[2010-2012] FMS-MBA(FT & MS) GD/PI-Extempore Experiences

All the best to everyone for their FMS-MBA(FT & MS) interviews starting tomorrow. Please do post in your experinces.It would be good if we can use below format. For the benefit of everyone concerned, please keep the format like this: PR…

All the best to everyone for their FMS-MBA(FT & MS) interviews starting tomorrow. Please do post in your experinces.It would be good if we can use below format.

For the benefit of everyone concerned, please keep the format like this:

PROFILE:

Acads:
X
XII
Undergrad Major - GPA/%age

Work-Ex:
NIL/Sector - Number of Years

GD:
Topic:
Number of Ppl present
Time:
Brief Snapshot of Discussion:
Other Salient Details: As whether summary was asked to be written or not, Time given, and other stuff.

PI:
Panel Members Intro:
Questions:

Extempore Topic:

Request:
1. Kindly do not post anything other than your experiences of FMS-MBA(FT& MS) GD-PI.
2. Please do mention your background and hobbies as it might help us understand why a specific question was put up to you.
3. For appreciating an interview post use thank button, or if you want to show more, use PM.

All in all, keep this thread for what is meant!

PS: please ask your queries here...
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/fms-mba-mbams-call-getters-2010-2012-gd-pi-extempore-discussions-thread-25049813/1869830
all the irrelevant posts will be deleted from this thread.

Though i could not get through the first round...I would like to wish y'all best of luck...
Do good and even if you don't do well,don't worry....life does not hinge upon just an institute.....
ATB !!

Hi Guys !

Since the process begins from tomorrow, wish you all the luck.

It was a pleasure interacting with you all and hope to see you in campus (as students) :)

As a last contribution, I have uploaded the KPMG Sectoral Snippets March issue in the group. Might find it handy.

Please share your GD/PI and extempore experience in the group as well and update the GD/PI and extempore spreadsheet here
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Aj55dVzVxbFbdHhYcUs4UzUzYVBOdjZYSGx0VU1ZX2c&hl;=en

For authenticity, kindly add only the topics that were actually been given.

Once again, all the best !
Chak de !!:cheerio:

Acads:
X : 86
XII: 90.7
Undergrad Major - 79/I.T
Work-Ex: 0 yrs
NIL/Sector - Number of Years

MBA(FT)
Topic: "Poverty causes environment depredation?"
Number of Ppl present:9(1 absent)
Time: 10mins
Brief Snapshot of Discussion: Very cool GD..no fish market and everyone chipped in..All of us were repeating the same point though!!
Luckily fr me..everyone in the grp was friendly and we gt a chance to
interact !!
Other Salient Details: There were 4members in the panel..we were given 1min to conclude..we did it in 30secs

PI:
Panel Members Intro: 5ppl..2lady members..one elderly gentleman..2young guys
Questions: One of the wrst interviews ever..
All the questions were unexpected..
One lady only grilled me on questions frm economics and all..CRR,Repo rate and many more..answered few ..
Then the male member shocked me with a crzy question...capital and currency of Cambodia!
Then he asked me to name few countries which still follow monarchy..
Few more such questions and I was asked to leave!

Extempore Topic: " Heir apparent"
God only knows what I spoke..

MBA(MS)
Topic: "Bollywood is supporting the cause of women empowerment(something like this)
Number of Ppl present:9(1 absent)
Time: 10mins
Brief Snapshot of Discussion: Very cool GD again..no fish market and everyone chipped in..
Was better than the previous one~
Other Salient Details: There were 3 members in the panel..None of them,I felt, was listening!!

PI:
Panel Members Intro: 4ppl..2 lady members..2 men
Questions: Very very wierd interview..lasted arnd 5mins..only general questions like Why MBA,Hobbies..etc etc

Extempore Topic: "Honesty is NOT the best policy"
Started speaking against the topic but one of the ladies interrupted me and asked me to speak in favor of the topic..I was a bit hesitant but I still went ahead and spoke some crap fr 30 secs and she stopped me..

All in all..a disappointing day!!
Was suprised to find no students of FMS there ..Everything was being managed by the faculty..!

P.S: Was hoping to meet many of you Puys there esp Bmr!..did meet few others though!!!

hi rahul,
thanks 4 d update.
u being a fresher, ddnt they ask nething frm ur acads?

Hi...!!

Any questions on acads being asked..??
what was the duration of the interview..??
hows is the process being carried out there..?

Was the entire group as a whole given 1 minute to conclude or each person was given 1 min to conclude?

PROFILE:

Acads:
X - 90.8 (CBSE)
XII - 96.58 (STATE Board TN)
Undergrad Major - 80.8 %

Work-Ex: 33 months
NIL/Sector - IT/ITES

GD:
Topic: Religional fanaticism makes way to regional chauvinism
Number of Ppl present : 10
Time: 1 min to think, 10 min to speak, 1 min to conclude.
Brief Snapshot of Discussion: Kind of a fish market , we were 2 gals n 8 guys in the gang. The guys were too aggressive and at a point 5-6 of them were speaking ... Mostly everyone just wanted to throw in examples from current affairs irrespective of whether it was relevant or not.. some ppl brought in quota system in AP also I tried giving direction and entering but the group did not allow.. so mostly listened 😛 and nodded my head like crazy
Other Salient Details: written above

PI:
Panel Members Intro: p1 (pretty young prf , very serious) ; P2 kinda old staff very serious.. p3 ..very smiling n friendly sir p4 : one ma'am very friendly n smiling
Questions:

First they asked if my college is a private institute, whether they accept capitation. I said no and told abt my college. Then they asked abt my responsibilites at work. Said. asked what all calls.. was honest about my IIM calls.. they dint prod which one u'll choose n all 😃 I was the only one in my slot asked abt otehr calls i guess... Then they said extempore topic is "Glass ceiling for women is a myth".. 10 secs to colect my thoughts.. spoke decently .. threw in chandna kochchar , indra nooyi examples , ended with empowerment thro women's bill,.. etc..pretty decent no questions from that...

Then p2 asked about pvt ltd. He had been askign this to all candidates I guess.. so had got some basic info abt shareholder number in pvt , public ltd n blurted that out ... He asked wats the min shareholder no. in pvt & wats the min capital .. Said am not aware... he left it at that out of 4 questions he asked in this area i could answer 2.. i was ok with that :cheerio: dunno abt the panel :P

then i had mentioned that am an avid reader.. so they asked what all I read. I said i read everything from books to magazines to articles
Immediately that sir (P3) asked what is the latest article i read that impacted me :shock: I was dragging like I do not recall blah blah then I started something on women's bill... Then he was like what about the Bharti - Zain deal .. Thankfully I knew about it and spoke.. Then he asked negative side of that... I blabberred something ..that they have to manage more customers etc.. Not convincing enuf I was.. 😛 .. anyways . then the P1 asked about systems cycle in my company .. I was liek u mean s/w dev life cycle ? he nodded n i went about that n chipped in some more abt my responsibilities.....then they asked what company i'd liek to work for after my mba ! I was like i dunno sir I will get loads of exposure in these 2 yrs & depends on market scenario as well.. P4 was like u must be having a dream company right.. for that I said ,, No mam I do not having anything of that sort in mind since I am planning to start my own venture (mentioned in SOP) so they nodded as if they remembered seeing that in SOP.. and p3 said thank you !

I said thanks for your time.. have a good day and left :D

PI wudve lasted maybe 7 mins... pretty much this way fr most ppl ..

Puys,

Lemme know your thoughts on what you feel are my chances

My advice.. Chill.. Be confident , take your smile along .. should be fine 😃
Freshers : Brush up your technical skills in a practical application oriented perspective..

Eg : CSE grad was asked abt proprietary OS n all
ECE grad asked about 3G and technical specs of that

So look at ur techie stuff from prcatical point of view.. All the best !!

Will add the verdict column on April 1 .

VERDICT : FT waitlisted (did not apply for MS)

@ deepankurmalik
Entire group given a minute to conclude in my case...

@ deepankurmalik
Entire group given a minute to conclude in my case...

Hi ....How is the atmosphere there.... Relaxed or serious...??
Are they asking acads from freshers..!!
Iam a fresher Btech CSE..!!!
Hi ....How is the atmosphere there.... Relaxed or serious...??
Are they asking acads from freshers..!!
Iam a fresher Btech CSE..!!!

The atmosphere is great.:)
Try to interact with the other candidates..
No one in my group was asked questions on acads..
All the best..

For GD topic we have to pick a chit.One girl was absent so total 9 ppl were present so we were given a total of 9+2 minutes.1 minutes thinking which i felt was 20 secs only and 1 minute for summarization by the group as a whole at the last
GD Topic: Ecological balance has vanished in modern civilization.

Extempore Topic: My Favourite Season
Said winters and told how u cant sleep nicely in summers and its so fun sleeping in winters.and some bad things about summers and rains.and how i m missing decreasing winters due to global warmings

Interviewers : p1,p2,p3

p1:Ohh so u like sleeping a lot.
Me:OOps:grin:...Sir it is an important part.

p1:Where else you have calls from.
Me:5 IIMs

p2:why dint u join the b school in ur college(thr is a bschool in my college)
Me:Sir my first choice was IIMs and FMS and also i have studied at my college for 4 years and I want a change

p3:Tell me three reasons to do mba from a b school
Me:Told

p1:So tell me what is difference between MIS and DSS
Me:sir MIS i have heard of but DSS i have never heard.

p3:So u have studied Industrial Engg ?
Me: No sir, I have studies operations research.

p2: what in operations research.
Me: Told

p1: what is ur job profile
Me: told

p1: ok tell me the difference between hub,switch and router and where do you use all this.
Me: Told

p1:Now I will test your logical ability
Me: Ok(wasnt the written exam enough to check this)

p1:Suppose tomorrow aishwarya rai comes to you saying that she is fed up of abhishek bachchan and wants to marry you.what will you do.
Me:(How will this check my logical ability)Told sir at present foremost is my career and i want to become something before taking additional responsibilities..something like this

p2:What advice will you give aishwarya
Me: (Imagine me advising aishwarya rai )I will try to know her problems and will try to think before taking this step because she is a role model for many and this may give a wrong impression

p1: All the best
Me: THANKS

Hi ChirriKumar...
Wanted to know, it that all they asked ?
Seems like a 5 - 6 min interview....or were there more questions but you did not mention them here ?

Hi ChirriKumar...
Wanted to know, it that all they asked ?
Seems like a 5 - 6 min interview....or were there more questions but you did not mention them here ?

It went for around 10 mins.Wherever I have written "told" they were around 1 or 1.5 mins answers :grin:...there was a bit of cross questioning but that was just around some of the ans which I told ...

Buddy can we ask for change in topic of extempore if we want to?????????
becoz m really clueless about this topic HEIR APPARENT........
Buddy can we ask for change in topic of extempore if we want to?????????
becoz m really clueless about this topic HEIR APPARENT........

Once they announce the topic the timer begins .. anything you ask or speak will only waste your time yaar..speak anything that comes to your mind..
They might change the topic but it will create a bad impression.:)
All the best..:)do well..

Posting in the break in between MS and MBA interviews

PROFILE:

Acads:
X: 94.8
XII: 95.8
Undergrad Major - GPA/%age: 6.49 (Chemical Engineering)

Work-Ex:Nil

GD:
Topic: Automation helps the poor and the illiterate
Number of Ppl present: 10
Time: 12 minutes
Brief Snapshot of Discussion: FIsh Market-Couldnt speak during discussion- Spoke in conclusion
Other Salient Details: Dont know how they evaluate people who shouted! But to speak you have to shout!

PI:
Panel Members Intro: 3 men 1 woman
Questions: Why management after BITS Pilani engineering?
Interests?
Why dont you choose football as career?
Top level management is all about money right?
Name top chemical companies.
What does Du Pont manufacture?
Recent Book? (Seven Habits of Highly Effective People)
Name 3 habits in that book

Extempore Topic: Powerful minds devise powerful strategies- Spoke about Gandhi and how strategies should help everyone and not cause harm to anyone and that b schools devise powerful minds to devise strategies

Not at all confident or happy :-(

Off to attend MBA GDPI!

sorry couldnt post here eariler, i see only a couple of experiences where are the rest?

profile: b.e fresher, 73%
both calls

9:30 am (MS)
i had it first day first show, nerves were taking over as i entered to get my certis verified...they haggled about why my 7th sem result hadnt come out but let me thru anyway...
waited tioll about 10:15-30 then my group was called for the gd
topic: WTO is for indias benefit
11 ppl thus were given 13 min with one min for thinking and one fianl min for summarising
gd was ok, credit to the group for not creating a fish market and allowing evrybdy to chip in with their points...though i suspect some ppl did not grasp the topic completely because there was talk of bt brinjal(:shock:) in btween...i think it went ok for me
was the last in the group for the interview, i entered...
4 panel mmbrs 3 males(m1,m2,m3) 1 female f
me:formalities
m1: sit, are u ready for ur extempore, ur topic is "journey is more important than ur destination"(i dnt think it was related in any way to my prfile or anything)
me:blah blah
m2: ok, so ur electronics and comm?, temme what is microelectronics?
me:told
m2:what is ta-------?( he said a very weird word and that was the first time i heard it,i swear m a lazy fellow and dont attend clases but i do know terms associated with my branch!)
me:dont know sir
m2: what!,before u an ec guy came he dint know something else u dnt know this...hahahah
m3: ok what are the books u will recommend to me for reading
me: brief histroy of time and made in america
m3: these are books suggested my cl!
me: i dunno sir if they are sir my sis suggestd them to me as i am doing to u
m3: so prannay what is ur destination?(throw back to extmpore)
me: sir i do plan to join the service sector...
m3:(cuts me) no no i thought ud interpret it in an abstract way
me: sir in that case fms south campus, if not that then fms north campus if not that then fms south campus next year (f starts laughing)
m2: so do u have any other call?
me :told
m2: ok prannay we wish u the best of luck...u may leave
and this was all in 5 min! a 5 m in interview, maybe i was the last guy thats why , the person before me had the same time but could be others reasons too, which i wouldnt like to think...

NOTES: dnt wry chilld process...pls make sure there is no fish market in the gd , i think they stopped an FT gd in 6 min flat after a fish market..
lets hope i make it , and so do all of u ...best of luck

What about your MBA-FT Interview..??
Are all interviews this short..!!