[2002]iimb.....gd/pi experiance

hi guyz…one of my friends had a call from iim b last year and made it to iimb…here is the mail he sent me after the gd/interview. Hope it helps u guyz…coz from the past few messages…i guess quite a number of u guyz r gona get calls :…

hi guyz....one of my friends had a call from iim b last year and made it to iimb......here is the mail he sent me after the gd/interview. Hope it helps u guyz...coz from the past few messages....i guess quite a number of u guyz r gona get calls 😃 .......... anyways....goodluck for the "ROAD AHEAD"(book by bill gates....trivia)
regards
bingo
ps.....praks is me and vincy is my friend.......thats just for general gyan

Hi praks,

I had my IIM B gd / pi yesterday in the post-lunch session at IIM B.

The salient points are as follows :

There were 12 candidates for the post lunch session, and they were divided into two groups of 7 and 5 candidates. There was a panel of 2 profs for each gp. I was in the group with 7 candidates.

Group Discussion :
1. We were explained the rules of the whole process before hand when we entered the room.
2. The seating was done in the serial order in which they had our names on paper; there were no name-placards; while waiting outside I had a chance to interact with other candidates and hence came to know the names of a few of them.
3. We were given a sheet of paper with the topic written on it and were given 4 minutes to think about the topic : " WHEN A MANAGER IS ANGRY WITH HIS SUBORDINATE, HE SHOULD SPEAK SOFTLY TO HIM, AND NOT SHOUT "
4. After the 4 minutes the GD commenced; it was extremely cordial and the group dynamics was very conducive for a constructive discussion; the fact that the topic was not a "hot issue" also contributed to a fairly decent GD.
5. The panel stopped us after 20 minutes; now we were given a form; on one side of this form we had to summarise the GD; on the other ! side were 4 questions :
a) Which person has influenced you the most and why ?
b) Tell us one event in your life that had a lasting impression on you and why ?
c) Who is the person you would like to become like and why ?
d) Did you take any coaching for CAT and / or interviews ? If yes, then where ?
We were given 15 minutes to complete this form ( summary + questions ) and were told that the summary will be evaluated.
6. The two sheets ( the form and the sheet whic had the gd topic and ) were collected after this process.

Personal Interview :

1. The questions were mainly personal ; based on what one had written in the IIM B Form , SOP and the answers to the questions given after the GD.
2. There were pressure tactics used; for e.g I was asked that my hand writing was very similar to my Prof's hand writing in the recommendation letter I had collected from him ! I just had to stick to my point that the reco. was given to me in a sealed envelope. I guess this was a resilience test.

Other questions were :
3. Why do you want to leave Lucent and join IIM B ?
4. What are you doing to pursue your interest in graphic design ? ( I had indicated my interest in graphic design in my SOP ).

Then there was a blanket question :
5. What do you think are the problems India is facing today ? This lead to a flurry of questions depending on the answers ......... mine varied from the way to tackle the Ayodhya issue ..... labour law reforms in India .... need for change in bankruptcy laws , etc.

My last question in PI was :
6. Do you have any questions from us ?

My views about the entire gd / pi exercise :

i ) Turning up atleast 30 minutes early gives you a chance to interact with people and this loosens up the tension to a great extent.
ii) When you are given a paper with the topic written on it and you have to jot down your initial points on that paper itself, make sure that your thought process is depicted clearly on the paper.
iii) The 4 questions which have to be answered on paper after the GD might be testing the consistency of the information you have already provided in your IIM B form.
iv) Be prepared with some questions which you can ask the panel ( if they ask you to do so ).

That's about it !
regards
vincy

Hi Bingo , How did your friend's CAT paper go ? Did he recieve other calls ? How bout some information on attempts/approx score and their like.

And hey, nice sig you have got there !

man! that signature is scary as hell...sounds like a sadist ... *bhago*

:drinking: no need to "bhago" and all...... im a simple living creature:wink:
u guyz always online?
anyways....my friends attempts were 74 and he got a call from b and i......took up only b interview and cleared
bingo

simple living creature with such a signature? *hmmm*

u guyz always online?

seems like it...;) but we do sleep..trust me, we do ..and we do a lot of other stuff too .. like stuff at home, and things outside the home, and studying and preparing for CAT - well pagalguy doesn't need to study though..
well pagalguy doesn't need to study though..

LOL and he will around here for the next batch of CAT aspirants . I'll soon become to most experienced Ex-CAT aspirant !

LOL and he will around here for the next batch of CAT aspirants . I'll soon become to most experienced Ex-CAT aspirant !

well if that's not what your intentions are..then it's 2 things:

1) you feel you don't need to study
2) YOU BETTER START STUDYING PAGAL!!

ps. i'll be the clown for the CAT aspirants :wink:

1) you feel you don't need to study

No way... I need to study.

2) YOU BETTER START STUDYING PAGAL!!

Sure will.. soon

alright pagalguy, start soon :wink: -- good luck 😃

nice tip, I appriciate it!! :smile:

please do NOT bump up old threads unless you have something specific in terms of adding value....This is a two year old thread and n00bs might be mistaken in assuming that gd/pi process has started for IIMB.....

Cheers