[2012-2014] XAT & XLRI Official thread for queries

Dear all , This thread is confined to the preparation for XAT 2012. As almost half of students have given CAT till now, so there is good number of puys to dive into this thread at this time . After giving CAT , some of puys including me …

Dear all ,

This thread is confined to the preparation for XAT 2012.

As almost half of students have given CAT till now, so there is good number of puys to dive into this thread at this time . After giving CAT , some of puys including me have relaxed to the amount that's its getting difficult to alone start the preparation of XAT . So lets take the road to preparation for XAT together .

And for some of guys who feel that they haven't done well in CAT , targeting XAT is the brilliant option .

It's said in Bhagwat Geeta "We can only work hard , result of it lies in hands of GOD " . So lets do our duty and keep success/failure in hands of GOD.

Now, let's start sharing questions and most importantly the types of questions that are different from CAT :

Please do not post issues , you are facing in registration for XAT . There is separate thread for this .

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/xat-2012-notification-released-25069925

Let's start right away--:):):):)

Happy preparing

Also ...
please find the final version of XAT_Deciphered on page 18 of this thread .
XAT_Deciphered is a pdf made by XLRI student , which will help you in cracking XAT as well .
Feel free to download, share, mail whatever you want to do.

Regards,
ABHISHEK

Nice thread started. Last year XAT was very very difficult.
This year XAT paper will be a do-able paper and the level of difficulty will see a dip. But it will remain unpredictable as usual, but level of difficulty of quant will be altered and will be reduced.
The concepts right through the paper will remain as in previous years but they will be just applied differently.

ďťżProf Bagchi stressed on three important points.

1. Differential marking will remain. So candidates need to attack the paper not randomly but systematically. Questions will be tricky and unpredictable but not tough. Prof Bagchi suggests that candidates find the easy questions and do them first. Do not just attempt any question, but have a strategy to find the ones which are do-able and those which should not be attempted. If candidates take a gamble, they should be aware of the risks.
  2. Reading Comprehension will remain and follow the same pattern as in the previous years, except for a few alterations. Candidates need to understand the ideas contained in the paragraphs rather than just reading it through
  3. Analytics and Decision Making questions will see some changes. A clear drift from the game questions and more into business situations. Candidates will be well prepared for these if they are update with the newspapers and what is happening in crucial sector such as environment and politics. It is often seen that even if the questions are related to simple and general topics like environment, they are not attempted. In the bargain, scoring questions are left un-touched, added Prof Bagchi

All the best aspirants.

Source: Pagalguy Article

Requesting all XL puys and senior puys to pour in with the way to go ahead for xat with just a couple of months to go

almost made it to xl 2 years ago.this time i am back with a vengeance.
the level of difficulty is definitely high in xat,english i would say is on par with cat but quants is definitely a tad higher.

looking for some inputs from xat veterans and seniors.

Godspeed

I have found that students are not allowed to get paper out of examination hall .So getting difficulty finding actual XAT papers may be tough . I have found analysis of some of previous years XAT papers . Seniors , please pour and guide us to start our preparation for XAT .

^ i remember being allowed to take the paper in 2010.dont know if thats changed though.

can u post the pdf of xat 2011 paper .i have heard that it was the toughest till date .it will b good if we analyze it here.

Hey guys.
Great initiative to start this thread. I was searching the forum for one such place to discuss about XAT. Hope the seniors and other aspirants give their inputs and we can start preparing together. :)

Coming to what I want to know,
I screwed CAT this year.:banghead:
So, XAT is my hope. But I do not know how to go about preparing for it.
What are the areas that I should concentrate more on? How different from CAT should the preperation be?

Thank in Advance
Lista

freakosapien Says
can u post the pdf of xat 2011 paper .i have heard that it was the toughest till date .it will b good if we analyze it here.

hey i have uploaded the Xat 2011 paper with solutions. Hope it helps

cheers
wickedjoker
hey i have uploaded the Xat 2011 paper with solutions. Hope it helps

cheers
wickedjoker

-------------------------------------------------
hey i need xat 2007 paper...can some1 provide me ?

hi puys...
i remember being in the same boat as u are.. i will be starting with a few tips.
1. The best thing about xat is that it lets u choose questions which u wanna do..last year 6-7 marks in quant would have fetched 85 %ile shows u the kind of competition and toughness.
2. Quant of xat is tough...plz go through geometry, Probability, P&C; and statistics...apart from various topics prepared for cat.. remember u need to be choosy...focus on modern maths if u are done with earlier topics.
3. For english read diverse topics...it can range from diverse topics as psychology to supply chain management...
4. The lr is very different..its more of decision making...practice all past years papers...and try and get hold of mocks from time. ims and cl for practice..
5. Critical reasoning is also a part...u can get hold of GMAT official guide...it can be a good starting point.

the paper is tough and it will test your patience and ability to work under pressure which is very much required at Xlri...
go ahead ..i will talk to my batch mates and we would try and help u as much as we can..
Do well.

-------------------------------------------------
hey i need xat 2007 paper...can some1 provide me ?

Found the original paper for XAT 2007 paper . Attaching it
IF you have other year paper for XAT , then do share on this thread .

thanks a lot to the thread starter...

coming to the point, does anybody have any definitive idea about how to tackle AR-DM section...my experience tells me that this section has to be dealt quite delicately as more than often this section turns out to be the decider...

@seniors- any book , source, reading material to practice these case studies kind of qn and situational problems.any help will be grateful..

thanks in advance

amit

thanks a lot to the thread starter...

coming to the point, does anybody have any definitive idea about how to tackle AR-DM section...my experience tells me that this section has to be dealt quite delicately as more than often this section turns out to be the decider...

@seniors- any book , source, reading material to practice these case studies kind of qn and situational problems.any help will be grateful..

thanks in advance

amit

For Tackling DM ques , I have heard about a very useful book "101 Ethical Dilemmas " . I am also searching for this book . If anyone finds it , do share it please .
Also DM is very important area for XAT .

Seniors and fellow puys, plz guide what to do for the questios related to grammar section, previous year it was very difficult for me atleast?

according to you people what should be done in the remaining days?

Found the original paper for XAT 2007 paper . Attaching it
IF you have other year paper for XAT , then do share on this thread .

Some previous papers have fun :)

Actual paper of 07,08,09,10 have been uploaded.

in previous post have uploaded actual xat 11 paper also

cheers
joker
For Tackling DM ques , I have heard about a very useful book "101 Ethical Dilemmas " . I am also searching for this book . If anyone finds it , do share it please .
Also DM is very important area for XAT .

the book only has scenarios with no prescribed solutions as such. So imo, you can read the book for your own "enlightenment", but I am not sure about the tangible benefits. 😃

Lets begin with some decision making questions . Practicing here will be best bet .

Q1. sneha malhotra recently started working as a software engineer in a development centre of a fortune 500 IT services giant.based on her consistently improving performance,her manager decided to increase his reponsibilities and as part of these additional reponsibilities,she had to speak directly to the on-site swedish clients, gather requirements from them and communicate these requirements to her fellow developers.however,since this was her first time talking, she did not understand the heavy swedish accent of the person talking to her and as a result could only undertsand the requirements in bits and pieces.

how would sneha handle this situation?

(1) she would explain the entire episode to his manager and let the manager decide best way to handle the situation.

(2)she should communicate whatever she has understood of the requirements while filling up the gaps based on her experience with the functioning of the module.

(3)she should call up the client one more time and ask her to state the requirements once again and also ask her to send a mail about the discussion that lists the key areas.

(4)she should tell her manager that she is not ready for additional responisibiloties as she has not undergone an accent training program designed for people who handle overseas program.

(5) she should sit down with her colleagues,explain the issue to them and fill up the gaps in her requirement analysis with their help and collective experience.

Q2.Seema was a finance manager in an MNC and felt that gender discrimination at the workplace hampered her career growth. Frustrated, she quit the job and started a company. While starting her company, Seema decided that she would have equal proportion of males and females. Over the last six years, Seema emerged as a very successful entrepreneur and expanded her business to eight locations in the country. However, Seema recently started facing an ethical dilemma because she realized that female employees were not willing to travel across cities and work late hours, as the work required them to do so. Male employees did not hesitate undertaking such work. Seema started to feel the pressure of reducing the proportion of female employees. On the other hand, she is aware that equal representation was one of the strongest reasons for her to have founded the company. What should she do as a conscientious female entrepreneur?
(1) See if unwilling female employees could be given assignments which do not require travel and involve less overtime.
(2) Reduce the number of female employees, as it is a business requirement. She should not let anything affect her business.
(3) Let the status quo continue.
(4) Henceforth hire only male employees.
(5) She should close the business.

Hi Puys, Theres a thread already running for AR-DM discussions for XAT 2012 . The link is here

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/xat-2012-ar-dm-discussions-25070901