[2011] XAT and XLRI official thread for queries

Hey puys, With sumitrocks on a vacation, I hereby take the initiative of starting a new thread for XAT and XLRI preparation. With XAT falling on 2nd of January this year ( most probably ) there’s not much of time left or is there? So ppl star…

Hey puys,

With sumitrocks on a vacation, I hereby take the initiative of starting a new thread for XAT and XLRI preparation. With XAT falling on 2nd of January this year ( most probably ) there's not much of time left or is there? So ppl start pouring in your queries and we wud try our best to answer them. Rock XAT ATB guys

some important and useful links for you:

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/xat-and-xlri2010-2012-official-thread-for-queries-25043176
http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/other-...iences-bm.html ( XLRI PI Experiences (BM & PMIR))

http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/other-...different.html (How is FMS, JMET and XAT different from CAT and how to prepare differently for them??)

http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/life-b...life-xlri.html (Life@XLRI)

Get going puys.

Cheers,

The One

P.S :- Mods have been really helpful 😃

Good to know that I am posting the first question

BTW not sure if these are valid questions here.

1. I just wanted to know more about PMIR.Is PMIR a HR specific course.Can a person enroll in PMIR and still move to different domains like Consulting,IT or Finance.

1. Which foreign colleges does XL has a collaboration for going to exchange programs and approximately what percentage of students go for it.

Thanks in advance.

PS : XL and IIMC (I know they arch enemies ) are my dream colleges.Would die to be in any next year.
Good to know that I am posting the first question

BTW not sure if its a valid questions here.

1. I just wanted to know more about PMIR.Is PMIR a HR specific course.Can a person enroll in PMIR and still move to different domains like Consulting,IT or Finance.

1. Which foreign colleges does XL has a collaboration for going to exchange programs and approximately what percentage of students go for it.

Thanks in advance.

PS : XL and IIMC (I know they arch enemies ) are my dream colleges.Would die to be in any next year.

PM&IR; is an HR specific course. We have a brilliant curriculum and excellent faculty. It's the flagship and the oldest course at XLRI. Once you enroll in PM&IR; you don't have an option to chose Marketing, Finance or Operations as a specialization. But you do get to chose electives in which you can go for some of such courses. And yes, Consulting and IT profiles are offered to IR junta.

XLRI has a sound student exchange program with many universities across the globe. Last year many students went for exchange programs which happen around September.
PM&IR; is an HR specific course. We have a brilliant curriculum and excellent faculty. It's the flagship and the oldest course at XLRI. Once you enroll in PM&IR; you don't have an option to chose Marketing, Finance or Operations as a specialization. But you do get to chose electives in which you can go for some of such courses. And yes, Consulting and IT profiles are offered to IR junta.

XLRI has a sound student exchange program with many universities across the globe. Last year many students went for exchange programs which happen around September.

thanx 4 sum insight into pmir prog. , btw jus tell sumthin about bmd also and d type of personna needed 4 each pmir and bmd??
can u also giv sum advice on cracking english section f xat ??
The key to crack Xat mostly depends upon the Quant and the VA section. Try practising lot of stuff on critical reasoning . That alone will give you a great advantage in the examination. Quant section is usually the toughest . Here you can pick 12-15 questions and do them with an accuracy of 80-90%. Rest depends on how your day is.
thanx 4 sum insight into pmir prog. , btw jus tell sumthin about bmd also and d type of personna needed 4 each pmir and bmd??
can u also giv sum advice on cracking english section f xat ??

English section in XAT is unique in the sense that it has questions on critical reasoning. The general advice would be to read a lot, build your vocabulary, practice reading comprehension and solve critical reasoning case-lets.

XAT's Verbal section is also different in the sense that in XAT you cannot afford to compromise on accuracy. So no need to maximize your attempts in VA ( like people generally do in other exams like CAT, FMS etc ) just be sure of what you mark..

with the much needed XAT thread being opened up and a big thanks for the endeavour my question to the successful XAT crackers is that how should i prepare for the quant section.english and lr are okay with me,(atleast for now) though more practise is required but how to tackle the quant.saw from last few years paper that quant is a bit tough.so how should i work upon the quant section and score good marks in it.i know the syllabus is in the same lines as of CAT excepting one or two more chapters are there in XAT.

Look it depends on the course you are targetting.
QA PMIR 2010 cut-off was 80.36 percentile but for BM it was 91.31.
VA was other way around 92.60 for IR and 90.13 in BM.

My suggestion for clearing QA cut-off would be find your section of strength by attempting previous papers and work on your strength.
Ideal target would be to get to 1/3 of total questions correct and then try to reach towards 40%.

One more thing.It is very important to leave tough questions,prepare in a way that you dont waste time.

Okay, I know I shouldn't be asking this but here it goes.

Does XAT intend to pick Q's from LSAT's like it has been doing over the past few yrs

If yes then I'm on it.

i am focusing on BM only as i do not want to enter into HR domain....is this ok or m i making a mistake by deciding not to fill PMIR ??
i am a fresher...pursuing chemical engineering....

thanks

i am focusing on BM only as i do not want to enter into HR domain....is this ok or m i making a mistake by deciding not to fill PMIR ??
i am a fresher...pursuing chemical engineering....

thanks

If you're not interested in HR domain,then I won't suggest you to fill PMIR.The whole career of yours will depend on which course you take in next few years.So I'll suggest you to go by your instinct.

Hello seniors, as we have around 1-1.5 months after CAT, most of our preparation would start only after CAT. My question is can you name some areas which need a little more preparation. Like FMS needs a good command over Vocab which cannot be developed in 1 or 2 months. Are there any such topics which XAT tests us

are the calls profile-based or the depend only on XAT score?

Okay, I know I shouldn't be asking this but here it goes.

Does XAT intend to pick Q's from LSAT's like it has been doing over the past few yrs

If yes then I'm on it.

if you have the previous lsat papers then put it here..would be of great help for everyone.

Have to google them. Just heard that XAT generally gets Q's off LSAT.

There is a book called 101 ethical dilemmas...
The decision making questions are often picked from that book...

Very preciuos advice nisahnt :), can u please from where we can get that, or is there any ebook avaiable
There is a book called 101 ethical dilemmas...
The decision making questions are often picked from that book...

Thanks dude...gem of advice.
rajnihar Says
Have to google them. Just heard that XAT generally gets Q's off LSAT.

i have googled.but found only the 2007 paper from lsac website.if you find anymore make sure to post it here....
Roger Federer Says
Hello seniors, as we have around 1-1.5 months after CAT, most of our preparation would start only after CAT. My question is can you name some areas which need a little more preparation. Like FMS needs a good command over Vocab which cannot be developed in 1 or 2 months. Are there any such topics which XAT tests us

1.Critical Reasoning is one thing which makes XAT very very different from other exams.Even the RC passages are short and succinct but you always need to think in the perspective of the writer.

2.Logical Reasoning is one area which can really make or break ur XAT like it did for me last time around.THe LR section as you might be knowing is notoriously tough.

3.Since the LR questions are tough,the focus on making into the BM/PMIR list lies in the other question type namely Decision Making caselets.As nishant told 101 ethical dilemmas is one book which helps you out..(I havent got the book with me but heard of it last time around.)

4.In quants,Functions,Geometry,Permu and COmbi are the MUST DO areas...Geometry questions are usually god level in XAT

XAT is the real litmus test for one's prep.Infact,preparation for XAT would fulfil CAT needs ,not the other way around.

XAT however usually comes in the first sunday of January.So,we have two to three weeks of prep for XAT specific question types like Decision making....
So chillax ..

All the best for XAT(the awesomest exam)!!! to all... XLRI