign between quant and verbal percentile, just guessing?
6. Are students accepted on sabbatical?
7. What is the average GMAT score of people accepted? Is there any ratio of candidates being accepted on the basis of CAT/GMAT?

Thanks a lot for answering. And I saw your pic on IIMS website too, looking great!

@Sai_IIMShillong said: Hi Sai..how are you?

Sai, having now spent around more than 6-7 months for this course, what is your view & feedback? Is it going as per your expectation..?

INDIAN INSTITUTES OF MANAGEMENT