[2010-11 GDPI Helpline] By NITIE Students - the Last lap to enter Dream B-Schools

Dear all, For the first time ever, we bring to you the PaGaLGuY Official GDPI Helpline in collaboration with students of NITIE Mumbai. We all know that the ‘Battle’ is over but the ‘WAR’ to enter dream B-Schools is still on. And, th…

Dear all,

For the first time ever, we bring to you the PaGaLGuY Official GDPI Helpline in collaboration with students of NITIE Mumbai.

We all know that the 'Battle' is over but the 'WAR' to enter dream B-Schools is still on. And, this is the right time to ask all your 'last lap' questions to people who have been there, done that and wish to share their experience and time with you.

On this thread, you can ask about...

- How to start preparing for GDPI
- Customizing GDPI preparation for different B-Schools
- Dealing with fear to speak in group / before interview panel
- How to be prepared about out of the box questions in interviews
- Tips for group tasks/ case discussions
- Customized PI tips as per your background

If you have any questions related to above apprehensions or any other query, post them here and get them answered by NITIE Students.

Special features of this helpline include:

- Regular discussions on topics important with respect to GDPI. This won't include the posting of news or articles on these topics, rather it will consist of complete analysis of the topic from management point of view posted regularly by NITIE Students and then house will be left open for discussion on that analysis.
- Suggestions to perform better in PIs.
- Sharing GDPI experience of almost every elite B-School.
- Skype Conference with NITIE students and live discussions on topics.

Well, the offerings of helpline do not end here ... PaGaLGuY and team from NITIE have planned exclusive features for you all which will facilitate and provide you the convenience throughout the journey of GDPI Phase and ensure that you are empowered to crack GDPI in a better way. The other offerings will be disclosed as we move ahead in the journey together.

So, let's conquer this phase together and convert the calls :thumbsup:

Links to important posts on this thread
1. GDPI Topics
2. Group Discussion: Points to Remember

Cheers,
Varun

plz start a topic soon.

@varun: I am a regular reader of economic times only. What u suggest me to read to prepare for GD/PI??

Hi.. what is the process to join the skype discussion forums..??

aaffuu1986 Says
@varun: I am a regular reader of economic times only. What u suggest me to read to prepare for GD/PI??

Buddy,

Being a regular reader of ET will definitely help 😃 . Apart from reading, try to analyze the articles which you find to be important and look at these articles with 2-3 perspectives.

This will help you because many times in GD, by the time i get chance to speak, someone else is already done with what i had to speak to bring forth my perspective on the topic... so, if you get into habit of analyzing the articles well, you will surely have an edge and even if your one point is said by someone else, you can always come up with a new point spontaneously. ( you can definitely develop this with practice). Rest ET is perfect... going for too many newspapers won't leave you with time to analyse topics which in my opinion is more important than just reading. :)

Also, you can start reading magazines like Business World and Frontline just to keep in touch with the things happening around... the coverage in these magazines is slightly different than what we generally see in newspapers and helps us to develop better insight.

Also suggest to visit Arts & Letters Daily - ideas, criticism, debate, a good repository of various resources.

Leonidas711 Says
Hi.. what is the process to join the skype discussion forums..??

We will update on this very soon 😃 However, everyone interested can join for sure :)

Cheers!

Hi vision IIM-ACL,

Can you tell me what pages of The Economic Times to focus on?

Duplicate Post.

Hi vision IIM-ACL,

Can you tell me what pages of The Economic Times to focus on?

Have a glance at following pages to keep yourself updated : front page, technology page, markets, world update. :)

Selected articles from following pages can be read in detail : Political Theatre, Editorial, Viewpoint, column named ' Opinion' .... content here would help in building points in most of the GDs

Can go through Banking and Finance page if you are looking forward to say in interview that you want to pursue MBA in finance ( if asked about specialization)

Can go through Business of Brands page if you are looking forward to say in interview that you want to pursue MBA in marketing ( if asked about specialization)

Note: You can also go through TOI/Hindu for selective reading.

PS: Few of the pages mentioned above might not be present daily.

Hi,,i would also like to take part in this GD-PI initiative....I have just started reading ET along with Hindu....Is their any particular book which can provide material for almost all the GD topics(currect affairs, socio-political problems, abstract topics etc.)...??

what all has to be done for preperation ... m confused... :-0

hey your post was quite helpful..
but just tell me if any topic on which i have no idea comes for gd.. then what is the smart way to tackle that situation?

Hello all 😃

Here comes the first point to be remembered while participating in any group discussion. We have tried to elaborate it by quoting the situation which happens in real time.

Rule 1: One to one is a strict no!!

Now consider a situation where someone actually cuts your point, and considering an extreme possibility, does so, pointing towards you, facing you (which is pretty common), quotes your argument, or even calls out your name; what are you supposed to do??

1) You are not there to defend arguments but to participate in discussion, if the point made is valid, you can leave it at that.

2) Let us suppose the group is lost on your perspective if you don't defend this argument of yours,

a. You may then defend your argument as one opinion of the group against another opinion from group, and not as 'you versus me'

b. Address entire group when defending and not only the person who challenged your argument

c. Possible start can be, 'one perspective we must not miss is......' , etc.

Rule 2 : Points to be kept in mind while concluding GD

Please refer to this post for same http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/prep-resources/60989-2010-11-gdpi-helpline-nitie-17.html#post2419528

PS: We shall be using this post as the repository of all rules so that you can browse through them conveniently.

PPS: Post following this will be used as repository of all GD Topics with the links to the post from which the discussion starts on respective topic.

PPPS: Please keep giving us feedback through PM especially if it is a critical one :)

Cheers,
Varun

Here we go with our GD Topics 😃

You all are invited to put forth your views on the topic. We shall be summarizing the topic once the discussion gets over along with the feedback of your points which will be put up during the discussion.

Topic 1 : End of Hero Honda Joint Venture... implications.

Topic 2 : DOT
Topic 3 : India needs honest bureaucrats and not efficient managers
Topic 4 : Case study of beauty cream and issues related to its promotion
Topic 5: Advertising: Raising Product Values but Decreasing Human Values

PS: Quote only the relevant part of post if you want to refer to something mentioned in it.

shivansh.monga Says
Is their any particular book which can provide material for almost all the GD topics(currect affairs, socio-political problems, abstract topics etc.)...??

There is no book for which we can say that it covers all GD Topics. Still, you can refer to any of the year books available in the market to have a comprehensive collection of all the major happenings of the year and go through them from the book.
prashant navin Says
what all has to be done for preperation ... m confused..

Keep track of this thread, all your queries will be solved :)
hey your post was quite helpful..
but just tell me if any topic on which i have no idea comes for gd.. then what is the smart way to tackle that situation?

This is a situation which many of us face during group discussions ...we will soon come up with an illustration for dealing with such situation.

Cheers!

Well who is not aware of the famous Hero Honda bikes and the famous tagline "desh ki dhadkan". Hero Honda has enjoyed the leader tag in the Indian 2-wheeler segment for quite some time, similar to what Maruti has achieved in the 4 wheeler segment. Today even a kid would say Hero Honda dhak dhak go!!

So this parting of ways will affect the brand in more than one way!!!..There are many aspects which can be looked at. Firstly, HERO lacks in technological front which was uptill now being looked after by Honda. Honda on the other hand does not have proper infrastructure to give effective after sales support. So both of them are losing out and it pose a problem in the short run. Secondly, Hero Honda has always been perceived as an aspirational brand with patriotic advertisements. Honda will lose out here as they are not much aware of this desi outlook. Both the brands have to reposition their strategies as the market is already very competitive with biggies like Bajaj, TVS etc marketing very aggressively. One of the most crucial tasks at hand for the companies is not to lose out on the market share. Hero needs to work on R&D; whereas Honda on sales support. But both the brands need to act fast as this is going to be a very tough ask.
As far as we consumers are concerned i think it is good news as it will bring in more products to choose from and best of all intense competition will lead to price falls!!

Regards
Anand

hi..
can anyone elaborate on the techniques of generating points in GD....sometimes people have the info. about the topic but they can not organize their thoughts as needed.

I read sumwhr about...SPELTE, SWOT, and KWA techniques. If any one can put some light on these, it will be really helpful for a lot of puys.

Honda, which was having 26% stake in Hero Honda JV is willing to sell it to Hero group as per recent news. It maybe a setback for Hero becoz, Honda was looking after Technology and R&D; in JV, which Hero would have to take care alone now. Whereas it is also an opprtunity for Hero group to explore into International market, because as per JV Hero group earlier was not allowed to explore outside India. Considering Hero Honda's brand value it should not be a problem for Hero group to hold on to its market leader position because it manufactures vehicles more than 2nd, 3rd and 4th place companies put together as per market share. That is why I think Stock market is also positive on this news.

My take:
It offers a great opportunity for other players in the market to reduce the gap in the market share when compared to the leader.
It may lead to price wars between the existing players leading to promotional offers,discounts or ways to lure the customers towards their brand.
For Hero group,it should take neccessary steps to retain its Brand image and it ensure that its 4500 dealers are with them which helps in mataining the sales and meeting production lines.
And Honda group will try to release more models in 2- wheeler segment to strengthen its brand position in India.

Hi varun,
Thanks a lot for starting this thread.
I had some doubts related to the topic started(Hero Honda JV) and abt GD on the whole.
If u can check the previous threads most of the points r already shared, n in my opinion 95% of the ppl wil agree to the points, as they r al valid and nothin much to argue on it or havin a a different opinion to the ones already placed, in that case how the ppl who hav not yet spoken can show their metal or how the discussion will progress. If you can give some example on the topic which is already started, then it'll b helpful.
Thanks in advance.