2 year MBA after 5 year work ex.

Is doing a MBA worthwile after completing 5 years in an IT company? If so, what are the recommended Bschools? DOn’t know if any one else outthere is on the same boat or a smaller boat… Pitch in with your ideas. Cheers. ::

Is doing a MBA worthwile after completing 5 years in an IT company? If so, what are the recommended Bschools?

DOn't know if any one else outthere is on the same boat or a smaller boat.. Pitch in with your ideas.

Cheers.

same here !

Is doing a MBA worthwile after completing 5 years in an IT company? If so, what are the recommended Bschools?

DOn't know if any one else outthere is on the same boat or a smaller boat.. Pitch in with your ideas.

Cheers.

Depends on current position and package.
coolg219 Says

Position is of somehwere between a senior programmer and a lead.. Where should the buck stop when choosing MBA colleges for 2 year course?

Same here.. Though I dont have 5 years of experience, but when I compare my current package, I cant think of BSchools beyond India's top 20 but when I look at the kind of work I am doing here, I feel that MBA from an average BSchool is also a better option to get rid of this monotonus job..

Hi PUYS

On the same boat as to say in a similar position..

3.6 yrs work-ex but as i work in a Telecomm MNC,but my package is a real tension so i am very definite to go for a Full time MBA

When we say Top 20.. Is the MBAs from IITs considered good for experienced folks?

mustang28 Says
When we say Top 20.. Is the MBAs from IITs considered good for experienced folks?

Yes definitely IIT-B and D are there i suppose

Correct me somebody if i am worng
dhvanil.mba Says
Same here.. Though I dont have 5 years of experience, but when I compare my current package, I cant think of BSchools beyond India's top 20 but when I look at the kind of work I am doing here, I feel that MBA from an average BSchool is also a better option to get rid of this monotonus job..

feeling same .....
piyalipal Says
feeling same .....

Cheers.

Come on PUYS if u want to do it then just go for it....why to ask anybody else..if somebody says no then will u not go for it ???

IF yes then u will not be happy in that i suppose(pure assumption)

IF no then why to ask just go for it...

Simple lines are sometimes very hard to follow:-

Do what you love...dont put it other way round,cause u cannot submit yourself to the normal rules and regulations and that a proof that u dont want to thats y u r asking all this....

the whole world is telling me to not to leave my job but i have already done that and i am going for the same,cause i know i will b able to do it...have belief in urself..

All the best...

Sometimes decisions are hard but remember the life u will be having after ur decision will only be urs and u will only be responsible for that and nobody else....

So do what you feel like is right,,

All the best

Very often, we feel that MBA is only for money...But then, most of the people(including me) want to go for MBA after getting frustrated with their current job profile...After my B.E, I had never thought that after getting selected in TCS, I will have to prepare documents which includes USer Manuals and QRG...Even my friends who are in the testing domain are fed up with the monotonous nature of work...So most of us want to escape from this situation and MBA is the best pasaage for the same...

And yeah, someone asked about mba from IIT(s)...IIT B & D are surely in top 10, keeping IIM(s) aside and IIT kgp is a notch lower...IIT kanpur, Roorkee & Madras give an excellent ROI and you get the right to being called an IIT-ian for your lifetime!!!

Nice topic and I can fully relate to it.

I think it depends on what are your long term goals (sounds cliche)

Let me take 2 situations here:

1. You want to change your domain from A to Z.

Pros:
- I think it may make more sense in such situations to go for a 2 year MBA. If someone isn't very sure which domain to move into or wants to shift from IT to finance (say), you would get much more time to get acquainted with the new domain and its nitty-gritties. An internship is definitely a very good option to try out whether the new domain that you want to jump into, how is it to work in that domain.

Cons:
- Adcom will ask for a definitive reason why you want to shift and what have you done in those 5 years to show your inclination towards new domain.

- You might start from a lower level as compared to a person who is from finance domain and goes into finance after an MBA. Egos need to be kept at bay here :)

- Learning from peers might not be that fruitful especially if you find your batch mates mostly freshers or in the work ex range of 0 to 3 yrs.

You don't want to change your domain but progress further into a related field.

Pros:
- I think this makes more sense for people like us who have worked for 5 years or so and want to progress in a related field and can show that an MBA is the right step towards one's goal.
eg. A technical coder can move to IT consulting or business development or xyz.
- A few b schools do provide an internship opportunities and not everyone does. This is a plus.
- Learning from peers is great since the average workex range is high for 1 year MBAs programs.
- Get back to work soon

Cons:
- Hectic life
- Extra hard work required if you want to change your field

PS: A few people do make complete shifts from A to Z in one year MBAs also. Just depends on person to person.

Having said all that, a few other factors such as ROI, job location, current salary, family factors etc. also come into picture when making such decisions. Since it depends on person to person, I haven't said anything about those.

Strictly my views.

Let's discuss more 😃

Come on PUYS if u want to do it then just go for it....why to ask anybody else..if somebody says no then will u not go for it ???

IF yes then u will not be happy in that i suppose(pure assumption)

IF no then why to ask just go for it...

Simple lines are sometimes very hard to follow:-

Do what you love...dont put it other way round,cause u cannot submit yourself to the normal rules and regulations and that a proof that u dont want to thats y u r asking all this....

the whole world is telling me to not to leave my job but i have already done that and i am going for the same,cause i know i will b able to do it...have belief in urself..

All the best...

Sometimes decisions are hard but remember the life u will be having after ur decision will only be urs and u will only be responsible for that and nobody else....

So do what you feel like is right,,

All the best

I working in Tata power delhi distribution limitted since 4 years 6 months...But frustrated with my job profile...doing kind of frustarting job...can anybody suggest me if i get call IIT kanpur, IIT madras...should i go for it or not ? I have no proper idea future after MBA like these college...suggession please...

Cheers.

coolg219 Says

dhvanil.mba Says

i am also from IT...2.5 yrs exp....i know that IT companies are now days offering packages comparable to non top B-schools or even more than that....
But if you are looking for a job profile change then it is always the best option to go for MBA.....
I don't know about you but in my case i am getting 5 lacs PA now i can easily get 6-7 if i switch to another company.....but i feel some 5-6 years down the line this job, salary will lack newness and excitement......

Having 5 yrs of exp you will have a added advantage of good industry experience which will help you during the selection process
i am also from IT...2.5 yrs exp....i know that IT companies are now days offering packages comparable to non top B-schools or even more than that....
But if you are looking for a job profile change then it is always the best option to go for MBA.....
I don't know about you but in my case i am getting 5 lacs PA now i can easily get 6-7 if i switch to another company.....but i feel some 5-6 years down the line this job, salary will lack newness and excitement......

Having 5 yrs of exp you will have a added advantage of good industry experience which will help you during the selection process

I also think the same. Many folks around me are talking just about RoI after MBA and they compare RoI directly to the average package of a B-School. And I am sure that Most of the Non IIMs have avg. package lower than what today a Tier - 1 IT company is offering to 2.5+ years work ex guys. But they forget that the package which IT companies are providing is almost at Saturation level for a techie while pachage after passing out from a Bschool is the start up package.. So here you have much more chances of growth... Though while considering this you have to keep aside your 2 years salary+BSchool Fees....

I think its a good post & deserve to be alive.Alumni of B-Schools please comment on your experiences after MBA ...

This is what i think.. i might be totally wrong..

After BE, MBA is an career option to many.. but those stuck with a techie job with more than 5 years of exp, MBA seems to be the MOST obvious soln.. but again with getting frustrated with the job profile and saturated package and mundane life, MBA would appear as an ONLY option left... but that is totally not the case..

start loving what you have and you life is in bliss... money is never sufficient for any one.. ask any MBA, and even they will crib about their package CTC... learn a little bit of financial planning and you get richer than another MBA dude from XYZ college..

for a person with 5 years of exp.. I think MBA should be an option only of you want to change/grow-into your domain, learn and get specialized skillset... i too am around 4 + years of exp.. but i dont have inclination for spending 2 years jobless + spending hard earned money into fees and expense.. and again restarting with a new journey with new job.. which i am sure will get frustrated after doing that for 5 years..

So to answer the question...
"Is doing a MBA worthwile after completing 5 years in an IT company? If so, what are the recommended Bschools?"

Please answer HOW BADlY YOU WANT TO DO AN mba...
WHY TO DO ONLY MBA, WHEN YOU COULD POSSIBLY BE DOING ELSE...
WILL YOU BE ABLE TO MAINTAIN YOUR LIFESTYLE FOR 2 YEARS TILL THE TIME YOU DO MBA.. etc.. etc

if answer to these question is YES, MBA is the only option.. then stop wasting time any further and get done with it.. else stop cribbing and start thinking ways to change life... and take measurable ACTION...

Good luck brothers.. :)

Hey Guys,
My self Vikash. I have 52 months experience with a Leading Bank in Project financing department. I am 2007 B.Tech pass out. Now I feel that MBA in finance is must must for me.Now shall I aim for 1 year or two year MBA? My Details are-
10th- 73.1%
12th- 57.8%
B.Tech-78.5%

I have also joined a CAT coaching institute where my Mock CAT Score are between 80to 85 %ile. I hope I can end up with 90%ile in CAT or XAT.

Please tell shall I go ahead for which MBA? and Can I really get into good- B Shools with this type of average acads.??

It really works! as in this digital era many MNC's are looking for the candidates who are having technical knowledge as well as management, business knowledge. MBA can add value to your designation and can get much handsome package too. If you are looking for top business schools in India, you can go for IIMB, IIM, Acharya bbs etc . You can go for any one of them.