[2012-2014] Public Policy and Management (PGPPM), IIM Bangalore

Dear Prospective Students, We are 2011-2013 batch students of the Public Policy and Management (PGPPM) course at IIM Bangalore and will be more than happy to share our experieces so far and clarify any questions you may have. *Quick…

Dear Prospective Students,

We are 2011-2013 batch students of the Public Policy and Management (PGPPM) course at IIM Bangalore and will be more than happy to share our experieces so far and clarify any questions you may have.

Quick Summary of the Course:

The PGPPM course has emerged as the premier public policy programme in India. It is a unique programme designed to strengthen the public policy and managerial skills of future leaders and senior managers from the civil services, and of professionals from Social, Infrastructure and Private sectors.

The course is especially suitable for candidates wanting to work in policy making and public system. It will be of interest to professionals from NGOs, Think Tanks, Public Sector PSUs, Infrastructure and Social sectors. This program will enable them to take up key positions in the fields of policy formulation, implementation and evaluation with International and Indian agencies as well as Consultancy organizations

To find out more details about the course please visit the PGPPM section of the IIMB website at

Post Graduate Programme in Public Policy & Management - 2012-2014 | Indian Institute of Management Bangalore

Wish you all the best and looking forward to hear from you all.

Thanks and Regards,

Ashim
Shilpi
Abash
Karthik
Kavya
Harsha

To add to Ashim's comments, this course will also help you in great deal to get into Government verticals of premier consulting firms like BCG, McK, EnY, PWC and of premium IT cos like Google, Microsoft, Wipro, TCS. The IT companies are looking at e-governance very seriously now and lot of these companies are already in talks with chief secretaries of various states.

eg . Tech News - Wipro to help Maharashtra govt to tackle crime | Techgig

Hi,
Nice to open a forum exclusively for PGPPM@IIMB.
I wish to know:
a. In FAQs,it has been mentioned that batch strength for 2012-14 will be 60.May I know,is there any ratio for open and sponsored applicants.
b.No.of open applications received for this 2011-13 programme and success ratio for admission
c.GMAT score range of open applicants for the year 2011-13.
d.Placement details for the open applicants of previous batch.

Regards
P.Rajasekar

Here are your answers :

a. In FAQs,it has been mentioned that batch strength for 2012-14 will be 60.May I know,is there any ratio for open and sponsored applicants.

There is no such ratio. Considering the demand and better admin facilities, the number of seats have been increased. It all depends on the quality of the profiles in that particular year as the quality of students can't be comprised under any circumstance.

b.No.of open applications received for this 2011-13 programme and success ratio for admission
There were around 200 apps received by the office and after the interview rounds, finally 6 joined.

c.GMAT score range of open applicants for the year 2011-13.
Some came through CAT also. There are 3 students who came thru GMAT in range of 680-740. But GMAT is not the only creteria, work ex and SOP plays an important role.

d.Placement details for the open applicants of previous batch.

In my opinion you should first look at the need and suitability of the program rather then on placements and CTC.
I understand that is important but first is why do you want to pursue your program and what are you expecting from it.
As the number of open candidates is limited here, the placements for us don't happen like that for PGP's or EPGP's. The placement cell look at each person's preferences and aspirations and accordingly place that person.
Prospective recruiters are banks, consulting companies ,NGO's multilateral organisations, Planning Commission, Nasscom, Crisil etc and it depends on each person's preferences.
I cant give you any numbers as ours is the first batch with a considerable number of open candidates ,till last year most of the people were on sabbatical. But there were offers from NASSCOM and many big consulting firms last year .Regarding CTC's based on the interaction we had with some seniors and recruiters ,it is on par with other 1 YEAR MBA programmes.
But I can tell you one thing that don't worry to much on the placements as being in IIM Bangalore that should not be a problem but concentrate on the relevance of the program.

Hope this helps .

Faq:In what way is the IIMB programme different from the one offered by universities abroad?

t is one public policy program which is located in a management school. We give policy as well as management inputs. Other schools are primarily economic. In fact some people shy away from us because it is a tough programme.

They get a chance to mix with civil servants from India. And civil servants get a chance to work with open candidates.

It has a strong dissertation component. It helps to build good analytical skill in policy making.

It is reasonably priced and we provide placement assistance.

We have a good Alumni network

Hi,
Sharing of your interview experiences is expected.Would you please?

Hi
I am from IT background and have 7 years of team leading & project management experience in datawarehouse & business intelligence area in healthcare and utility domain in top Indian IT firms.

Can you please suggest how this experience can be relevant and supportive for my aplication for this course ? I guess only because I now want to work in public policy domain or want to work in social sector is not enough to justify my purpose.

Thanks
Sourav

Hi,

IT experience is good to be shown in the app. But to strengthen your app, it is advised to highlight any NGO experience or any project related to govt interaction that you might have worked upon. This is needed to enforce your candidature that you're a serious applicant and your future commitments with social development wont disappoint you. YOU HAVE TO BE VERY CLEAR IN TERMS OF YOUR POST-PGPPM goal and your road map for that. IIM is just a facilitator in providing you the opportunities, rest you need to take an onus in achieving the career goal.

Hope it helps .

https://www.facebook.com/groups/117008318378336/

Sorry for the delayed response.

Regarding my interview experiences and those of others(some of which I know), the interview started with a written case and later with my post-PGPPM career goals, why PGPPM and not EPGP, why now and why the drastic shift from pvt sector to public sector. For each of the above questions, a solid justification was needed as the interviewers were the senior most in the institute. Besides this, an elaborate discussion on the budget 2011-12, growing fiscal deficit, whats there for healthcare in the budget and brief discussion on key macro economic indicators took place.

Basically, I felt there were no set questions in their mind. Its just that the discussion drivers down right from your first answer and your profile. You need to be perfectly sound in terms on what you want and why are you in that room. This is so because 1) Many interviewers think that candidate didnt get thru EPGP so he aplied for PGPPM 2) social development, public policy can be frustrating in long term due to , sometimes, frustrating govt interactions. Also, you need to be ready about what courses you'll take and tell them about your research on public policy aspects, your disseration topics you will mention in the essays.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/117008318378336/

hello everybody.. this course seems very interesting.. can anybody tell hw many national institutes r having this kind of course other than IIMB.. I saw something mentioned in IIMA website also regarding this kind of course.. though it is not running right now as I guess so....
thnx
rbenz

Hi Rbenz

IIM A used to run this course but stopped it due to some funding issues,it will get operational there in another 1-2 years time.Apart from that MDI gurgaon also has a course on public policy.

Thanks

Hi Rbenz

IIM A used to run this course but stopped it due to some funding issues,it will get operational there in another 1-2 years time.Apart from that MDI gurgaon also has a course on public policy.

Thanks

thnx for the reply..

can u plz tell approx hw many folks from open category do apply to this course.. I mean hw competitive is this one.. actually after near 6 yrs of work ex people usually look towards one yr exe courses.. though I am finding affinity for this PPM course.... so just wanted to extrapolate the chances....

thnx for the help
rbenz

We dont get hold of such info. But it is equally competitive as compared to other MBA programs running in IIMB.

Hi,
i.Would u pls elaborate the written case study at the time of interview?whether the interview will be for those who have made impressed case study or its one of the stage of selection process.

ii.My previous GMAT score taken back on 2010 is 650.Is it wise to apply with the same score to meet out the competition or shall i go for another round of GMAT for improved score?

iii.My profile:
Xth:92%
XII th:83%
B.Sc.Agri:90% (Four gold medalist)
MSc.Agri:92% (College First)
Indian Council of Agricultural Research,New Delhi based Junior Agricultural Policy Research:All India Rank No.15 out of 25 seats
Pondicherry Public Service Commission Exam for Group B-Agri officers:State Rank.No.:I

Work Exp:(Ranging from NGO to Govt.dept to public/private banking,all in agricultural policy and business)

i. Project Executive in a Leading NGO in Pondicherry U.T.:16 MONTHS
ii. Agricultural Officer ,Group B-Non Gazetted in Dept.of Agri.,Govt.of Pondicherry:46 months
iii.Assistant Manager-Agri Business in Canara Bank:24 months
iv.Senior Manager-Agri Business in Axis Bank:46 months
Played anchored role as Programme co-ordinator/Training co-ordinator for more than 20 events/programmes
Total Exp:11 years

If possible,pls.evaluate my profile and affinity for the programme.

My doubt is ,If positively ,If I have a seat at IIM-B for this PGPPM course,is there any opportunity for me to have my profession towards agro development/rural development and livelihood and poverty reduction /agricultural policy preferably in World Bank/Asian Development Bank thro placement assistance by the institute?

Many of the candidate (both present and previous batch) are from engineering background.Is there any opportunity for the person with agri background like me?

Thanks & Regards
Rajasekar

hi,

I am a 2005 IIT Bombay Btech passout with an MBA and 5 years experience in finance industry. My GMAT score is 760; currently I am working for a Private Equity firm based out of Bangalore. I would like to meet someone who is undergoing this course hopefully this weekend to get a better understanding of this course. Kindly suggest if the same is possible.

Warm regards,
Mudassar

Hi Rajasekaragri,

Regarding your query about the case study-They generally give a problem related to some PSU,like for us we were asked to comment on a decision on whether to continue a particular line of business ..it doe snot matter hat stance you take ,you have to justify it with some logical arguments.
For your next question, please note that there is no such preference, if you are planning to go for the course you have to convince the interview panel that you are serious about public policy/public management,and since you come from that background,it will not be a challenge for you.
Also regarding GMAT score,a high score is definately an advantage but they go more on the overall profile and conviction of the candidate ,so don't bother too much about it.
Pls do let us know if you have further questions..

Hi Mudassar,
All of us stay on campus,so you are most welcome to visit anytime.

Thanks

Hi Ashim and Abash,

I sent you both a PM. I would be glad if you can offer help in this regard. Also, please let me know, if I can meet you all at the campus to understand this program better.

Thanks.

Regards,
Madhukar.

Hi,

Can you let me know when will the course start?

Tina