[2002] IIMB GD/PI experience

Hi All, My IIMB GD got over today. Things were pretty cool but pretty detailed. The GD topic was “India should follow the american model of presidential rule”. Pretty peaceful GD, except for a very few cross talks. A very good amount of time is …

Hi All,
My IIMB GD got over today. Things were pretty cool but pretty detailed. The GD topic was "India should follow the american model of presidential rule". Pretty peaceful GD, except for a very few cross talks. A very good amount of time is given before the GD and during the GD.

After the GD, 20 minutes is given to fill a form. You have to write the summary of GD, a qn about "the person who influenced you the most, why"? Another qn about "why do you thing you are good for management?" and then "What are your ccareer goals, how exactly does IIMB - PGP fits into the picture?" . The wordings were different, but the idea was somewaht similar.

The interview was very very peaceful and they asked about the workex. One prof asked about my tecnical and domain experience and one lady an hr kinda interview. About team, team dynamics etc. Lasted for about 15 mins.

On the average interviews were between 15-25 minutes. All the best for guys who are having it in the coming days.
Philip

Hey All,

Why no activity on this thread? Fed up of posting or what? Anyway, this is how my experience went:

GD topic was 'Government should introduce censorship in advertising'. As usual, a lot of valid and crap points were brought forth, both from me and from the others After the GD, we were given 20 minutes to write a summary of the GD and to answer three Qs, the same Qs which Philip had mentioned in his post.

Interview started off on a not-so-great note. After the regular 'Tell me about urself' stuff, I was expecting a few Qs on work-ex as I had finished my intro trying to lead them into asking Qs about my work-ex. But suddenly I was confronted with 'What is a Tunnel Diode?'. Had a vague idea, but not wanting to be led into acads, said 'I don't know Sir'. The ploy didn't work and they continued to ask quite a few Qs on Electronics, some of which I was able to answer but most of which, I was not able to 😞 This went on for about 10 minutes. Then heaved a sigh of relief when they hinted at asking a few Qs about my company . But that joy was to be short lived as they began asking very specific Qs about the M&A; strategy of Cisco. Couldn't answer them as the Qs were specific. Thought of answering in general, but pulled out as they kept on emphasising on specifics. Then they asked me about my career goals and why management? Handled this part reasonably comfortably as I was pretty much used to this Q Then out of nowhere, when I was answering some other stuff, the first guy asked me 'What do u know about Antony Balasingham?'. Told him about his involvement in the peace process in Sri Lanka. Then they asked about the talks going on in North East and I said a few things about the talks between GoI and NSCN (Forgot the expansion of NSCN, but luckily wasn't probed on that). The panelist then asked me about a particular person involved in the talks, whose name I haven't even heard of

That was about it (as far as I can recall). Not pinning my hopes too much on B. But pretty relieved, now that all the Interviews are over. Now, just got to wait for 10-15 days for the results. Wish u all, all the very best for the final results. And wake up and start posting guys!

Regards,
Bharath

hi guys got through with my gd/pi today.
the gd topic was 'in democracies people get the leaders they deserve'
we were only six guys and one was really queit so it left 5 of us and with so much time all ran out of points.the gd was obviously very peaceful!
the interview was typically a personal one with detailed discussion on my future goals and how i plan to attain them.a long talk on my weakness,and that followed with two qs on acads ,handled one but the other one was a bouncer 'wht do u understand by least square',had no idea abt it.
then r u sentimental/emotional abt being an engineer?
followed by,'i have ahypothesis abt u:u r a technologist not a manager' speak first in favour of then against this,justifying ur self.
then a little bit of qs abt family backgrnd,followed by a thanku.
it took anywhere bn 20 to 25 mins.
well thats abt it and now i am through with all my interviews.
all the best to guys having them in coming days

IIMB interview:26/3/2003 2 pm
Gd topic: college students should be encouraged to join political parties

Tell me bout urself
Why gap between june 2001 and feb 2002?
How is scorpio doing?
What is vendor certification? Does it guarantee quality, cost and delivery?
What is eoq?..derive the expression.
Tell me ur subjects in production engineering
What is kanban?
What forecasting techniques do u know?
What is quenching?
What is drilling and boring?
What is ur rank in class?

Tell us ur interests?
Who won the magasaysay award?
What does asha do?
Do u know any other Indian who has won? Has another Indian won?

Which state has its language as English? It is not a trick question
Name the north east states? How many r there?
Who is the cm of himachal pradesh?
Who won the elections there?
Who is the cm of jharkhand?
Do u know what happened there?
What Is the language in Andhra pradesh? In kerela?
Do u know anton balasingham is?where does he live?

Why do u want to leave mahindra and come to iimb?
Please give me ur certificates?
(as he is going thru certificates)
Your aims are laudable but I think that entrepreneurs of any kind shouldnt come to iimsworst place for them
You play the piano?..there is no piano at iimb
Ok good..!! thank you!

the first guy asked me 'What do u know about Antony Balasingham?'. Told him about his involvement in the peace process in Sri Lanka.

Do u know anton balasingham is?where does he live?

hey Lyndon
looks like u were in the same panel as of Bharath...

or by any chance...this balasingam an alumnus of IIMB

The B experience:
GD topic: Management is an art, not a science.
Decent discussion given the topic. 6 ppl.
PI: very decent. Most questions on work ex. Details of Requirement Analysis in SDLC, TCS, CMC related queries, Lessons learnt in trip to Manchester etc etc.
Lastly some questions about the kind of books I read.
Was very satisfied at the end.
Rating 7.5/10(Minor Faux pas in teh SDLC questions)

hi,
had my iimb gd/pi yesterday.
GD: "indians have very little in common that bind them together".
Again the gd turned out to be the sore point as I could come in again just once after starting the gd. Was around 20 min.
Interview was almost an allround analysis.
I had to rate my acads at engg.Discusiion on exams are important or not.then they asked about my intersets and we had discussion on Linux, GPL..,my linux project and crosswords.Then the strengths and weaknesses, campus placement. then the other guy went back to my acads and asked about my improvement exams.Then some tech stuff lime MST algorithms, its application and lastly about the management books i read.i told them the last one i read was " count ur chickens before they hatch" by arindam chaudhury. As soon as he heard that name he looked at his partner with a big smile.(Think he thought chaudhury to be a crap).He asked about what was in the book and any other book i read.
after the interview i was pretty happy about the answers i gave but not the way in which i gave it .There were quite a few pauses and stammers.Now pretty relieved that the whole process is over

Regards
Anoop