[2011-2013] IIM Calcutta GD/PI experiences

All the best to everyone for their IIMC GD- interviews and please do post in your experinces.It would be good if we can use an earlier format. For the benefit of everyone concerned, please keep the format like this: PROFILE: Acads …

All the best to everyone for their IIMC GD- interviews and please do post in your experinces.It would be good if we can use an earlier format.

For the benefit of everyone concerned, please keep the format like this:

PROFILE:
Acads
X %,Board, year
XII%, Board, year
Undergrad Stream(BA, BE etc), Specialization(CS, mech etc), Percentage, Year, Institute.

Work-Ex:
Sectors, Company - Number of months

CAT (2010):
DI
Quant
Verbal
Aggregate
(category if applicable)

Extra acads :

Any other special thing abt u:

Interview & GD

Venue:
Date :
Course(PGDM/PGDCM):

GD :
Topic:
Number of Ppl present
Time:
Brief Snapshot of the discussion:
Rate your preparation(0-5):
Rate your performance(0-5):

PI:
Panel Members Intro:
Questions:
Rate your preparation(0-5):
MISC.
Any other relevant detail.

VERDICT
Request:
1. Kindly do not post anything other than your experiences of IIMC GD-PI.
2. For queries, you can visit this thread (http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/2011-2013-iim-calcutta-gd-pi-call-getters-queries-and-discussions-25061689)
3. For appreciating an interview post use thank button, or if you want to show more, use PM.

All in all, keep this thread for what is meant!

P.S.: Mods, please make this sticky!!!!

PROFILE:
Acads
X 84.13%, Maharashtra Board, year 2002
XII 81.17%, Mahrashtra Board, year 2004
Undergrad Stream B Tech, CSE from VNIT Nagpur 2008, CGPA 6.11
Work-Ex:
Sectors, IT Company Tech Mahindra- 31 months

CAT (2010):
Aggregate:99.98%ile
(category if applicable):GEN

Extra acads :

Interview & GD

Venue: Mumbai
Date : 25 Feb 2011
Course(PGDM/PGDCM):PGDM

GD :
Topic: All happy families are alike but all unhappy families are not
Number of Ppl present:8
Time:10 mins with 1 minute for each person at the end to say whatever he/she wants
Brief Snapshot of the discussion:We had 5 mins at the start to pen down our thoughts in an A4 sheet. We were supposed to write complete senntences in that sheet and that was later to be collected. First time this has come. Was an ok discussion. I entered only once. Not satisfied.
Rate your preparation(0-5):3
Rate your performance(0-5):2

PI:
Panel Members Intro: P1- Had hair like former GNR guitarist Slash. Really friendly person. P2- was younger and seemed strict.
Questions: I was the 7th person to enter(again 7th after IIM L's PI). P1 offered chocolates, biscuits and cashews. Since had eaten a chocolate before the interview, I politely declined. P1 asked the following questions.I was asked what the previous 6 people told me. Told.
Then was asked to observe a photo of Taj Mahal and asked what time of the day I thought it was clicked. Gave some fundas. Was asked about my opinion on the GD. Told.
Was asked about difference between Indian youth and youth of other countries. started answering. was interrupted and asked if question itself was flawed since lot of diversity in other countries. SO told that would be better if a specific country is mentioned and diff could then be explained properly.
Was asked about my work experience. explained my job profile to them. Now P2 ame into the picture.P2 asked me diff between IT and Computer engg. Answered since this question had been asked to someone last year as well.
P2 asked diff between hardware and software engg. Answered.
P2 tried to confuse me when I mentioned Siebel as the software my project works on. He told me to name other Data Mining software apart from Siebel. Told him it is CRM. Named a couple of them.
Then interview was over. Was 15 mins long. Felt ok. Definitely not a stress interview like L. Dunno what will happen though. Hoping for the best. Cheers. Remain calm in your interview and you will be fine.

Rate your performance(0-5):3
MISC.

VERDICT: REJECTED

P.S.: 100th post on PG. I hope it's a +ve sign :)...turns out it wasn't
PROFILE:
Acads
X 90%,maharashtra Board, year 2001
XII 93.67%, maharashtra Board, year 2003
Undergrad Stream(BA, BE etc), Dual Degree Mech IIT Bombay 6.88

Work-Ex:
ONGC 16 months

CAT (2010-11):
DI 90.08
Quant 99.55
Verbal 97.26
Aggregate 99.15
(category if applicable) NC-OBC
Calls: All except Shilong

Extra acads : NTSE, Physics Olympiad, Conference paper

GD: Mera Bharat Mahan?
We had to write a 5 minutes note on it. Then GD began. had ok GD. We had to summarise in the end in random order.

PI:
A Mid-aged Male prof P1
A Young Lady prof P2

The lady came out to call me and held the door open for me, thanked & wished her.
Me: GM sir
P1: have a seat. So, Swapnil, you have got dual degree from IIT Bombay!
Me: (with smile) yes Sir
P1: and u r working wid ONGC!
Me: (with smile) Yes Sir
P1: is ONMGC a govt company?
Me: we can say so sir, govt holds 74% shares.
P1: so do u know what 4D something is?
Me: No sir
P1: Do u know 3D something is?
Me: no Sir, I havent heard of such terminology
P1: Oh, so u r involved with technical work? have u been to Offshore?
Me: yes Sir, for almost a year
p1: So, how many days on-off?
Me: 14 days on-off sir
P1: Are u in OFF now?
Me: No Sir, I am presently working in office doing this & that..
P1: Ok. what is the price of oil and cost of production?
Me: told
P1: At what rate does ONGC sell Oil?
Me: I dont know the exact value but less than International Price!
P1: So is ONGC a profitable Company?
Me: Yes Sir, explained.
P1: Who controls these oil prices?
Me: OPEC internationally and in India Govt.
P1: sure it's OPEC?
Me: Yes, I think so Sir.
P1: but profit of ONGC is reduced as it does not sell at International prices. why do Investors invest in ONGC?
Me: It's still is a profitable company sir!
P1: Why dont people invest in other companies like BP Shell etc. ?
Me: Sir, I am not an expert in Share markets. I dont know whether i can invest in foreign companies.
P1: ok. Tell me Privatization of ONGC will help?
Me: Sir, atleast efficiency of ONGC will improve. The profit levels will also increase.
P1: Any other implications?
Me: not that I know sir.
P1: Come on..who else will be affected?
Me: Govt sir! Their revenues will decrease.
P1: any other group which will be affected?
Me: Public, as they will not get oil at subsidized rates.
P1: Ok, that is fine. ONGC was also in news recently. have u heard about this cairn-vedanta deal?
Me: Yes Sir, it's abt.................Discussion for 2 minutes

P2 takes over now...
P2: So swapnil, u have worked on rig. Can u explain to me what is Blow-out Preventor?
(Now this question was also asked to me in IIMA interview)
Me: Explained in detail about 5 minutes...
P2: Can u draw a graph of a fucntion?
Me: yeah, which function?
P2: y = 2 raised to -(X square)
Me: Drew the graph taking my time
Then Discussions on Even Odd Functions were there. She asked me whether odd functions are symmetric about anything. I said about y=-x, which is worng (got that just after coming out of interview).
That was it.

preparation: 3
Performance: 3.5-4

VERDICT: Selected

PROFILE:

Acads
X 84.8%, Maharashtra Board, year 2001
XII 86.4%, S B M Polytechnic year 2005
Undergrad Stream 63.3% B.E. K J Somaiya COE year 2008

Work-Ex:
TCS - 28 Months

CAT (2010):
99.76%ile
Any other special thing about you:

Interview & Essay

Venue: Mumbai, Dadar
Date : 01 Mar 2011, 08:30 AM

Essay/GD : I do not want to do an MBA because.....
Topic:
Number of Ppl present 8
Time: 15 mins
Brief Snapshot of the attempt:
GD Time given : 10 mins
Was a good GD. Entered twice. Good group. no fish market Everyone helping everyone else.

Everyone was asked to summarise at the end of the GD. I made the blunder of myself at the summarising part by starting with Good Evening everyone!!!!!1

PI:

P1:: A tall young guy from Legal dept.
P2:: An midle aged gentleman with Electrical Engg. background.

P1: Rajnikant!
Me: Its jaydev sir.
P1: So your name is not rajnikant?
Me: No sir. My name is jaydev, my father's name is Rajnikant :)

P1: So Jaydev, tell me something about yourself.
Me: Started the usual routine. P2 entered the room. continued with the routine.

P1: So you're into IT. can you tell me something about Application as a service?
Me: (totally clueless and after thinking for a minute) Not much sure but has it got something to do with Cloud Computing?
P1: You tell me. (Laughing)
Me: I haven't come across the term.

P1: OK. Now that you've mentioned Cloud Computing can you please explain what that is?
We had a good discussion on Cloud Computing for the next 2-3 min discussing on the advantages and disadvantages of the same.

P2: You have done a diploma and then went for your degree. Can you please explain why the decision and what are the advantages/disadvantages?
Again a good lengthy discussion on this topic for around 5 min.

P2: tell me something about your extra curriculars/Hobbies.
told them about the extra curriculars with P2 asking details for certain activities. Continued with the hobbies.
P2: What is Fantasy fiction?
Explained
P2: have you read "The little Prince"?
Me: No sir, havent read it till this point.
P2 gives the details of the books and recommends me to read the same.

P2: Is there anything about IIM C that you would like to know from us?
Me: Nothing specific at this point of time.

P2: I guess than that would be it. thank you very much

P.S.: totally unexpected, the PI lasted for around 20 min. But was fun interacting with them. All the best everyone.

Verdict: Converted

PROFILE:

Acads
X 84.13%, Goa Board, year 2002
XII 69.67%, Goa Board, year 2004
Undergrad Stream Computers 62.63%, from GEC Goa 2008

Work-Ex:
Accenture- 30 months

CAT (2010):
Aggregate:99.97%ile

Extra acads : Negligible

Any other special thing abt you: First attempt

Interview & GD

Date : 1st March 2011

GD :
Topic: "I do not want to do an MBA because..."
Number of Ppl present:8
Time: We were given A4 sheets to write about the topic in complete sentences for 5 min.
Then we were supposed to discuss the topic for 10 min.In the end each one of was asked to summarise the discussion(Brief Snapshot of the discussion:It was a decent GD.Everybody chipped in.The discussion pertained mostle to pros and cons of mba.I entered some 3-4 times.In the end I felt we managed to touch on many facets of the topic.

Rate your preparation(0-5):1
Rate your performance(0-5):4

Interview :
Panel Members Intro: P1 -a senior faculty (MIS) P2 - Someone from legal department.
On an average each interview lasted for 20-25 min.And nobody was grilled on anything as such.
I was the 7th to enter.It was less of an interview and more of a friendly conversation.
P1 started with the usual "tell me about yourself".Then seeing that I am from computer background,he asked me which was my favorite subject.Told data structures and C programming.Then he asked some 3-4 fundu quetions on the same.Surprisingly I could answer them.He was content.(The engineering wasnt a complete waste afterall :p)
Then he asked about my hobbies (I had mentioned Guitar and blogging) but not too much into it though I was hoping that he would.
He asked about my hometown in Goa(Corlim) and how far it is from panjim.Asked me from where I did my schooling(Mashel).
Told him it is a hometown of Dr.Raghunath Mashelkar as well :)
Then I asked him whether he is from Goa originally.Turned out he is ;)
P2 hardly spoke.
While the interview was going on P1 and P2 were also talking among themselves.Basically it was a very informal and chilled out interview.

Then finally they asked me the trademark "why mba".As we pondered a lot on the same topic in the GD too,I think I was able to answer it convincingly.Both seemed satisfied and I was done.
But I was not offered a toffee or anything 😞

Rate your preparation(0-5):2

MISC
The community leader Jaydev Joshi was in my group. :)

All in all a great and satisfying experience.:cheers:

(My first post on pagalguy 😃 )

VERDICT: AWAITED

PROFILE:

Acads
X 84.66%, Maharashtra Board, year 2004
XII 80%, S B M Polytechnic year 2006
Undergrad Stream 60.00% B.E. SPIT Andheri

Work-Ex:
Infosys 5 months

Interview & Essay

Venue: Mumbai, Dadar
Date : 28 Mar 2011, 1 PM

Essay/GD Topic: Middle class values are a Myth??.....

Number of Ppl present 8
Time: 15 mins
Brief Snapshot of the attempt:
GD Time given : 10 mins
Was a ok types GD. Entered twice. Good group.There was a movement when it felt like fish market .GD was not going in one direction but rather scattered among many points..

Everyone was asked to summarize at the end of the GD. I summarized in 30-40 seconds.

Rate your preparation(0-5):0

PI:

P1:: young guy
P2:: An Senior Proff

As soon as i entered P1 got up and went out :cheerio:(He was the one who was asking all the Maths and Technical stuff)

P2: So tell me first what at least 2Q that have been told to you by the previous candidates??
ME:Sir not sure but they said you were asking profile based Q
P2:ok that is 1 ,tell me 1 more.
ME:Sir I am not very sure about the exact Questions but they said basics about Maths

P2:hmm, So tell me why is budget presented ?
ME: Gave him Gyan...

P2: ok so what is the need to present it every year?
ME: Tried to explain him that Scenario changes every year so we need to have the budget every year..
P2: but we dont need budget for that , Govt can change wid out presenting budget...
ME: Still trying to defend :shock:
P2:Gave me example if Sonia Gandhi presents declares at the start of 5 years term that blah blah is our goal and moto and does not present budget every year then also we can get good financial stability
ME:(Now i thought ha bhai sahi laag raha hai :shock:) so i supported him..
P2: getting happy , so now u understand . There is no point in presenting budget every year because even if it is presented all the mentioned policies in budget are never executed .
ME: yes sir thats a flaw in our system.
P2:Yes there is a big flaw.See now taking attendance for students by a teacher is a flaw because students can proxy for other students but teacher cannot be absent so it is attendance for the Teacher..
ME:(I was stunned by hearing this ) Still gave him gyan that student should come to lectures for knowledge not for the sake of attendance.
P2:Tried to connect students example with Budget....

By this time P1 had arrived and taken his seat:sneaky:

P2 : So answere me one last question ,what do you expect from an MBA college??
ME: had already prepared for it .Gave him full details.
P2 : (Impressed)Good Expectation ,that's it from my side.You are done
P2 to P1: you want to ask anything ???
P1: No .:cheers:
ME : I am done??
P2 : Yes you are send the next person in .

Verdict: Awaited

Hi puys,
My exp:

PROFILE:

Acads
X : 85.33%, Maharashtra Board
XII: 80%, Maharashtra Board
Grad: 7.64/10, B.tech in Metallurgy @ NIT Trichy

Work-Ex:
Mahindra Auto - 40 months (Vendor management profile)

CAT (2010):
Aggregate:99.76%ile

Any other special thing abt you: Quizzes at college, many achievements at work.

Interview & GD

Date : 24th Feb 2011

GD :
Topic: "The woods are lovely dark & deep but I have promises to keep..."
Number of Ppl present:7
Time: We were given A4 sheets to write about the topic in complete sentences for 5 min.
Then we were supposed to discuss the topic for 10 min.

Brief: Was a decent GD.
Everybody chipped in.
The discussion was as haphazard as u can get.(wat else do u expect??)
I entered 3-4 times.
Far from a fish market, we were fumbling for ideas to talk on. The discussion threatened to end pre-maturely once.
Random summary by everyone. (everyone thanked the panel silently)

Rate your performance(0-5):3.5

Interview :

Yet another 2 hr long wait (after A), I was the last person.(I once contemplated changing my name. Sometimes its a disadvantage.)

I was called in for my turn. The panel was the same as the one on GD.

P1 - the lady
P2- the man

I handed over the interview forms and the verified documents to them.

P2: So tell us a little about yourself.
Me: Acads, company, profile, work ex, city, family etc (lasted 2 minutes till I was cut off by the lady)

P1: What is your job all about?
Me: Ma'am , its more about vendor management & part development. (Spoke about my job in Materials management, developing auto components, suppliers etc)

P1: (Getting more curious) So which are the vehicle projects you have worked on?
Me: Spoke about the Scorpio, Xylo, Bolero and commercial vehicles like MAxximo and Ingenio and the vehicle systems.

P2: So what are the challenges you have faced in you work?
Me:(talked about satisfying the various agencies including the designers, pricing team, supply chain, the supplier etc)

P2: Any specific challenges you can highlight?
Me: Talked about a recent challenge of developing a second supplier, upgradation, resolving critical issues.

P1: (trying to Validate my answer) Where was the supplier?
Me: Rajkot.

P1: I see you have won a few awards in quizzing. what about GK quiz, nothing?
Me: I am good at it Sir. but back in college there were many who were more competent than me. hence I dont have any objective evidence to show for it.

Took about 10 minutes on my interests

P1: Ok..So besides that, what are your interests?
Me: Blogging & Reading

P1: What do u read?
Me: Fiction

P2: Tell us about the last book that u have read.
Me: "The negotiator" by Fredrick forsyth. (Gave them the entire gist of it for 3 min.)

P2: Any 3 highlights of the book?
Me: Told

P1: But why is called the negotiator?
Me: Told

P1: So does every situation need a negotiator?
Me: told him something like , u dont need any specific person. Each situation demands certain skills or strengths and each one of equipped with those in given circumstances could act as one.

P1: So do you think Hosni mubarak was a good negotiator?
Me: Spoke about how he had to assess the ituation, the benefits and flipsides of him continuing or stepping down, needed to 'give' more than 'take' on issues like unemployment, std of living etc.

P1 & P2 nodded in affirmation

P2: So ..tell us about your blog?
Me: told them about the latest one.( One about CAT2020, which took a dig at excessive proliferation of new B-schools & institutes and their selection criteria.)

P1: So, would you have been shortlisted if we had applied a minimum criteria for 5th std marks also?
Me: Yes, I have topped in school consistently.

P2: So you think mushrooming of new institutes, as per your blog,is good or bad?
Me: Reasoned out my opinion and then came to the answer on how the management colleges should be graded & classsified, monitored over a period of time and then be given a IIM status because brands dont emerge overnight and that they take shape over the years.

P1: But if we dont have new institutes how will you give management education to people?
Me: Another reasoning on quality and parameters affecting it and employability of the students, not to generate supply by comprimising on quality etc.

P1: How do you measure quality of mba institute?
Me: Spoke on broad-based competencies & capabilities built by a institute which can be applied in practical uses and also how a quality institute provides good human capital even in face of crisis.

P2: Only capability is enough for a job?
Me: Capability, knowledge and attitude all are needed & matter equally.

P2: So M&M; selected you because of all these?
Me: Gave yet another reasoning on how there might be constraint of time & space when recruiters come to pick students in colleges, so it might not be possible to assess all these in a shortt time and some asumptions go in it like the name of the institute.

P1 & P2 look at each other and then at me and say " I think we are done"

P2: Do you have any questions?
Me: Why isnt IIM C featuring among the top 10 best b'schools in the world?

They wouldnt have expected anyone to ask it but nevertheless the lady explained how the rankings were not a credible yardstick and they had their own benchmarks

Lasted about 20 min.

MISC
Much better than the 'A' experience

A very satisfying experience.

VERDICT: Awaited

For more , visit "From the Dog's mouth": The IIM C interview experience

ATB

cheers

PROFILE:

Acads
X %,Board, year: 90.2%, CBSE- 2005
XII%, Board, year: 89.8%, CBSE - 2007
Undergrad Stream(BA, BE etc), Specialization(CS, mech etc), Percentage, Year, Institute.:
BE (Hons) Computer Science, BITS Pilani Goa Campus -2011

Work-Ex: Nil

CAT (2010):
DI: 99.46
Quant: 99.10
Verbal: 97.10
Aggregate: 99.80
(category if applicable): General

Extra acads :

Any other special thing abt u: Not much. Had some district level Basketball and district level Swimming

Interview & GD

Venue: Bangalore
Date : 2nd March
Course(PGDM/PGDCM): PGDM

GD :
Topic: Relevance of budget in a liberalised economy
Number of Ppl present: 8
Time: 10 mins
Brief Snapshot of the discussion: Went pretty well. Pitched in 2 or 3 points with some good content. The GD didn't descend into chaos and everyone got enough time to speak. The panel asked everyone to summarise in a random order.
Rate your preparation(0-5): 3
Rate your performance(0-5): 3

PI:
Panel Members Intro: 3 Profs. As most of the time they were speaking together I'll use just one dummy variable P1 to address all the profs.
Questions:
P1: So tell me why do you want to join an IIM right now, as a fresher? What value addition do you bring compared to a guy with 3-5 yrs workex?
Me: blah blah

P1: Some question based on the answer I'd given above regarding angel investment and asked me if I still wanted to join IIMC?

P1: Do you know any IIMC alum who's worked along the same lines as you intend to?
Me: Ajit Balakrishnan from IIMC and Sanjeev Bhikchandani from IIMA

P1: What is the meaning of your name?
Me: Blah blah

P1: So what are types of strokes in swimming?
Me: Blah Blah

P1: Talk on each for about 2 secs

P1: Who is fav swimmer? Whom do you look upto?

P1: Any Indian swimmer you know?

P1: Your grades in grad are bad... Students in our campus dont have such grades

P1: what is the derivative of x^1/2?

P1: Can you integrate logx?

P1: What is avogadro's number?

PROFILE:

Acads
X %,Board, year: 90.2%, CBSE- 2005
XII%, Board, year: 89.8%, CBSE - 2007
Undergrad Stream(BA, BE etc), Specialization(CS, mech etc), Percentage, Year, Institute.:
BE (Hons) Computer Science, BITS Pilani Goa Campus -2011

Work-Ex: Nil

CAT (2010):
DI: 99.46
Quant: 99.10
Verbal: 97.10
Aggregate: 99.80
(category if applicable): General

Extra acads :

Any other special thing abt u: Not much. Had some district level Basketball and district level Swimming

Interview & GD

Date : 2nd March

GD :
Topic: Relevance of budget in a liberalised economy
Number of Ppl present: 8
Time: 10 mins
Brief Snapshot of the discussion: Went pretty well. Pitched in 2 or 3 points with some good content. The GD didn't descend into chaos and everyone got enough time to speak. The panel asked everyone to summarise in a random order.

PI:
Panel Members Intro: 3 Profs. As most of the time they were speaking together I'll use just one dummy variable P1 to address all the profs.
Questions:
P1: So tell me why do you want to join an IIM right now, as a fresher? What value addition do you bring compared to a guy with 3-5 yrs workex?

P1: Some question based on the answer I'd given above regarding angel investment and asked me if I still wanted to join IIMC?

P1: Do you know any IIMC alum who's worked along the same lines as you intend to?
Me: Ajit Balakrishnan from IIMC and Sanjeev Bhikchandani from IIMA

P1: What is the meaning of your name?
Me: Blah blah

P1: So what are types of strokes in swimming?

P1: Talk on each for about 2 secs

P1: Who is fav swimmer? Whom do you look upto?

P1: Any Indian swimmer you know?

P1: Your grades in grad are bad... Students in our campus dont have such grades

P1: what is the derivative of x^1/2?

P1: Can you integrate logx?

P1: What is avogadro's number?

Undergrad score bad? How much was yours? What did u tell bro?:shocked:
Background :
1. 10th - CBSE Board(2002) - 92.2%
2. 12th - CBSE Board(2004) - 83.8%
3. B.Tech. Chemical Engineering - IIT Guwahati(2009) - 7.38/10
4. Work Experience - Manager, Reliance Industries Limited,Surat(20 months)
5. CAT Percentile - 99.99 (Verbal=99.95, Quant=99.67, DI=98.54)

GD Topic :
Woods are dark & deep. But I have promises to keep.
PI Session :
1. So you have lived in Guwahati and now you are in Surat. Compare the two cities? Reply-Comparison on basis of social, cultural, economic, security.
2. What are the places you have visited in NE? Reply-Shillong and Cherrapunji. Asked further about Shillong.(I mentioned Nainital in between. Why-IDK). Compare between Shillong and Nainital?
3. Why are Cherrapunji and Surat famous?
Then the discussion moved to technical topics.
4. What is your current profile?
5. What is productivity and define different types of productivity? Reply-Couldn't reply in the exact terms but in my language and when I tried to define 'human productivity'(exact term-Labour Productivity). He said 'NO' for the labor productivity answer.
6. What are heuristics?
7. What are optimization tools? Software? Platform? Reply-Couldn't come up with optimization tools but answered how I optimized my work in project.
8. So how did you do in your Operational Management Course? Reply-It wasn't in the curriculum. He said how can it not be? Reply-I took Petroleum Basics instead as elective.

At last, they asked me if I wanted to ask them anything.
P.S.:- All the replies not mentioned are the ones I answered and mostly related to subject matter.

Profile:-
X 88.6% ( ICSE )
XII 90.8%( ISC )

B Tech:- 8.28( Absolute Grading )

Cat Score:- 99.95% (GE )
Work Ex:- 6 months

GD Topic:- Silence is good but I speak to express myself( something like that )
Wrote a lot of points but sopke 3-4 times in the GD process ( least in my group )

PI
Three panelists( P1,P2, P3 )
BTW, It was a total nightmare

Lots of questions were asked
How do u rate ur performance in GD?
He belted me on that
I too made some stupid comments:splat:

Acads he asked something
Told few things
Asked my fav subject
OPtical communication I said.
Asked DWDM ,told.
Then some questions he asked no idea sir:|
So what have u studied then in optical comm.
Told him various things and abt our project
U didn't get the chip u fabricated patented???
I was like huh,no sir our results are being used by research scholars in IT-BHU
Then why leave Gs and do MBA ?
Lot of gyan ,more values and more avenues
He said but financial firms dont come to IIM C
I said still I will have diff opportunities
He said u dont know what to do just wanna join IIM C
I replies sir I wanna work in a company
He says everyone wanna does
I said but ten years down the line I wanna start something like Teach For India for that i need to wrok to raise capital and make a network
THen we had a long discussion,they were trying to prove nothing happens, ppl just come up with ideas,but I stood my ground and gave certain examples
They were still drilling me,but I countered them in every possible way ,I wouldn't bow down then :D
Finally, it stopped and might be that they were convinced or they were not,God knows

THen came the salary I had quoted
I had quoted the salary I got each month but they wanted CTC/12 figure
and they then drilled me again u quoted the wrong salary and lots of stuff :splat:
Then they asked can u afford the fees?
With ur family income and ur income will be zero
I said sir my aunt and uncle will help
okay
then they asked do u want to ask something from us?
i asked abt anything IIM C had for social activities
They told me
I was abt to leave wen they saw I had brought my passport?
Why did u bring ur passport
Sir photo identification
They all smiled simultaneously :oops:

Keep it safe they said,I just wanted to get out

The interview was worst possible but I m very happy that I stood my ground on Teach For India thing and never let them prove that I was not going to do anything or nothing can be done. Never felt so much elated

Verdict:- Hopeless.Waiting for results but if i get through it will be no less than a miracle

PROFILE:
Acads
X %,Board, year-TN Matric 89.2
XII%, Board, year-TN HSC 92.9
Undergrad Stream, Specialization, Percentage, Year, Institute. BE-CSE, 72.2%,2011

Work-Ex:
Sectors, Company - Number of months-0 months( fresher )

CAT (2010):99.61
DI - 94.65
Quant- 99.09
Verbal - 98.99
Aggregate
(category if applicable) - NC-OBC

Extra acads : Quizzes,Best manager events, Programming etc....

Interview & GD

Venue: Banglore
Date : 3.3.11
Course(PGDM/PGDCM):both
entire batch for the afternoon was juz guys.... nt a single gal

GD :
Topic:"Reality is not objective, but is socially constructed "
Number of Ppl present:11
Time:5 mins to write and 10 mins to speak
Brief Snapshot of the discussion: basically about how we percieve somethin as reality based on society.... some guys gave irrelevent pts, desperately trying to show off that they are good in current affairs. Made 4 entries, with the second one turning out to be an absolute fumble.... others were fine and my summary was certainly one of the best
Rate your preparation(0-5):3/5
Rate your performance(0-5):3/5

PI:
Panel Members Intro: P1-young prof,P2- middle age prof,P3- alumni of 1968 batch!!!!
Questions:
P2: tell me abt urself
myself: blah blah
P2: (interrupting) where r u placed??
Myself: inautix
p2: is that the highest package offered in your college
myself: no sir... microsoft offers 12.8
all : oh\!!! ms offers 13lpa???? what college are u in... (made note of college with approval)
myself: may i continue about myself sir???
p1 ya... go on....
myself: blah blah
p1: u seem to have done quite a lot
myself: yes sir... i made sure that my time was spent usefully
p2(spoke for the rest of the time) : what is ur fav subject?
me: operating system
p2: mention a few operating systems
me: mentioned but got intpo a big dispute as i mentioned that oly 3 os platforms are widely used(windows, linux and mac os) upon which all other os are built.... but p2 was shocked and asked wat abt unix.... i told that linux was improvised format of unix upon which lots of other os have built on.... he said oly unix is used in all the servers.... i said most servers use red hat, which is built on linux, which is improvised version of unix.... finally capitulated after it proved hopeless to argue....
p2: gave me a program snippet and asked output....
me; gave answer but thought a line as (%d,a) where he meant (%d,a).... gave correct ans on clarification
P2: any questions for us???
me: wat are the qualities that u'd expect from a student from a student of iimc as a faculty....
all: started jokin abt at least 75% attendance, 5.5 cgpa, nt sleepin in the class for like 5 mins
P2: again any qns for us?
me: screwed myself, by mentioning that i was expecting more questions from the panel and was surprised that the interview was nearin its end...did so, as i thot that it was juz 10 mins since i entered.... bt it had been 20 mins that was the usual time...
P2: no prob... i'll give u qns... wats the eqn of a straight line...
me; done
p2: wats the slope of the line?
me: done
p2: intercepts?
me: done.
p2: diferentiate it.
P2: what do u get?
me; slope and explained it...
p2: integrate it bak
p2: y do u include C after integration??
me: explained.
p2: wat is integration??
me: area under curve
p2: on integrating the slope, u got the eqn back, without the const... prove, that the area beneath the eqn of slope is given by the eqn of st line, as u get one on integrating the other...
me: blanked out....worked out for 2 mins, but couldn,t find.... admtted that i cant solve....
P2: k no prob... you may leave now.....
Rate your preparation(0-5):no idea
Rate your performance(0-5): no idea
MISC.
freshers, brush up acads for sure.... and maths too....my interview was pure acads....

today had my IIM C interview - Monarch Luxor, March 4th

GD topic:- Knowledge is power and Power corrupts..
NOTE:- we were asked to jot down points, in a sheet, which we will speak in the GD
This is not an essay..
im not sure why they asked us to write points in this fashion.. and the papers were collected in the end..
5 mins for writing points.. followed by GD for 10 mins.. in the end 1 minute for every one to speak on the topic to express whatever u feel or wanna say..

3 members (2 girls n a boy) tried to start the GD at the same time.. but a lady withdrew herself.. n this boy (Champ) gave the opportunity for the girl to start..
@Champ - "brilliant move' I say.. you will get some benefit for being courteous..
most of us kept speaking .. but this Champ was like hez come from a different planet.. he was quoting some fiction movies n authentic facts .. this felt like some extra-terrestrial stuff for all of us.. haha.. at this moment i knew the panel already decided one one member..

Interview :- First person to enter.. panel was very charged up.. as expected..
im mentioning a jist of it.. coz there were too many small length questions asked..

3 members in the interview - S1(acads).. S2(staring..n serious questions) .. S3(alumina member.. spoke coolly)

S1 started off with "what is IC Engine".. types of engines..
wht is Wind tunnel..-- i gave a horrible answer to this one..--
S1 -what is 'Filing"
Me - i said it is to sharpen the edges...
everyone laughs..
S1 - this i can with my kitchen knife also.. then whats the use of a Workshop to do filing ??
Me- Not sure sir..
S1 - what is tapering..
Me - told..
S1 - asked about some Manufacturing industry.. n Lathe machine..
Me - told them that im not aware of industry implementations of filling or tapering etc..
S2 - (was staring at me all this while n for the rest of the interview as well) ..he started asking about types of Software testing..
i told him.. but S2 asked me some cunning questions and confused me.. i too got confused.. haha..

its S3's turn now..
S3 - he started asking all kinds of questions on Software testing.. type of it etc.. i told as much as i could..
but was confused in middle.. coz these people were asking specific questions and i was beating around the bush..
I almost entered into an argument with S3 --guys SHOULD NEVER DO THIS.. i was lost in the thick of things and went an extra mile in explaining my answers.. but they sent me 2 miles back.. haha--

S3 - ur a member of 'Erudites' club in coll.. so what do u do to make urself an 'Erudite'..
Me - blank face for few moments.. n then said 'Sir I read newspapers"..
S1, S2, S3 - laugh laugh n laugh..
S1 says then I am more 'Erudite' coz i read newspapers daily.. more laughs.. louder ones this time..
S3 explains me the meaning of 'Erudite'...
Me - almost screwed my interview till this point..
.. at this point they said its done..

thanked them and came out

Overall experience :- Was a little bit of stress interview.. extremely specific questions asked.. so if u divert a little the answer might end up being a wrong one..
i answered good number of questions but they were not quite satisfied with my answers.. (me too)
like in 'L' , here also i told off directly that 'I'm not aware' in case i didn't knew the topic..

all that i can say is..questions are completely based on ur acads n job profile.. so need to brush up basics of acads for sure...

hey vishal.. they are not checking whether the photo copies are attested ones or not.. but my suggestion would be

Education certificates - with attestation
Extra-Cirricular certificates - with or without attestation is fine..

please note:- in our 'C' form , we wrote 3 lines about District/State/National level achievements.. only these 3 photocopies are being considered for the verification under extra-cirricular..apart from the Educational certificates..

But please carry photo copies of other extra-cirri certies as well, which might be useful in PI..
all these apart from ORIGINAL Certificates..

but do your best to get ATLEAST ur Education certificates attested..

Heres my interview experience:

Bangalore, 2nd March, morning 8.30
They took more than an hour to verify all documents

GD topic: Relevance of budget in post liberalization era.
GD was ok.. the panel had warned us not to make it a fish market or you will be disqualified 😲 All the people were very civil thereafter :P

My interview was last amongst 9 people

L = left prof, C = centre prof (kinda serious), R = right alumni
M = me!

L : So you work in ??????>?>?>?> as a software engineer. (semiconductor company)
M : Yes. Blah blah, and blah. I mention I want to do marketing.
R: Do you have any marketing experience?
M: No
R: Whats your fav movie, singer, etc?
M: answered.
R: Can you aspire to be a singer then?
M: No. Dont have skill nor the will to become a singer. Singing is an art...
R: And management is a science?
M: No.. I meant management can be learnt..
R: Singing can also be learnt...
M: But I dont have a good voice..
R: How do you know?
M: I have tried participating earlier in singing competetions but no body appreciated my voice..

C: You say you want to do marketing. It involves market research which is quant heavy. Your acads are low. Especially math (all C grades) We dont think you can cope up.
M: Sir I was involved in lot of extra currics in 3rd year...
C: No even your first year grades are bad.
M: Sir I was involved in first year also. And my 10th and 12 grades and CAT score... (Cat score? Laughs all around). Anyway if non-engg background people can do well, so can I. (dunno how they took this)
R: What did you like in 12th grade math? (shit :()
M : Sir functions...
R: What is a function?
M: sir its a one to one mapping between 2 sets... (blundered!)
R: one to one??
M: I am sorry sir it can be many to one..
R: how about one to many?
M: No sir.. But all the sets in the domain must be represented..
R: Is there a name for such a thing?
M :(couldnt remember) Sir there is but I am not able to recall
C: So tell me how Will you bring this function concept in marketing?
M: (stumped).. Sir take a soap .. we sell the same soap to all people.. So its one to many...
R: But you said one to many is not a function.. tell us a function..
M: Sir take a product which is customized for each customer.. That becomes one to one..
R: how about sales and profit.. how is the relation?
M (What do you mean how is the relation) Sir Sales - spending = profit..
C: So its one to one or many to one?
M: Sir its linear so its one to one?
C: Its linear?
M: Yes sir (don't know what he was looking for). Its A-B=C . So its linear.

R: what are your hobbies?
M: Sir blogging and chess.
R: So tell me..How will you market your blog? Suppose you want us panelists to read your blog..What will you do..
M: Sir blog is mainly content driven .. blah blah.. If content is great you will come back.. other wise make a good web page.. advertise... We'll get first time readership .. but readers wont stick if the content is crap..

R: have you heard about the 6 Ps of marketing?
M: Sir I have heard about the 4 Ps..
R: tell me..
M: Sir Price, Product, Placement...
R: Placement?? (its place = distribution)
M:Yes sir.. And promotion..

All: Ok.. we are done.. you may go now..

GUYS please tell me how was it?
Verdict: Rejected.
(Doesnt matter though I got through IIM A 😃 )

literally ripped me apart.

Questions from Masters, Bachelors, Maths and Work.

:banghead:

Confirmed reject even before the results come.

Bye IIM-C, all the best to others.

Please don't ask how I was ripped apart.

Verdict:
Before Results: Reject
After Results: Wait and See if you believe in miracles.

All the best. bye

Acads
87.4%,CBSE, 2004
89.2%, CBSE, 2006
BE ECE, 6.7cg, 2010, college of engineering guindy, anna university

Work-Ex:
oil and gas, petrofac - 5 months, as of interview

CAT (2010):
DI: 99.8
Quant: 97.6
Verbal: 97.4
Aggregate: 99.83
(general)

Extra acads : had certificate for organizing department symposiums in college, but forgot to carry the original, so while verification, he wrote "no evidence" and the panelists didnt touch the topic.

got trinity coll certifications in theory of music, and keyboard (level 3).amateur guitarist.

Interview & GD

Venue: monarch luxor
Date : 3rd march 2011
Course(PGDM/PGDCM): pgdm

GD :
Topic: silence is golden, but i speak, therefore i am.
Number of Ppl present: 6
Time: 15 min
Brief Snapshot of the discussion: was probably the last to enter, but wasnt really bothered by that. made a few good points, although i stuttered at one point.luckily i was able to finish the sentence, and, as always, theres bound to be someone waiting to save you the trouble by butting in.6 ppl made for a very calm GD.
Rate your preparation(0-5):1.5 (just read newspapers in anticipation of current affairs related GD)
Rate your performance(0-5): 3.5

PI: the definition of stress interview. the hyphen in my statement indicates i was interrupted( as you all probably know).

Panel Members Intro: HR prof(young guy), quants dude( was trying to film-style stare me into submission), alumni( really old, guy, 8th batch of iimc)

Questions:
alum: so youre from bangalore?
me:no native place is chennai, its where i did my college t-
quant: delhi private school?this is not DPS, is it?
me: it is, its located in sharjah, and govt rules didnt allow them to name it public school..
quant: 10th 87, 12th 89.college 67. is that good?
me: well grading Is relative, so that is not an absolute indicator, but no its not very g-
quant: so what rank will you be?
me: two classes, and out of my class of 80, id be in the late 50s early 60s
HR: really?that bad?
me: it is a highly competitive course+college
quant: what is fourier series?
me: it expresses a func-
quant: what is the difference between that and fourier trans?
me: told him trans was var transforming, from time to frequency domain(in signal process)
but series was expressing a periodic function as sum of sines and cosines

quant: which is general?

me: im sorry sir i didnt follow

quant: which is better? in your opinion?

me: sir both have their uses, but in my field, signal processing, we use transforms to convert to freq domain.which allows us to analyse signals.so from my perspective transform is better, more general

quant: yes. and series is a specific case of transform

can you prove that?

me:i know series is specific, it only exists for functions satisfying certain conditions

quant: but you cant prove it? ok whats the periodicity of an aperiodic signal?
me: 0, sir (didnt sound confident)
quant: 0? are you sure?
me: (dont ask what went through my head) sir i think its infinity, sir.
HR: just now you said 0? how can you possibly get confused between the two?
me: sir its a peridic, so no perio is there, its either 0 or not defined ie infinity. im not sure exactly which, but in this case they convey the same idea.

HR: u said your dad was a chemical engineer? from bits and iit? where does he work/ same company?

me yes sir. the companys recruitment policy for ppl at my level is to call only interns-

HR: your dad is in your line of command?

me: no sir, he's a project manager, and spends most of his time on site, i work in the instrumentation department

HR: (totally bored, not even looking at me) your job profile?

me: said as prepared

quant: so you did your best in college?

me: no sir, honestly, i was not very focused, i could have done more.

quant: why no focus?

me: it was a little bit of a cultural shock, sir, i had grown up abroad, and wasnt very good at speaking tamil-

HR: its your mothertongue!

me: yes sir, and i understood it, in fact im much better with the language now

quant: so how is that affecting academics?

me: the college life, the concept was hard to grasp, plus the teaching even though its supposed to be in english, went to tamil on quite a few occasions, and there were a lot of -

alum: so how do you expect to focus at iim cal?youre gonna say two years i took to adjust to calcutta culture

quant: although i have to say the teaching will be in english

HR: yeah lol we dont teach in bengali

me: sir im more matured now, ive been working and clearing CAT at same time, and-

alum: you are earning so much right now, (shows others payslip)

HR: Rs.xxx, did you say?

quant: but when you graduate you wont be earning that much

me: sir its a change of field, im interested in consulting, and i gain education, knowledge an-

quant: when you graduate, you will earn 6-7 lakhs

me: sir i dont think thats relevant because-

alum: maybe even less, if hes going into consulting at a starting level

HR: but youre earning so much there, why would you want to come here?

me: sir first off, the gap in income is not as much as it seems, as things are more expensive there, compared to here, plus more importantly, im changing my field, and i get into consulting.thats what i want, i dont feel salary comparisons are relevant

HR: but you cant go back there to your family, we dont have companies coming from sharjah

me: sir i dont have to go back, im perfectly fine working in india or anywhere

HR: you plan to work and live alone?

me: sir i do that now. also. sir the loss of earnings for 2 years, i believe will be an added incentive to perform, especially if, as u say, i will have to work my way up to my pay.

alum:tell me about this music trinity coll certification?

HR: theory of music? whats that?

me: explained...

HR: so you picked up the guitar, and ur college acads failed?

me; sir no when i picked up guitar it was end of college i already had a CTS job, and then this job came along

alum: so you didnt think of considering it a career?

me: no sir i love listening to, and playing music, but im not into composing, this is strictly a hobby
my interest is academics.

alum: you say you want to go to a prestigious institution here(in the form). but then, why did you go to college of engineering guindy??

me: sir it is a prestigious univ, it was ranked top ten among engineering colls in india
it still is

quant: see, you shouldnt liw in an interview...

me: sir im serious. it is not THE top, but def in top ten

HR:after iits you mean

me: yes sir bits and nit surathkal are there too

HR: its an old college right? how old?

me: it was started in 1869

HR: 1869?

me: yes the colonial building is still used as the main building
quant: (still trying to stare me to death; he asks the other two) any questions?

alum: no

HR: no

quant: that will be all.

me: thank you sir, thnk uo.

no shaking hands, i left

Rate your preparation(0-5): 4
i really dont know.the immediate feeling i got was bad, their body language and expressions really messed with my head. but i didnt really mess up
any question in particular.

any thoughts?

VERDICT: converted

Bangalore guys...
any one had interviewed by a crazy little guy...on my interview day he was in panel 9...Was very hostile...he didnt even told his name...
killed my all chance to get in IIM-C.. now iam jst hoping for waitlist.. :oops:
i was asked to crack a joke during the interview...
poor me ..
any ne had similar experience please share

Acads
X %,Board, year : 96.8, CBSE, 2005
XII%, Board, year : 93.2, CBSE, 2007
Undergrad Stream : B.tech (EEE), NIT Trichy, cgpa 8.15

Work-Ex:
Sectors, Company - Nil

CAT (2010):
DI 99.08
Quant 97.80
Verbal 98.49
Aggregate 99.76
general

Extra acads : informatics olympiad 2007

Any other special thing abt u: nah :lookround:

Interview & GD

Date : March 7, 2011

GD :
Topic: God is an object of convenience
Number of Ppl present 9
Time: 10 mins plus 1 min for each to summarise
Brief Snapshot of the discussion: had a hard time getting into the discussion, got shouted down. entered just once, but made a valid point.:drinking:
Rate your preparation(0-5): 2
Rate your performance(0-5): 1

PI:
Panel Members Intro: L,C,R : L and C were profs and R ( )was alumnus. C was a nice guy, slightly older than L, L was rude, trying to stress me out throughout the interview.
Questions:

C : so how was ur gd ?
me : quite bad sir.
C : why ?
me : sir its a major weakness of mine, i'm a bit shy and take time to settle down in a new environment.
C : ok so u are sachin or sehwag ?:lookround:
me ( after few seconds ) : sir sachin.
me : gave some funda based on my first answer.
C : but ppl like sehwag more ?
me : yes sir, its more entertaining..
me : sir human psychology..
C :wat type of psychology is tat ?
me : errr..
C : ok if amitabh beats up bad guys why do ppl like ?
me : errrrr... sir good over evil..
C : ok which team do u support in ipl ?
me : sir mumbai indians..
C : ( sees my profile ) so u are a gujju born n brought up in chennai, but supporting mumbai ?!
me :
all of us have a hearty laugh at this.
C : ok if sehwag if thrashing ur bowlers how would u feel ?
At this point, L butts in n doesnt let me answer.
L : ok so ur dad n grandad are businessmen u can learn from them why mba ?
me : blah blah..
L : not too convinced..
me : some more blah blah blah..
L : ok tell me abt ur informatics olympiad ?
me : blah blah blah..
L :oh so u did nothing great then..
me : .. try to justify.. one of only 24 students all over india.. blah blah..
L not convinced..

now this is where i get jacked.. i had said in my career goals that its foolish to have fixed goals in a changing world. Here R finally makes an entry.
R : so wats ur major strength ?
me : sir i never get demotivated..
R : but that clashes with what u've said about ur career goals..
me : fumbled around.. couldnt answer this well.
L : dont u think its cynical of you not to have any goals ?
me : fumbled some more..
they probably realised i hadnt given much thought to this n left this topic.. now they grill me on acads..
L : so u've done comm. systems ? tell me wat is modem.
me : sir, modulation-demodulation..
thing is, we never learnt anythin in-depth and definitely not modems in comm sys, still i got grilled only on this subject..
C : whr used how it works ?
me : to connect to internet, then try to say we dint study all this..
L : wats RSJ232C jack ?
me :..
L : telephone jack..
me : ohh..
C : ok wats a thyristor ?
me : explained decently..
C : how many layers ?
me : 4, pnpn..
C : so how does it work where used ?
me : tried to explain the 2 transistor model, but got stuck couldnt do it..
me : its used in rectifiers, converters, inverters, etc..
C : but even diode can do all that..
me : sir the power and current capacities are much higher in thyristors..
C : ok..
C : (moves to my hobbies) so u solve sudoku ?
me : yes sir..
C : ever wondered how its generated ?
me : (guessing) sir maybe we design the full grid with all numbers and then delete numbers...
C : no no thats not it.. they even give difficulties na.. how ?
me ::lookround:
C : its done by solving simultaneous equations.
me : ohhh.. ok...
C : ok you may go..
me : smile n thank them n leave..

Rate your preparation(0-5): 4
Rate your performance(0-5): 2
MISC.
format for gd has changed, we are given 5 mins to jot down our thoughts, then the gd starts and the sheet is taken from us at the end..

VERDICT
got totally screwed in the interview and gd.. no hopes.. C
Rejected..