[2009-2011] IMI Delhi GD/PI Experiences

Hello dude/dudetts,
I suppose first batch is over with GD/PI..please post the expr..

Just thght of posting a msg so that thread comes in lime light again..

Please post your GD/PI experiences here. Do follow the below format.

hi ppl please post ur gd/pi experiences..finger crossed...:confused:

well still no1 enetred der exp:confused: hope some1 does by night....

hello puyz, let me do the honour

had IMI GD/PI process today at 8:30 at IIM B

Process strted with Essay..
IMI senior picked out 1 chit..
topic was "Does Intellectual property rights cause unnecessary expenses to developing countries".. I wanted this along with few others..but majority went with the 2nd topic which was
"Is India's Foreign policy dictated by US?"..
time: 15 minutes..
Caution: If u pick up the 2nd chit u r nt allowed to roll back choice,I mean nt allowed to go back to chit 1..

Then we had GD 14 members.. 15 min approx..
Topic: Global Warming
Most of the people had good GD..
Be ready to sumarize .. as in panel asks to sumarize in half way through gd as well as at the end..

Interview:
Same panel(2 Professors) as of GD..and one more professor..

interview was coool not stress..dint grill.. strted with my name "Swapnil"..den place.. den track record in academia nd work place..which I assume is good
why MBA?why IMI ? some questions on statistics, probability..
u r earning x.xx nw nd in 2 yrs u wld get y.yy so y IMI with z.zz avg pack..

also keep the photostat copies with u.. it is required..
nd doc verification is in tandem with PI..

dats all dude/dudettes..
hope it helps..
ATB..

hi puys,

I had my GD/PI today morning at IIMB at 8:30

We are divided into 2 groups of around 15 people. Two seniors were there to help us throughout the process.

they have explained the process and duration for all the tasks

First task : Essay writing (10min)

we will be given a topic. If we dont want to choose it we can go for the next one. But once you reject the first topic you have to choose the second one

Our topic : Trade in human organs is yet another example of exploitation of the poor by the rich

Second task : GD ( 3 min to think and 12 min for GD)

panel entered here ( I : Industry guy , P1 : HR prof , P2 : Marketing prof)

Choosing of the topic is similar to the essay

Topic : Rural Vs Urban development

2 to 3 guys with loud voice dominated the GD but as a whole it was okayish. 2 people who spoke for less time were asked to summarize the GD after the 12 min.
I have entered only twice in the GD and that too in the last.

Final task : PI

my number was 2nd in my group. Panel is same for GD and PI
P1 : How do u rate your GD performance
me : not as expected and did spoke twice in the interview.

I wrote my limitation as :shy in public speaking

P1: Is your limitation the reason for not entering or dont you have points
me : I said its mainly because of my limitation and I said I do have points which were not discussed in the GD and gave some facts abt the topic

p1: What have you done to overcome this
me: I gave some well prepared stuff

Why MBA? Why is the career switch?why do u want to quit TCS?what do you do in TCS?

P2 : wer ru from
me : Vijayawada
p1 : You are from Andhra. So why didn't you go for MS
me : I said my ambition and they grilled me abt the goal for next few minutes

finally they gave me an advice to check Tata administrative services which will help my goal a lot and asked me whether I have any questions.

I said I dont have any questions and came out.

Interview went for about 10 - 15 min for everyone. they are letting you talk but one should be aware of everything you write in the form and everything you speak

If you use some jargons like strategy,team skills,leadership you will be grilled much. Be aware of those words before you speak.

Seniors were helpful and are answering all the ques honestly ...

All the best to all of you..

My second Interview of this season and of all times
Here is how it went:

CAT %le (OA, QA, DI, VA): (98.09, 94.63, 69.39, 98.59)
Work-Ex: 36 months in IT
Graduation Score & Stream: 68.34 in Comp Science Engg
XII score:83.2
X score:81.4
Any other Achievements: Played Football at KVS Nationals
GD/PI center: Bangalore
GD/PI (date & time): 22nd Feb, 1:30
GD/PI experience: See Below
Any Suggestions: Can we have less number of panelists Just kidding :)

We were divided into 2 groups. I was under panel 2.
We were taken to the first floor where we were briefed about the process by a senior from PGDM-HR. Then we were taken to the room where we were to be shaeedofied
First it was the essay. The first topic was something related to organ transplant being used by the rich to exploit the poor. Nobody wanted that Then next chit was taken out. We had to write on this topic. And it was a topic everyone can write at least 10 pages on: Describe yourself
Wrote about a page. I think I structured it well. Next was the GD. The topic was "Parliamentary system: A critical review". Someone said lets take a mandate. Don't know what the panelists thought and without voting, we were asked to write down our thoughts on the topic and then start :confused:
The group was by and large well behaved. I was more into listening in the beginning so was asked in the middle of the GD to sumamrise what was talked till now. Another guy who hadnt talked was also asked to summarise. Then we continued the discussion. Came in with a point towards the end and had undivided attention for a while . We were asked to stop abruptly and asked to come to a consensus outside the GD room :eyepop:

PS: They clearly mentioned not to make it a macchi bazaar and one guy was reprimanded for cross talking :eyepop:

Anyway, decent essay and ok-ish GD.

Now for the PI. I am in a dazed state of mind and only remember some of the ques.
There were 5 distinguished gentlemen on the panel and one BKB (Bali Ka Bakra aka me )
Panel: Something about my acads. Xth marks, XII marks. Why after doing schooling from Mumbai did I do my engg from VTU.
BKB: Answered. They didn't seem convinced, more questioning, more answering. Seemed ok in the end
P: What was your role in the job?
B: Answered. Coding, design, reviews, team lead for system test phase blah blah.
P: So u were into testing department?
B: (Its not that only testing dept does testing :eyepop:) No sir. Explained how it happened in our account. Seemed convinced.
P: So you are not working presently? Why?
B: Answered something.
P: Dont you think its a risk? You left in Jul 2008. Recession had started then
B: You might call it a risk sir but I am confident of getting a seat.
P: But you did not get any IIM calls, how can u be confident.
B: (Wanted to say if I had got IIM, I would not have been sitting here ) IIMs are not the end of it sir. I believe I can get into another good college.
P: Ok which all calls?
B: Told some 4-5 out of the 8 .
P: So you might not get into any of these.
B: Sir I believe I will.
P: Ok, so you are crazy about MBA. Now convince us.
B: (:eyepop: what do they want me to tell) Sir what exactly do you want me to speak on?
P: No no, you are crazy about MBA. Convince us.
P: 3 top industrialists of India
B: This is where I froze like a deer caught in the headlights 😞 Blabbered NRN, Ambanis and Premji.
P: Explain Ambani empire.
B: (Dazed) umm uh umm uh textile ummm energy.
P: Energy?
B: No sorry thats ADAG. umm uh umm uh (Dont know what happened to me. I just froze)
P: Leave that. Say something to show how you are crazy about MBA.
B: Started about my rata hua why MBA ans. Got till finance part when I was stopped.
P: Ok so you must be reading business papers and stuff. Talk about something finance.
B: Said abotu interim budged aka vote on account.
P: Something about why is it called vote on account etc.
B: Answered
P: Under what heads is the budget presented?
B: (Its over my head :confused:) I did not get you sir
P: Heads. Like expenditure etc.
B: Broadly income and expenditure. Also mentioned things like deficit etc
P: What is deficit? what is planned expenditure? What is this what is that what is this universe or something like that :confused:. (it was like a 5 headed monster attacking me)
B: Not sure sir.
P: Six sigma?
B: Said 99.96 instead of 99.997
P: More grilling.
B: uh umm uh umm phusssss
P: Ok Hegde you may go (the lead panelist addressed me as Hegde from beginning to end )
B: Thank you sirs (Jaan bachi aur lakhs gained )

I am kissing IMI goodbye. If I get it, it will be more of a miracle than Liverpool winning the 2005 Champions League after being 3-0 down

My second Interview of this season

CAT %le (97.17)
Work-Ex: 30 months in IT
GD/PI center: Bangalore
GD/PI (date & time): 22nd Feb, 1:30

I was under panel 1( arnd 10 ppl 2 were absent)

A senior from IMI was there always to describe each processes,what the panel looks in us and above all he was very friendly to answer any questions regarding IMI ..Once again I am thanking him for making us feel comfortable thru out the stages

First it was the essay. Time Given:15 minutes

Topics were

1."Does Intellectual property rights cause unnecessary expenses to developing countries".. I wanted this along with few others. (Rejected by the team) :unhappy:
2."Is India's Foreign policy dictated by US?" (but what to do ?the grp decided to go 4 this)

GD Topics ( 15 mins I believe
1.Interimm Budget Review Rejected by the team ( else I would have landed in trouble..thanx to the team members)
2.Social Auditing ----blah blah blahh()

Both essays and GD went OK for our team

Now for the PI.

There were 4 Gentlemen(P1-P4) and one lady(L) out of which two Gentlemen(P1 & P2) moved out in the middle.

PI was generally regarding your personal stuffs and work related questions only .

P1: What all interviews u had till now?
me:Answered
P3:where u come frm?
me: told
P3: Two three work related questions and asked if he were a client how would I deal with him
me: told
P3: asked if he were a client how would I deal with him
me: told whatever stuffs came to my mind then :banghead:
P4:Grilled in to my achievements and asked some questions regarding that
me::banghead:
P3:questions like y MBA?
me :told somethg abt ppl skills and all
P3:then HR would be better 4 u (actually I have applied only for PGDM)
me:told somethg
L(till then she was silent):which newspaper u read?
me :The Hindu
L:CEO of Satyam?
me:donno madam:innocent:
L:CEO of TCS(I work ther)
me:answered:wow:
L:ok who is the chairman?
me:told:wow:
P4:u heard of TAS(Tata Administrative Services)
me:yes sir,told abt tht and told some reasons y I am not considering that option now:confused:
P3:hmmm(luckily no questions after that from TAS)

P3:gave some gyan abt TAS
P3:Do you want to ask us any Q's?
me:asked abt hostel facilities:

P3 and L told tht depends on availability
me ok sir,:thumbsup:
P3 ,L P4 :Ok thanx
me Thank you sir

Overall it was a good experience thou donno abt the results .....

My second Interview of this season

L:CEO of TCS(I work ther)
me:answered:wow:
L:ok who is the chairman?
me:told:wow:
P4:u heard of TAS(Tata Administrative Services)
me:yes sir,told abt tht and told some reasons y I am not considering that option now:confused:
P3:hmmm(luckily no questions after that from TAS)

P3:gave some gyan abt TAS
P3:Do you want to ask us any Q's?
me:asked abt hostel facilities:

P3 and L told tht depends on availability

Hi Puys,

Even I am from TCS and I have been asked the same question..

All the TCSers, check abt TAS guys....

If you say you have an entreprenuer dream they are suggesting that courses like TAS are enough for fulfilling your dream and asking why are you coming for an MBA in particular if you have that dream...
CAT %le (OA, QA, DI, VA): (97.56, 96+, 94+, 90+)
Work-Ex: 18 months in IT Major (second largest in india)
Graduation Score & Stream: 83.62 in ECE
XII score:83
X score:83
Any other Achievements: No Major but some scholarships and olympiad certificates
GD/PI center: IIM Bangalore (Best part of the Process)
GD/PI (date & time): 23rd Feb, 1:30
GD/PI experience: will follow (loads of humorous content)
Any Suggestions: Panelists thode se young ho to

hello puys,

2 groups of around 13 people each. Two seniors were there to help us though they were boasting a lot about IMI (dont know what to trust)

Awesome campus (IIMB) i roamed there for about 1 hour went to canteen ... saw the 3 idiots team hoarding.... met some future enterpreneurs there.... ... pata nahi wahan ja kar college ki alag si feel aa rahi thi... total mood changed ......dont know whether will take these instis this year or wait for one year more.....

Any ways seniors were very helpful and help us to feel at ease.........
Met a couple of familiar faces there (freakingbubu.... total dude , itsshashiranjan..... welll thoda crazy hain and shilpa.jhamb ........ mast ladki hain totally delhiite)
Baki bhi the group mein par inse pehle mila hua tha so we talked a lot about all the MBa collges in india.. leave it thats

First task : Essay writing (15 min)

A topic was given for the essay writing. If you do not want to choose it then next one. But that will be final....

Our topic : Your measures of success..

Dont know what i wrote in those 15 minutes but was able to fill one side of the A-4 paper.. time up and they took the sheet back... had couple of 99+ in our groups too who had IIM calls too..

Immediately Second task : GD (3 min to jot down and 15 min for GD)
Topic 1: Ecology and Goegraphy or soemthing like that almost everyone rejected this so

Topic 2: Crisis in Globla Banking (chalo ye sahi hain )

Total bakwaas Gd for me .. was about to speak when panel interrupted us and told that no cross talks will be tolerated... i was like :eyepop: IMT ka Gd aagar inhone dekh liya to pata nahi kya hoga.... total group was scared and discussion went hay wire got into dicussuion couple of times but as they have warned us so every one was total shaant... :confused: pata nahi kya gaalat hua.... chalo ye khatam hua they asked two girls to summarize and she summmarized beautifully.....
Sub prime loan se lekar gita ke shoalk dicuss kar diye humne

coming to the best part PI of course.....

panel 2 (grillling one meri kismat hi kharab hain )

Last one to enter in the room
( I : Industry guy , P1 : HR prof , P2 : Marketing prof)

Chalo shuru ho jayo hasna was completely tired and Bad GD also came in effect plus no weightage to CAT scores (sone pe suhaga)

P1 : Hmm Ye MSIT kya hain ??
me : Sir blah blah ...... my college did my BTech ....

P1: Your Marks are good (this is the only saving grace)
me : Sir consisent hain............

p1: Ok Who is this maharaja surajmal (coming from my college name)
me: told some thing who was he and his tenure and what ever i recalled

P1 : from which state maharaja surajmal was ....
me :: made soem wild guess and then was caught in the mid

P1 : beta nahi pata to mat bolo......
me ...:confused::confused::confused:

P1: apne work ke bare me batayo....
me some blah blah.....

P1: some totally grilled questions on my work pata nahi mera manager ko bhi pata hain ki nahi...
me ... Lag gayi ab to....

P1: work detail me chala gaya...
me: :eyepop::eyepop:

P2 takes over... and csoem basic general qusetions
then telecommunication comes into picture

P2: what is the market share of telecom industry... how mush is the indian population and many more...
me : totally devastated.. koi rasta nahin nazar aa raha bachne ka....

P2; soem why mba stufff (ab to chod do bache ki jaan loge kya :robot:)

Finalllly it was over and they thanked me for making their day ......
but suddenly i was asked about other calls .. I told then all ...
then they say 2 minutes more Mr. Shivam (chal beta aaj to paakka lagegi)

they asked me how many interviews i have went through and what is the main difference between the processes .. which one will u prefer... :detective:

finally they gave me an advice to brush up my knowledge and bade me bye for ever i guess.....

Ye kall convert hui na to mere liye eight wonder of the world hoga......
finaaly bade good bye to alll the puys over there shared expeiences with them and then back to mysore... kafi lamba season tha bangalore to mumbai to bangy and then to mysore....

Seniors were helpful and are answering all the ques honestly ...

All the best to all of you..

my second gdpi ever

cat : 95.71 %ile
work ex : 15 months in IT
Bangalore IIMB 23rd feb , 8.30 AM

Reached there around 20 minutes before time (it was close to my friend's place ). what an amazing campus it is.
anyway i was not able to roam , but still , its amazing.

waited for around 10 mins , then 2 IMI seniors came (for 2 panels). We were taken to the room for panel 1.
waited for sometime for other aspirants to come.
Then the senior gave the topic(asked one of us to pick it) for essay(till that time ,none of the panelist came) . i don't remember the first one , it was bit difficult for me to understand and we were not comfortable. so we decided to go for 2nd one (even the senior said "i would say , take the 2nd one" ).
The 2nd topic was much easier than the first one , it was
organ transplant being used by the rich to exploit the poor .
we were given 12 minutes to write the essay. i gave a thought for around 2 minutes. then started writing it. thought of a logical flow (even though i knew flow will not be there ) and started writing it. then after 11th minute , senior said "1 minute remaining , u can write ur concluding sentences". then i concluded. i looked around and ppl had hardly written a full page. only 1 lady wrote around more than 1 page. and i looked my essay : it was more than 1.5 page (dont know , what to take from it ).
forgot to tell : we were told that , what they are looking from the essay is the written communication , not the content . they are more bothered about ,how well u can put ur thougts into paper.

by that time 2 panelist had already taken their place(good knows , from where they came , didnt noticed them).
soon they were joined by 2 more panelists.

then panelist , gave the brief of what they are looking in a gd. they explicitly mentioned the words like : leadership skills, moderating skills , content,etc.

we were sitting in a U shape around a table , and luckily i was in the middle of the group , so was actually facing the panel(it helped me , will tell u later) .they gave the topic (asked one of us to pick it ) , once again it was some wierd topic ,and it was abstract:huh:. this time it was clear that we wont take it (once again i dont remember the topic , sorry for that ) .
so we asked for 2nd topic , it was much better :
Globalisation and labour

They gave 2 minutes to think about it. within 1.15 minutes had lots of points on my page , was just waiting for the signal to start. i was confident to start the gd. after the signal : around 2-3 ppl tried to start it , but after 2-3 seconds , i was the one who continued , gave an introduction of globalization and was about to relate it to labour , i was cut short ( i was waiting for it , didnt wanted to spills the beans so early, wanted to keep the points for the rest of the gd ) . then kept silent for next 30 secs .There was a time when 5-6 ppl were speaking at the same (fish market) , and i was happily watching them. as soon they stopped , pitched in, put points. then same way gave around 5-6 points on :

1. how process have improved and its affect on labour ,
  2. competition in global market ,
  3. wages, health issues ,
  4. political issues (tried to relate sri lanka issue, where britisher took ppl from tamil nadu to lanka).

i noticed (as i was in the middle of the U shaped group) that whenever i was giving some new points( like health issues, political issues , labour laws ,coorperate governance ) panel was marking something as soon as i was pitching in some new points ( it boosted my confidence) . then came the best part : i wanted to try final trick , so i thought of moderating , asked one lady (she was only one lady , and she had tried 3-4 times to speak, but was not heard) that , she must be having some gud points to add , and then she started to speak . immediately 3 panelist made a note on the paper.
my job was done. impression was created , and i was aware of that.

then gd was interrupted (it was nearing end) by one panelist, and asked one person to summarize as he didnt spoke at all.

after that we were asked to wait outside the room. my turn was i guess 6th . in that time , the senior gave lots of info about imi , current scenario, what are panelist expecting from us. he was telling about the kind of profile ppl have , who join IMI , and then he told he is a doctor and is doing PGDM-HR , wow. very friendly person.

then came my turn ( was expecting that something would be discussed about the GD). i entered the room, there were the same 4 panelist , lets say P1 (senior faculty),P2 (another senior faculty) , P3 (industry guy), P4 (dont know , who he was ) , but i must say everybody was very experienced.

me : wished them , took the seat.
P2 : so u were the first one to ( he was cut short by P1 , why man i wanted to discuss on that , showcase my proactiveness , had lots of it to show , anyway)
P1 : ok , amit tell me about urself
me : told , started with work ex , roles responsibilty , then they went deep into it , other responsibilties ( i spoke for around 5 mins , who would stop if asked to speak on himself , but actually they were asking questions on what is that , how , why it happens). At the end they seemed that now they dont have anything to ask from work ex
P1 : so amit ur doing so many things at ur work, then why would u want to leave company like infosys.
me : started with gyan that its not about leaving infy , its about , does it fit into my long term goal , how is it helping me to achieve it, am i able to apply my skills over there. right now i am doing focussed job. not able to have a broad vision. other gyan
P2 : whats ur long term goal
me : to be an entreprenuer after 15-20 yrs(kya karu yaar , sab yehi bol rahe hai to)
p2 : dont u think everybody is saying the same thing. is it that , the coaching insitutes tell u to speak this same thing.
me : said no , they dont teach this thing ,gave some gyan on what i want to do. i told him , that coaching institutes tell us to introspect , identify ur goals.
p1 : but we are not here to produce enterprenuers (:new_ukliam2:) , we produce managers to work in industry :death:
me : told them to be an enterprenuer it requires managerials skills+ exposure + experience . managerial skills bskool will impart. exposure comes with diversified environment+experience comes with time and the responsibilties.
p2 : but we teach our students the tools ,not how to be an enterprenuers
me : agreed , but apart from that tools/technical skills(finance , mktg,etc) a student also learns people handling skills (its implict) , conceptual skills (to handle unexpected situations ) then gave example of current recession where a manager who can survive will have conceptual skills.
p3 : (suddenly he woke up ) listen amit , i am an enterprenuer , i run factories , and i am also from academia , then he gave lots of gyan , on how enterprenuers & mba doesnt make sense.
me : i gave a reply saying that , it requires risk taking ability to be an enterprenuer. told them there are enterprenuership cell within IMI, where business plans are discussed and encouraged.
p2 : amit , we at IMI ,teaches intraprenuership , do u know about it?
me : yes ( i read on imi site that sometime in nov , dec ,last year , there was a summit on intraprenuership, but god knows why i didnt told them, it wud have given a gud impression that i am aware of things :eyepop:)
p4 : (he also realised that he should also speak) so amit , ur background is computer science , so u wud be venturing out in tech field only
me : no sir , one more reason to do mba is diversification. i am open to options. if i feel even after 12 yrs there is oppurtionity and im comfortable and capable enough, i ll grab it , and it may be from any field.
p2 : so ur flexible and open to options
me : yes sir
p2 : ok , amit do u have any other questions
me : yes , isnt it possible to have the whole hostel within the campus , i know there are constraints , but it will add to the group work,group task.
p1 : gave info about it
p2 : gave some more info about it
p1 : ur from which place , actually we give preference to outstation students for hostel
me : i m from ncr , ghaziabad
p1 : oh , u wud be given last preference in hostel allocation
me : no probs ( why me , i want the hostel )
p2 : (he stood up , and shook hand with me ) amit , thank you
me : thank u sir , and then said thanks to other panelist

now i dont know , what to take from the PI , i am confused about it. they kept on grilling me about the enterprenuer thing.
lets wait and watch.

feedbacks/questions are welcome

Result : converted the call in second list , joining IMI

regards,
amit

I had my GDPI today.
Date: 24/02
Venue: Mumbai
Work Ex: 3 yrs
BE Comp Engineer

There were a couple of seniors arranging the proceedings. They gave some info about IMI and the profs there. Nice guys. The proceedings started after 1.30. The hall was AC and the arrangements were good. There were a couple of guys who had preponed their GDPI from 25th. So unfortunately there were 14 ppl in the group. Why unfortunate? Because it was bound to create another IMT-G GD like scenario.

The first task was essay writing. 15 min. The topic: "India's foreign policy is dictated by the US". Topic change was allowed only if majority vote against it. Nobody objected to the topic and so we began writing. The writing paper is provided by the IMI guys. I wrote good stuff(I think) It was good in content and structure (I don't know what they want though). Overall, essay writing was satisfactory for me.

Then the second task was GD. Topic: Social impact of slowdown
Once again it was same like GD of IMT. No fish market and only some crosstalk but overall no point in the discussion. Everyone just wanted to puke out the points. Everyone wanted to be heard saying something rather than discuss. There was hardly any talk about 'social impact'. People were pouring all they knew about the recession. A second such experience in GD (after IMT) has really depressed me. This was worse than IMT. At least there it happened for only 8 min. Here it continued for 15 min. I tried to speak at least 5 times but i doubt anyone was aware that discussion is a give and take process. A couple of guys were way too aggressive. I am leaving this here. I have no clue what the institutes want to see in GDs.

Then came the PI. Same 3 panelists (all denoted by P).

P: So why did you speak so less in GD?
Me: (I wonder why?)

P: So tell me something about your qualities and why we should accept you?
Me Talked about my strengths

P: Why not start MBA right after graduation?
Me: Stressed upon the importance of work ex and how it will be useful for me

P: Why wait for so long? Isn't 3 years too much work Ex? Instead, why don't you go for an Executive MBA?
Me: (was in fix now because of the way i gave previous answer) Blah Blah.. I wasn't too convincing here i guess. Panel 1-0 Me

P: Grilled me on my goals, asked about specialization and why, are you looking for the coveted corner office? ( yes actually)
Me: Gave good answers to begin with but each answer sprouted new questions. and ultimately... Panel 2-0 Me

P: What can you tell me about the scope of growth in telecom in India?
Me: :confused: Where did this come from? Nothing related to what i had said earlier. I spoke about telecom having good scope for expansion coz of still many underdeveloped parts, etc

P: Asked about some figures related to telecom usage.
Me: Panel 3-0 Me (I was thinking of the happy times i used to have before i decided on doing an MBA :icecream:)

P: Ok. If i have to invest in a telecom company, where should i invest?
Me: Gave my answer.

P: Asked me the current share price of Idea and Nokia (??)
Me: Panel 4-0 Me ( I definitely wanted to leave now)

P: There were also some other questions.. all small stuff that i answered well

P: Final question... What is your CAT score?
Me: Told.. (Why ask CAT score if it is not gonna impact the second round?)

Overall, it wasn't a feel good PI for me. Wasn't a stress one either. Panelists were cool and knowlegdable. The IMI seniors were very helpful and friendly.

Now for a suggestion to the IMI seniors:

Do you think the GD as it is conducted now a satisfactory process? 15 ppl thrown into the GD. It doesn't really matter if the time limit is 8 min(for IMT) or 15 min(for IMI). People just forget its a discussion. Rather it becomes important how many times you enter the GD and what points you make. No one challenges or supports the point or continues with the point as should be the case. Before someone is heard out, the other ppl are dying to rush in with their pre-decided point. It's just an outpouring of points after points. What exactly does this process check other than blind aggression? I have a work Ex of 3+ years. I am a part of discussions almost everyday. Brainstorming sessions, group calls, presentations, team meetings and stuff are a regular thing for us. Nowhere have i come across a situation where one needs to be remotely this aggressive. The only place where such aggression is needed is the Parliament. My suggestion is: Can you guys come out with a new innovative process to judge the qualities that are supposed to be judged through the GD? Or at least the groups should be of 8 people max so that a decent "discussion" is carried out and you can judge people.

Maybe you guys don't agree with my views but the thread did say give suggestions to improve process

I had my GDPI today.
BE Comp Engineer

There were a couple of seniors arranging the proceedings. They gave some info about IMI and the profs there. Nice guys. The proceedings started after 1.30. The hall was AC and the arrangements were good. There were a couple of guys who had preponed their GDPI from 25th. So unfortunately there were 14 ppl in the group. Why unfortunate? Because it was bound to create another IMT-G GD like scenario.

The first task was essay writing. 15 min. The topic: "India's foreign policy is dictated by the US". Topic change was allowed only if majority vote against it. Nobody objected to the topic and so we began writing. The writing paper is provided by the IMI guys. I wrote good stuff(I think) It was good in content and structure (I don't know what they want though). Overall, essay writing was satisfactory for me.

Then the second task was GD. Topic: Social impact of slowdown
Once again it was same like GD of IMT. No fish market and only some crosstalk but overall no point in the discussion. Everyone just wanted to puke out the points. Everyone wanted to be heard saying something rather than discuss. There was hardly any talk about 'social impact'. People were pouring all they knew about the recession. A second such experience in GD (after IMT) has really depressed me. This was worse than IMT. At least there it happened for only 8 min. Here it continued for 15 min. I tried to speak at least 5 times but i doubt anyone was aware that discussion is a give and take process. A couple of guys were way too aggressive. I am leaving this here. I have no clue what the institutes want to see in GDs.

Then came the PI. Same 3 panelists (all denoted by P).

P: So why did you speak so less in GD?
Me: (I wonder why?)

P: So tell me something about your qualities and why we should accept you?
Me Talked about my strengths

P: Why not start MBA right after graduation?
Me: Stressed upon the importance of work ex and how it will be useful for me

P: Why wait for so long? Isn't 3 years too much work Ex? Instead, why don't you go for an Executive MBA?
Me: (was in fix now because of the way i gave previous answer) Blah Blah.. I wasn't too convincing here i guess. Panel 1-0 Me

P: Grilled me on my goals, asked about specialization and why, are you looking for the coveted corner office? ( yes actually)
Me: Gave good answers to begin with but each answer sprouted new questions. and ultimately... Panel 2-0 Me

P: What can you tell me about the scope of growth in telecom in India?
Me: :confused: Where did this come from? Nothing related to what i had said earlier. I spoke about telecom having good scope for expansion coz of still many underdeveloped parts, etc

P: Asked about some figures related to telecom usage.
Me: Panel 3-0 Me (I was thinking of the happy times i used to have before i decided on doing an MBA :icecream:)

P: Ok. If i have to invest in a telecom company, where should i invest?
Me: Gave my answer.

P: Asked me the current share price of Idea and Nokia (??)
Me: Panel 4-0 Me ( I definitely wanted to leave now)

P: There were also some other questions.. all small stuff that i answered well

P: Final question... What is your CAT score?
Me: Told.. (Why ask CAT score if it is not gonna impact the second round?)

Overall, it wasn't a feel good PI for me. Wasn't a stress one either. Panelists were cool and knowlegdable. The IMI seniors were very helpful and friendly.

Do you think the GD as it is conducted now a satisfactory process? 15 ppl thrown into the GD. It doesn't really matter if the time limit is 8 min(for IMT) or 15 min(for IMI). People just forget its a discussion. Rather it becomes important how many times you enter the GD and what points you make. No one challenges or supports the point or continues with the point as should be the case. Before someone is heard out, the other ppl are dying to rush in with their pre-decided point. It's just an outpouring of points after points. What exactly does this process check other than blind aggression? I have a work Ex of 3+ years. I am a part of discussions almost everyday. Brainstorming sessions, group calls, presentations, team meetings and stuff are a regular thing for us. Nowhere have i come across a situation where one needs to be remotely this aggressive. The only place where such aggression is needed is the Parliament. My suggestion is: Can you guys come out with a new innovative process to judge the qualities that are supposed to be judged through the GD? Or at least the groups should be of 8 people max so that a decent "discussion" is carried out and you can judge people.

Maybe you guys don't agree with my views but the thread did say give suggestions to improve process

I had my GDPI today.

yes,i totally agree.......16 ppl,8 mins!!!!!ppl jst wanna create a fish arket...they hav forgottn the meanin of discussion
i seriously feel u ppl shud have group tasks......it clearly judges a no. of things......or,plz mak the no of students 8-10......so that it cn be a dicussion,not a fish market.my imt got ruined coz of all this
I had my GDPI today.
BE Comp Engineer

dude i am not IMI senior but still would like to say something on this front !!
In our centre it was 12-13/group dont knw if its 15 in mumbai..
But still the time does matter..effectively a guys is getting 1 min compared to 30 secs in IMT. I am not saying its more than enough to reach a colclusion but still we are getting more time to pour in our view.

As far as meetings and GD are concerned I believe they can not be compared. I can bet that if the same guys in GD are thrown in to discuss something about work place or any new initiative they wont behave the same. Most of guys even wouldnt open thier mouth, but when it comes to GD since its question of career everyone would want to come in with high volume so as to reach the panelist. Even experienced guys are helpless in such situatins and lastly they become part of the crowd.
So its not only about no of ppl but also to a more extent our attitude.
I believe 1 min is ok for a person to comment his views about topic and at the end 2-3 mins for conclusion. So the real life situation of a meeting can not be compared with a discussion for any entrance test. I have seen many incidents of guys who are super kool in meetings but become aggressive in GD cos its matter of their career. Even I was a part of few Gds where candidates where 7-8 in nos but still it resulted in fish market cos of attitude of students.

To some extent group task can be used here but again judging one's communication skill and expression of variety of thoughts in group will go for a toss. I believe GD is still a good platform to judge peopl'e group behaviour (Personal opinion though).

And I guess suggestions can be thrown to IMI anytime as this is the only insti known to me who takes feedback seriously and work on it quickly !!
dude i am not IMI senior but still would like to say something on this front !!
In our centre it was 12-13/group dont knw if its 15 in mumbai..
But still the time does matter..effectively a guys is getting 1 min compared to 30 secs in IMT. I am not saying its more than enough to reach a colclusion but still we are getting more time to pour in our view.

As far as meetings and GD are concerned I believe they can not be compared. I can bet that if the same guys in GD are thrown in to discuss something about work place or any new initiative they wont behave the same. Most of guys even wouldnt open thier mouth, but when it comes to GD since its question of career everyone would want to come in with high volume so as to reach the panelist. Even experienced guys are helpless in such situatins and lastly they become part of the crowd.
So its not only about no of ppl but also to a more extent our attitude.
I believe 1 min is ok for a person to comment his views about topic and at the end 2-3 mins for conclusion. So the real life situation of a meeting can not be compared with a discussion for any entrance test. I have seen many incidents of guys who are super kool in meetings but become aggressive in GD cos its matter of their career. Even I was a part of few Gds where candidates where 7-8 in nos but still it resulted in fish market cos of attitude of students.

To some extent group task can be used here but again judging one's communication skill and expression of variety of thoughts in group will go for a toss. I believe GD is still a good platform to judge peopl'e group behaviour (Personal opinion though).

And I guess suggestions can be thrown to IMI anytime as this is the only insti known to me who takes feedback seriously and work on it quickly !!

I agree with you on this.... Even I had observed this while I was going through the GD/PI rounds last year.... Everyone attending a GD, knows that it could be make or break for him, although it's not an elimination round, but an impression can still be formed. So he/she tries extra hard to get his/her points across, even if shouting is required.

Such things are obviously not required in work scenarios, where no points are given on whether you speak or not. What matters there is whether the right issues are discussed or not. In the GDs, ideally, this should be the case. But sadly, it isn't. Everyone wants to speak, sensible or not.... let the panel decide Only a few people actually understand that just two valid and sensible points in the entire GD can get you good points, whereas five senseless points might get you negative marks. There are also a few people who know this theory, but can't control in the midst of a GD and flow along with the "crowd".

I agree that 15 people in a GD is quite high a number, irrespective of the time. I say irrespective of time because, the probability of having more "shouters" in a group of 15 is anyday higher than the probability of having such candidates in a group of 10. In my opinion, 10 is an ideal number and mostly, GDs with 10 people are conducted fairly smoothly. Exceptions are always there :)

Anyway, suggestion taken and although it's too late to implement it this year, we'll try to implement it next year.

Hi,

Had my GD/Pi yesterday in Kolkata. Arrived at 1:10 pm since our slot was from 1:30. Four others had arrived by then.Others arrived later.We had 9 people in our batch.Procedure stared at around 1:50 pm.
The essay topic was something in the line of "An MBA is necessary to make a good manager."Had 15 minutes to complete it. Came up with couple of good points.Was satisfied.
Then we were given a 5 minute talk about IMI.The presentation was not given due to lack of equipment.:confused:
Next started the GD. It was nice that the faculty members specifically asked people to not create afish market & have a healthy discussion for 15 minutes.Almost everyone agreed to the first topic which was " Fossil fuels and their alternatives".Had a good discussion. I came up with a couple of good points and enetred about 3-4 times.In the end one guy who hadn;t spoken much was asked to summerise.
I was the fourth person in the interview.The interviewers were shog(smart handsome old guy) and qog(quiet old guy)
shog:So electronics huh...tell me what is high pass filter?
me : answered
shog:What electronic components are needed to make a high pass filter?
me: answered.
shog: What is the formula for impedence of a capacitor?
me::eyepop:
shog: Ok tell me what does an AND gate do?
shog: hmm...how do you design an AND gate using electronic components like transistors?
me::confused:
shog: what are the losses in a transmission line?
me::confused:
shog: So what have you been doing for the 2 1/2 years after graduation?
shog: so whats been your take-away or learning during your work?Say in point form.
me: blah-blah
shog: why mba?
me: vomit-vomit
shog:any entrepranureship plans?
qog had been reading my form all this time. Now he decided to speak
qog: What do you mean by peer learning? (had it in my form)
qog: What is industry interface?(had it in my form)(cant this guy think of something original?)
shog:So tell me, how does a b-school prepare you for industry when it cannot mimic industry environment?
me:but answered to the best of my capability.shog seemed happy but gave a small lecture on the question.I smiled and tried to act attentive.
shog: So thats it from us, any questions?
me: asked about imi tackling the poor economic conditions.
shog: generic reply.
me: thank you sirs.

Overall a chilled experiance.The two senior girls were very helpful and friendly.Now just waiting for the results. really hope I make it.

Result of this GD/PI: Made it to the final List

Strike3;1423501]I had my GDPI today.
Date: 24/02 Venue: Mumbai
BE Comp Engineer

Hi!
Yes..I totally agree on your every point..if it is the case with institutes like IMT and IMI what is the condition prevailing at lesser institutes? I wonder how the panelists are able to judge and mark out people..at Bangalore Centre someone wrote the panelists were noting down his good points..here in this case is it possible..? i think strict guidelines/rules before the GD warning one to be off-mark if one indulges in such aggresive tactics would serve better..!

Guys so few posts,i guess quite a few ppl have had their gd/pi but very few experiences.

Had my GD/PI at IIM B. It was for PGDM HR.
Background : BTech Computer science and engineering

Essay topic: MBA makes better managers (or something similar), duration 15mins

GD topic: Indian economy. Don't think it went well. Not many spoke. After 5 minutes or so the moderators asked people who didn't speak to summaries the discussion so far. GD was again started after that. It didn't get any better. Moderator stopped the GD as the time got over.

Interview

There were 2 panelists. One of them was leaning on the chair from the essay writing time itself. It seemed like he didn't get proper sleep the day before.
Two panelist p1, p2

P1: were you discussing about Indian economy outside?
P1: did you discuss what was happening inside?
P1: Aren't you happy with the arrangements provided here?
P1 stopped asking questions from this point onwards and started to note down stuff

P2
-which is your favorite subject?(I told c++)
-why was c++ created
-what was wrong with c? who created C? who created c++? Was it the same person or was it some one else?
-What's the significance of "++"
-Tell me more about c++
-Name some other programming languages
-Can any language be used to program anything?
-Name different programming languages and their applications
-How many programming languages are there? Give me a rough estimate?
-How many languages are there in the Indian constitution?
-What's the controversy regarding Obama and an Indian language? ( I had no clue what so ever)
-Don't you read news paper?
-Which news paper do you read?
-Whats the controversy in kerala wrt its chief minister? (controversy in kerala was asked to every 1 who came there)
-Why is it so hard to prosecute politicians?
-What is the status now?
-Controversy in Tamil Nadu? Some questions on what can be done and what cannot be done by Indian.
-Controversy in Karnataka?
-Name the women chief ministers in India? I forgot to mention mayawathi 
-Name of the new states that were formed in India and the states from which they broke up from
-What are your other options?
-Why HR? I think you came here because you didn't get any where else?( I told them that I only applied to a select number of colleges)
-You didn't apply to the IIM's?
-(I told my other option as TAPMI) TAPMI the course is PGDM not HR?
-Do you know about the course in IIM B. Do the students here take specializations?
-Who manages the people in an organization?
-Why does one have to study HR to manage?
-Have you ever heard of any one in HR getting the top post in a company?
-Why no work exe( I had passed out in 2008, I told about getting offers but not joining)
-You should have gone for an executive MBA, not this
-With such low marks how did you get into engineering?
-Tell me about your college?
-How much time will it take to reach banglore from trivandrum(I am from Trivandrum)? I was like 14 hours or so. The panelist were like ohhhhh, that long( must have been telling themselves, poor fellow traveled that far for nothing)

The students who were in charge of the admissions in IMI were extremely helpful and friendly. They patiently listened to all our doubts and went out of the way to clear them.

Hey Guys,
Keep posting about your experiences. It'll help other mates to prepare well.
Regards