[2009-2011] TAPMI GD/PI Experiences

Hey Puys, Please post your GD/PI experiences here. It’ll be useful for all prospective aspirants this year as well in the years to follow. Please follow the below mentioned format: *CAT %ile DI: VA: QA: OA: Acads Grad…

Hey Puys,

Please post your GD/PI experiences here. It'll be useful for all prospective aspirants this year as well in the years to follow.

Please follow the below mentioned format:

CAT %ile
DI:
VA:
QA:
OA:

Acads
Grad score & stream:
XII:
X:

Work Ex
Sector:
Number of years:

GD/PI date:

GD
Topic:
Details about the discussion:

Essay Topic:

PI
Details:

Note:
1. Please avoid spamming this thread, so post details regarding GD/PI experiences only in this thread.
2. You can add more details which you might feel would be relevant and helpful for other aspirants.

All the best to all the candidates

Check out the below mentioned links for previous year's GD/PI experiences:

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/tapmi-gd-pi-experiences-2008-25029650
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/tapmi-gd-pi-experiences-2007-25021222
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/gd-pi-at-tapmi-25002896

Deleted......

Hey Sriram ...
Just wanted to know whether this year GD/PI process is same as the previous year or something New has been added. As per my Knowledge the entire process consist of

1.GD
2.Written Summary of GD
3.Extempore
4.Interview
5.Director's Interview.

Also, Will be really thankful if you can confirm whether the entire process for all the applicants( today) was completed or some of them are called tomorrow for directors interview.

Many Thanks in Advance

Regards
iw@ntIIM

This year the process consists of the following:

1. Group discussion
2. Essay
3. Interview

The process got over in one day.

Please use relevant thread to pose queries regarding the process. Use this thread only to post GD/PI experiences.

Calling all puys who had their interview today to please post their experiences.

Cheers!
This year the process consists of the following:

1. Group discussion
2. Essay
3. Interview

The process got over in one day.

Please use relevant thread to pose queries regarding the process. Use this thread only to post GD/PI experiences.

Calling all puys who had their interview today to please post their experiences.

Cheers!

so this year no extempore and director interview??
can i book ticket for same nite??
so this year no extempore and director interview??
can i book ticket for same nite??

Can you please post on a relevant thread. Avoid spamming this thread.
Sr!r@m Says
Can you please post on a relevant thread. Avoid spamming this thread.

the othr post by othr guy is also off tht topic..its not a gd pi exp...
if u wanna ans ...ans it or othrwise leave it...

Hey Sriram, would workex poeple be asked on their graduation? plz reply.

Hi puys..
I had my interview yesterday
total 143 students were called for the interview and there were 7 interview panels...20-21 students in each panel.
out of 143, around 110 students were present..I was in panel 2 and in my panel 17 were present, out of which 3 were transferred to other panels..so in total we were 14 now, which was further divided into 2 groups of 7 each for th2 g/d process..
The g/d topic was, "Turmoil in SriLanka, should India intervene"
There were 2 moderators and we were given 10 mins to think and 20 mins to discuss...
then we had our essay test..the topic was, "Either modify ur dreams or magnify ur skills"..we were asked to write it in not more than 300 words...20 mins were given to complete the essay..
then i had to wait for almost 5 hours for my interview...it started at around 3:15 and i was the 11th in my panel
the same professors who took our g/d, took the interview..in my penal there were only 2 penalist, doth from Tapmi, bt in other panels there were 3, 2 from Tapmi and 1 alumni
They first checked my score, then
P1: y low scores in graduation?
told
P1: wht is NPV?HOw will u calculate it? wht is standard deviation? and few more questions from acads..
Told all..
P1: what is deficit, fiscal deficit? india's current fiscal deficit?
Told
then explain is it good to have a fiscal deficit 4 our country?
explained..he was satisfied..
then p2(ma'am): so u have completed ur graduation in 2008, wht were u doin all these days...
ME: blah-blah..was helpin my father in his business..this and that..
p2: so will u take a loan ?(this was 1 question which was asked to all)
ME: MA"AM I WILL TAKE A LOAN...
p2: and what if u r not placed?
ME: told them that it wont be the scenario..
p1: where were u when we were givin an introduction abt the college?
Me: i was there sir
p1: what was told abt the placements?
Me: that only 70% of the batch is placed till now
P1: so how can u say that u will b placed
Me: sir 30% of the batch is not placed till now bt m sure that it will be placed in the next few days
p1: what if its not placed or u r not placed?
Me: me explained...was satisfied
P2: nd wht abt the loan?
Me: told will ask my father to repay it...
Then P2 lookin to P1 and then they said ok, thank you..
Overall it was good..it lasted for 12-15 mins..bt the average time was around 25 mins and some people were grilled nicely...the scenario was same for all the panels...the entire process was over by 5:30..

Well puys...I had my GDPI at Tapmi today...i.e.17/03/09...

Reached d TAPMI NEW CAMPUS(magnificent, palatial,peaceful abode...some words to describe it...) at 7.15

Checked the Lists put outside and fed my TAPMI reg no in d system...

There were arnd 6 panels...14 students on an avg in each panel...Then we had a mini presentation on d Institute at 8.45 am...

Immediately aftr dt we were told to proceed 2 our Respective GdPi rooms...very well managed and a well thought out process(unlike what i had heard about last years process from PG forums)

neway like some one said earlier...we were divided into groups of 7 each...so while we had our GD,the other batch had their essay writing.

Our topic for GD was:"Are coalition Governments the way forward"

Peaceful and prty decent Gd...i wud say...js 7 ppl...wid 10 mins given 4 prepn and 20 mins for discussion..Wid 6 guys...n me d only gurl...d others were very cordial i wud say...so tuk d oppurtunity to introduce

By d way...we r free 2 conduct d GD our way...n d panel only pitched in once...to tell us dat last 5 mins were left....n there were 3 panelists...(from what I learnt later...all academicians)

Then we had the Essay writing session, topic was:"when you dont get what you love ,you should learn to love what u get"...300 words and 20 mins 4 dat.

some of d other Topics I heard from other panel students were:GD-Will Obama's policies save US...sumthng lik dt..

And essay topic:-"tears dont dry easily"...sumthng-sumthng

Neway all dis was dun away wid by 10.33am...

Den had my PI post Lunch...too lazy to write d whole account..bt can jss share wid u al d diff aspects dt diff ppl in my batch were quizzed on...

Guy#1---total acads....ws a Engineering fresher...so derivatives,maxima minima...etc:wow:

Guy#2---mentioned Quizzing as Hobby so was grilled on dt basically...cute Qns tho':D

Guy#3---Quizzed on why mba?how MBA??whr MBA??..

Guy#4---Work ex...totally...!!

Guy#5---agn work ex---:w00t:

Guy#6---dunno...

gurl#7(c'est moi:D)---Acads+Work ex+Why left ur job soon grilling!!!:wow:

It ws initially a Stress intrvu...whr i was cut short in whatever I said...bt gradually d panel was very friendly...amiable...and in fact wished me a Happy and Safe Journey back!!!

So...dt was my take...Overall I wud call it a very peaceful and enjoyable experience...

hope dis helps d others....

By d way...d canteen rocks...!!liked d Fresh Pineapple juice for 13 bucks..Value for money:D!!

anybody having gd on 22nd.... PM me.....

y.vamsikrish Says
Hey Sriram, would workex poeple be asked on their graduation? plz reply.

Yes it is possible ! Based on my experience last year, even students with work exp were quizzed on the subjects they mentioned as their 'main' subjects in the application form. All the Best !

one small question.
hw much time taken for Over all process can i expect to catch my bus @ 7 Pm on my interview date ?

Profile:

10th :69
12th :82
Grad (EEE- B.Tech) - 65.52 % ( with scores around 61% in 2nd and 3rd Years)

Work Ex:36 Months ( IT.....what else........)

GD : Turmoil in Srilanka, Should india intervene

Essay : Modify your Dreams or Magnify your Skills ( 15 mins -300 words limit).

Process:
one would be intially allocated to a panel each of 20. Then , the 1st ten would be in the 1st group of that panel and 11- 20 would be in the second group of that panel. On the day of my interview they were 6-7 members absent in each of the panel, thus each panel had 13-14 or sometimes even 11 as my panel did.

While the 1st group has GD , the second group had to take write the essay.

The GD process has already been explanied. 6-7 members only. lots of time, so CONTENT is very important i suppose than mere participation. more over the topics seems to be on world politics ,political conditions etc... so get that knowledge ryt away.

20 mins was a little long,we were almost running of gas by the end of it..

ppl in the second group of the panel be prepared to stay all day in campus, while for the ist group would finish the whole process by 1.00.

personal interview :

What is hte difference bet ween Information and Data?
Got so confused here . the youngest one in the panel was relentless. he just said, "no , i cant understand that" . i explanied once again , but in vain.

he was so determined to get a answer for that question , he tired in different ways , but i didnt give him .

Started off really horribly.

Then why wasted one year after 12th? again not satisfied
Why dip in the % in 2nd and 3rd years of Engg.?

Then y MBA? Said marketing!

Some discussion based on my answers and the out of the blue, i said this....

" to be honest , i CURSED Tapmi for making me take three leaves and made me come all the way to manipal".....did i say CURSED?????
Yes i said CURSED... all three of panel were surprisingly ok , anyway covered that up with some good words, though said everthing honestly...

Then Market yourself ? Why should tapmi select you? tried to convince them but could not!!!

Overall , the panel was real cool, Enjoyed the process, I would say an OK Interview, but messed it up many times.

Other Things i would like to mention :

Abt manipal : this place is amazing. I remember someone saying manipal to be remote in some other thread...it is no where Remote.... You can find an Salsa Dance school, 2 Medical Colleges, Dental College , a Cancer Research institute... 20-30 Lodges..... AIR Ticketing service with almost all airlines, and much more. This place is awesome.

Abt Tapmi New Campus....

This place is beautiful puys, u may get into IIMB or MDI or IIMI , but you never get such a location in thoose colleges. I suppose IIM Kozhikode or IIMS or may be GIM could compete with tapmi with regards to the locales

The new Campus really Rocks!!!

The library , befiitting for Post graduation Studies. 33K Books avalible. One huge large ..... book on Amitabh Bachahan is there too... easily 2 hours can be spent in the library.

Canteen :

the sweet Bun @ 5 bucks is awesome. so is the maggi noodles. I could imagine on a rainy day having the hot noodles, looking thru the Canteen windows into the hills and the valley... hmmmm

TAPMi seems to believe in giving back to the local society... THe auto guys, the lodge owners would make merry for the next 7 -8 days.

at last the lump in the throuat would be total of 9Lac+ for the fees and all .....Chew on that for a while.

Hope this helps and all teh best for remaining puys!!!

9 lakh + is it inclusive of text books, hostel, food and all?

Profile:

10th :69
12th :82
Grad (EEE- B.Tech) - 65.52 % ( with scores around 61% in 2nd and 3rd Years)

Work Ex:36 Months ( IT.....what else........)

GD : Turmoil in Srilanka, Should india intervene

Essay : Modify your Dreams or Magnify your Skills ( 15 mins -300 words limit).
kennyj_43 Says
9 lakh + is it inclusive of text books, hostel, food and all?

Please don't quote the whole mesg.

My take is that its inclusive of all except maybe the food bill per month, as on their site it says 6.46L tuition fee + 1.2L hostel charges for 2 years. This totals to 7.7L roughly. This means 9-10L including everything for 2 yrs.

My take is that its inclusive of all except maybe the food bill per month, as on their site it says 6.46L tuition fee + 1.2L hostel charges for 2 years. This totals to 7.7L roughly. This means 9-10L including everything for 2 yrs.

Here is the Break Up- hope i am not spamming. the below info was told to us in the Intro.

Course Fee = 6.96 Lac
Hostel for two Years = 1.3 lac
Addtional Fee = 55k ( i dont remember what is this for)
Food = 2k per month Approx

So approx = 9Lac +

sorry:D. I guess most Bschools charge this much and even more. So dont think the fees is too high.

kennyj_43 Says
sorry:D. I guess most Bschools charge this much and even more. So dont think the fees is too high.

But what's the average salary there ? ie for this year?
what's the highest?