[2010-2012] IIMB PGP Essay/PI Experiences

All the best to everyone for their B interviews and please do post in your experinces.It would be good if we can use an earlier format. For the benefit of everyone concerned, please keep the format like this: PROFILE: Acads X %,Bo…

All the best to everyone for their B interviews and please do post in your experinces.It would be good if we can use an earlier format.

For the benefit of everyone concerned, please keep the format like this:

PROFILE:
Acads
X %,Board, year
XII%, Board, year
Undergrad Stream(BA, BE etc), Specialization(CS, mech etc), Percentage, Year, Institute.

Work-Ex:
Sectors, Company - Number of months

CAT (2009-10):
DI
Quant
Verbal
Aggregate
(category if applicable)

Extra acads :

Any other special thing abt u:

Interview & Essay

Venue:
Date :

Essay :
Topic:
Number of Ppl present
Time:
Brief Snapshot of the attempt:
Time given :
Rate your preparation(0-5):
Rate your performance(0-5):

PI:
Panel Members Intro:
Questions:
Rate your performance(0-5):
MISC.
Any other relevant detail.

VERDICT
Request:
1. Kindly do not post anything other than your experiences of IIM B Essay-PI.
2. For queries, you can visit this thread http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/2010-2012-iim-bangalore-call-getters-discussion-25051214
3. For appreciating an interview post use thank button, or if you want to show more, use PM.

All in all, keep this thread for what is meant!

Seems I am the first one to post my experience....So here we go....
Venue:IIMB Campus
Date:March 18 2010
Time:9:00 AM

PROFILE:SAP EP Consultant

Acads
X %-Haryana Board 80%
XII%- Diploma in IT,81%
Undergrad Stream:BTech( IT) 81%
Work-Ex:22 Months
Company - TCS

CAT (2009-10):
Aggregate 99.3

Extra acads :Average

Any other special thing abt u:Went on Tata Jagriti Yatra and was in top 100 of "Economic times -Power of ideas" contest entries

Interview & Essay

Essay : Union Budget is a useless exercise and activities like recession puts it off-track
Number of Ppl present:6(Out of 9 ....3 were absent)I wondered how 3 people can be absent out of 9 people that too in IIMB's interview.Even the prof was surprised.:shock:
Time:30 Minutes(10 minutes to think and 20 minutes to write)
Brief Snapshot of the attempt:was decent ,told how recession affected and how union budget tackled it and then there was no space(1 page)
Rate your performance(0-5):Only prof can tell

PI:3 people(2 Profs ,1 Alumunus)
Questions:I will call then P1,P2 and A1(Alumunus)
I was third in my group....the essay got over by 9:40 and then we were asked to sit outside the room .The intrw started at 10:00.Now ,this you call an IIMB intrw .1st guy went in at 10:00....we are waiting outside ....the guys comes out at 10:40(yes 40 minute interview)The second guy went in ....again a 30 minute intrw .....Now I was called in at 11:15....

The prof came out and called my name ...he is still at the door holding the door opened for me....

Me:Thanks sir,GM
P1:No prob....GM
Me:Gud Mrng sirs(to P2 and A1 who are sitting inside)
They nodded their heads...
P2:Ok ...Please be sitted.....
Now the intrw starts....
P2:How should we start ...what should I ask you....
Me:Anything Sir....
P1:Ok anything....I see....Tell me the name of the place on earth which is on 0 latitude and 50 longitude...
Me:shocked....still grasping wat he asked....No idea sir
P1:Have u ever seen the world globe.
Me:Yes I saw it in class in 6th.But at that time i didnt know that 13 years later i will go for IIMB intrw otherwise i wud have seen it carefully.....all 3 started laughing......
P2:wat is a recursive function:
Me:answered
P1:What is OOP?
Me:Answered
P1:What is this Tata jagriti yatra.
Me:long gyan for 10 minutes
P2:What is this ET -Power of ideas
Me:Long gyan for 4 minutes
A1:what is ur learning from yatra.
Me:...gyan ...gyan...gyan
A1:We are not convinced...why IIMB shud take u...
Me:again gyan.....

Ok ...you can go now....we are done....

Overall it was a chilled out exp(except the first question).....both the profs and the alumunus are very cool....very relaxed.

I am confused about why he said that why IIM should take you and said that we are not convinced.

Looking at all other candiadates...I think B is a gone case for me....

Rate your preparation(0-5):Ok type
Rate your performance(0-5): Dunno

Any other relevant detail:The recos that everybody is worried abt ,you can submit them after the intrw as well....I mean at a later date....they even wont look at your recos......:cheerio:

Verdict:99.9999xxxx % NO

There were 2 pages...1 for jotting down ur ideas....another one fr the complete essay....
No you cannt use the time as per ur wish....its strict (10 mins thinking and 20 mins writing).

Regarding SOP:I guess a lot of Qs will be based or ur SOP itself...I mentioned Yatra and ET in SOP nd they asked frm that only...If ur SOP is clear nd precise ,then it will help you a lot....Justa personal perception......

Thread made sticky.

I would also suggest 1 more line to be added in the experiences

ie Verdict..

Once the results are out Puys can come & edit their respective posts & sharing the verdict which will help fellow puys to get a feel of the interviews in future.

Regarding SOP,you dont need to carry anything...They have anything on their laptop.....You just need to carry ur marksheets...extra curriculars certis......also in formals....all the guys were only in formal shirts and tie....only 1 was there with proper business suit.....

Seems I am the first one to post my experience....So here we go....
Venue:IIMB Campus
Date:March 18 2010
Time:9:00 AM

PROFILE:SAP EP Consultant

Acads
X %-Haryana Board 80%
XII%- Diploma in IT,81%
Undergrad Stream:BTech( IT) 81%
Work-Ex:22 Months
Company - TCS

CAT (2009-10):
Aggregate 99.3

Extra acads :Average

Any other special thing abt u:Went on Tata Jagriti Yatra and was in top 100 of "Economic times -Power of ideas" contest entries

Interview & Essay

Essay : Union Budget is a useless exercise and activities like recession puts it off-track

To be exact, the essay was "The union budget is a useless exercise because the schemes are not implemented and events like recession require course correction"

There was no GD...only Essay followed by PI......
You have only 1 page to write ur essay....

U cann carry the CV but they wont ask for it....U have filled everythng in ur IIMB form...They have enuf info frm that to grill u

Request:
1. Kindly do not post anything other than your experiences of IIM B Essay-PI.
2. For queries, you can visit this thread http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/2010-2012-iim-bangalore-call-getters-discussion-25051214
3. For appreciating an interview post use thank button, or if you want to show more, use PM.

All in all, keep this thread for what is meant!

We already have a thread dedicated for queries let us all use that space rather than dumping queries here and just simply increasing the no. of posts. :nono:
Else when there will be more experiences this will cause lot of problem in learning from others' experience as we'll be busy searching for the right content. Let us keep this as the place meant purely for content !
Kindly co-operate

People,let this thread be for GDPI experiences only.For other questions regarding the process,post on this thread:

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/2010-2012-iim-bangalore-call-getters-discussion-25051214

For personal queries,please PM the concerned user.

Deleted all the irrelevant posts.

Guys till date just one post for experince...Come on guys pour in details of ur day,,,

common guys...atleast post some essay topics...m havin my interview on 25th....
ededdyneddy Says
common guys...atleast post some essay topics...m havin my interview on 25th....

yes...I'm having it even earlier...on 24th....come on puys post something!!
PROFILE:
Acads
X %,Board, year : 91 CBSE 2002
XII%, Board, year : 84.2 CBSE 2004
Undergrad :- 9.71/10, Thapar Institute of Engineering, BE CS, 2004 - '08

Work-Ex:
Sectors, Company - IT, 13 months (in CAT form)

CAT (2009-10):
DI 97.59
Quant 94.26
Verbal 96.50
Aggregate 98.72
(category if applicable)

Extra acads : State level cricketer

Interview & Essay

Venue:IIM B
Date : 22/3

Essay :
Topic:India should develop fighter jets on it's own and not buy 'em from abroad.

Time: 30 mins were given. There was plenty of time.
I think I wrote well.

PI: Lasted for 30 mins

Panel Members Intro:2 Profs and 1 alumni.

Questions: Only 2 types of questions were asked from me. Related to cricket and hockey (since I've played cricket at the state level) and based on my SOP. I was grilled based on my SOP.
Actually 1 of the profs said he was quite interested in what I'd written, so I was asked more on that front.

No acads were asked, no current affairs were asked. I felt, that depends on person to person. To some they may ask acads/current affairs and to others they might not ask 'em.

Rate your preparation(0-5): 4/5
Rate your performance(0-5): Went well, I think.

VERDICT Royally Rejected.

Thanks,
Gagan.
PROFILE:
Acads
X %,Board, year : 91 CBSE 2002
XII%, Board, year : 84.2 CBSE 2004
Undergrad :- 9.71/10, Thapar Institute of Engineering, BE CS, 2004 - '08

VERDICT Unknown as of now

Thanks,
Gagan.

i get an uncanny feeling dat yu hv made it dude.....!
rkc9k026 Says
i get an uncanny feeling dat yu hv made it dude.....!

I'm really thankful to you for the comments, but fellas, let us keep this thread for just posting the experiences. Any comments etc can be dealt through PMs in the future...

If we look at last year's thread, it mostly had experiences posted, this thread one looks way off target, a thread should serve the purpose for which it was started..

Gagan.

PROFILE:

Acads
X %,Board, year : 94.8 Karnataka board
XII%, Board, year : 88.3 Karnataka board
Undergrad :- 73.6 VTU

Work-Ex:
42 months in the software industry

CAT (2009-10):
Aggregate 98.72

Interview & Essay

Date : 23/3

Essay :
Topic: Giving Barrack Obama the Nobel peace prize would reduce its value

I think i wrote ok.

PI: Lasted for around 30 mins

Questions:
The interview went ok for me. No probing questions or any criticisms, although the professors were in a serious mood during the whole interview. They asked me about my work experience, my hobbies (basically some questions on history) and some social activities of mine. A couple of questions on importance of branding and succesful indian brands.

Rate your performance(0-5): I really could not rate myself after the interview

PROFILE:

Acads
X %,Board, year : 91.0 West Bengal Board
XII%, Board, year : 80.0 West Bengal Board
Undergrad :- 84.27 VTU

Work-Ex:
42 months in the software industry

CAT (2009-10):
Aggregate 99.28

Interview & Essay

Date : 23/3

Essay :
Topic: "Great men think alike but group think results in poor decisions"

I think I wrote good.

PI: Lasted for around 20 mins (PI lasted anything between 10-30 minutes; only one guy had 30 minutes; I was the last person to go in)

Questions:
The interview went good for me.
They were very cool and listening with interest.
I was asked questions on:
Essay written
Social activities
Why MBA? (almost everyone asked this)
How my engg fits with my MBA plan?
etc.
No grilling, no probing, very cool and calm interview.

Rate your performance(0-5): 4/5

Verdict: converted

PROFILE:

Acads
X 87.6%,CBSE Board, 2000 year
XII 91.8%, CBSE Board, 2002 year
Undergrad Stream(BA, BE etc) BTech, Specialization(CS, mech etc): ECE, Percentage 89.5%, Year 2006, Institute SASTRA University Thanjavur TN.

Work-Ex: 41 months, IT, Knowlwdge management

CAT (2009-10): 97.87
DI : 91
Quant :
Verbal 99

(category if applicable) general

Extra acads :
Internship at IIT Madras
Any other special thing abt u:

Interview & Essay :

Venue: IIM Bangalore
Date : 23 March

Essay : Women's Reservation Bill

Number of Ppl present 7 - 2 were absent
Time: 0900
Brief Snapshot of the attempt:
Time given : 5 mins for rough work, 25 mins for writing ,
Rate your preparation(0-5): 2
Rate your performance(0-5): 3

PI:
Panel Members Intro:Prof. J, Prof D and a very senior 30 years exp Alumni (A)
Questions:

I reached the IIMB campus at 0815. It took me some time (5 mins) to find the place where the interviews were going. We were a batch of 9 ppl. 2 were absent. There was another batch on our floor. 3 were absent in that. I donno how ppl can afford to lose IIMB.

Had nice chat with fellow interviewees. We were served Mirinda by IIMB. guess "jor ka jhatka dheere se" might be the theme of the interview. At sharp 0900 profs a arrived. They called us by the order in which our names were in the list (guess some random order) and we were given the essay topic "Women reservation is a great step forward". We were told that we might agree or disagree with the topic. After the writing we were again seated in the corridor and asked to wait for half an hour. The in interview started simultaneously for both the panels.

I was the second to be interviewed. My SOP mentioned that I wanted to enter the gov sector.

J opened the door for me.

I : Good morning sir to all of them
D: goodmorning take seat.
J: tell me abt urself.
I : started with my education. cut short when I reached till graduation.
D: u have an unfair advantage in ur essay since u r interested in public sector. Any weak points where I can ask questions?
I : I hav been away from acads since 2006, working in non core sector. So lost touch.
D: We r not so mean. but how will u manage rigor in IIMB?
I : was a good student thruout. have the motivation to excel in whatever I lay my hands on, decent cat score.
J: tell any instance?
I : told about a proj in my company which had time cost overruns + performance issues which I resolved.
A; ur company is like a govt company... complement or derogatory?
I: We are a very large company. processes mite take some time. with dgitization improved a lot. aggressive stance now. saving revenues.
A: very low attrition rate in ITindustry for ur company. Why?
I: coz of global exposure and money + huge exposure to all industry verticals. gave my example of moving from microsoft tech to open source.
J: join IAS directly. u r wasting time.
I: No, I will gain immense strategic knowledge here. can interact with PGPPM students. IIMB has got its own CoE on gov sector etc.
J: why u dint try for IAS till now?
I: time availability and readiness.
D: do u know how many ppl jon IAS after IIM - less than 1 per batch?
I: gave example of IIM-G (a group of govt officers from IIM).
D: Why IIM for IAS?
I: Policies, greater good. Prof Pankaj Chandra has said that govt needs better managers.
J: what shud the gov. do and what not?
I: defence, communication education and healthcare.
J: role of private sector in education.
I: told its profit drive. profit shud be at most 2nd priority.
D: give exaple of govt policies in IT sector.
I : told abt tax holidays. He wanted more. gave option of choosing sector. I chose agriculture and told abt the budget allocation, subsidy, new fertilizer policy and loan waiver.
D: Big discussion on subsidy. how subsidy money can be better spent.
I : research. agriculture management at micro level. coz conditions for agriculture vary a lot. may be cash rewards after production as an incentive.
D: what is final aim?
I: improve conditions of ppl. I blurted out HDI. D asked me abt that and I apologised gfor using a term I dint fully understand.
D: do u think u will be able to do anything? politicians hold all the keys?
I: There are some very good politicians around. Even if they are opposed to an Idea, my proximity to them wud give me enuf opprtunities to me to make them see their good in a project. gave eg of Mittal's steel plant in jharkhand and the bihar turn around story.
A: he told abt his illustrious colleagues in some great PSUs.
J: good luck for IAS, may be I ll see u in IIMB.
I : thanks and got out.

The board was chilled out. All candidates had great experiences. duration was normally 20 mins. they dint see my file. I dont know what to make out of this. They were very courteous and jovial for all. Sometimes they bomabarded me too and cut short when I might be speeaking junk. I kept smiling thruout. Overall a nice experience.
Rate your preparation(0-5): 2
Rate your performance(0-5): 3
MISC.
Any other relevant detail.

VERDICT