[2008] IIM L GD/PI Experiences

hey puys, the I-day has arrived for few and will be coming your way in a few more days…And as the second round of the admission process commences today for IIM L, I am startting this thread for all of us to share our experiences and carry out…

hey puys,
the I-day has arrived for few and will be coming your way in a few more days...And as the second round of the admission process commences today for IIM L, I am startting this thread for all of us to share our experiences and carry out discussions on the process....
Here we go!

First IIM GDPI for the year!!!!
Here's wishing all of you all the very best!!!!!Hope to see some excellent performances by the PGites in round 2!!!!:)

First IIM GDPI for the year!!!!
Here's wishing all of you all the very best!!!!!Hope to see some excellent performances by the PGites in round 2!!!!:)

Hey Puys..

All The Best from our side... rock the stage

All the best to everyone for their L interviews and please do post in your experinces.It would be good if we can use an earlier format.

For the benefit of everyone concerned, please keep the format like this:

PROFILE:

Acads:
X
XII
Undergrad Major - GPA/%age

Work-Ex:
NIL/Sector - Number of Years

CAT %ile:
DI
Quant
Verbal
Aggregate

Any other special thing abt u:

GD:
Topic:
Number of Ppl present
Time:
Brief Snapshot of Discussion:
Other Salient Details: As whether summary was asked to be written or not, Time given, and other stuff.

PI:
Panel Members Intro:
Questions:

MISC.
Any other relevant detail.

May be a wrong thread to post this query but its very important

Could anyone please clarify,

Is producing first pay slip and the latest pay slip enough? OR
Producing joining letter and the last pay slip will do?

OR

Producing proper work-ex certificate from the current job is compulsory?

May be a wrong thread to post this query but its very important

Could anyone please clarify,

Is producing first pay slip and the latest pay slip enough? OR
Producing joining letter and the last pay slip will do?

OR

Producing proper work-ex certificate from the current job is compulsory?

The correct thread is in my signature. Your question is answered there. Let this thread prevail as a repository of all the GD / PI experiences of this year 😃
Hi hyderabad guys....

pls post ur GDPI experiences !!!

we are waiting eagerly

Wait dude
today is the first day and first batch is at 10:00AM
May b they are having their GDs now :grin:

I can guess this as i am about to leave for my GDPI whch is at 14:00
Wait dude
today is the first day and first batch is at 10:00AM
May b they are having their GDs now :grin:

I can guess this as i am about to leave for my GDPI whch is at 14:00

May the FORCE be with you buddy

Hi All,

Just came back from GD/PI.

PROFILE:

Acads:
X - 82.0
XII - 80.4
Undergrad Major - 2.64/4 ~ 72.8%

Work-Ex:
IT - 32 months

CAT %ile:
DI - 97.8
Quant - 98.5
Verbal - 99.77
Aggregate - 99.85

GD:
Topic: Business and Ethics dont go together.
Number of Ppl present - 10
Time: 15 minutes

First we were asked to write a essay on same topic in 500 words in 30 minutes. Then there was GD for 15 minutes. GD was a good one. Everyone got chance to speak.

GD topic for other grp was something like 'Without IT india growth will be 0%'. (i m not sure abt the topic)

PI:
There were two professors. Dont know abt them.

Questions -
1. BTech in ICT (IT and Communication). So what is Ad-Hoc Network, IPTV and protocol etc
2. Qns abt marks in x,xii and graduation. Reason for decrease.
3. Why MBA.
4. Why mba for entrepreneurship.
5. Entrepreneurship in which area. Abt that area.
6. I have done a course in 'Marketing'. So asked abt that. 4 'P' of marketing. Asked to implement 4 P in some example from the area i want to start firm.
7. Difference between cost and price.
8. Diff between GDP and GNP and few more question on that.
8. Abt work exp. What u do at job. ( Told abt Java and Database)
9. Asked me to write some SQL queries and some question abt object and class.
10. What is rural area. How do u differentiate with urban area. Some more question on this.
11. What special in IIM-L. How do u know it.
12. Why not Harvard. Give GMAT and go there.

Interview went on for abt 25-30 minute.

Can we make this thread as sticky pls mods ?

Hey Hyderabad puys pour in with your experiences we have had only one person sharing with us....what happened to the others...guys be a sport and share.

one point i would like to mention is please write your answers with questions in PI which ll help us to understand how the pi is driven by you..

cheers

Hi ppl,
I think this is my first useful post on this forum..
Here goes the chain of events.. I am giving it along with time beside the event.. BTW my interview slot is at 2:00 PM

1:30 - Reached the venue. ppl from the morning batch were still waiting to finish their interviews. There were 2 panels conducting the interviews. The topics for morning batches were "Business and Ethics do not go together"
and "India without IT is zero" .
2:00 - Interviews still in progress..
2:30 - One young Prof comes and tells that "we may take half an hour more" (May be they were having their lunch)
2:50 - We were called in to the room. we were given a sheet containing 4 pages with ruled lines.. and some instructions on it.. The GD topic is
"Should use of performance enhancing drugs in sports be legalised " . We had to write an essay for 30 mins
3:20 - Papers were taken back. An announcement was made - "You will have 15min to discuss. at the end of 13th min you will be asked to conclude for 2mins"

Now I will put down everything in the general format
PROFILE:

Acads:
X : 88.6
XII : 90.7
Undergrad Major - GPA/%age : EEE; Osmania Univ . 87.35%

Work-Ex:
NIL/Sector - Number of Years : IT sector - 30months till date..

CAT %ile:
DI : 97.xx
Quant:89.85
Verbal: 93.9x
Aggregate : 97.8

ranked 3rd in univ. and have some certificates for extra currics...
but nothing seen/asked about in interview..

GD:
Topic:Should use of performance enhancing drugs in sports be legalised
Number of Ppl present : 9 (1 absent)
Time: 15 min
We had a very good GD. every one was opposed to legalising drugs. everybody got good air time. ppl gave good examples.. and the GD was very stream lined.. we went adding points relevant to the discussion going on...

I could contribute well to the GD. added some points with good examples ..talked about ethics and about what kind of message we send to the future generations etc...

Other Salient Details:

PI:
Panel Members Intro: One old prof (p1) and one Young prof (p2)

Questions:

Mine was the second interview of the batch..very very short one..

most of the questions were asked by p1.

me: Good evening sirs
p1 : Give me your file. Take some burden off you.. He did browse through it but he did not see many certificates that were at the end of the folder. he looked at it for less than a minute.. (mean while p2 was looking at my data sheet(the one that we filled and submitted to them before gd)
me: thank you sir.
p1 : tell me something abt your self
me : started the regular stuff.. and could tell some +ve points abt me..
p1 cut me in the middle..
p1: okay ..this is regular stuff.. let us discuss some thing else..we will have a diff interview..
me: :)
p1: why were you born in hyderabad
me: (????) why? .. my parents were here.. so I was born here
p1: not this way.. tell me something else..that you can think abt this question
me: God wanted it to happen that way
p1: do you think god does this at random or ?
me: may not be random.. he intentionally does it
p1: how does he decide;
me: my personal opinion is that it depends on the previous life
p1: 0kay let's move on.. why do you want to do an mba?
me: regular stuff..
p2: (explaining to p1) he is trying to cut short all the time and wants to become a manager and then again wants to cut short the time taken to become a ceo by joining a small company...
me: no sir.. not really short cut.. but was stopped..
p2:why are you proud to be born in a telugu family??
me:blah blah...(talked abt culture values etc)
p1: two things which are important to you
me: ethics and respect to elders
In between I had 2 -3 questions on manager / leader and a bit abt how to make ppl work.

P1,p2 nod to each other..
p1: you may go now
me(standing): can I take the file sir?
p1: do you want it (all smiles)

Overall it was a feel good interview.. there were many instances where everyone was smiling...

Verdict: Convert 😁

Hi All,

PROFILE:
Acads:
X - 87.0
XII - 88.0
BE IT (71.00)
Work-Ex:
IT - 43 months
CAT %ile:
DI - 99.13
Quant - 88.00
Verbal - 90.00
Aggregate - 97.7
GD:
Topic: Performance enhancing drugs should be legalized in sports??
Number of Ppl present - 9
First we were asked to write a essay on same topic in 500 words in 30 minutes. Then there was GD for 15 minutes. GD was a good one. Everyone got chance to speak.

GD topic for other grp was something like 'Person should not be judged on his planning skills but he\she should be judged based on how he faces difficult situation

PI :
1. Tell me about yourself
....You shifted to hyd for work???
2. What is starter and Router
......Started explaining in layman term and was cut short to xplt in tech. terms...Told them No idea about tech, defintions
3. What is AC and DC
.....No idea
4. On what principle elct. motor runs
.....At this point i told that i am IT engineed and didnot have elect. subject. Was told that as an engineer i m supposed to know e.thing :popcorn:
5. What is FullForm of FORTRAN
.....No Idea
6. Why you didnot get a call from other IIMs?
.....Told the CAT Score as a reason
7. You have XXX amount with you. What you will do?
.....Told. Was grilled and laughed on
8. Divide your salary in diff. components based on your spendings
.....Told. Though not convincing.
9. Why you should percentage and not absolute value while dividing your salary.
....Convinced them
10. How do you represent this?
.....My best answer.
11. How was GD
....Told
12. Rate yourself\Group on scale of 1 to 10 in GD
.....Rated. They were skeptical about this
13. Did you miss anything to be discuessed in GD
.....Told them and said time constraint didnot allow to speak all
14. Why your group went in one direction only?
.....Hmmmm
15. What can be done to improve this GD?
.....hmmmmmm

Over in 15 mins compared to 35-40 mins of other group members
Didnot get any particular feelings after this. Most of the group members had stress interview

With this, IIM season ends for me

Appreciate you guys posting your experiences. Many thanks.
Panelists seem cool :grin:

Hi All,

PROFILE:
Acads:
X - 87.0
XII - 88.0
BE IT (71.00)
Work-Ex:
IT - 43 months
CAT %ile:
DI - 99.13
Quant - 88.00
Verbal - 90.00
Aggregate - 97.7
GD:
Topic: Performance enhancing drugs should be legalized in sports??
Number of Ppl present - 9

GD topic for other grp was something like 'Person should not be judged on his planning skills but he\she should be judged based on how he faces difficult situation

PI :
1. Tell me about yourself
....You shifted to hyd for work???
2. What is starter and Router
......Started explaining in layman term and was cut short to xplt in tech. terms...Told them No idea about tech, defintions
3. What is AC and DC
.....No idea
4. On what principle elct. motor runs
.....At this point i told that i am IT engineed and didnot have elect. subject. Was told that as an engineer i m supposed to know e.thing :popcorn:
5. What is FullForm of FORTRAN
.....No Idea
6. Why you didnot get a call from other IIMs?
.....Told the CAT Score as a reason
7. You have XXX amount with you. What you will do?
.....Told. Was grilled and laughed on
8. Divide your salary in diff. components based on your spendings
.....Told. Though not convincing.
9. Why you should percentage and not absolute value while dividing your salary.
....Convinced them
10. How do you represent this?
.....My best answer.
11. How was GD
....Told
12. Rate yourself\Group on scale of 1 to 10 in GD
.....Rated. They were skeptical about this
13. Did you miss anything to be discuessed in GD
.....Told them and said time constraint didnot allow to speak all
14. Why your group went in one direction only?
.....Hmmmm
15. What can be done to improve this GD?
.....hmmmmmm

Over in 15 mins compared to 35-40 mins of other group members
Didnot get any particular feelings after this. Most of the group members had stress interview

With this, IIM season ends for me

What was your number in the group? I was in the same group no. 4?
I did not want to say this thing but people are forcing me.

We all know that people who have been interviewd and posting the whole scene infront of us- have done great by posting here,but what is the poiint in posting and writing "thanks dude/it was good dude"
Lets make this thread clean.With stupid replies thread grow to double digit number of pages which makes it cumbersome for people to read it later on and for generations ahead.

There is a thanks button provided,there is a no-thanks button provided,then there is a PM facility.You can use any of them if u want to say congratulation or something else.

But for God sake dont repeat what was done in past.I hope everyone will understand this.This is not a forum to increase post counts or thanks counts.Its a forum for sharing and to gain knowledge.
So dont post unless you feel it will be important and will add some value to the thread.

Sorry for being rude,but then someone has to say this.
accenture07 Says
I did not want to say this thing but people are forcing me..

I am not sure what u wana say here......
But for sure it was rude and such post is also not in the best of protocols of PG....

And i m not sure whether posting in BIG DARK BLACK font is permitted in PG or not. And what purpose u achieved by posting in such font.

My past exp. with PG says that you are not supposed to use such fonts but mods will have better idea......

Coming to thanking a post........I agre that u shdnt quote a long post. But in this case harish was trying to idnetify me and in a way we cud have get a better idea of a panel as hw they felt of our GDs and PIs (They were gvng feedback on our GDs in PI)
And in doing so all PGites wud have gained some information abt what are the expectations from panel.....
done with my GD/PI today morning...
PROFILE:
Acads:
X - 87.2
XII - 90.6
BE in Electronics & Electrical Communication from PEC, Chandigarh 2006.
Work-Ex:
IT Services- CSC,Noida - 19 months
CAT %ile:
DI - 98.97
Quant - 96.76
Verbal - 99.93
Aggregate - 99.90
GD:
Topic: The test of a successfull man is not an ability to eliminate the problem before it exists, but to meet and resolve it whenever it arises.
As u guys knw by now, we have to write an essay of max. 500 words in 30 minutes to start with and then discuss it for a span of 15 minutes.
Our group was a decent one, all pitched in with significant points (for and against) and had appropriate air-time...
me: was second to speak...entered 5-6 times and kind of presented the gist of what we were talking, apart from contributing a point or two...
PI:
P1: Relatively Young guy
P2: Old Prof
Me: yours truly!
P2: So Sumit Bedi (that's me)...do you know Kiran Bedi? tell me about her
Me: 1.Stellar role in eliminating crime
2. First woman IPS officer of India
P2: Tell me something latest on her.
Me: Sir, she wasn't happy with her subordinate being promoted rather than her. and after that she had taken a voluntary retirement to carry out her social welfare activities.
P2: good.
Me: (Who's the daddy now?)
P1: Tell me something about yourself
Me: started from my background of studying in various cities and moved to the contribution of college in my individual growth and then ended with my work-ex in CSC which shares it boundary with the IIM L noida campus...(smiles shared)
P1: what kind of work is it?
Me: talked about the role and responsibilities and the growth during last 19 months.
P1: good.
P1: What are your short term and long term plans after doing MBA?
Me: talked about ki hvnt narrowed down on any particular role but a good exposure in all the subjects would help me make a choice
P1: be more specific.
Me: talked about my inclination towards Brand Management and other Marketing areas but said that after getting substantial exposure to Marketing and Finance subjects I'll be be able to make a better choice.
P1:asks for my work-ex proof nd other letters...got busy with that
P2: You are from Electronics. Tell me how can it help in saving the environment.
Me: Sir, can not mention any specific use but yes, if we can use electronic equipment in replacing the non-renewable resources we can make a difference. (the only question i thnk i cud hv answerd better)
P1:What other interests do you have?
Me: sir, apart from occasional reading...i follow Barclays Premier League...football is a passion...
P1: fav team?
Me: "Manchester United, Sir."
adding, "beacause of their sheer class and awesome game."
P1: so, if the clubs are so good then why does the national team perform so bad?
Me: talked of three reasons - 1. Presence of foreign players + 2. Coaching Methodology (shared a laugh over Steve Mclaren) + 3. not enough games for national players to gel together as a unit...brilliant individual performances but no efforts as a team...
P1:good
------------------
the conversation had a nice flow...three "goods" and I believed I could fly!
was lucky to get the panel that wasn't screwing candidates on acads...
plus, there were 7-8 guys from my college...a few seniors and a few juniors as well...all toppers nd techie champs...again lady luck smiled and in my panel I was the only one from my college...
so all in all a good experience to begin with...good luck all for your GD/PIs...
UPDATE: Converted this one!