[2010-2012] MDI Gurgaon GD/PI Experiences

Hi Puys I could not find a thread for MDI GD/PI Experiences for 2010. The process starts on the 25th of March and so I thought of starting this thread. This time around there is going to be one GD/PI for all courses - PGPM, PGPHR and PGPIM. …

Hi Puys

I could not find a thread for MDI GD/PI Experiences for 2010. The process starts on the 25th of March and so I thought of starting this thread. This time around there is going to be one GD/PI for all courses - PGPM, PGPHR and PGPIM.

Hope a lot of people post their experiences!

P.S.: A request - as far as possible, let's stick to the topic of the thread or issues directly related to it.

MDI process starts from tomorrow- 25th March 2010.

All the best to all the puys....hope all the puys become MANDEVIANS.

Plz post your gd/pi experiences in the format given below.

CAT Score:
DI
Quant
Verbal
Aggregate

PROFILE:
Acads:
X
XII
Undergrad Major - GPA/%age

Work-Ex (number of months):
Sector :

Any other special thing abt u:

VENUE:

GD Details:
Topic:
Number of Ppl present
Time:
Brief Snapshot of Discussion:
Other Salient Details: As whether summary was asked to be written or not, Time given, and other stuff.

PI Details:
Slot:
Panel Number:
Panel Members Intro:
Questions:

MISC.
Any other relevant detail.

Request to all puys
1.PLEASE POST UR EXPERIENCES ONLY.
2.Dont flood the thread with irrelevant discussions and if you want to appreciate a candidate's good performance @ gd-pi - Use THANKS tab.
3. Please post any query in the call getters discussion thread only http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/2010-mdi-gurgaon-shortlist-out-25051443
4. Please don't ask questions like ' should i wear coat/tie' or 'are they asking too much technical' etc on this thread. Kindly use the link given above for such queries.

Here are some other useful links:

2009 GD/PI Experiences
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/2009-mdi-gurgaon-gd-pi-experiences-pgpmimhr-25038520

2008 GD/PI Experiences
%20MDI%20PGPM,PGHR,PGIM%20GD/PI%20experience)"]http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/cat-an...pghr-pgim.html ( MDI PGPM,PGHR,PGIM GD/PI experience)

PS: Using the same format as used last year. Thanks to SUPER XERO for it.

can anyone please explain what is MANDEVIAN??
As far as i know it is a name probably related to MDI student's communities or something.Correct me if am wrong

can anyone please explain what is MANDEVIAN??
As far as i know it is a name probably related to MDI student's communities or something.Correct me if am wrong

A student of MDI i.e. MANagement DEVelopment institute, is called a Mandevian.

Chhavi

just came back from my mdi i/v

25th march 2pm

CAT Score: 99.72
DI 99.53
Quant 92.75
Verbal 99.52
Aggregate 99.72

PROFILE:
Acads:
X 86.4% cbse
XII 79% cbse
Undergrad Major - GPA/%age 8.71 cgpa iit-delhi

Work-Ex (number of months): 45 months as of today
Sector : Oil and Gas

Any other special thing abt u: worked for 1 year usa, comissioned and started up new refinery unit in philippines, certified internal auditor, six sigma certified, 2nd ranker in iit, lots of awards

VENUE: mdi-g

GD Details:
Topic: ipl is a purely speculative activity rather than a business proposition
Number of Ppl present: 10
Time: approx 15 min
Brief Snapshot of Discussion:
was a fish market thruout.....all 99.5+%ilers were there in d group nd bustling with energy....4 people spoke vry less or just once.....i pitched in with concrete points 4-5 times....gave a lot of stats......

Other Salient Details: in d end, group was asked to summarise in 3-5 min on voluntary basis

PI Details:
Panel Members Intro: p1 - male proff, p-2 lady proff, me

Questions:

After gd, i was d first one to be called in....here is a brief snapshot...

me: gudafternoon sir, gudafternoon madam
p2: take ur seat
P1: what do u think is more impt in a gd - talking more, talking first or talking sense
me: talking sense definitely
p1: how did the gd go
me: not very gud, lot of crosstalking gng on and it had bcome a fish market at times
p1: how do u rate group performance on scale of 10
me: 5/10
p1: so it was a bad gd?
me: no sir, it was average
p1: how was ur contribution- list +ves nd negatives
me: +ves ---i talked sense thruout, came up wid gud points, didnt participate in fish market at any pt of time.....-ves: didnt try to steer the group towards one direction, didnt take initiative to stop crosstalking
p1: giv us one suggestion to improve gd conduct?
me: probably C could be better to better see all participants
p1: then why did u ask in d begining (sternly)?
me: i didnt hav d confidence to say so (honestly)
p1: u now tell us only things which are not there in d form whatever we ask u....okay?
me: yes sir
p1: u mentioned listening music as ur hobby...which type of musi u listen to?
me: hindi bollywood music
p1: what are raaaga?
me: no idea
p1: expalin as layman
me: beats making a coherent whole soothing to the ears!!!
p1: stared a bit at me
p1: wat is ur fav song?
me (wat d heck) kiska hai yeh tumko intezaar main hun na
p1: why r u saying sir sir only...why r u not adressing madam?
me: sorry madam
p1: what is difference b/w business nd speculation?
me: gav ex of ipl bidding as speculation, told business can be both speculative and non-speculative....gave examples....no one showed any emotions
p1: what is one international controversy where indians are also involved?
me (thought a bit) then said copenhagen
p1: ok copenhagen, wwat was it?
me: did started coherently, was blurting, then regained my composure
p1: how temp is rising?
me: gave a well mugged up explanation
p1: wat u r saying is scientific explanation or scientific speculation??
me: scientific explanation of scientific speculation
p1: urban area temp is more then rural area..is this a speculation or explanation?
me: speculation
p1 gave up dere
asked p2 to ask anything
p2: only 1 question, why mba ghumake poocha
me: was taken aback a bit..started blurting something
was cut short nd question reframed
me: gave structured answer
p1: asked my other calls:
me: told
p1: i giv u 2 min...tell us anything abt urself
me: i told i want to talk abt my work...and blurted all my achivements in 2 min
p1: okay
p1: wat is diff b/w technology and machine?
me: sir
p1: dont giv me bookish defn..take ex of farmer in wb
me: took tractor as machine and high yield seads nd pesticides as technoogy and explained well...
p1: tractor is not a technology>
me: it is but not for d farmer...but it is for d company which is manufactuering it
discussed a bit more but then p1 gave up
p1: talk abt commonwealth games, is it unfair tht govt passing the buck to citizens?
me: sir it is reqd and will benefit all from the tourism etc and govt will generate revenues and can work on development activities
p1: but how urban slums will be affected by commonwealth?
me: sir indirectly benefitted
p1: how'
me: gave govt will generate revenues nd lead to development activities
p1: gav one ex of govt development activity
me: nrega in rural areas
p1: for urban slums
me: sarva shikhsha abhiyan
p1: tell us wat's tht
me: explained evrything...then told abt right to education
p1: tell me whether can someone drag govt to court if he is not able to study
me: started saying but cut immediately
p1: tell abt reservation in colleges...wat do u feel
me: vry important...else who will look after the disadvantaged......gave fundae nd then said they add diversity nd bring another perspective to the table
p1: okay u hav 4 yrs of workex and 4 yrs of college education...which one added more value in ur style of working
me: started saying both nd cut in-b/w
p1: choose one
me: told definitely college, it was d base etc etc...gav fundae then said tht company also gav me exposure to usa nd philippines etc etc but college was where i learnt to interact stayed in hostel, learnt from peers etc etc
p1: so faculty is not impt?
me: yes sir, evrything is impt...explained a bit

p1: thts it..do u want to ask anything
me: no, thanks sir.

MISC.
thts it guys, dont know how it went......would like to know ur opinion....i think i was avg in both gd nd pi...but high%ile may help......

Verdict: Awaited

Hey

dun wry at all..had a tok with the seniors today..they said scores matter the most in mdi..

so just relax chillax and listen ti hindi songs and try to focus on the raagas..

Hey

dun wry at all..had a tok with the seniors today..they said scores matter the most in mdi..

so just relax chillax and listen ti hindi songs and try to focus on the raagas..

Scores as in?? Your entrance test score or the scores in GD/PI??
sghosh07 Says
Scores as in?? Your entrance test score or the scores in GD/PI??

the entrance test scores..but then i would say to those who are still to have their gdpi...plz dun undermine the importance of gdpi..they are also important..the break up has already been announced..its 70% to cat score..
ATB

Are all topic based GDs or there are Case studies as well ....?

here is my experience

CAT Score: 257
DI 99.95
Quant 98.05
Verbal 90.99
Aggregate 99.68

PROFILE:
Acads:
XII 75
Undergrad Major - GPA/%age 73

Work-Ex (number of months): 6
Sector : manufacture

Any other special thing abt u:

VENUE: MDI gurgaon

GD Details: group of 10
Topic: IPL auction is a business prospective rather a speculative activity
Number of Ppl present 10
Time: 3 min to think, 15 min to discuss
was a nice discussion, lot of points were there. we were asked to summarize in the end for 30 seconds each.

PI Details: there were two panel members, a lady(L) and prof (P)

L: tell me something about yourself not written in the form coz two pages are not sufficient to describe you i guess.
me : told about my hobbies
P : can have your certificates .
me: sure sir
P : had a look at one of my subjects and started asked tell me 5 bio-metric instruments.
me : told 4 of them (he looked satisfied)
P: what is the latest thing you have read.
me: told about the fire in kolkata
P: so that is latest ?
me : sir actually the number of people dead is increasing, so that is latest.
both of them laughed..

P: you had electronics also in your course ?
me : sir mainly it was electrical
P: what is ohms law ?
me : told and expained it
P: what is conductivity ?
me :told
P: what is lenz law ?
me : took time to recall but told

L: how was your preformance in gd ?
me : diplomatic answer
then both of them quite for around 1 min..
P: what is your CAT %tile ?
me : told
P: where is your CAT score card (searching my file)
me : gave it to them.
P: what is the difference between commerce and business ?
me : said something
P: you mean you can do business without studying commerce ?
me : yes sir why not ? gave an example too
P: what is management ?
me : i told him some crap..
debate continued
P: what is the difference between administration and management
me : kya pooch rahe ho sir.. told somethinng
again debate

L: what are your job responsibilities ?
me : told and explained them which i feel they were not interested in

L: OK you can go..
me : thank you mam, thank you sir tata bbyee

it was a short interview for about 10 mins.

someone mentioned that the weightage to cat is 70% and it is official. Wat is the source of this info?and how do we know for wat course have we been selected? PGP,PGPHR,PGPIM? Sorry if this has been answered already but please redirect me to that link.

thesuccessstory Says
someone mentioned that the weightage to cat is 70% and it is official. Wat is the source of this info?and how do we know for wat course have we been selected? PGP,PGPHR,PGPIM? Sorry if this has been answered already but please redirect me to that link.

Hi

The following interview appeared in mbauniverse:

After taking the CAT 2009, XAT 2010 and other MBA entrance exams, the questions that are hitting your mind now and then are: How to pass the GD and PI? and What is the Admission Criteria of the MBA schools? To provide you solutions for the first question MBAUniverse.com has been publishing special series of articles and interviews. To provide answer to your second important question we are now starting with this special series of MBA Admission Criteria.
The admission criteria of the MBA schools vary. Generally, it is the written exam, followed by the Group Discussion and then the Personal Interview is conducted on the final shortlisted candidates.
This time, however, there is a change in the admission criteria and procedures followed by many of the MBA schools, especially those accepting the CAT 2009 scores. Some of the MBA schools are reportedly planning to consider factors like the consistency of past academic records, work experience etc for final selection of its students.
We start this series with the admission criteria of the Gurgaon-based MBA school Management Development Institute (MDI). This MBA school, which is ranked amongst the top 10 B-schools in India, accepts only the CAT scores for its admissions.

MBAUniverse.com recently spoke to Dr. C. P. Gupta, Chairman (Admissions), MDI Gurgaon to know about MDIs admission criteria.

Excerpts from the exclusive interview:
Q: What are the procedures followed by MDI post the written exam for selecting the final candidates who will join?
Dr. Gupta: The procedure followed by us is that every candidate is supposed to go for Group Discussion, which is not the eliminating round, and is followed by Personal Interview.
Q: What is the tentative date for the conduct of GD & PI at your MBA school?
Dr. Gupta: As we are expecting to receive the CAT 2009 results by the end of February and as we will also take some time to process and inform the candidates, it is expected that we shall start our process for GD & PI from the third week of March.
Q: How much weightage will you give to the CAT 2009 scores, GD & PI and any other factors?
Dr. Gupta: As of now, the CAT 2009 score will get a weightage of 70 per cent and remaining 30 per cent will be taken care by the following components:
-- Group Discussion
-- Educational Performance (10th and 12th Class Performance)
-- Work Experience
-- Personal Interview

Q: What is new in this years admission criteria?
Dr. Gupta: By and large, the procedure is same as last year, however, this time due emphasis will be given to consistent academic performance and the quality of work experience of the candidates.

You can check out the above interview at MDI Gurgaon, MDI MBA, MDI admission criteria / MDI to give 70% weightage to CAT 2009 scores and 30% to work experience and GDΠ, says Admission Chairman
thesuccessstory Says
someone mentioned that the weightage to cat is 70% and it is official. Wat is the source of this info?and how do .

Hi

The following interview appeared in mbauniverse:

I understand that you have questions and all but please let this thrd be only for GD/PI exp so that it becomes easy to go thru them...Please reply by PM for feedback on GD/PI and use the old thrd
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/2010-mdi-gurgaon-shortlist-out-25051443

for discussing other things...

It will be of great help..Please refrain from posting anythin else other than ur GD/PI exp in this thrd...

Hi all,
Had my gd/pi today
CAT Score: 250
DI 94.27
Quant 99.08
Verbal 97.88
Aggregate 99.40

PROFILE:
Acads:
XII 84
Undergrad Major - GPA/%age 77.5

Work-Ex (number of months): 29
Sector : IT

Any other special thing abt u: not really

GD Details: group of 6 (rest had abstained)
Topic: job security is more imp than salary and perks
Number of Ppl present 6
Time: 3 min to think, arnd 15 min to discuss
was a nice discussion, not many new points were there till the end

PI:
started with one of my extra-currics i had mentioned..then asked me a barrage of questions on who are my fav actors n all in hollywood and bollywood..then asked me how i would differentiate between Holly/Bolly..i said something to which he said that I'm discussing the business aspect of it..he asked me to comment on the acting/storylines etc..then it went on for sometime ..Here let me tell u all that I'm in no way related to the film industry neither did i mention movies as my hobbies etc..they just picked it up randomly..then they went on to ask me about my role model..why mba..then the names of a few CEOs..couldnt answer a few!! (asked me the ceo of tata steel..i just remembered ratan tata as the grp chairman but didnt remember the ceo)..n thats it! it was for around 10-15 mins(thats what the other fellows told me)..n for all the rest in my panel it was for a max of 10 mins!!
ATB to u all..!

Hi Puys.... here's my experience.......

CAT score- 255
QA-99.88
DI-99.53
VA-78.97
total percentile-99.62

X - 91.8%
XII - 89%
under grad - 74% ( BE, fresher)
work ex - 0

Venue - MDI Gurgaon
GD - topic was "impact of last budget on infrastructure facilities"
There were 11 people. was a decent gd. no fish market. everybody had a chance to put forth the points. cross talk in b/w one-two times.
lasted for around 15 minutes.

PI
I was the fourth one to be called in. there were two interviewers in the panel. The PI was all in all very general. revolved around my hobbies, family background, why mba and why mdi. they seemed very chilled out and made me really comfortable.

ATB to all!!

hiiii
ppl who have given their gd/pi....i have a question for them....do we really need to take a separate resume with us???????????and in addition to the form that mdi gave abt hobbies and my acad. certificates,,,do i need to take something else???????????????//plzzzzzz reply ASAP

MY EXPERIENCE OF THE INTERVIEW

NAME: ANKUSH
CAT Score: 260
DI 99.79
Quant 99.3
Verbal 92.10
Aggregate 99.77

PROFILE:
Acads:
X 92.6 ( SCHOOL TOPPER)
XII 79
Undergrad Major - GPA/%age 72.5

Work-Ex (number of months): 5( TRAINING SO DIDNT MENTION IN FORM)
Sector :IT

GD Details: group of 10
Topic: IPL auction is a business prospective rather a speculative activity
Number of Ppl present 10
Time: 3 min to think, 15 min to discuss
i started the discussion. it was a nice discussion, lot of points were there. we were asked to summarize in the end for 30 seconds each.

PI Details: there were two panel members , a lady(L) and prof (P) both had a very impressive personality.
i was the last one to interview.

P-u r the last one to b interviewed so u must be knowing many questions, tell me the questions.
me: told a few
P- i find the graph of your acads is going down. so in future too its expected to go down as well.
me: gave a reasonable explanation.
L: tell me something about yourself not written in the form
me : told about my family, goals, hobbies
L: m still not getting ur hobbies( i told sports),then was asked dimensions of playing fields.
L: what i do in my job?
me: told about training.
P: what is the latest book you have read.
L:-so tell me about INDIA'S perspective on global warming.
me:told about copenhagen summit
L: was the summit a failure or success
me: told about my perspective.
P: what latest in food crises in the country
me: told about inflation and how its effecting india.
L: why should we take you?
me: told abt my objectives
P: what have u heard about MDI?
P: are u in pagalguy? how does it help?
me : told
p: Will u write ur GD/PI experience in pagalguy?
me: i promise
P,L - thats all. thankyou.

i am optimistic and desperately want to be a mandevian. hope GOD fulfils my wish.

Here goes my experience. Do excuse me for not sticking to the format specified.

Venue: HMATC, Mumbai
Date and time: 27.03.2010, 2:00 PM, Panel: 5

Group discussion:
Panelists: 2 (One being Madhushree Nanda ma'am; the other I couldn't place.)
Participants: 10

Topic: Virtue of being honest is a disfavour in today's corrupt world.

Format: 2-3 minutes to think, 15 minutes to discuss. No summaries asked.

Personal Interview:
Broadly, the questions were on:
# My performance in the GD
# Low acads
# Gap after graduation
# Career goal (finance-related stuff; PM me for specifics if you wish to)
# My views on lessons from China
# My views on climate change

Lasted for about 10-12 minutes. Wouldn't call it stressful, though I felt it was more of a good-cop-bad-cop routine. Can't post the interview in a dialogue form since there were a lot of cross-questions and I don't recollect them all. If anyone is still keen, I could try, but please pursue any further queries through PM. (I'm not going to visit this thread in the near future.)

kthnxbi

Venue: HMATC, Mumbai
Date and time: 27.03.2010, 9:30 AM, Panel: 1

Group discussion:
Participants: 10

Topic: Our cities are already overcrowded and polluted.We don't need low cost cars

Format: 2-3 minutes to think, 20 minutes to discuss. No summaries asked.
Our group ran out of steam and the same points were discussed in active and passive voice but overall it was cool!!

Personal Interview:
Tell me something about you thats not there in the form
Who owns Wikipedia
Why is there low respect for Wikipedia
What did Jimmy Wales recently talk about in relation to Wikipedia
Can I find your name if i type it in Google?
Are you into social networking
A discussion on facebook and orkut
What papers do you read?
A long debate on TOI and Hindu followed
What is plagiarism
A question on Kavya Vishwanathan
My comments on White Tiger
Why are you so judgmental
A discussion on Piracy of books
I was about to be asked the next qn when the other interviewer stopped and told.. enough with ths guy.. we have got other ppl waiting outside

A very nice GD and PI.. How i wish this had happened with IIMC