[2009] MDI Gurgaon GD/PI Experiences (PGPM,IM,HR)

MDI process starts from tomorrow- 23rd March 2009 All the best to all the aspirants…hope we all become MANDEVIANS. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Plz post your gd/pi experiences in the format given below. NOTE- PLZ POST UR EXPERIENCES O…

MDI process starts from tomorrow- 23rd March 2009

All the best to all the aspirants....hope we all become MANDEVIANS. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Plz post your gd/pi experiences in the format given below.

NOTE- PLZ POST UR EXPERIENCES ONLY.Dont flood the thread with irrelevant discussions and if you want to appreciate a candidate's good performance @ gd-pi - Use THANK YOU tab.

Here are some useful links:

2007 GD/PI Experiences
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/mdi-pgpm-gd-pi-experiences-2007-25021722

2008 GD/PI Experiences
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/2008-mdi-pgpmpghrpgim-gd-pi-experience-25029602

PROFILE:

Acads:
X
XII
Undergrad Major - GPA/%age

Work-Ex:
NIL/Sector - Number of Years

CAT %ile:
DI
Quant
Verbal
Aggregate

Any other special thing abt u:

VENUE:

GD:
Topic:
Number of Ppl present
Time:
Brief Snapshot of Discussion:
Other Salient Details: As whether summary was asked to be written or not, Time given, and other stuff.

PI:
Slot:
Panel Number:
Panel Members Intro:
Questions:

MISC.
Any other relevant detail.

Grt work super xero...just as i mentioned in the other thread..all the best to every1..keep ur calm...be confident ..b positive n be a gud listener but at the same time also put ur point across...Do talk to ur assigned mentors once again to get some last minute tips...ATB..
cheers!!!

no puy in 2days slot!!!???
kaha ho sab
seniors any inputs??

No posts yet??

Seniors, can you pls update us about the process?

Although I am no senior but I appeared for all the three GD/PIs last year and since none has posted their experience here I will try and explain what it was like last year. If it is considered spam then please let me know and I will delete this post.

Anyway last year I had my GD for the HR program on the very first day of the process itself and we had all thought there would be a group task as well but there was none. It was a normal GD and PI and no summary or Group Task. But from what I had learnt from the people who had appeared for the 2007 HR interviews, in a group task they give you miscellaneous articles like 6 match sticks, a lemon, a coin and some rubber bands and they ask you to make as many relevant things from the given articles as possible.

There was no document verification last year and the most important question for freshers was "why MBA".

The next day I had the PM/IM interviews on the same day. For the PM interview they had 3 panels and as soon as it was time they divided us into 3 groups and took us to separate rooms and we had our GDs. No case studies, but only topic based GDs. Group size was around 12. No summary was asked. The interviews were normal interviews, lasted for around 20 minutes (on an average).

The PM and IM processes were exactly the same.

I have my PM/IM GD/PIs tomorrow and the HR thing the day after. I will try and post my experiences here as soon as possible.

Please excuse this post if you think it is misplaced here, as even I wasn't sure if I should write all this here but since Maverik asked us to, I have.

*Disclaimer* These were my last year's experiences NOT THIS YEAR'S... Subject to change.

Hi, Gotta be real brief cos my keyboard's not working properly and its a real pain to type on online keyboard.My apologies for that. Skipping the format here goes my experience

Program: PGPM

First there's a Group discussion round. There're 10 ppl in each group. Our topic was Popularity of cricket in india is affecting other sports adversely
2 min to think. 15 min to discuss. Panel stop when they think they've had enough blabber

PI ROUND I was the first to be called

Panel consisted of a middle aged male prof (mp)and a youngish female prof(fp) and finally me tat is Adi

mp : you talked about cricket. Whats your opinion of hockey
A : told
fp: you are working in nokia r&d;?
A : yes
fp : wats the profile
fp: tats interesting. Y leave it and do mba
A : blah
fp: you know a person called charles babbage
A : yes told bout him
mp : wats a computer
A : random stuff
fp: There's a concept called Garbage In Garbage Out. Wats tat
fp: but if you giv bad input it wont accept it
A: yes but if you give input tat is syntactically valid but semantically valid it'll give bad output
fp: fair enough. Whats jhansi famous for?(my hometown)
A: Rani Jhansi
fp: whats her name
A: Damn it!!abhi bhoolna tha :(

mp: ok no probs. you know tats the diff b/w comp and humans. We forget
A: yessir

mp: (some monlogue about leadership crisis in country.) Who's a leader
A: random stuff

fp: diff b/w leader and mgr
A: again random stuff. Mentioned Maslow's heirarchy in b/w

fp: Whats tat
A: told

fp: ok so basically leader and mgr are same acc to u. They both set out to achieve goals

A: said its the goals which differentiates a leader from a mgr

mp: what do you want to becum?
A: Of course leader!!

mp: then join politics
A: said its a gud option but first need to get my education done first.Don't want to be a grassroots student union leader type politician

fp: what are your hobbies
A: reading esp military history

mp: cos your father is in army?
A: yes and own interest

mp: whats diff b/w army and normal mgr?
A: mentioned discipline

mp: Why don't you go to nda?
A(after my cal interview had thought it over) blah blah

mp: ok any ques?
A : no sir

mp : thank you very much

Overall a chilled out process. In the morning batch ppl were being grilled on acads or tats wat i heard. Depends on panel to panel

Cheers and ATB,
Adi

Other people who had their GD/PI's today plz post your experiences....

so this time around for HR was it a group task or a gd or something else???

Saw some cases around near the rooms where the process was held..

Guys, Please post your GD/PI experiences..

Sharing is caring 😁

I had my MDI GD/PI today for PGPM at IIMB Campus..

People called: 11
present: 9

GD Topic: As mentioned above, is over-popularity of cricket adversaly affecting other games? time for thinking: 2 min, bakar time: 15 minutes
Overall OKish for me, spoke for four five times, I hope I was sensible enough. The GD group was overall chilled out, unlike NITIE where one guy was know-it-all dude!

I was the last person for PI so a long wait for me...

PI:Long wait for 2 hrs

Two panelists: one old bald guy p1 , and a young lady P2

I had not written engg branch in the PDF, P1 seems to get positively pissed off seeing this..
P2: How are you you feeling? How was the wait?
Me: I am feeling feeling fine mam. The wait was good.
P2 seemed happy over mention of word and asked me to name a few synonyms for "good"
Me: Good, nice, fine...
P2: Is good and nice same?
Me: No mam. Good is a milder expression..
P1 gets off from his hibernation..so engineering with 80%, good, ,you are from Blore..
Me: No sir, that is my address for correspondence
P2: What is your hobby, I did not get it..
Me: Blah
P2: So what is India's strategy?
Me: Blah
P2: Are we overly defensive?
Me: Explained a few points, P2 looked OK
P2 to P1: Sir do you want to ask something?
P1: Electrical engineer.OK..so tell me something about recent electricity act..
Me: Explained a few points about Electricity Regulation Act 2003, P1 cuts over and a comprehensive gyan session follows..I just keep on nodding in omniscient fasion :)
P1: Tell me a few electrical eqipment manufactureres..
Me: GE, BHEL, Schenider Electric etc..
P1: electricity situation in home town?
Me: Told
P1: One way to improve it?
Me: Reactive power injection..which P1 did not comprehend fully
In the meantime, P2 was busy noting down something..
P2: Why gap in academics?
Me: Told
P1: Why MBA?
Me: told my novel idea..P1 got excited at this. Dug deeper, tried to demotivate me, I was adamant anyways. P2 praised my determination..:)
P1: I will give you a seat at MDI..we will work on this idea, I will let you open one shop..)
Me: I am looking forward to that sir...

That's it..I am happy it ended on an optimistic note...let us see if it ends that way..

ATB to everybody. I am in office right now at 1 50 AM and today is indeed a long day! :(

Verdict: Converted this one finally but not joining!

hello,

I wud request to all to plz mention ur panel number as well and if possible details like CAT % and stream coz tht wll be helpful in judging for all those who share same panel

hello,

I wud request to all to plz mention ur panel number as well and if possible details like CAT % and stream coz tht wll be helpful in judging for all those who share same panel

Also if u guys cud take the efforts of finding out t he names of the panelists either from friends or from the MDI website, it wud be very helpful for some of us. It is quite a surprise to see only 2 experiences posted till date.... Come on guys....

Cheers,
Shabad

Anyway last year I had my GD for the HR program on the very first day of the process itself and we had all thought there would be a group task as well but there was none. It was a normal GD and PI and no summary or Group Task. But from what I had learnt from the people who had appeared for the 2007 HR interviews, in a group task they give you miscellaneous articles like 6 match sticks, a lemon, a coin and some rubber bands and they ask you to make as many relevant things from the given articles as possible.

There was no document verification last year and the most important question for freshers was "why MBA".

The next day I had the PM/IM interviews on the same day. For the PM interview they had 3 panels and as soon as it was time they divided us into 3 groups and took us to separate rooms and we had our GDs. No case studies, but only topic based GDs. Group size was around 12. No summary was asked. The interviews were normal interviews, lasted for around 20 minutes (on an average).

The PM and IM processes were exactly the same.

I have my PM/IM GD/PIs tomorrow and the HR thing the day after. I will try and post my experiences here as soon as possible.

Please excuse this post if you think it is misplaced here, as even I wasn't sure if I should write all this here but since Maverik asked us to, I have.

*Disclaimer* These were my last year's experiences NOT THIS YEAR'S... Subject to change.

now when i said i'd post my experience asap i really meant it i guess. still at mdi, done with pm, waiting for the im thing to begin. will post my pm experience in brief as m on my pda n it's a pain to type n also since the process will begin soon. pls excuse the sms lingo

each panel has 11 people. in my group all were present and all were guys.

the gd topic was "interlinking of rivers, a solution to end the water crisis in most parts". 2 minutes to think n 15 to discuss, although we discussed for abt 20. it was an aggressive gd, n not quite a fish market. the content i thought wa very good although it was not peaceful.

the interviews were handled by the same panel. on an average the interviews lasted for around 15 minutes. no stress. basic academics. mostly what u r doing at present n abt u in general. they copy your cat scores on ur pi form so do carry ur cat scorecard.

will edit this when m home. gotta rush. all the best to all.

ps: with this post i have proved i m an addicted pagal.
Also if u guys cud take the efforts of finding out t he names of the panelists either from friends or from the MDI website, it wud be very helpful for some of us. It is quite a surprise to see only 2 experiences posted till date.... Come on guys....

Cheers,
Shabad

one was a marketing prof the other an ob prof.

MDI PGPM at Bangalore .....24/03/2009 at 9 30 AM

Started on time ....
GD topic: Is the joining of Indian rivers ...a good enough solution for the water crisis??? ( i dont remember the exact words..)

initially 1 min to think ...n ...ponder over it ...

Fair GD ...Very decent people....though points circulating ....sometimes...nobody was an authority ..so ... we could not kind of discuss is specifically ..jus kept on coming with ...varying contexts...around 10 mins ...we wer asked to stop..no decent conclusion came up ....

Was called in second ....first guy ...some 20 mins ...

P1 P2

had a. laugh with them ...they announced my father's name ....initially.

P1: u are wearing spects ...now ..not in photo.. shaadi keliye khinchawyi hai kya photo ??

Me: ;)no sir ....some crap ...i spoke.

P1: so ...u r from jharkhand...
me: yes, i am from bihar basically..i reside in jharkhand ....

P1: where ?
me: muzaffarpur.

P1: wt it famous for ??
me: litchis n khudiram bose

P1 to P2: khudiram bose??
P2: wo apna freedom fighter ...
P1: achcha ..achcha good...

P1 : bhai ...litchi ..ke liye famous
hai ...maine to wo maliyabadi ..aam sune the ...

me : haan sir ...aam bhi achche hain ..but ltchis ...world class...sir...exported ....to all around the globe.

P1: tumne khaye to honge ?
me: sir pura bageecha hai ....apna ...khub khaye hain ...

P1: good good...track chng karta hun yaar ...ok ??
me: fine sir ...
P1: thnx for allowing me to ....what is CDO ??
me: no idea sir....

P1: what is MBS ??
me: ( how cud i not say this ...yaar ..so stupid of me ...)

P1: sensex kal kitna badha???
me: exactly nahi pata sir ....

P1: kya yaar ..u hv come for MBA intrvw ...shud kno these thngs ...
me: hmm..yes sir

p1: subprime ?? in short ...
me: gave a crisp ...two line answer..correct one..

p1: aur batao yaar ??
me: started ..detail ...ct shrt ....wht ..cash flow in US ...why why ??
p2: laughing ....leave it...

P1: wht is lalu doin to congress to bihar ?? wht do u thnk ??

me: gyaan !!!

p2: diff b/w monetary n fiscal policy ??
me: specifically, no idea sir...
p2: hehe ...kya yaar ...achcha ....budget kya hota hai ??
me: gyaan !!
p2: (guided me thru ..income expndtr deficit...)
me: managed

p2: deficit kitta hai ..budget ka humara ???
me: sir 6-7 %

P1: no ...:wow:

me: sir actually about 11 % ...sab total kar ke ...
p1: yes tht rt...

p1: IPL ...kya ho raha hai ..yeh sab whts happening ? i need ur views ?
me: gyaan !!!

p1: wt more can we talk bout ???
me: sir ..i read a lot...i also ....
p1: bas bas ...reading hi kaafi hai ...

p1: wht do ya read ?
me: fiction.

p1: jaise ?don tell me ayn rand n dan brown please...
me: sab authors ..i told ..which i read...

p1: shakespeare? charles dickens ?
me: no sir.
p1: u read only pulp fiction ..thts boring.

p1 : do u kno ..satyajit ray ...did he write nythng ...or he only ..directed...??
me: to my knowledge ..i dont kno ..of his writngs ..sir...

p1: soem french author who is vaery famous..n writes shrt stories in english ??
me: dont kno sir..

p1: u kno somerset maugham ?
me: heard of him sir.
p1: his most famous book ?
me: sorry sir ..no idea.
p1: spell out his name...
me: correctly done.

p1" jeffrey archer's latest novel??
me: a prisoner of birth ...(actually thst the last one i read ..its not the latest..latest is paths of glory 😞 )
p1: wht does jeffrey archer;s son do for a living ?
me: no idea sir
p1: wht does margaret thatcher's son do for a living ?
me: no idea sir
p1: wt else u do ..?
me: i surf the internet for any info ....on anythng..in my free time ...
i also played cricket...but ..some medical..issue ..si i dont do it now ...
p1: thts honest ...
me: hmm
p1: dhoni's peer group ...big star now ?? who's tht ??
me: all possible names ..i took ..
p1: i m talkin of as big star yaar ...
me: jus sat silently..

P1 to P2 : ask smthng ..
P2: no ...
P1: ok ....tht wud be fine ...
p1: anythng else u want to ask ?
me: thank you sirs...have a good day ..

p1: achcha ..us cat score ??
me : .....
p1: only PGPM u applied ...
me: yes sir ...

most of my answers were... "no idea, sir ..."

lets see wht happens .

@Anupam,

Was most of the interview really in Hindi? Or you have translated most of it?

@Anupam,

Was most of the interview really in Hindi? Or you have translated most of it?

it is as it is written bhai ....some part was in hindi ....don worry ..they dont do tht to non-hindi speaking junta ....
nyways ...it presents akind of uncomfortable situation out thr ...
if i reply bk in hindi ...tht may be seen as too comfortable.....
if i reply bk to a hindi questn in english ...
tht can be seen as like ...a bit cosmetic or haughty ....
nyways ..dont worry .

I had my GD/PI today...

Profile:
10th: 85%
12th: 88%
B.E. Chemical BITS Pilani, CGPA:
CAT 08: 98.85 %ile

venue: MDI Gurgaon.... awsum campus
time: 9 30 am, panel

11 ppl on the group, 2 panelists... i was 10th on the list
same GD topic as everywr else:
Is the joining of Indian rivers, a good enough solution for the water crisis?

GD was fine, one guy was dominating... rest every1 contributed lil... overall good discussion

PI: P1, P2 and me

P1: introduce ur self briefly
me: prerecorded ans...

P1: (cutting my intro in b/w)some questions related to my curriculum and industrial training
me: answered

P2: wat r ur hobbies?
me: answered ( adventur sports, traveling etc)

P1: so do u love travlng? where all hav u been?
me: told... have been to almost entire india... counted the places...

P1 & P2: some related questions about details and diversity of places...asked for specific names of the beaches in goa n all...
me: answered

P1: Tell some international news
me: told about things happening in india's neighbors pak,sri lanka, bangladesh plus the recession

P1: somethng related to Obama and how he will end the recession
me: general gyan

P1(one by one): do u follow politics? who is expceted to win this election? But Lalu said no govt without him etc........

me: general gyan

and some more similar questions....overall they were just taking opinions and checking out overall confidence... talking about general issues like IPL, nano polotics with every1 in the group. every1 came out of the intrvw room smiling...

All the best puys!

hey i might be off track but i need to know this...are people coming fir interview in suits or shirt n trouser (garmi hai bhai)

PROFILE:

Acads:
X 86.0
XII 85.6
Undergrad Major - GPA/%age B.Tech(CSE) 77.0%

Work-Ex:
NIL

CAT %ile:
DI 99.46
Quant 99.12
Verbal 98.36
Aggregate 99.86

Any other special thing abt u: Nothing relevant to here!

VENUE: MDI, Gurgaon

GD:
Topic: Oscars for Slumdog: Boon or Bane for India's Image
Number of Ppl present 12
Time: 1-1.5min to think, 15minute to discuss
Brief Snapshot of Discussion: Average discussion, although few crosstalks but no fish-market
Other Salient Details: After GD everybody was asked to give their views or summary.

PI:
Slot: 2:00PM
Panel Number: 3
Panel Members Intro:
P1(Left),P2(Right)

Questions:
One important thing: Interview was partly in Hindi & partly in English. I had therefore, also replied in same language as asked. But, it may be possible here, that i may switch language while typing.

(As usual order of questions may be different)
(After good afternoon etc.)
P1: Give us your scorecard
(I gave whole file & he asked me to open scorecard page)
(Then P1 dictated scores & percentiles to P2 while he wrote on profile sheet)
p1: What other calls do you have?
me: IIM-L,C,I,K
p2: Who is vice-chancellor of your university.
me: Told, I am not updated.. but told previous vice-chancellor.
p1: Dean?
me: Told
p2: Tell me any one question which you have prepared extensively.
me: Introduce urself.
p2: Ok. Introduce urself.
me: (Actually I never prepare any answer verbatim, just some points which i have in my mind.) Just framed sentences of my points there.... also follow latest in computers...
p1: What is the latest?
me: (Thinking: Honesty is the best policy!) Just recollected my thoughts and told.
p1/p2: Asked about Microsoft-Yahoo Deal
me: Told... Made a grammatical mistake in one of the sentence
p1: corrected me.
p1: What is a supercomputer?
me: Told a generic answer.
p1: Give me a technical answer
me: told about parallelism, advanced mathematical operations etc.
(p2 took my file and asked about my subject: Organizational Behaviour)
(There was some discussion on it, its credit, syllabus, what i studied and some questions on it. I dont know why but they didnt looked convinced... Although I didnt revised the subject for interview but guess i was talking sense..)
(Regarding one answer p2 even said "Ye to phatte marna hua!" :shock: frankly I wasn't bluffing, I just told what i remembered .. :-(

Now, p1 had a phonecall so he went to attend that

p2: tell me any topic which you are most comfortable with.. asked whether, politics, films, sports...
me: Economics
p2: Asked about how deflation may affect India..
me: Told -- Talked about decreasing growth, hence unemployment will rise, and average salary will dec.
p2: Any big economic news of yesterday?
me: Told about new 500bn$ plan..
p2: no thats global, tell india-specific
me: (I couldn't think of anything of such importance) Sir, its not entirely economic news but moving of IPL outside India is one)
p2: No, thats not purely economic news
(I was also thinking of nano, but if IPL is not such a news then nano also couldnt have been)
p2: do you read newspaper?
me: Yes
p2: Which newspaper?
me: Hindu
p2: Oh.. Hindu. Who is the editor of Hindu?
me: Dont know.
p2: So, you dont read newspaper regularly?
me: I do read newspaper regularly, but i dont know the name of the Editor.
p2: Do you have any questions?
me: no sir.
p2: That would be all
me: thank you sir

Verdict: Convert!!