[2011]IIFT GD/PI/Essay Discussion 2011-2013

Hi Puys, The GD/PI/Essay round of IIFT batch of 2011-2013 has started today request all the PUYs who took the 2nd round today to please pour in your experiences. Follow the format below:- Your profile:- 10th marks 12th marks Gā€¦

Hi Puys,

The GD/PI/Essay round of IIFT batch of 2011-2013 has started today request all the PUYs who took the 2nd round today to please pour in your experiences.

Follow the format below:-

Your profile:-
10th marks
12th marks
Graduation marks/Stream/College
IIFT marks
Work ex
Extra curriculars

Interview Centre:-

Essay topic:-
GD topic and a description:-
Interview:-

Any other comments regarding the conduct etc...

ATB fellas..

Regards,
Sailendra

10th marks 88.2
12th marks 93.5
Graduation marks/Stream/College Aerospace/IIT KGP/6.8
IIFT marks 37.xx
Work ex IBM / 39 months
Extra curriculars nothing much

Interview Centre:- Hyderabad

Essay topic:- India's Image in world is guided by Private initiative( para phrasing)
couldnt conclude: had to stop mid sentence :)

GD topic and a description:- Recent dcisions taken by Environment ministry will help sustainable economic growth (paraphrasing)
Nice cordial group, no aggressors at all..most of us were part of discussion.Think I did ok.
Standard format as described before in PG by many others.
Just keep an eye on Buzzar.. I came to know it was in front of me when it was being taken away..(not that many used it)
Interview:-
Super cool.
2 Interviewrs, one Maam (M) and one Sir(S),

S: Relate your B.Tech field to your work arena.

Answered and answerd gud( same qn by various ppl in last 5 yrs..never in an interview though)

S: asked about Montecarlo simulation( my answer had the word simulation a cople of times)
Ans: donno

S: Explain your work :

Talked about SAP, what is it and where my profile fits in.( should have and could ave gone a lot into it..no technical side and all šŸ˜ž

S: on Jan 25th or 26th there was sumthing about Repo rates and reverse repo rates. do you know them.dont be nervous(!!! ..i wasnt..inexplicably).and CRR

Ans : not sure..when asked to tell what i know..explained the rates( turns out they are right)

S: Sports or geo or History

Ans: Sports

S: CWG games are a blessing in disguise comment.

ANs: some funda..interest generated in youth..global image. arcane field like discus throw gaining ...

M: U mentioned Positive attitude and Organized approach.convince me why they are strengths.

Told sum thin sumtin..chris gardner ..blah blah..

M. Privatisation.what is it.

Said its where individual takes charge in Business.rather than Govt.mentioned Reliance( she said think and ans) then said..sumtin like railwways under govt..
inviting private organisations into it..shold have done much better

Thats it !!!! ( donno if its gud or bad).. Maybe i should have elaborated every ans more.
Was a very pleasant experience though. all finished in 3.5 hours !!. ATB to all..

@Vinay Can you please elaborate about bell ..... ? Can you please reply to my private message (PM ) ?

question : who decided the order in which to speak (during the round when everyone puts forth their views)
also what is the buzzer ??

10th marks 83.2
12th marks 89
Graduation marks - 7.08 (nit)
IIFT marks 42.77
Work ex 17 months
Extra curriculars - my strong point....positions, sports, papers, social work, quizzes, olympiad....yada yada (will hopefully soften the smack i might get for acads in college)

Essay - Intro (Good)
Body - para 1 -> talked about usual images of India that were percieved in west post-independence.
para 2 -> How liberalization has encouraged private players and spurred growth.
para 3 -> Don't remember exactly...more about private ...global image of india as emerging power.

conclusion - hurried but manage to finally write about govt image (cwg) and that gov. deficit needs to be countered for true potential to be unlocked.

comment -> felt i lacked examples...mediocre essay.

GD - GD topic and a description:- Recent dcisions taken by Environment ministry will help sustainable economic growth .

Nice Group...few instances where everyone talked at same time but thats bound to happen.
Made some good points, happy with gd :)....CSE associate directors observations; supreme court rulings on right to wholesome env as part of right to life, and right to life overriding right to occupation; need for sustainable dev; standoff between indian ngo's n' jairam ramesh's position at cancun; imf fund of $300 mil for renewable energy, global climate fund and role of tech; corp affairs ministry's role in tribal resettlement n' eco diversity; world social forum.

comment -> had presented a paper n' seminar on related topic...did my internship in same. My career goal was also related....so knew topic very well.

Interview

3 Profs - Middle prof who had read out rules at start of process was wearing tie with same design as mine .

Middle Prof - Your Dad studied in IIT Kanpur and you did it in NIT...
Me - (Didn't kno if i had to say something, but said something anyway o.o')...yes sir, i had the chance to study at nit and i took it.

Middle prof - Asked what you have been doing for last one year?
me: told about technology i work in, diff domains i had a chance to work in and industry certification i did.

Middle Prof - Ok, let me make a sweeping statement...it industry professionals do not make good managers...defend it.
Me: I would disagree as I feel that anyone from any field can be good managers as long as they hv qualities of becoming a manager; that is being able to provide leadership, generate ideas and convey these ideas in a proper way o.O.

Middle Prof - Do you think you have these leadership qualities.
Me - Told about positions in school and college student body....and organising event.

Middle prof - Any examples?
Me: About college fest....blah blah...

Left Prof - You have 1 yr of experience...don't you think you should work more..
Me: worked for 17 months....wanted to experience work culture and dynamics....ready for next step to move towards goals.

Left Prof - Are you clear on your goals?
Me - My why MBA answer, organisation principles, model...blah blah....being part of mechanism of contionous improvement.....(prof satisfied).

Middle Prof - Will you join IT sector after MBA?
Me: yes...if opportunity is intersting. ....Talked about core principles of my company...and about how improving system is not limited to sector or culture....i would not limit myself to the same.

Left Prof - Don't you think technical knowledge of domain is important?
Me: It is an advantage to know the sector....but basic principles remain the same....imp to be quick learner...blah blah...

Middle Prof - What does an MBA join as in your company?
Me: He would join in a position where he can be groomed to be a manager/senior manager...(prof not satisfied).

Left prof - asks again....what kind of work does he do?
Me: I have met mba's in my project who are business analysts...there are other mba's who are into an administrative role. It would depend on the profile of the person and prior work ex.
Middle prof remarks: that was the answer i was looking for..

Middle prof -> Good, Thank you.
me: thanked evryone

Comments -> no acads...i watched so many iit lectures last week from youtube ...just so i could finally do my elec eng. degree. No trade....so many stupid figures i remembered....neways will help i guess for coming gd/pi's :lookround:.

question : who decided the order in which to speak (during the round when everyone puts forth their views)
also what is the buzzer ??

iift mods....mods were friendly for our group, but i heard in another group iift mods came in 3 times saying you ppl deviating from topic (apparently fish market situation).

Also about buzzer...don't worry...1 min will pass pretty soon. I raised my hand once and was about to ask for people to speak one at a time, when they kept quiet by themselves and one person continued. 3-4 people totally ignored stapler box (our buzzer)...they acted normally as they would in a GD, external mod had to ask them to move the box to next person.

Nice article on MBA's in IT industry actually i found this mbas in it industry if someone asks about joining IT industry after mba or something similar

Buzzer is normal one which is used in Quizzes and all..whoever has it needs to moderate...i.e avoid fish market situations and avoid team from digressing...

GD runs for one hour..
first every one gets 1.5 to 2 minutes ( seated according to roll numbers) and then open forum..this is when moderator starts placing buzzer in front of some person in random .

I think, our moderator said that in Essay we are judged on our logical hought flow an command of English( not content)

GD above 2 things and content.

Buzzer is normal one which is used in Quizzes and all..whoever has it needs to moderate...i.e avoid fish market situations and avoid team from digressing...

GD runs for one hour..
first every one gets 1.5 to 2 minutes ( seated according to roll numbers) and then open forum..this is when moderator starts placing buzzer in front of some person in random .

I think, our moderator said that in Essay we are judged on our logical hought flow an command of English( not content)

GD above 2 things and content.

what are the certificates we have to take with us to the center ? are they checking the certificates? ( i don't have the UG convocation certificate, I have to take it) and what were the w'tages for different rounds ?( if they mentioned them)

Essay topic:- India's Image in world is guided by Private initiative( para phrasing)
couldnt conclude: had to stop mid sentence :)

Really? :)

Check this out! India's global image is driven by private initiative Swaminomics

Any info on weightage given to written ?

ten_lrt Says
Any info on weightage given to written ?

65% - written
10% - essay
10% - gd
15% - pi
65% - written
10% - essay
10% - gd
15% - pi

hey are they checkin the certificates ?

First, congos on a grt show! šŸ˜ƒ

A qn now-

Middle Prof - Ok, let me make a sweeping statement...it industry professionals do not make good managers...defend it.
Me: I would disagree as I feel that anyone from any field can be good managers as long as they hv qualities of becoming a manager; that is being able to provide leadership, generate ideas and convey these ideas in a proper way o.O.

The prof said something and asked u to defend it. I understood that as the candidate has to speak for the given statement - isnt that what is defending? :-S

May be u paraphrased and it conveyed the wrong meaning, jus curious šŸ˜ƒ

should i carry along my CV (not the IIFT wala) but the one i used for my campus interview..
also,when we take seat in front of the panel,should i place my file on the table or only when they ask for it ?

First, congos on a grt show! šŸ˜ƒ

A qn now-

The prof said something and asked u to defend it. I understood that as the candidate has to speak for the given statement - isnt that what is defending? :-S

May be u paraphrased and it conveyed the wrong meaning, jus curious :)

No...he asked me to defend myself...sorry for the confusion :oops:
should i carry along my CV (not the IIFT wala) but the one i used for my campus interview..
also,when we take seat in front of the panel,should i place my file on the table or only when they ask for it ?

1> You don't need to carry anything...they didn't even ask for the call letter...but then evryone brought along the usual šŸ˜› (CV/No CV doesn't really matter)

2> General rule....table is for the panelists. Just keep it with yourself, should help in keeping the hands from fidgeting :lookround:
65% - written
10% - essay
10% - gd
15% - pi

Are these numbers from past year or for this year??Where is it given..this percentage weightage?
Alex_Mahone Says
Are these numbers from past year or for this year??Where is it given..this percentage weightage?

Announced at beginning by prof that sheet with him says 10 marks - essay; 10 marks - gd; interview - 15 marks; and he said that balance 65 should be for written. But, he also said he doesn't have info in percentage terms.