[2012-2013] GD Topics - Current affairs

Hellos puys. I know this is a bit early to start this thread for GD topics etc.But once we start discussing topics here, it would be easy in later stages to come here and find all information at a single place. As it is a common tren…

Hellos puys.

I know this is a bit early to start this thread for GD topics etc.
But once we start discussing topics here, it would be easy in later stages to come here and find all information at a single place.

As it is a common trend, the GD topics come mostly out of current affairs.

So please continue in this thread for discussion of all the current affairs and happenings which you all think might become an important topic in b-school group discussions etc.

here's the link to previous year's thread.

http://www.pagalguy.com/forums/prep-resources/2012-gd-topics-current-affairs-t-75317

""No replies yet
Why don't you be the first to reply ?""

The Inside of Me - Why not. :grin:
A Great initiative sir. It is never early for anything. :mg:

This is the right time to start preparation for GD and GK..so start it!!!

So lets start. :mg:

yesterday i went out for dinner with some friends and we started discussing as usual about Indian economy.

the case in point was whether the decrease in economic growth numbers (IIP et al) will affect India's economy or not?

we actually discussed that India is yet to open its vast market potential in many sectors.
one such example is organised retail.

obviously we didn't reach any conclusion.

we may be wrong in our assumptions.
so i thought i should ask you this question and get to know your views on it.
@raghav507 said: So lets start.

one such example is organised retail.
obviously we didn't reach any conclusion.
we may be wrong in our assumptions.
so i thought i should ask you this question and get to know your views on it.
My views in this regards is that full fdi in retail would open new doors for Indians to excel as they did in IT...we have many enthusiastic people in India who can bring a new revolution to whatever field they get in- this is an advantage of our over populated country...if everyone gets enough opportunities to show their mettle, they will...as in IT- only engineers get a chance and hence prove themselves, but in Retail, people from other educational backgrounds- which constitutes 60-70% of our youth, can also put in their innovative ideas , bringing a new wave of reforms....which in turn would boost economy.

@[139293:raghav507]

yes definitely it will affect our economy, as we can see our economy is downgraded by standards and poor and other rating agencies ,it has created a negative impact especially on FII's.

I think main reason for this downfall in numbers is because of the lack of the consensus in present govt of india and the lack of policy making.

Many examples can be illustrated in this regard, take the case of FDI in retail , why this decision is pending in parliament since 2 years. FDI in retail will generate employment at all levels and also improve the distribution system of food supply.From this ultimately the farmer will be benefitted , who is down at hierarchy and is the least paid person in present distribution system.

Take the case of POSCO steel ,they are ready to invest 12 billion dollors in orissa to set up a steel plant but decision is also pending and wating for environmental clearances and land and other matters to be sorted out.

take case of FDI in insurance sector, in the recent survey india was rated most under-insured in world.Our indian insurance companies want to expand their base and for this they want FII's , But that decision is also pending in parliament.

So in the i want to say that the growth numbers will keep on decreasing keep on hindering the investment in india which in turn will affect our GDP. If the govt wants to consolidate its growth numbers then right environment for the investment has to created.

Gangs of Wasseypur enlightened us on how the coal industry in India changed since Britishers left till Coal India was established. In between there were all kinds of traders and locals selling this coal in the market and generating I-don't-know how much black money. I wonder, if CAG scam worth lakhs of crores can happen in today's organised coal sector, how much worth of black money it would have been produced at the peak of coal era without all modernization and awareness.

Have we learnt a lesson from there. I think, similar to what happened with coal is happening with farming sector in India. Agriculture being such a huge share holder in any market is pretty unorganized in India. Media blames middlemen the most, for eating up most of its revenue and where though consumer pays high price for farm products, conditions of farmer isn't improving.

Is FDI an answer to this? We don't know yet, but I have few examples. Let's look at FDI in restaurant sector. We allowed Dominos', Pizza Hut, McDonalds, Subway in India but did that worsen the situation of Indian restaurants? No, we came up with multi-branch restaurants like Haldiram, Bikaner, Jumbo King Vada pav, Dosa Plaza, Sankalp and many other state-wise enterprises. Has Barista unemployed Chai walas? Infact, we answered it with Indian CCD. Have Adidas, Nike, Puma stopped the selling of Bata? No, we saw a new revolutionised version of it. Have Tommy Hilfiger and Armani made Raymond and Wills out of business? Have Mercedes and BMW out-roaded Tata or Mahindra? Then why do we think to believe that FDI in retail will affect the general stores.

Currently, there is only 5% market of Indian malls in retail sector. Even if we allow FDI, it will at the max reach to 15% in near future. Also, these will be located in only one part of metro cities, which is accessible only to a part of people. Other than they cannot offer the trust, credit and flexibility that 'gali k bahar ki dukan' can offer. I am not able to understand the apprehension of cynicals.

I agree with market potential point of Mr. @raghav507, that FDI in retail is just part of it. We should also look at organizing the sectors like Agriculture and Poultry. There is a vast amount of land, which cannot be utilized due to limitation of farmers, whereas with large companies having vast potential and capital, with enough research can make any land grow whatever they like. Similarly, with large population eating meats, poultry industry can flourish well.

FDI in retail is just a start and I think it's time to start the start.

FDI in retail might increase the overall national income but the key question here is "will FDI in retail help the common man of our country". Lets see..

It will certainly create lots of new jobs both directly and indirectly in related sectors like logistics, farms etc . And as far as local unorganized retail stores are concerned, there can be some problems for them but they will continue to grow as the target customer of both are different. It will certainly provide a stiff competition to organized retailers like "future group" as they have same customer group, but as @saurav4489 has explained it won't be much of a problem.

Secondly, if it is ensured by our government that majority of goods and manufactured products are procured from our country, it will boost our manufacturing and agriculture sector. Agriculture sector which employs 50% of the work force yet contributes considerably poorly in country's GDP. FDI in detail will avoid the middleman and the farmers will be able to get there share and get rid of the old vicious cycle.
One third of the total food supply of the country rots due to inefficient supply chains, such problems will be easily eradicated by strong infrastructure and well managed service offered by foreign supply chains.
So I believe FDI in retail with adequate safeguards will act as a bane for our economy and for the common man too.
Nice going over FDI. Its really informative.What i would like to add here is why common man is misguided by the politicians? Every party knows that it is a key to improve GDP growth. And above all its helping in generating new jobs and strengthening country's infrastructure. BJP doesn't want it to come because it will put more pressure on Congress. Also Congress woke up too late and is more rigid to implement it to cover the scams that has been going under its government. FDI may improve economy but who will improve the morale of the country?Our government officials don't want to work at all then why burdening them with new reforms?
What i want to convey is that FDI in retail can put the country economy back on the track. But we should understand that only reforms cannot help every time. We have to work harder, not only for our earnings but for the country itself.I know that there are people out there who want their country to be more cleaner, richer and better place to live. But that is not going to occur itself. Everyone has to put their effort.
Sorry i diverted the topic but wanted to make sure that everybody understands that only opening your country for forign investments is not the solution But shear will to work for the country is!
well does anyone want to put thoughts into Indian universities and education curriculum?

See, all those hue and cry about FDI in Retail, is Misplaced. I get it that Some Indian Vendors will be affected, bu the one who will benefit the most will be the Aam Aadmi of this country. Now, Some people will say that the Reduced prices will inevitably lead to reduction in quality, but they are missing in a vital link: People Will have something. And something is better than nothing.

Right now in office. will post a detailed analysis at night.

I have organised a mock GD for me and few of my friends, all are welcome to join by calling in
Date: 6 Nov, 2012
Time: 9 Pm (Sharp) (Duration of 30 minutes, 5 minutes organisation and general chit chat, 15 minutes GD, 10 minutes analysis)
Access no.: www.sabsebolo.com/site/access_...
Conference id: 1689947
Pin: 1234
Mumbai
(+91) 22 39804444
Bangalore
(+91) 80 67224444
Delhi
(+91) 11 66194444
Chennai
(+91) 44 66894444
Hyderabad
(+91) 40 66244444
Kolkata
(+91) 33 66324444

This was in response to few requests around for live mock GDs between Puys..... I am no expert but your presence might change that :)

Sorry for deviating from the purpose of this thread.....
Let me face it, I am pathetic in general knowledge and current affairs, I mean really pathetic. Now that my cat is over and I have done well (I know 'doing well' is subjective) I have a lot of ground to cover, I mean serious work to be put in to the current affairs. I will have to spend 2 hours on Hindu and a an hour on economic times may be. I can imagine myself under fire in the GD and PI stage, in whatever college it may be. Now I have to understand some basic concepts of politics and economics, can some one help me with some links or 'where to learn'suggestion on the following areas ?
Please do not laugh on reading this ( I mean please …….)
I need to know the structure of our politics , like lok shaba rajya shaba , who elects this, who elects that etc.
The center is involving FDI in Retail sector , now we have two things here right? FDI .. and retail sector ,I need to get a briefover view on the types of business and the basic bisnuess and economic terms.
Stock market knowledge , yeah…iam ignorant ..
Global finance…like rupee-dollar value.. how is this actually done ….inflation…etc

@didroo said:
Sorry for deviating from the purpose of this thread.....Let me face it, I am pathetic in general knowledge and current affairs, I mean really pathetic. Now that my cat is over and I have done well (I know €˜doing well €™ is subjective) I have a lot of ground to cover, I mean serious work to be put in to the current affairs. I will have to spend 2 hours on Hindu and a an hour on economic times may be. I can imagine myself under fire in the GD

I Commend u for your bravery in admitting what you dont know. I feel a lot of people (self included) would benifit if somebody pointed in the right direction for a database of this knowledge, among other things that one should be aware of....

Perhaps @raghav507 would be kind enough to help us???

Arvind kejriwal : a politician or a activist ???

give ur view...

@lihs.niaj91 he was the activist only who lead many improving strategies for india also he left his job to start the awareness programs but now as corruption has penetrated deep in our politics,he has entered politics for the politician and i really wished for such an party in our democratic india...

@dark-phoenix i also wanted to know about these topics...please help....

i do feel that fdi would be helpful in india because of the emerging jobs with that...please aware me with the worse effects of fdi....

@Mad-Head said:
I'll post a series of post with all these information & hope will help you.
Thanks a ton dude 😃 😃