[2010] XLRI PI experiences BM & PMIR

Hi junta, On the eve before the i/w’s , I know that people would be hell lot busy preparing for the final showdown.Therefore I take this opportunity to start off the thread which would be religiously visited by us in the next few days.ALL THE…

Hi junta,

On the eve before the i/w's , I know that people would be hell lot busy preparing for the final showdown.Therefore I take this opportunity to start off the thread which would be religiously visited by us in the next few days.ALL THE BEST puys .Let's crack the big one to meet soon in the school of our dreams,

amen

Cutting and pasting from Sumit's last year post :-

Please follow the following format while posting :
Course applied for : (BM or PMIR)

Educational Profile:
X:
XII:
Undergrad Major - GPA/%age:
Any other professional certification or course undertaken:

XAT percentile:

Work profile (if applicable):
Number of years: Sector/Industry:
Special achievements at work:
Other differentiating factors (anything great that you have done in life, that's out of the ordinary):

GD Topic:
Number of participants:
Panelists' intro (if possible):
Duration:
Brief snapshot of discussion:

PI Questions:

Any other details that you think are relevant:
Request:
1. Kindly do not post anything other than your experiences of XLRI GD-PI.
2. If you like reading someone else's experiences, please use the THANK button to express that. Or, send that person a PM, instead of cluttering up the thread.

cheers,

The one

Course applied for : (BM or PMIR)-Both, todays was BMEducational Profile:
X: 81%
XII:82%
Undergrad Major - GPA/%age: 74.64%
Any other professional certification or course undertaken: no

XAT percentile: 99.73-(va-99.84,qa-91.31-lr-95.96)

Work profile (if applicable): its not
Other differentiating factors (anything great that you have done in life, that's out of the ordinary):

GD Topic:
Number of participants: no gd
Duration:

PI Questions:
Location-Loyola college Chennai
Standard notations-L,M and R-L's old, experienced and kind
M's to the point
R had long rockstar hair and didn't say much

I- excuse me sirs
L- Oh good, you were waiting outside the door were you? saves me the trouble of walking out sit sit
L- so you're a mechanical engineer from xxxx?, we get a lot of ppl from there. . where in Bang is it?
I-...
L- what is the management quota fee there? they must have more seats than demand . ,right?
I- dunno. No sir, since it became autonomous theres been a lot of demand
L- Where did you get placed?
I- Jindal steel and power
L-steel? why do they need mech engineers?
I- they also do power sir
L-okay what is heavy water?
I-H3O(its D2O) sir
L smiles sweetly and nods
L-okay name some nuke stations
I-Kalpakkam, Kaiga. . .
L-what is the breakup of hydel, nuke and thermal in terms of percentage power generation?
I- gibbered
L-okay name some hydel power stations
I-I can't sir
L- why MBA?
I- Its the way I.ve planned out my career sir, Infact i was involved in a project in my second year that was aimed at building a race-car and there I learnt. .
L cuts- who controls Maruti Suzuki?
I- :wow: Suzuki sir 51% stake
M- what is the issue with the A star?
I- sir, when the tank is filled to full capacity it starts leaking petrol into the engine compartment
L-who used to control Maruti?
I- govt. 0f India sir,
M-okay tell me what you think TATA owning land rover and Jaguar will do to their sales abroad.
I- nothing sir, I think those are famous for their names, not the owning companies. . . how many of us think of GM when we talk about the Hummer?, Jaguars sell because they're Jaguars not because or despite of who owns the brand
M-okay, what do you think A-stars recall will affect the brand image in Europe?
I- I dunno who markets t it
in Europe , depends on how they're perceived sir. . . for example- when we think of the Indica we think of a tough rugged simple car, a recall of the Indica would affect TATAs image as a maker of tough rugged cars.
L- what is the difference between carburettor and fuel injector?
I-carb.s convergent divergent nozzle. Blah.
Injectors diff., blah
Gave uses of both
L- okay is manual or automatic transmission better in terms of fuel efficiency?
I- Manual sir, explained
L-What is K series engine?
I- not a clue sir
M- what do you know about the nano?
I- 600cc. . .blah
M- who makes their engines?
I- dunno sir, I went on an industry visit to Bosch and I know that Bosch supplies Blah and Blah to TATA motors but I dont know about the engine
M- I'm done. . looks at R
R- what is the biggest cost in manufacturing a car?
I- engine's a big chunk sir, but I'd still say assembly and quality control are the biggest costs. .
R- theres been too much auto talk... laughs
I-smiled like a baboon
L M R- okay thank you
I-Thank you

Hi,

I have my interview at Chennai. It would be really helpful if you can let us know the professors names.

Thanks,

Raghuram.

XAT percentile: 99.73-(va-99.84,qa-91.31-lr-95.92)

Posting my PMIR experience @ Chennai today..
PMIR
Educational Profile:
X: 93.8
XII: 97.5
Undergrad Major - GPA/%age: 7.6/10 from MIT, Anna Univ
Any other professional certification or course undertaken: None

XAT percentile: 98.32

Number of years: 3 months at the time of interview
Sector/Industry: IT

GD Topic: Number of participants: 9 (excluding one absentee)
Duration: 15 minutes (5 minutes for individual rating, 8 minutes for group rating, 2 minutes for individual summary)
The topic was something about how land acquisition can be done in a fair manner. Options were- consulting with the stakeholders, giving jobs, monetary compensation to displaced people etc
The GD started well, with the group agreeing on the top priority, but then we lost control..we somehow managed to get the top 5 priorities before time ended
Personally, I did a good job here

PI Questions:

There were 3 professors..I'll just call them P1, P2 and P3

P2: Ok Hari, tell us about yourself
Me: Told about my schooling, college, and work...mentioned that I had been into part time CAT coaching.
P2: Oh good, so you have prepared by yourself. So what are your options? XLRI, IIM's, and then?
Me: Sir, I'm not in a position to choose b schools now. They are in a position to choose me. I will take a call after final results.
P1: So you have an open mind now.
Me: Yes sir, you can say that.
P2: Ok, you have studied in two schools. What have you learnt from them?
Me: Sir, in my second school, I was School Pupil Leader, from which I learnt a lot..I learnt about the importance of maintaining discipline, the difficulty of organizing things etc..I learnt a lot from the experience
P2: But I asked you about what you learnt in both schools. What about your old school?
Me: Sir, my old school used to encourage sports and extra-currics. But I failed to make the most of it, which I regret now. I was a closed person then. I wasn't someone who took initiatives or even mingled much with people then. I was a different person in my new school, after being made school leader and all. So, what I have learnt is that one should make the use of the resources provided. which I didn't. But then, life moves on.
P2: Ok, so you have been working with your company for 3 months. Tell us how you find it.
Me: Sir, it is a very organized company. It's systematic, and they make sure that every employee feels comfortable.
P2: What do you like most in it?
Me: Sir, they make effective use of technology. Most problems are resolved by means of intranet/internet. One doesn't even need to move out of one's place and get problems resolved.
****Over to P3****
P3: You have taught Quants and DI for CAT. How did you go about teaching DI?
Me: Sir, I would get handouts containing a certain model of problems, and I would teach how to go about that.
P1: Any specific examples?
Me: Sir, I don't remember specific caselets.
P1: Any one..
Me: I remember there was a set on inventories, about capacities and means to manage the goods efficiently
P1: Ok, you have said you read Wodehouse. What is he famous for?
Me: Humour sir; his brand of humour is very good.
P1: You have also mentioned Agatha Christie. I wonder how one can read both Wodehouse and Christie.
Me: I like both sir. I like the suspense that Christie maintains throughout her novels, and the humour that Wodehouse brings out in every line.
P1: And you have mentioned Jeffry Archer, that's another genre completely!
Me: Yes sir, he writes dramas. I can read any novel sir, as long as it grips my attention.
P1: Ok
*****Over to P1, here begins the fun 😞 ****
P1: Hari,why do you want to do HR?
Me: Sir, I find HR very exciting, as it is a very important part of any organization. It involves management and efficient utilization of the workforce. I am interested primarily in HR consulting, and wish to become an HR consultant down the lane.
P1:What are the colleges known for HR?
Me: Sir, in India, there is XLRI ..
P1: No, forget XLRI. You have come here, so you have to say XLRI, and ofcourse it is good.
P2: Any HR person you have been influenced by?
Me: No sir, none in particular.
P2: Don't you know any one HR person who is famous?
Me: No sir, I don't. But I do know the functionalities of HR..
P1: What are they?
Me: Sir, it's about managing the workforce effectively..
P1: Wait, who sanctioned leave for you today?
Me: My Project manager
P1: Who tells you what to do?
Me: My PM :(
P1: Who has to answer if you do not do your job well?
Me: 😞 😞 My PM
P1: So, where does HR come in?
Me: But HR people are directly responsible for recruitment.
P2: That isn't management. Ok, let us say, you are a production manager. There are 5 people working under you. Who would be responsible for managing them?
Me:Sir, I would, but since the size is small, I probably have to do the work of HR too. But at the organizational level...
P1: How does that matter? At any level, it's people right? If someone comes late and leaves early, who would question him?
Me: Sir, the PM is responsible for his project, and all the technical aspects. But at the organizational level, it is the HR people. Compensation and benefits for instance, is a job of HR. For instance, in my company, HR people conduct health camps regularly.
P1: What's the use of that? Your project manager would not allow you to attend it anyway.
Me: 😞 Sir, the project manager has a right to do that if work is demanding. But when I get communication about health camps, or pay hikes, I would feel that the company cares for me. That is the kind of motivation HR people can provide.
P3: Ok hari, you may leave now. All the best.

Remarks:
I think I could have done better with the 'Why HR' part. I tried to be calm and was smiling most of the time.
I hope it turns out to be good enough :)
Good luck to all 😃

Hi all,

I had my GD/PI at Loyola College, Chennai. Met quite a few puys there (sakshi & kashyap). It is very hot (I emphasize very). So guys, wearing a suit is entirely your choice.

Course applied for : Both calls (this one for PMIR)
Educational Profile:
X: 84.2%
XII: 85.4%
Undergrad Major - B.Tech (CSE)
GPA/%age: 76.78
Any other professional certification or course undertaken: quite a few

XAT percentile: 99.78 (QA 99.34, DI 99.29, VA 92.6)

Number of years: 3.5
Sector/Industry: IT (Infosys)
Special achievements at work: Topper of Infosys training
Other differentiating factors (anything great that you have done in life, that's out of the ordinary): None

GD Topic: Number of participants: 10
Duration: 30 mins
Brief snapshot of discussion: The topic was Economic slowdown and Employee layoff. 5 mins to think over and rate 8 points in order of importance. GD group was very well behaved and there were no fish market situations. Nearly all points were discussed and it finished off real fast. Finally each participant had to summarize the GD.

PI Questions:
Panelists: M Srimannarayana (P1), ISF Irudayaraj (P2), Santanu Sarkar (P3)

Me (M)

P2) Why PMIR?

M: blah blah

P2) Why not BM?

M: Sir, I have a BM call.

P2) Why did you apply to BM also?

M: After completing my study at XLRI, my interest is to work as XXXX, then XXXX and after 10-15 years XXXX. So I think in the long term, either of these courses will greatly help me. Some cross questioning on this.

P2) What will you do in PMIR?

P2) Why IT to HR?

P2) What is recession?

M: Told. Then gave example of how US economy went into recession due to sub-prime crisis.

P2) What is sub-prime?

M: Told. Sub prime crisis centered around Mortgage based securities (MBS) & Collateralized Debt Obligations (CDO).

P2) Tell me something about the economy of India.

M: Started with how agriculture is no longer the dominant sector and how India is the second fastest growing economy in the world after China. Gave the share of India's GDP and workforce for these sectors - agriculture, industry & services. Then said that by 2035, India will become the largest economy after US & China if it continued reforms in certain areas like labour laws etc

P2) Where did you get these statistics from?
M: Told

P1) Tell me about the labour laws of India.
M: IDA act of 1947.

P1) What is IDA 1947?

P1) What is the problem with IDA?
M: Approvals from Government are rarely granted. Also the World Bank has said that Indian labour laws are outdated and need urgent reform.

P1) Why are Indian labour laws outdated?
M: Sir laying off employees is not the ultimate solution...interrupted by P1.

P1) What is wrong with that?
M: It depends on the context. Jet Airways had laid off many employees but had to take them back due to pressure from some trade union.

P1) Is there any need for reforms?

M: India needs reforms so that it can grow at a faster pace than China. Then started from where the original reforms began in 1991 when due to balance of payments crisis, India had to mortgage Gold....interrupted by P1.

P2) Tell me if a person is a good performer and company policy doesn't allow him promotion due to inexperience then how will you handle this situation?

M: I will give him other benefits that are within my power. Some cross questioning on this.

P2) You wrote about mentoring people. What if the person you supervise is an excellent performer but has a negative attitude?

M: I will recommend him for behavioral training.

P3) Mr Sharma, what is your XAT score?

P3) Breakup?

P3) When is your BM interview?

M: Tomorrow sir.

P2) All the best. You may leave now. Thank you.

M: Thank you sirs!

I think I handled most of the Qs reasonably well. They asked questions from my profile and answers. Hoping for the best.

Verdict - Rejected. I think I didn't answer the why reforms Q properly. Also some of the statistics on wikipedia about Indian economy are wrong, even though they are directly quoted from CIA world factbook. Found this out after results were announced.

Regards,
M

XAT percentile: 99.73-(va-99.84,qa-91.31-lr-95.92)

Hi guys,

As seen above it will be quiet helpful if you can recognize the panelists from XL prospectus and post the same.It wud be really beneficial to ppl coming to the same venue.And for any queries pls pm the concerned person or put it up on the XLRI GD/PI thread.This thread is strictly for experiences only.

cheers,

The one
d_1 Says
As seen above it will be quiet helpful if you can recognize the panelists from XL prospectus and post the same.

The BM panel today:

Abhijit Gangopadhyay
Supriya Kumar De
Munish Thakur

Regards,
M

@mridul1

Did you have to fill in any forms? did you carry a resume along? can you elaborate a little bit on your pre interview experience (i have the same center! 😃 )

Hola puys,
One of the most awaited interviews of my 2009 season concluded yesterday. Here are the details:

Interview Date: 25th feb 2010
Interview time: 4:20 p.m.
Interview Centre: IDCR, Loyola College Chennai

Course applied to: BM
XAT percentile: 99.65

Xth: 90.2
XIIth: 92.2
B.E. : 79.9 in CSE

Work ex: 7 months in IT

Three profs in the panel. Lets call them Prof AG, Prof SKD and Prof MT. And me MP.

Prof MT: (Comes out and calls me in for the interview)
MP: Good afternoon sirs.
Profs AG, SKD and MT: Good afternoon Murali. Please take a seat.
Prof SKD: Please sign in the sheet and pass me your file

Prof AG: So Murali, you are from belgaum? Which state do u think it should be with? Karnataka or Maharashtra?
MP:Funda about Indian identity

Prof AG:But it's not wrong to have a regional identity. What do u think?
MP: As long as it is "U r OK, I am OK", it's fine. The problem is when it comes to "U r not OK and I am OK".

Prof AG: Tell me about some of the industries situated around belgaum
MP: told

Prof AG: So u have a salary of ***??
MP: Yes sir.

Prof AG: Then why leave ur company and do an MBA?
MP: Funda about changing things and being a part of the solution rather than being a part of the problem.

Prof AG: So u want to go in for politics?

Prof AG: Then why MBA? Why not a course in public administration
MP: Dealing.. They seemed convinced...

Prof AG: U did ur engineering from ****??

Prof AG: Where is it located?
MP: Told.

Prof AG: Did u watch MNIK?

Prof AG: What were your inferences?
MP: Told. Then the conversation went on about terrorists and Islam

Prof SKD: Why is China angry with India?

Prof AG: So what stand should India take? Even the US doesn't want to irk China...
MP: Spoke out being morally upright. Standing up for a cause.. Blah blah..

Prof MT:What is Japanese currency??
MP: Yen sir..

Prof AG: Why is it being said that India will take over Japan in the years to come?
MP: I'm not very sure sir. But i think Japan's an export oriented economy. Demand lessened, recession, blah blah... India is a service oriented economy with exports accounting for a minor portion of our GDP. Some more gyaan for about 2 minutes.

Prof AG: Do u know a certain someone by the name of Mr. Karat?
MP: Yes sir

Prof AG: What's his name?

Prof SKD: What is it that u do at ur job?
MP: Explained.

Prof AG: There was a fire in blore recently.. Do u know the name of the place
MP(He he.. Thanks for asking the question sir... Carlton towers mere ghar ke bagal mein hi hai...:D). Told.

Prof AG: What about the people falling from the 4th, 5th floors and dying?
MP: Spoke about panic situation and desperate measures.

Prof AG: So how could that have been avoided?
MP: Spoke about fire drills and other stuff.

Prof MT: Who do u blame for the problems in India? People,system or politicians?
MP: Spoke about it being a vicious cycle.

Prof MT: Now u r speaking like a politician... Give me one factor.
MP: Spoke about the lack of accountability of politicians..Blah blah...

Prof AG: Who are the people u look up to and why? Gimme 2 people with 2 reasons for both of them.
MP: Told

Prof AG: Who recently was forced to give up his Inidan citizenship? Which country has conferred on him its citizenship now?

Some more questions were asked which I don't remember now. The interview lasted for about 25 minutes. Overall, had a very nice experience. The profs made me feel very comfortable especially Prof AG. Hope this is good enough to land me in Jamshedpur.. Any comments seniors??

Hi,

People who are attending interview at chennai: Are you wearing suit?

Raghuram.

Hola puys,
One of the most awaited interviews of my 2009 season concluded yesterday. Here are the details:

C

Hey.. i think you did a nice job..can u tell me..wat did you answer for y IT to HR..

Heads up:

1) If a group finishes ranking the proposals with sufficient agreement between the participants...brownie points for the whole group

2) Expect questions..albeit basic ones on Org. behaviour & Labor Laws
e.g. "what is your opinion on" kind
Chennai PMIR panel seems to be a chill one ^_^

3)If any of the above Q's are asked and you don't know, say this straight away. PLEASE DONOT BLUFF.

4) A.Gangopadhyay will thoroughly test your GK. It can range from unknown to unknown

5)Please please have a decent knowledge about the place you have lived in and are currently living at along with your educational institute.
AG will at any rate have more info about these than you will ever have
especially Delhi, Mumbai and Kol!
So be prepared

All the best junta...eager to meet peeps @Jampot ^_^

P.S. The profs don't know your XAT percentile and break up. So you may be asked. They also do not know which calls one has.

P.P.S Suits are NOT necessary!

Hi,

Raghuram.

Hola puys,

C

dude, the interview is in chennai... not in chail.
Think twice before you decide to don that suit. There is no winter in chennai..it's only hot...hotter and hottest.
Hi,

Raghuram.

Hola puys,

C

Nope dude.. The sweltering heat in chennai makes u wanna tear ur shirt away. Forget the suit;). Some people chose not to wear ties as well.. So chill
Hi all,

Hi...i request you to please update your answers also..i mean not da exact thing..but just an idea..especially 2 da first 4 ques..
msmritim Says
Hey.. i think you did a nice job..can u tell me..wat did you answer for y IT to HR..

He he.. I wasn't asked bout that.. Neway.. I had applied for BM not PMIR

@msmritim,

Please try not to quote the whole experience while asking your query... this increases the page size unnecessarily and clutters the thread...

You might want to PM people for any personal opinions/questions...

Just a suggestion 😁

Posting my PMIR experience @ Chennai today
PMIR
Educational Profile:
X: 90.9
XII: 94.1
Undergrad Major - GPA/%age: 8.1/10 from GCT, Coimbatore
Any other professional certification or course undertaken: None

XAT percentile: 98.19

Number of years: 3 months at the time of interview
Sector/Industry: Analytics
Other differentiating factors (anything great that you have done in life, that's out of the ordinary): Been a part of NGO

GD Topic:
Number of participants: 9 (excluding one absentee)
Duration: 15 minutes (5 minutes for individual rating, 8-10 minutes for group rating, 2 minutes for individual summary)
The topic was like prioritizing the definitions of Corporate
Social Responsibility. I couldnt contribute much in the discussion. There were too many discussions on the top one and so we couldnt finish ranking all. I suggested we just give them high medium low ranks and not rank it numerically. I couldnt convice the group.Fnally,we just ranked some 3/4 options.
A bad start.

PI Questions:

Was the 8th person to go in. Had to wait quite a long time.( 2 and half hours to be exact) They took a break before i could go in. So had to wait more.

There were 3 professors..I'll just call them P1, P2 and P3

Me: Good afternoon sirs. ( checked out before i went in that it just crossed 12 😁 )
P2: Sorry for making you wait longer. ( He mentioned the break they took)
Me: No Not a problem.
P2: Ok Deepak, tell me who are you, what do you do and why you are here
Me: Told my native city, stuff regarding my work, my NGO activities and my passion of football. Is there anything specific do I need to say?
P2: I asked you 3 questions. Never mind leave it.( Missed a chance to say more 😞 ) So what ngo were you in?
Me: I was in a rotaract club for 4 years. I was a secretary for one year too.
P2: So what did u do over there?
Me: Spoke about it for a min or so. ( He seemed satisfied)
P2: Do you know there are dedicated courses for social work?
Me: Yes. yeah.
P2: So why dont you join them?
Me: Its a hobby of mine. I just gives me a fulfilling feeling to serve others.
P1: What is your percentile?
Me: 98.19
P1: And in quants?
Me: 81.7 (:( why cant he ask the other two sectionals )
P2: OK you want to be a corporate.
Me: YES SIR!! :D
P2: Ok why hr ?
Me: Told them how i am v much impressed with my companys hr work. It follows some great hr practices.. told them some of practices.. then i told him it made me understand the potential of a good human resource management.
P2: He was kind of satisfied.
P3 takes over
P3:You are into football right?
Me: Yes.(wow into my favorite stuff :D)
P3: So what can a manager learn from football.
Me: You mean a football manager? (
P3: No no a corporate manager?
Me: Well one thing in football is you do not set any personal goals. The entire team has just one thing in mind. Winning the match together. And thats how the manager needs to make a team with a common goal.
Another thing is in group sports( team sports i mean ) its important to have a great team bonding. And i believe that is essential in an organisation too.
P3: Ok so who is your favorite player?
Me: Frank Lampard
P3:Which team does he play in?
Me: Chelsea football player (cmon ask me tougher questions pls am an ardent football fan)
P3: You know chelsea recently lost a match. They were poor. Its a bad result for them.
Me: Yeah we lost the champions league match 2-1. But not a bad result. We have got the away goal. All that we need is to win 1-0 at home and we go through.
P3: Which team was it against?
Me: Inter Milan away
P3: Where was it played?
Me: Milan ( why did he ask this? to test if am naive? may be)
P3: Ok tell me which football club does not have a sponsor?
Me: It should be barcelona. They are owned by their own fans...
P3: He cuts me... Yes it is barcelona.
P3: So are you a fan of Swami Vivekananda? (i had written in one of my essays)
Me: Yeah very much.
P3: If he was a cult today, will you be his fan?
Me: A fan.. eh.. yeah ill
P3: So how is a fan different from a devotee?
Me: A devotee understands his master philosophy and acts. While a devotee blindly and fanatically follows his master.
P3: What fanatically?
Me: Well i may be harsh. But a little fanatic. Well i am a fan of Chelsea fc and even if am wrong i sometimes fanatically support it. Thats a fan.
P3: Ok so how is a disciple different from a devotee?
Me:(:shocked: will it ever end? ) A disciple follows his masters philosophy while a devotee may not.
P3 and P2: Is it? :wow:
P2: So can hobby be a work?
Me:( i kind of flopped here actually) Nope hobby is just a distraction from work. Its something you look forward to. It basically kind of energises you for the work ahead. blah blah ( i felt i did not put it across properly)
P2: Fine ok. ( i could sense he was not very happy with my answer)
P2: You live in Choolaimedu? Its very close from here
Me: Yes. It is.
P1: (Finally) How did u do in gd?
Me: I didnt speak much as I would. I felt they were getting too much into voicing their opinions rather than prioritise. i kind of tried to bring it back on track. But i could not. ( i felt like i was speaking like a sore loser. so tried to end on a diplomatic note) We tried our best but we could have done better.
P1: Ok fine.
P2: Thats it. Thank you.
Me: Thank you

It lasted 20 min but time just runs when you go into the interview room.
I do not expect a call from xlri.
Anyways fingers crossed

Good luck for others

Course applied for : BM & PMIR

This is for BM 25th march

Educational Profile:
X: 91.4
XII:90.5
Undergrad Major - GPA/%age: 8.56
Any other professional certification or course undertaken:

XAT percentile: 99.6

Work profile (if applicable): NA

GD Topic: Number of participants: NA
Duration:

PI Questions:

2 male panelists n a female panelist. say, X, Y, Z(female).

after entering.

i: good evening everyone.
they ask me to take a seat.
X: so u r from this college......how did u get in?
i: sir i appeared for joint entrance xam n got a rank n chose this college n stream in college.

X: is there any other way to get in?
i: yes sir. there is a 5% quota for students who appeared aieee.
x: so this college is under comes under this university?
i: yes sir.
X:there are have a great surge of engg colleges in bengal recently..right?
i: that has been the trend over the last few years.
X: but doesnt tat mean compromising with quality?
i: if the aim of the college is to provide education then it will not compromise with quality.
X: wat abt ur collge?
i: its one of the best in the uni. with my dept having the most experienced profs in the uni. n my college is still improving year after yr.
X: but its not an iit...
i: yes sir..but its not a govt. college. n it has not even completed 10 yrs n yet it has created a name for itself. we dont have the govt. spending here but still there has been an effort to turn into a quality education institute of some pedigree..
Y: (interrupts)..are companies even coming to ur college?
i: yes sir...campus recruitment is going on despite the looming shadow of recession...
Y: did u get placed?
i: yes maam.
y: where?
i: TCS n infosys
Y: so which one will u choose?
i: i havent decided yet because my aim is to complete mba b4 joining the professional sphere..this is just back up....blah blah
Y:y not get a work ex?
i: talked abt my aim ...entrepreneurship n tat mba will help me decide...blah blah
Y: u mention recession...so wats it?
i: explained the definition..she corrected it in at minor point....
Z:(all this while he was looking down on a sheet of paper n drawing something) so u r from electronics? y did u choose it?
i:told tat i was interested in it n had an aptitude in it...etc..
Z:so y did u sit for an IT job?
i: n tat we only have IT companies coming in. if there was an electronics one i wud have chosen tat.
Z: y dont u apply outside?
i:told them again tat this is just for back up n experience. n i will be doing n mba for sure
X:(interrupting) which one will u choose if u have to make a decision now?
i: i will consult with ppl...etc...but she was wanting an answer ..so told her infosys bcuz i met with some seniors who have said tat working environment there is quite good...
Z: so tell me how mobile comm works?
i: told him everything...tried to stay away from using technical terms ...
Z: ohk...now temme wat is this 3G we are hearing abt? wat does tat mean to me as a normal person
i: explained him...
X: ohk temme wat do u know abt xlri?
i: tried to impress them ..but it looked like they wanted more...

i guess tat was it...this whole thing lasted for abt 10 mins......i felt tat i havent impressed them enough ..
they kinda wanted to know abt the entry through donation in our college which i chose not to mention...he must have an idea abt it....they tried asking abt it in diff ways.....
n also abt the TCS n info thing....they were stuck on it...
i think this was probably the shortest interview.....no other questions abt extra curricular profile questionnaire essay.........
all in all not tat well....