[2008] Ask IIFM, Bhopal: Official Admission Query thread feat. Dr Ashutosh Verma

Hi everybody, We welcome Indian Institute of Forest Management, Bhopal which is a sectoral management institute and trains managers in the areas of forest, environment, natural resources and allied sectors. (See website) If you’re loo…

Hi everybody,

We welcome Indian Institute of Forest Management, Bhopal which is a sectoral management institute and trains managers in the areas of forest, environment, natural resources and allied sectors. (See website)

If you're looking for options outside the general MBA, you can ask Dr Ashutosh Verma - Chairperson of Admissions Committee all your questions about the course, subjects, campus life, infrastructure, faculty, admissions, placements and more at IIFM Bhopal!

How it works:
1. Firstly, please go through this thread and check whether a question similar to what you have in mind has already been answered.
2. If not, then post your question by clicking on the 'Post Reply' button above this thread on the left side.
3. Dr Verma will be regularly checking this thread and will answer all questions posted.
4. Once you've posted your question, you can visit this thread again in some time to see whether your question has been answered. Or, you could receive e-mail updates about posts on this thread by clicking on 'Thread tools' link which is above this thread on the top right side.

Dr Verma's userid is Admissions@IIFM.

So all the best folks and get all your doubts resolved

Cheers!

Dear Sir ,

please throw some light on the nature of job after graduating from IIFM.

Thankyou.
sumit.

Hi Sir,
I would like to wat kind of sector I can join after passing out from IIFM?

Also, would like to know abt placements for 2008. how have the current slow down affected the overall placements?

Hello sir,

I had a query as to when are the gd pi held. At what dates were it held last year, and for how many days we have to be there if at all. This question is important for me because i have my graduation final year exams starting mid march.

hi sir,
plz tell me about fm which sectors one can go after pgdfm. i m a hotel management graduate, can i go to that industry?

Hello Everbody

I am Ashutosh faculty in the area of Finance and also looking after the admissions of PGDFM. Regarding the GD/PI, we propose to have it this year in the second week of March. Last year it was held from 12th to 18th March. You will have to spend a day here, you can preferably come here the previous night or you can also come in the morning on the day on which you have your interview.
Thanks

Hi Sir,
I would like to wat kind of sector I can join after passing out from IIFM?

Also, would like to know abt placements for 2008. how have the current slow down affected the overall placements?

The main sectors in which IIFM graduates get placed are microfinance, marketing research, rural banking , evironment consultancy, core forestry, development sector. The emerging areas where challenging career opportunities will arise on account of either forced legislative compliance by corporates or voluntary adoptation include carbon trading, carbon finance, climate change, global warming, corporate social responsibility, ecotourism and such other areas. Managment schools acorss India are affected by the slowdown but we have been devising strategies to ensure that the impact is minimal and the placement scenario is not yet crystallised so I am unable to quantify the affect.
Indian Institute of Forest Management :: Current Placement Stats

Hi Ashutosh,

Do you mean that we will have to go to Bhopal for GD/PI. I am currently at Bangalore. Is not there any centre for GD/PI in this city. I amasking this because the travel will take 5-6 days including this and it is very difficult to get leave for a week.

hi sir,
plz tell me about fm which sectors one can go after pgdfm. i m a hotel management graduate, can i go to that industry?

I have already replied about the placement in the other post, yes you can go back in the eco-tourism industry which strives to bring about a balance between the ecology and the tourism industry.
Hi Ashutosh,

Do you mean that we will have to go to Bhopal for GD/PI. I am currently at Bangalore. Is not there any centre for GD/PI in this city. I amasking this because the travel will take 5-6 days including this and it is very difficult to get leave for a week.

Yes we have GD/PI only at Bhopal, we do not have any other centre for GD/PI.

Hi Ashutosh,

Can you please tell me generally when will the GD-PI process be held in 2009 (I mean in which week)? It is better that the time be known by all aspirants before hand. And from your previous chat transcript it seems that the called candidates be given accomodation if they arrive the day before.

Thanks and Regards,
CAT_Eyed.

Hi Sir,
I am an ST category cat aspirant scoring 41 marks according to time. Sectional wise, my marks are DI=19, Quant=7,VA=15. Do u think i will ever get a call from IIFM Bhopal or for that matter any iim, ever. I would like to know if there is any change for me in IIFM. Please reply.

Hi Sir,
I am an ST category cat aspirant scoring 41 marks according to time. Sectional wise, my marks are DI=19, Quant=7,VA=15. Do u think i will ever get a call from IIFM Bhopal or for that matter any iim, ever. I would like to know if there is any change for me in IIFM. Please reply.

plz help!! worried here^^

Hi Sir,
My estimated CAT 2008 percentile comes out to be 87.
Having said that, i only received 52.77 % in 12th (Gujarat board). But, to add to that, during 4 years of my engg. studies i consistently ranked among the top 10 students in the class even leaving behind those who secured more marks than me in 12th (>80%). Also, during my final year, i gave GRE and i got 1410/1600 which was the highest score in my university and this record is still unbroken. This obviously suggest tht i m not as dumb as my 12th score indicates...wht do u think...will i get a GD/PI call and if i do get a call, will the admission authorities lay more emphasis on 12th, neglecting GRE score nd some other good points in my profile ???

Hi Sir,

I am giving below the cut-offs at IIFM for the various categories for the previous year to enable you to make an informed decision. More than this I do not wish to comment.
We take sectional cut off and do not consider the aggregate
> cut-off. The cut-off in each section for the last year was:
>
> Gen SC ST PD OBC
> PGDFM 2008 55 33 25 33 55
>
>
> The cut-off percentile indicated above is for calling for GD/PI only. This
> does not indicate the aggregate or component wise percentile of the
last candidate admitted.
>
> The details of aggregate highest and lowest CAT percentile scores of
> candidates admitted in PGDFM 2008-10 are as follows :
>
> Gen SC ST PD OBC
>
> Highest CAT percentile: 98.95 91.41 75.95 69.78 92.85
>
> Lowest CAT percentile: 82.55 61.36 61.22 69.78 89.15
>
> No of students: 45 09 05 01 03
>
> Students with more
> Than 93 percentile 17 NIL NIL Nil Nil
>
> Students with more
> Than 90 percentile 27 01 Nil Nil 02
>
> PD indicates persons with disabilities and OBC is non-creamy layer
Hi Sir,
My estimated CAT 2008 percentile comes out to be 87.
Having said that, i only received 52.77 % in 12th (Gujarat board). But, to add to that, during 4 years of my engg. studies i consistently ranked among the top 10 students in the class even leaving behind those who secured more marks than me in 12th (>80%). Also, during my final year, i gave GRE and i got 1410/1600 which was the highest score in my university and this record is still unbroken. This obviously suggest tht i m not as dumb as my 12th score indicates...wht do u think...will i get a GD/PI call and if i do get a call, will the admission authorities lay more emphasis on 12th, neglecting GRE score nd some other good points in my profile ???

We take an overall perspective while evaluating the candidate and do not focus on the performance in one particular class. Though the academic performace is taken into consideration but a low performace in one class cannot be the sole criteria and I think we at IIFM are quiet sensitive about such things .
sir
i got to knw that the intake is 60 and in placement reports it is written about only 37. why this difference is there???
I am giving below the cut-offs at IIFM for the various categories for the previous year to enable you to make an informed decision. More than this I do not wish to comment.
We take sectional cut off and do not consider the aggregate
> cut-off. The cut-off in each section for the last year was:
>
> Gen SC ST PD OBC
> PGDFM 2008 55 33 25 33 55
>
>
> The cut-off percentile indicated above is for calling for GD/PI only. This
> does not indicate the aggregate or component wise percentile of the
last candidate admitted.
>
> The details of aggregate highest and lowest CAT percentile scores of
> candidates admitted in PGDFM 2008-10 are as follows :
>
> Gen SC ST PD OBC
>
> Highest CAT percentile: 98.95 91.41 75.95 69.78 92.85
>
> Lowest CAT percentile: 82.55 61.36 61.22 69.78 89.15
>
> No of students: 45 09 05 01 03
>
> Students with more
> Than 93 percentile 17 NIL NIL Nil Nil
>
> Students with more
> Than 90 percentile 27 01 Nil Nil 02
>
> PD indicates persons with disabilities and OBC is non-creamy layer

Hi Dr Verma sir,
This is indeed what i am looking for.
My sincerely thanks,
Niumai

.... Wait wait.....sir plz don't go away......I have one last problem....in my CAT 2008 application form there is an area where it ask us to choose options and darken the oval/circular shape area with a pencil, i,e, to ''choose only IIMs'' and or ''other B-schools institutes as well'', recklessly, i would confess, i have darken ''only for IIM''. Now, i have applied for IIFM, will IIFM just throw my application in the garbage......i am done for^^if so.....plz comment on this....i heard a rumour that such applicatant's application will rejected by IIFM....is this true....thanks in advance.
sir
i got to knw that the intake is 60 and in placement reports it is written about only 37. why this difference is there???

The placements given are for 2008 (batch 2006-0 which had only 37students. From the next batch the number of seats has been increased to 60.