2008 MBA (international - U.S.) Aspirants Joint

Hi People, Let this place be for people who are aspiring for 2008 International MBA, in United States. Instead of giving a long introduction let me introduce who this joint is typically meant for… 1. Yes overwhelming majority of Demographi…

Hi People,
Let this place be for people who are aspiring for 2008 International MBA, in United States. Instead of giving a long introduction let me introduce who this joint is typically meant for...
1. Yes overwhelming majority of Demographically challenged Indian Software engineers, working in different companies all over the place.
2. Who would hav 2/3 Years of Work Experience by 2008.
3. Who have a burning desire to do MBA in the United states.
4. People who are not potentially Rich, but still want to pursue their american dreams, on the basis of their meticulous planning and execution.
5. People who want to do something extraordinary to grow up from the monotonous IT industry, and become leaders.
People are requested to share their views on the following.
1. Because of Demographical challenges (being too common), what should an IT professional target in the Global MBA Scenario?
(Precisely which schools, on the basis of what applying criteria)
2. Financial challenges (Precise notes)
(Though people will find similar threads helping; I want specific information to help us all for a good cause)
Financial challenges will include (initial investment) A potential savings plan, a relatively precise expense forecast, scholarship challenges, etc. Need not be all in the same post, people can jst put in bits and pieces, I would love to gather and summarize..
3. Psychological barriers - What are the psychological barriers one needs to break in order to be there amongst the best of the best...
4. Specifically for IT - All the tips that you can think of for people in IT looking forward for an international MBA.. is the situation for them all that hopeless?
5. 2008 Target - How should a timeline be decided for people who are targetting 2008 admissions.. Say GMAT will be in early 2007.
I know the questions do not quite express wat they want to ask, but pls if you need any clarifications... Blast me!!
:argue: Arguments are most welcome! :)
Cheers,
Abhinandan
:grab: Catch this thread soon.... Thanks PG we awe a lot to PG community....It Rocks
----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is a dream, a dream is a dare...
& Its the Daring which will take you where no one else has gone before....

I won't answer this Sequentially - Bear with me for that

5. Take GMAT & TOEFL whenever you feel you are ready - before Oct 2007 for fall 2008 entry

3. Simply believe that you, as an individual, have to convince a set of people that you can make a difference to 100 other "potential" future classmates

4. IT or not, you will always find competition. Focus on yourself and try to prove with your numbers and your career growth, that you are the one they would love to pick.

2. Save maximum money possible in any investment that will protect your capital with less risk + add some return on that capital. Target to Save atleast 3 Lakhs INR by yourself. 2 years & 3 lakhs is not really unachievable. Figure out how much your parents can put in. If possible, cajole your relatives/CLOSE family frenz to help you in some way. Raise atleast 15 Lakhs INR this way. About 20 Lakhs INR will be available as loan. Internship will fetch you about 5 lakhs. I guess 40 Lakhs INR is enough for all Tier2 B-schools. If you are going to top 15 B-schools, relax - don't worry about finances.

1. Try and be yourself. Forget demographics - It's really **crap**

One major point: If you cannot show achievements in your career or any career progress, think of applying a year later: haste is waste. Delaying by one more year will help a lot.
If 2008 intake is early for YOU, try 2009. Never underestimate the power of work exp - it teaches you more than a B-school can

Hey mumbai_dude,

That gives a lot of Insight. Thank you very much indeed. Untill I think Im good enough, I will look a year later, and try to get things in my kitty... Do you really think the demographic thing is **Crap** ? Can you please share some more thoughts on that?

Hello Dude..

Thank you very much indeed for your insight. You are very right, unless I have some baggage in my kitty, I shouldnt shoot myself out at a b-school...coz chances are disappointment & wastage of money will follow. But can u please share more thoughts on your view of demographics is it really **CRAP** as you mention? Competition.. I dont fear about.. Hav made up my mind to beat it... I want other people to gain from PG advise, coz I have observed, some people cant jst start untill they see something concrete shaping up in their minds... All the senior PG members can jst do that to guide us... Thanks for your continued support...

Maybe the word **crap** was little harsh - but I will tell few words that would make it sound true.

(Note: There is no gender bias here.)

First, demographics will come into play if you are not having a "different" story. A moderately different story would surely involve "demographics" factor. On the other hand, if you have "different" story, your demograhics have no meaning

Consider this:
Mr. A - Indian IT male 2 to 4 yr exp - Team member to Team lead - Moderate achievements;
Mr. B - Indian IT male 3 to 5 yr exp - Team leader to Project leader - Moderate achivements
Mr. C - Indian IT male 2 to 5 yr exp - Team member to Project leader - High achievements @work - Patent of an idea pending; During Onsite trip, contributes to some social activity in visitng country; Gets involved in many functions within the firm

If I were to evaluate Mr. C, I would accept him irrespective of whether he is Indian IT male or not. WHY? because he is among "the best" category where people are admitted without considering demographics

But Mr. A & B are in "Moderate" applicant pool and hence demographics apply to them. Since they are high in number, the chances of neither being admitted is high.

SO you have to decide which category you must belong to.

Portray yourself as what you are - never hint at your demographics at any point in your application.

Simply tell about your achievements, your goal, your professional likes and dislikes, your potential - At this point, demograhics have no meaning.

Move yourself from "Moderate" category to "best" catgory and your demographics would never be in your way.

Thanks.. I really count that.. Can you also share your views on the community service etc. i.e. the differentiating factors, mentioned on the forums, Really should one give them a lot of thought, or is it just the ART of writing essays?

Rule 1: Thou shall never fake anything in application
Rule 2: Thou shall be a good writer - Means, the art of smartly painting your profile, is essential
Rule 3: Thou shall be a part of social/community activities only if seriously interested in the activities. Doing it only for the sake of applications will be easily exposed in interviews.
Rule 4: Thou will first be a successful professional, then a "community" guy - Means, your pofessional achievements (small or big) matters a lot; if many similar aspirants are seen, then your community involvement matters.

If your GMAT is atleast the B-school's Average (or minus 10 or above average) and your undergrad was decent enough, the above rules apply.

So concentrate on GMAT, work experience and if really interested, community activities.

Hi everyone...

can anyone tell me if doing MBA is worth the cost? I mean... will salaries after the MBA is worth the effort? And if anyone know any details about the campus placement offers etc...please enlighten me....

Thanks....

Well Well Well, It definitely is worth it... If you are game for it! Success is relative, no degree can make you god, but your performance can. Statistically YES IT IS MUCH MORE WORTH THAN THE COST! Placement offers... d00d search elsewhere on the forum u ll find loads... also go through many B scools websites which offer tonnes of information. Happy hunting.. Miles to go my friend... Research well n form your opinions.. U r at the right place! 😃 cheers..

Subscribing to the thread. Hope it would provide useful info in the coming days.
My profile:

IT with 4 years exp as of now (by next year applying time 5 years). Have worked in MNCs in India as well as currenly doing consulting (consulting assigments in New Zealand and currently the mid east (Saudi Arabia) ). Academics are pretty ok with very good 10th n 12th grades (90%) and 76% for Btech Comp Sci (univ of kerala).

Looking at GMAT early next year.

Regards,
Anoop

Guys,
Just to revamp this thread a bit, I would like to tell you that my perception about preparations for a MBA abroad has changed a lot. I now believe (after going through a lot of posts on PG and reading a lot of articles on the web and also speaking personally to many people) that one needs good deal of self realization. If you think you are good enough, you need to know WHY you are good enough. And you need to find the right SPOT perhaps the MBA journey can be something like discovery of your very secret strengths and weaknesses which will help u go long way in your career. Personally having 1.5 years of MNC IT experience, and having descent academics, even though people think I might be successful, I humbly think that Im worthless for the fact that the demographics work so much against my favor. Though, I mean STILL!! 😃 I think I can do it... you know what people I'm hopelessly positive that my strong will will take me where I want to go... In search of people who share the same passion, maybe we can come up with ideas which help us all the way...

Any takers????

oh! lots of gyaan squriting there:robot:
good spirit, shah!

& good start... starting early is always better, not if you just day dream and implement nothing
yea but i m positive you d certainly acheive what you want...
and yes you have long way to go...still have lots of stuff to kno/learn.
all the best.

I like the idea of starting the thread for 2008 admission students.
well, personally i am not applying for 2010 class (i mean for fall 2008 admission) ........though Dave (of daveformba) has listed me with 2008 people.. i am not applying now.

i am taking GMAT on early 2007 so i ll be seeing you guys...around.
good work there mumbai-dude. ( Are you that famous blogger mumbai-dude do you?)
am not an IT guy btw....so that surely gonna help me a bit....

Dear Abhinandan,
what makes the case tough is "Indian IT male" is too common and hence more competitive.
more can share
& we can have healthy argument.

I am also planning to appear in GMAT in 2007 n apply for admissions in 2008 to b-schools.Before going further with queries,let me introduce myself:-
-software Engineer with 2.3 yrs of work exp. at Top MNC in telecom.
-BTech(I.T) 3.61/4.0
-XII 84%
-X 85%
-Not much extra-curricular activities

Now,i would like to know:-
1.How is my profile for getting in top b-schools (if i managed to get a GMAT score of 700+)?

2.What all B-schools needs needs to be targetted taking the value of money & relatively financial cost of study in account?

3.Heard the stanford GSB has an option of working in home country/NGO after MBA and which leads to loan forgiveness.Is there any other B-School with similar options?

4.How much time (on avg) it takes to prepare for GMAT for getting 700+ score(i mean when to start prep if target is MBA 2008?

4.How much time (on avg) it takes to prepare for GMAT for getting 700+ score(i mean when to start prep if target is MBA 2008?

50-100 days.
you are engineer so i believe you can get it done in less than average prep time.

Dear Abhinandan,
what makes the case tough is "Indian IT male" is too common and hence more competitive.
more can share
& we can have healthy argument.

Sorry about replyin to the post so late, but I think, Most Common is what makes it most interesting! One more Point I want to bring to notice of PG members is that, though its IT stands for Information Tech. the domain in which they work is entirely different. Even if its largely Finance there are so many subdomains and verticals.... I believe, IT experience is one of the most valuable, so everyone can project their profile differently, based on their domain expertise, and even people who work in IT, shud realize n tk their domain knowledge seriously! Thats jst a thought now. 😃 I know I am streching a bit too long. However, I like your thoughts Aim-wsc. Thanks If you hav a solid argument, jst put it on table n v ll hav a skirmish!!

-Not much extra-curricular activities

I think you gotta take care of this buddy!!
They wud look for LOTS of these, its how well you actually are, and how well you actually present yourself infront of people.

Regards,
Abhin.
EDITed
AbhinandanShah Says
Sorry about replyin to the post so late, but I think, Most Common is what makes it most interesting!

you started your statement with 'but ' at the same time you agree with my point.
yes even i agree with your point. Most common is what makes it most interesting....now 'it' is here the applicant

One more Point I want to bring to notice of PG members is that, though its IT stands for Information Tech. the domain in which they work is entirely different. Even if its largely Finance there are so many subdomains and verticals.... I believe, IT experience is one of the most valuable, so everyone can project their profile differently, based on their domain expertise, and even people who work in IT, shud realize n tk their domain knowledge seriously!

no issues.:neutral:

Thats jst a thought now. 😃

OK heres my thoughts.

Dear Abhinandan,
consider a normal Indian IT male:

you might be working in IT sector.
what matters to me?
your projects might be related to insurance business or to hospitality management. It wont make any difference to the way a lay person would look at you. ( of course i am not comparing Adcomms to lay person) All he knows is you sit in front of a machine for ten hours of your day-drink tea/coffee from vending machine.
you indulge less social life.
Working with the machine called desktop you start living some kindda robotic life...

well! thats the first few reasons why they (adcomms) do not prefer IT males.. apart from being very much common & competitive (of course thats the first reason.)

Adcomms ( asmission Commitee) try to get their schools as diverse crowd as they can.
& in process of that they sometimes may sacrify some people with good GMAT score or good acads/GPA.

Adcomms always eager to see how different (read outstanding) you are.
how unique ( read innovative/ constructive) you are.
how diverse ( read experienced) you are.

So you got to show them the experience you gained all your life /
how innovative you were..... etc...etc///

Disclaimer:

Anyway thats just part of it. so i wont say talking about these points is sufficient. i just say It is part of it.
you can say one of the points.

Edit: i posted the earlier message and then i realised that i made some of contradicting statments which even i do not agree.

check out it again i have edited the post now.
sorry for the confusion folks but the time when i actually posted this message i was bit dazed :confused::crazyeye: