[2009-2011] SPJIMR-Admissions related queries & discussions

Ohk finally the admission notice is out and its time for us to step into the shoes of our seniors

Its time for puys to come up with questions (something that I did a lot last year) and we will be here to help you all...

cheers

@MODS : Pls rename the thread as suggested by navneet...

hi all,

with 72 % in 10th an 79 % in 12th ..

80.7 % in grads..( B tech)....

1 year work ex ( as of now)..

how are my chances regarding sp jain.....

puys please tell..

I had reported this to the SP Jain administration earlier, but didn't get a reply. So posting it here so that it hopefully comes under attention.

The site SPJIMR - SP Jain Institute of Management & Research, Mumbai is not accessible guys! Because it's probably got a malicious software attack which is blocked by most browsers and Google itself.

Check this link - Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page for www.spjimr.org/

That's a Google diagnostic page indicating that the site is under a virus attack and inaccessible to most people. Here are two screen shots. The first one is Firefox's security filter itself blocking it. The second is a Google advisory against the site. Hope your admin guys take care of it! Let me know when you fix the problem, I'll delete my post from here so as to not interrupt discussions.

Added later - Search 'sp jain' on Google. Below both SP Jain Mumbai and Dubai search results, there's a message that says 'This site may harm your computer.'

navneet023 Says
As far as the eligibility criteria is concerned, you are completely eligible to get into the school....But what matters is how much you score in CAT/XAT/GMAT(whichever test you are planning to take),your profile(academic as well as non-academic) and obviously how you perform over their in the school's own elimination/selection process.

as the initial shortlisting is before CAT thus at my scores do i have a fair chance...???
Thanks

I would like to ask about the cut offs for SPJIMR for last year for various programmes,with respect to-
On the same lines, any information about the kind of weightage given to extra curricular activities and work experience will be highly sought after, so please post about these too.

@Navneet...
The cutoffs for PGDM as mentioned in the admission info is 85% for CAT and XAT and a score of 680 for GMAT.
In our batch the average percentile is around 97+

The procedure post calls consists of 2 rounds of group interviews, where if u clear the first round you appear for the next one same day..
I would suggest you not to conc too much on post call activities now as you should first conc more on your CAT

There is no defined weightage for as such but yes you need to have a good mix of acads and co curriculum...

PLS NOTE : There is nothing that should tell you that people with work ex are given extra preference or something like that, freshers also have the same chance of getting admission. Our batch has a lot of freshers and I am one of them
So to clear the air on Day 1 - Freshers and workex ppl have an equal chance of getting to SPJIMR

cheers
I had reported this to the SP Jain administration earlier, but didn't get a reply. So posting it here so that it hopefully comes under attention.

The site SPJIMR - SP Jain Institute of Management & Research, Mumbai is not accessible guys! Because it's probably got a malicious software attack which is blocked by most browsers and Google itself.

Check this link - Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page for www.spjimr.org/

That's a Google diagnostic page indicating that the site is under a virus attack and inaccessible to most people. Here are two screen shots. The first one is Firefox's security filter itself blocking it. The second is a Google advisory against the site. Hope your admin guys take care of it! Let me know when you fix the problem, I'll delete my post from here so as to not interrupt discussions.

Added later - Search 'sp jain' on Google. Below both SP Jain Mumbai and Dubai search results, there's a message that says 'This site may harm your computer.'

I can easily access our website....but in any case to be sure i will forward this to concernd ppl...it will be taken care of asap....
cheers
hi all,

puys please tell..

At this stage to comment on this would be very difficult cos the shortlisting will be done on your overall profile and the details that u fill in the form...I would say pls dont think much about the scores that you have got cos you cant do much about it...Even I did the same last year, its better you give your best in CAT..

I hope you are getting my point...

cheers

ATB..
hi all,

puys please tell..

Hi,

4 lines of profile is just not enough to gauge you as a person. I am sure you must be having lots of unique things about you. SPJIMR looks at you as a person. Acads, CAT, extracurrics, work ex, value system are all given weightages. So I think everyone has got equal chance of getting thru. :)

All the best!

Title changed as requested....

All the Best

Hello,

I'm new to this forum. Just wanted your suggestions regarding my credibility for getting into SPJIMR. Here they are:

Xth - 68%
XII - 75%
B.Tech - 8.1 (GGPA) from NIT, Bhopal
Company - Capgemini (2 yrs Exp-)
Received awards from IIT, Roorkee and NIT, Bhopal for Research papers
At school level have a couple of Science Olympiad and DAE recognitions
Also have done NCFM certification.

Hello,

I'm new to this forum. Just wanted your suggestions regarding my credibility for getting into SPJIMR. Here they are:

Xth - 68%
XII - 75%

Your profile is quite good and you can apply. Also, I think you have a lot more differentiating factors than what you have just mentioned. But remember, a lot will depend on the competition too. Hope you get the point.
Hello,

Xth - 68%
XII - 75%

@abhi
Like I said, its very difficult to comment on chances merely on the basis of absolute scores. Your profile looks good but then we actually cant say anything concrete on chances. Your profile will be considered in relation to many other profiles..
So i would say, take the CAT, give ur best and hope for the Best

cheers
ATB.
navneet023 Says
I agree the site shows that its not safe to be visited, but still you can visit it by removing the part of the url which is from google and leaving the part SPJIMR - SP Jain Institute of Management & Research, Mumbai ,...also u can visit the site directly.

My friend, of course I can do that. But then my computer stands to be infected because the site downloads malicious code along with the site pages.

Like I said, search for 'sp jain' on Google search and see what is written below the search result. Imagine the number of people who come to their site through Google and see that warning. If their application is online, it has the potential to directly affect the numbers unless they fix it.

I was going to send an SMS alert to the PG database about the SP Jain application but I'll now wait until the problem is fixed. SP Jain students - PM me when it is, I'll send the alert.

Hi puys,

Please go thru the dean interview which appeared here at PG. You will get a fair idea of what the institute may be looking for. But remember that this interview is 2 yrs old. So, many things may have changed

PaGaLGuY.com - The Everything of MBA, CAT 2008, GMAT, XAT, IIM - Interviews - Why and how does SP Jain give interview calls before CAT?

Hope this helps!

My friend, of course I can do that. But then my computer stands to be infected because your site downloads malicious code along with the site pages.

Like I said, search for 'sp jain' on Google search and see what is written below the search result. Imagine the number of people who come to your site through Google and see that warning. If your application is online, it has the potential to directly affect the numbers unless you fix it.

I was going to send an SMS alert to the PG database about the SP Jain application but I'll now wait until the problem is fixed. PM me when it is, I'll send the alert.

Hi Apurv,

I have brought this to the attention of the concerned people. The status shows that there has been no malicious activity for the last 90 days. I think the site is very safe to visit.
Hi Apurv,

I have brought this to the attention of the concerned people. The status shows that there has been no malicious activity for the last 90 days. I think the site is very safe to visit.

Buddy, you are misquoting them. This is what they have said...

No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

I don't know where you read that there has been no malicious activity. Hosting malicious software is not the same as malicious activity and has different connotations.

Actually what they say means something else - esoteric to web terminilogy. It means that the site has not hosted - as in deliberately hosted - malware. What they're saying is, it is not a Rogue site which deliberately hosts malicious software to cause problems - like one of those Russian or Polish sites.

It still means that the site is infected - though inadvertently. Anyway, it doesn't matter what I say. The Google Search result has an advisory against it and it will repel a mass of people whom you cannot contact to assure them. Good that you have reported it, hopefully it will get repaired to the benefit of all.

Hi,

Within just two pages of this thread, I came to know from seniors that SP Jain looks for the person we are.......it looks for "different" things......I am a guy with very good acads and moderately good extra curicullars....By moderately good I mean, had been asst. house leader in school, won a biiig bunch of certificatess in inter school competitions, like debates essays etc. presented some papers in college (NIT Rourkela)........Now I want to ask will those school and college level competition actually count as good extra curicullars or we are only looking for very very good extra curiculars only like inter district, inter state or inter national level competitions only???? Because I had read somewhere in PG last year that " For applying to SP Jain only writing that playing a guitar is ur hobby is not enough....U must excel in it like playing it in national or state level competitions"....so this doubt has indeed persisted since around half a year....please help me out.....

Hi,

Within just two pages of this thread, I came to know from seniors that SP Jain looks for the person we are.......it looks for "different" things......I am a guy with very good acads and moderately good extra curicullars....By moderately good I mean, had been asst. house leader in school, won a biiig bunch of certificatess in inter school competitions, like debates essays etc. presented some papers in college (NIT Rourkela)........Now I want to ask will those school and college level competition actually count as good extra curicullars or we are only looking for very very good extra curiculars only like inter district, inter state or inter national level competitions only???? Because I had read somewhere in PG last year that " For applying to SP Jain only writing that playing a guitar is ur hobby is not enough....U must excel in it like playing it in national or state level competitions"....so this doubt has indeed persisted since around half a year....please help me out.....

rest assured your acheivemnt in schools will indeed count towards your profile....and if u excel in something it adds more value to it...so come with what ever you have and give ur best shot cos you must remember one thing that at the end of the day you will be competing with many odr ppl and everything will be relative...

cheers

ATB

Well thanks for the suggestions. Just wanted to ask regarding the shortlisting and te admission procedure. The SPJAIN website says that " Selection Process:
Test score: CAT 2008 or XAT 2009 or GMAT (taken in 200.
This year SPJIMR will have the interview process scheduled during March 2009 through March 2008. Since the interviews commence before the CAT2008/XAT2009 results are declared, the short listing for the first round of interview will be on the basis of academic performance, versatility in extra-curricular activities and relevant work experience. Candidates who clear the first round will appear for a second round on the same day. However, the minimum score required to get the final offer is 85 percentile in CAT2008/XAT2009 or a score of 680 in GMAT taken in 2008

Interviews before the declaration of CAT results will be held in Mumbai only. Interviews after the CAT results will be held at other locations too, which will be announced shortly
."

Does it mean that the interviews will be done by the time CAT result comes and after that they will only ask for the CAT or XAT score??

Well thanks for the suggestions. Just wanted to ask regarding the shortlisting and te admission procedure. The SPJAIN website says that " Selection Process:
Test score: CAT 2008 or XAT 2009 or GMAT (taken in 200.
This year SPJIMR will have the interview process scheduled during March 2009 through March 2008. Since the interviews commence before the CAT2008/XAT2009 results are declared, the short listing for the first round of interview will be on the basis of academic performance, versatility in extra-curricular activities and relevant work experience. Candidates who clear the first round will appear for a second round on the same day. However, the minimum score required to get the final offer is 85 percentile in CAT2008/XAT2009 or a score of 680 in GMAT taken in 2008

Interviews before the declaration of CAT results will be held in Mumbai only. Interviews after the CAT results will be held at other locations too, which will be announced shortly
."

Does it mean that the interviews will be done by the time CAT result comes and after that they will only ask for the CAT or XAT score??

I can't tell you what will happen this year.

Last year, the first shortlist came out before the CAT results but interviews started after the CAT results were out ( but before XAT results). This shortlist was completely profile based. The other shortlists were out after the results. This does not mean that your CAT/XAT score will not be accounted for. All the components are equally important.