[2010-2012] IIM Indore GD/PI Experiences

All the best to everyone for their IIM Indore interviews starting tomorrow. Please do post in your experinces.It would be good if we can use below format. For the benefit of everyone concerned, please keep the format like this: PROFILE:…

All the best to everyone for their IIM Indore interviews starting tomorrow. Please do post in your experinces.It would be good if we can use below format.

For the benefit of everyone concerned, please keep the format like this:

PROFILE:

Acads:
X
XII
Undergrad Major - GPA/%age

Work-Ex:
NIL/Sector - Number of Years

CAT Score:

Case Study/Essay:
Topic:
Number of Ppl present
Time:
Brief Snapshot of Discussion:
Other Salient Details: As whether summary was asked to be written or not, Time given, and other stuff.

PI:
Panel Members Intro:
Questions:

Request:
1. Kindly do not post anything other than your experiences of IIM Indore GD-PI.
2. Please do mention your background and hobbies as it might help us understand why a specific question was put up to you.
3. For appreciating an interview post use thank button, or if you want to show more, use PM.

All in all, keep this thread for what is meant!

PS: please ask your queries here...
IIM Indore Call Getters Discussion

Hi puys,
So here is my exp.
Verbal 93.02
QA 94.94
DI 99.79
OA 99.28
XII 71
BTech 70.5
Work Ex 3.5yrs(IT)

Center Noida

Essay :democracy comes in the way of India's economic growth as compared to China

(was able to write 1 page.My take:use rough sheet to structure ur thoughts)

Then a form was given.sort of questionnaire.On a rating of 1-5 rate urself.Are u talkive,reserved,lazy and etc. etc.

I was first to be called.They were calling in random order.I am putting whatever I can remember and order may b diff..Any way,after dua-salam I took the seat and here the show begins.
P1 and P2:both in late 30s or early 40s.

P1: U have written a point abt RTI.Relate it to economic growth.
Me: Fatte.
and more discussion.I made a point "had google exited from india to it would have alarmed every sector.democracy plays a part here".
(My take"write if u can defend")
P2(who was looking into the form)acads are low.
Me: yes sir, but cut short
Now I was asked questions I got a D grade.Was able to answer some.Then said IC engines is my fav.1 question on tht.Anyway.
(revise ur acads)
P2: Do u think u will show this grade sheet to somebdy.
Me: Yes sir,this is my correct performance.I should (cut short)
P2: I am asking not should am asking will u ?
Me : Yes sir(I have got D in many) and some ethics ke fatte.
P2: So after BTech waht u did tell us ur profile.
Me: fatte.
Discussion on tht.Y u changed job etc
P1:Y u think u r lazy
Me: again some thing.HOw i am working on tht.
P1: Explain the thoughts u have writeen in form.
Me: Expained it and it meant tht we shld be hard worker(i was trapped since am lazy)defended am not lazy in work etc.
P2: where do u see urself in 5 yrs
Me: in middle management (cut short)
P2: means having a office on 3rd floor in 6 storey building.
Me: fatte,value-add
P1: u r a avid reader dostoyovesky, premchand,sarat chandra, dont u think films can reach more ppl?
Me: fatte
P1:Can they be made into films
Me: said something.

Overall 20-25 min.
Take a candy and leave
Overall theek-thaak.NOt very gud.could have done much better.The panel was chill.not pressuring at all or creating unnecessary stress.
ATB to all.

Hi puys,
So here is my exp.

Vaibhav could you please tell us what was the time distribution for the essay, like how much time to think and how much to write. And was their any word limit, how many pages were provided.

TIA

yes.. it wud b helpful if we knw the time distribution.. n were they more concerned abt the acads?? m wondering why wud they ask acads to a 3.5yrs exp guy?? thoughts??

Can we add another tag at the bottom of the template "Verdict:" ? It will be helpful to future Puys. Thanks.

So there is no GD this time ??

Hi puys,
ake a candy and leave
Overall theek-thaak.NOt very gud.could have done much better.The panel was chill.not pressuring at all or creating unnecessary stress.
ATB to all.

Plz tell what was time allotted for essay........All the best buddy....

Hi all,
Here goes my exp.
Verbal 99.80
QA 91.88
DI 82.49
OA 98.14
X 80.6
XII 87.4
BTech 78.33
Work Ex :44 months (IT)
Center Bangalore-IISC. 9:00AM

Essay :democracy comes in the way of India's economic growth as compared to China
Time: 20 Minutes, word limit : 200 words.
A sheet was given for rough work and another for the essay. My take, take 1 min to think and start writing....

After the essay we were given kind of psychometric test. had to rate from 1-5.(Time :10 min)
1: Strongly Disagree
2:disagree a little
3: Neither agree nor disagree.
4: Agree a little
5: Strongly Agree.

We were divided into 4 groups of 10 students each and for interviews we were called in order. My observation was the PI lasted for 12-15 min each.. and they were mostly general questions. not Acad intensive.
In all the panels there were 2 members.

I don't remember all the questions put to me but there was no question from either my profile sheet or from the psychometric test they took atleast not direct question.
One prof was looking at my profile sheet and essay and teh test and asked me questions like :
P1: Why do you think we should take you, U ve very low percentile in CAT and your DI, Quants score are very low.
P1: What extra CCA do you have in school and college.
P1: Where did u do ur schooling.
Me: KV-Vizag steel plant.
P1: Why not in Malkapuram.
Me: As i was staying in the steel plant township so going to VSP was more beneficial..
P1:Why did you leave KV after 10, Was it for the coaching they provide in intermediate...ratta maar ke engg karne ke liye...
Me: :)
(They were talking mostly in hindi :))
P1:Why didnt u do you engg from a govt college?
Me: Was not getting my preferred stream in govt college..
P1:How long have u been staying in blr
p1: Do you go to vizag even now?

It was more of these kinda question. They had either made up their mind on not takin me or they were really chilled out profs ..

P2: Which was ur fav subject in college.
Me: Software Engineering.
P2: u did ur BTech in Mech?
Me: No sir it was IT.
P2: Why IT? Dint u get Mech or electrical? or was it that ur parents wanted u to take IT?
Me: Sir i was inclined towards IT, as during the time of my admission Internet had become the buzz word ...blah blah
P2: So what will u do after MBA? Will you go back to work in IT
Me: I am open to the option. As i have a vast experience in IT , I would want to leavrage it in future.
P2: Tell me about a product development.
Me: Told.
P2: Which company do u work in ?
Me: Infosys
P2: What is ur role in Infosys.

P1: What other calls do u have?
P1: So how was ur SP Jain's interviews?
Me: Theek tha (Hindi)
P1: Tumhe bulayenge woh?
Me: Haan sir, Bulana chahiye.
P1: Toh kahan jaogi tum?
Me: Definitely IIM-I :)

a few more similar questions..

Over all a very chillaxed interview... But due to my low score i m not banking much on it.

ATB to all the puys
-Alka

Hi all,

See, you can't really judge much from the I/Ws. Look at the flipside, with the kind of experience you have, they might be willing to take you as well 😃 So chill and ATB!
Hi all,
Here goes my exp.
Verbal 99.80
QA 94.94
DI 82.49
OA 91.88
X 80.6
XII 87.4
BTech 78.33
Work Ex :44 months (IT)

One prof was looking at my profile sheet and essay and teh test and asked me questions like :
P1: Why do you think we should take you, U ve very low percentile in CAT and your DI, Quants score are very low.

-Alka

Hey, I thought the panel doesn't know the CAT scores of the candidates. Guess this time they have really changed a lot of things. Just hoping the results are not biased because of the CAT scores.

So Puys here is my interview experience..

PROFILE:

CAT Score:
DI 97.XX
Verbal 86.01
QA 91.88
OA 96.73

Acads:
X 82.5
XII 90.5
BTech 72
Work Ex :43 months (IT)

Essay: 200 words limit. We were asked to take a stand and develop an arguement.
Topic: Democracy comes in the way of India's economic growth as compared to China.
Number of Ppl present: Aroung 40-50 overall
Time: 20 mins (for both thinking and writing)
Brief Snapshot : It went well. Gave some points and was able to conclude.
Other Salient Details: We were told when there was 5 mins left to complete and again for the last one minute.

PI:
Panel Members Intro: There two members in the panel. One was asking general and HR based questions - P1, The other was asking questions on acads and work ex related qns - P2.
Questions: I entered the room and wished them.
P2: So tell about you
ME: Started telling...
P2: (Stopped when I was telling about my company...) So tell me what you do in your company
ME: told
Few more qns related my roles and responsibilities were asked here...
P2: You are from ece rite...Tell me three favourite subjects.
P2: How are analog signals converted to digital signals.
Now P1 took over...
P1: So you have done engineering in electronics and now you want to do management...don't you think it is waste of money for the government...
ME: told the benefits of a techie manager..which is the need of the hour..
P1: Are you interested in Cricket
ME: With eye's lit up...Yes sir....
P1: Why do you think IPL is a success
ME: blah blah...
P1: What is the business model of IPL
ME: tried to tell something but cudn't answer what he was looking for...
P1: I asked the business model
ME: Sir, I don't know sir...
P1: If you dont know you shd have told it right away...
ME: Sir I wanted to give a try before giving up...
P1: OK...you got a good rank in you state engg. entrance exam..and you are from hyderabad...so why didnt you join in Osmania Univ.. and y did u join AU instead..
P1: Do you know anything about the Right to education bill
ME: Yes sir
P1: Tell only if you know something...
ME: OK and told
P1: So how many ppl do you think will be benifitted by this bill.
ME: Sir, don't know the number
P1: Ok you have lived in many cities namely - hyd, bnglr, vizag and mumbai..all these cities have the common problem which is Traffic congestion what do you think can be done to reduce it.
P1: Let me look what you have done in extra-currics... (looking at my form) only cricket that is all you did...and that too inter college tournament...
ME: Told my other particpation and achievements.
P1: What are you a bowler or a batsman
ME: told...
P1: Whats your CAT percentile
P1: Its very low..why is it so...
ME: Before I started answering he asked me to tell abt the online test... I told the easiness of the paper and about the minimal difference in scores of a 98 percentile score and 96 percentile...
P1: seemed satisfied...now the big bouncer of the interview...Why do you think we should select you...
ME: told ... about what I can bring in as a student...some qualities
P2: Suddenly comes up and asks...so do you think you are doing the same think in your company...
ME: Yes sir...

P1, P2: Ok thats it...thank you...
ME: Thank you sir !

Overall it was a very feel-good interview...P1 was trying to contradict somethings which I said..but I justified well..

VERDICT: Awaited

PROFILE:

Acads:
X - 90.5
XII - 97.8
Undergrad Major - GPA/%age - 8.54/10 (BITS, Pilani)

Work-Ex:
NIL/Sector - Number of Years
3.5+ , Automobile

CAT Score:
90. 95 (yes, u saw it right...and general category)
Case Study/Essay: Same as others

Number of Ppl present - 3 groups with 10 people
Time: 30 mins
Brief Snapshot of Discussion: 20 mins for essay - finished it in 18 (dont think too much, just go ahead and write), 10 mins - pyschometry

venue: Mumbai Catering College, 9am
We were waiting for a long time after completing essay and I was called in at 12 noon for the interview

They were very keen on the form for others, especially if u belong to IT, EEE, E&C; please look into college projects and essay related questions.

One tip: I wrote down lot of things in my essay and had plenty time, so i came back used gprs in mobile to read terms i had just written about :P

As soon as I entered they told me I was the first mech guy to be interviewed for the day and take your seat

P1 (on left), P2 (on right)
P1: Ur form's print clarity is very bad I cannot make out what is written there
Me: Xerox machine failure and I had to use my camera to use it like a scanner
P2: Good use of technology, btw did u go for any coaching classes
Me: No sir, there are very less facilities in Nasik
P2: Facilities can be got anywhere these days, acha you actually studied in chennai.and which part
Me: Yes sir, I am currently living in xyz part of chennai
P2: Tell me about Xyz
Me: (told)
P1: So you belong to automobiles of tractor segment
Me: Automobiles
P1: So which product - A,B,C
Me: I was working in A and currently in a product called D
P1: Yes, I heard recently, Ok what engine has it got
Me: 900 cc diesel
P2: What is firing order ??????????
Me: (oops technical stuff starts, where are those traditional questions)...told them
P1: Suppose the engine revvs at 8000 rpm what difference it makes
Me: Tried to tell, but he gave an hint and i developed that
from there they asked me all possible theoretical and practical aspects of an engine
and nothing more they asked me

There was no questions on my past, present or future...no questions on my essay...no questions on mba plans etc etc...so guys be prepared..

What I had done is, apart from my certificates, I had put the map of my travels, my support for girl child and her photo and background, my other interests with a small sticky note...

This gave them quick synopsis of the file without asking me any questions.

Fingers crossed. Only one call..need to convert..

What I had done is, apart from my certificates, I had put the map of my travels, my support for girl child and her photo and background, my other interests with a small sticky note...

This gave them quick synopsis of the file without asking me any questions.

very well thought!! all the best!!
are they checking for affidavit??
badcreater Says
are they checking for affidavit??

yes they r checking the affidavits.. in fact, they ask you to submit your profile sheet and affidavit while you are writing your essay.

CAT percentile : 99.7
B.Tech - Civil Engineering
Work ex - 2.5 years(Bank)

Essay topic : same as others.
Interview:
P1: You have mentioned about the Chinese Yuan issue in your essay. What is your opinion about it?
Me: answered
P1: So if you were Chinese minister what would you say to US?
Me : Answered
P1 : In the form you have mentioned about a project you did in the company which gained you recognition. Please elaborate on that.
Me : Told details of project, issue, solutions, implementation etc etc.
P2 : How is your civil engineering helping in your job?
Me: Gave some gyan of problem solving skills etc.
P2 : Whats is surveying? ( civil related)
P2 : What are the instruments used?
P2 : How does it work.
Me : Gave an example of measurement.
P2 : What is the principle here?
Me : Told
P2 : How is it applied to this example,. and can you extend it to make an extra measurement.
Me : tried
P2 : Ok, you said you have learned .... from civil engineering which you apply now in your job too. Give a specific example where you applied this problem solving in civil engineering itself.
Me : Gave an example from BTP in detail for around 5 minutes.
Interview over

Gen comments : Profs were cool and were listening intently.

People,

Here comes my background
Acads:
X - 85
XII - 92
Undergrad Major - 8.7 (chemical)
Work-Ex:
30 months/pharma

CAT Score: 94 something

Case Study/Essay:
Topic: same as the ones mentioned by others
Number of Ppl present - 9 others
Time: 20 min
Psycometric test done thereafter. In psychometric test they had given multiple questions which repeated the same idea in different words. My suggestion would be to stick to your answer both directionally and degree wise across similar sounding questions.

PI

P1: How do you define GDP?
P1: What are the other measures of economic activity ? (I mentioned GNP)
P1: How do you define per capita income? (told them, also told them that this can also be taken as one of the metrics to define economic activity)
P1: What do you do at work?
Then there was a 2-3 min discussion on the work that I do
P2: Asked me which extracurricular activity I pursue? any interest in sports or music?
I mentioned traveling as one of my extracurricular activity
P2: Where have you travelled?
P2: What difference did you see in travelling in the north and south?
standard answers
P1: What is the latest development in the field of biotechnology? guessed
P2: What is gene therapy? guessed again
P1: Is this your first attempt? No
P1: Have you applied to any other institutes beyond IIMs? No

I would say it was a very cold interview for me. There was no expression on the face of the profs.

Thanks

PSYCHOMETRIC TEST?? Hadn't heard abt it.. Can ne1 elaborate??? I have my PI tom at 2..

Hi puys,

Dont worry abt the time provided. what matters is u shld b able to defend it(at least in my case).rest don't be pressurized.